Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s Games 2023-2024

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Yep, that's offside.

So many confused comments on here about the line being drawn from the foot or the shoulder... it's neither. It's drawn from the ball because that's the point that matters. The body position of the no.9 is 100% irrelevant to offside or not. Only important if Trossard is in front of the ball or not. He was... just about. So he was offside, just about.

So many awful decisions around, we don't need to complain about the tight correct ones... or post misleading screenshots a split second before contact to "prove" one thing or another.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't pre VAR which I think was his point.

It's not pre-VAR though. That horse has bolted now. How would they know it was close so as not to review it, without reviewing it?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other angle was looking at it from a diagonal though. It was clear from the one along the line and if that was given against Wolves just because it was pretty close; everyone here (including you) would be fuming.
Yea but it would be one of those where you moan about but get that it was human error. That offside took ****ing ages, right or wrong you don’t want such stoppages.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yep, that's offside.

So many confused comments on here about the line being drawn from the foot or the shoulder... it's neither. It's drawn from the ball because that's the point that matters. The body position of the no.9 is 100% irrelevant to offside or not. Only important if Trossard is in front of the ball or not. He was... just about. So he was offside, just about.

So many awful decisions around, we don't need to complain about the tight correct ones... or post misleading screenshots a split second before contact to "prove" one thing or another.
Glad you said this, was confusing me yesterday, but they've done that by drawing those lines and showing the image. I was starting to wonder if they'd actually changed the law to being behind the player rather than the ball. Mind you I still don't know which point on the ball!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worst ref in the league.

How can mginn holding someone’s foot with his hand not be a yellow?

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yea but it would be one of those where you moan about but get that it was human error. That offside took ****ing ages, right or wrong you don’t want such stoppages.
Agreed. To me it goes against the spirit of the game. I don't want goals ruled out because a player's foot was 1cm offside. That goes for goals scored by us and against us.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he said before VAR. What part of that don't you understand?

That VAR is here, so this is different to pre-VAR. If a still now shows an obvious offside and VAR decide not to review it as they deem it close, everyone will be fuming. What happened pre-VAR is irrelevant.

If you are arguing to get rid of VAR completely, that is also a different argument. Hopefully you can understand that and won't need to keep going down the route of making the interchange hostile.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's no longer human error once VAR looks at it. It was clearly offside and shouldn't have taken as long as it did.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's no longer human error once VAR looks at it. It was clearly offside and shouldn't have taken as long as it did.
Pre VAR it would have been human error, which is the point I’m making.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pre VAR I think most fans would see it as level and therefore fair game in the you get some, some you don't category. But either way, you knew instantly as a fan what the outcome was. And that aspect is what I miss more than anything.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You are arguing something different to me then. The circumstances were different pre-VAR.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Oh FFS, I don't want Villa to score, but there's no offside there, that's ridiculous to even be looking. One freezeframe, move on.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cracking game at Tottingham. How it's only 1-1, not sure. Could be 4-4.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, yea… that’s the point everybody is making.

And I'm making the point that that horse has bolted, which you are all ignoring and pretending I don't understand.

Whether you would have been OK with it pre-VAR is irrelevant to whether you would be OK with it now VAR is here. If a goal was given against Wolves that was clearly offside now, none of you would be OK with it if VAR just said, 'well it was close'.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate VAR as much as anyone I really do. But I think 90% of my problem with it is due to offsides and the killing of spontaneity that goes along with that. And you cannot underplay how significant that is to fans. We pay stupid money, travel around the country and do so for decades and decades all because of that moment when your team scores a goal.

So for something so significant to be tainted so often is horrendous. I don't understand why those who support or are generally passive toward VAR don't feel the same way as me about it. And the worst thing is that I don't see any way that it's ever fixed no matter how much it improves overall.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yup, madness to check that.
Just feel Gillett is ****ting himself every time. I'd love to have heard the air traffic controllers with them.

Pilot - am I good to land on runway 2?
Gillett 'Hang on 'just checking the runway is clear'
Pilot - but I'm 200m from touching down
Gillett - hang on, I'll be get back to you in a couple of minutes.....

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two sides with zero defensive control

Spurs capitulate the moment anything bad happens to them

Fully expect a Villa win here and another spurs injury or red card

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hate VAR as much as anyone I really do. But I think 90% of my problem with it is due to offsides and the killing of spontaneity that goes along with that. And you cannot underplay how significant that is to fans. We pay stupid money, travel around the country and do so for decades and decades all because of that moment when your team scores a goal.

So for something so significant to be tainted so often is horrendous. I don't understand why those who support or are generally passive toward VAR don't feel the same way as me about it. And the worst thing is that I don't see any way that it's ever fixed no matter how much it improves overall.
And yet those in ground don’t have a clue.

30 seconds look on screen in ground with fans watching for a clear and obvious mistake

Why’s it so hard

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh FFS, I don't want Villa to score, but there's no offside there, that's ridiculous to even be looking. One freezeframe, move on.

That farce smacked totally of what we all have been coming across in our lives, job justification merchants ! I

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think you can make much of a judgement on these to be honest. I thought the pen he gave against Wood was correct, pulled down a player in a dangerous position. The one he didn't give onfield, that VAR told him to, was much more dubious for me.

I did get the impression that he lost it a bit, but Dunk obviously said something pretty out of order first time, got a yellow and just carried on (but presumably worse). Yes players use bad language all the time, but the line is generally drawn between, "that's a ****ing awful decision" and "you're a *******". They've been told to crack down on dissent (rightly IMO) so Dunk can have no complaints for me and the whataboutery on language when we don't generally know what's been said is a bit silly.
Agree about the pens, Brighton one I could sort of get, but a bit soft. And if they gave them consistently there would be 10 pens a game. Forest pen, like you still think it was very dubious.

I think Dunk first up was just arguing the toss, as they all do. Not sure what he did say, had his back to Taylor when he said it, and was a straight red.

wasnt trying to throw in any whataboutery - just think in general there is no consistency around the new directive to cut out dissent. Some get carded, some don’t.
Did Dunk deserve it? Probably. But you see so many games with players telling the ref To **** off, with no action.
Apply the rule consistently or don’t apply it.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Couldn’t agree more. When the initial euphoria of Lemina's goal against Spurs had subsided I stood staring at the screen waiting for 'VAR checking for offside' to be displayed. I was the willing the players to kick off so that I could relax.
It shouldn't be like that. Pre VAR a quick glance at the the linesman was all that was required and then you can go mental.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, that's offside.

The angle they used was a strange one though. This looks on…or at least not off…

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 18

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely no way VAR is accurate when it’s that tight. It’s guesswork.
This is what bugs me when people who support VAR say that offside is offside.

The technology is just not there to decide that someone is 1cm offside. And how do they determine the precise moment that a ball was released? One frame can be the difference between on or offside.

Back
Top Bottom