Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Today’s games - 2021-22

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s amazing what selling a player and actually replacing them can do what is that sorcery.

Getting more impressed by Matt Cash every time I see them. I think he is just the kind of wing back/full back we could do with.

Also, Villa got a new set piece coach in - and they were decent at them before. It's amazing what actually fixing what needs fixing can do, instead of ignoring it in favour of an endless list of lame excuses while spending money to help out your mates. At least our record label is better than theirs.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa player pulls McGuire down in box, same as one Marcal conceded, not given. Where's the consistency. This is seriously ****ing me off.
Wife watching Boro. Boro player gets a straight red for trying to score when he and the keeper both went for the ball. Commentary on Sky adamant it wasn’t anywhere near a red. Ref couldn’t see the tackle properly because of players between him and the tackle, so how can be give a red? English refs are a joke.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa are better than us front to back
I think the main difference is midfield. John McGinn looks a REALLY good player. Luiz is quality too. Actually Matty Cash is good aswell. bah, at least we have Fabio...

Srsly though Bruno, Ronaldo was my FF captain today

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Fernandes channelling his inner Ruben Neves.

Both Wolves and Villa deserved to beat Man United. We didn't (we even lost). Looks like Villa will be. Luck or skill? Mixture of both?

Mixture of both? Villa looked like they created better chances than us - they were unlucky when Ramsey slipped when he would probably have scored, just a few minutes before the goal. Time was when they had just 1 player good enough for us. I think they have 5 or 6 who would stroll into our side now. (Martinez, Cash, Ings, McGinn, Buendia, Luiz...)

They looked more balanced than us. It's about judgement - what are your weakness and how do you fix them? What are you're strenghts and how do you play to them? Given your resources, of course. And the results, and especially the league table ultimately tell you how good a job you've done of all that. Anybody can talk a good game, talk is cheap etc! I never rated Dean Smith, seems he's taken them in the right direction though. Most of what he's done appears to be "no brainers" - as said earlier, sensible replacements for big money sales, working on your weaknesses. Is the difference that their owners allow him what he wants, rather than telling him "you can't have that, here, have this instead and make the most of it"?

<EDIT> The penalty miss was the luck of the devil, of course!

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They do look more balanced, but I refuse to believe it's a fundamental 'better players' issue. I mean, Kourtney Hause scored the winner today! Our mentality is not what it was.

I think they look better not because of better players, but because there team is better balanced.
As an example we've an attacking coach that wants to play high pressing game, yet our defenders are quite slow and our midfielders not exactly well suited to that.
But its not just style of players. There squad is well balanced while we've too few decent defender's and only 3 midfielders.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Villa are a decent side but the biggest advantage they have is the keeper who has developed into one of the best in the League.

He was good for us after that absolute horror of a debut but has improved beyond recognition these last couple of seasons.

Despite spending ridiculous amounts of money (again), United look fairly ordinary. We should have beaten them and only didn’t due to a combination of poor finishing, poor officiating and not having somebody of Martinez’s quality in goal.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they look better not because of better players, but because there team is better balanced.
As an example we've an attacking coach that wants to play high pressing game, yet our defenders are quite slow and our midfielders not exactly well suited to that.
But its not just style of players. There squad is well balanced while we've too few decent defender's and only 3 midfielders.

Also, when they did counter attack, several players bombed forward in support and it always looked like they *knew* what they were supposed to do. Not just Villa, but it's similar with most counter attacking teams, it's not rocket science. But we don't look like that. Often there will be 2 players in the same place...the wrong place! The breaking player has to stop, slow down, look around to see where the others are. This is all the result of 4 years of playing that way under Nuno, when we were blessed with 2 or 3 individuals who could do it all by themselves.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mandatory Man Utd pen. Probably not incorrect decision but wouldn't been given in the other end..
Calamitous penalty kick though..
Deserved Villa win. Pains me how they've overtaken us, despite us having a solid lead on them after getting promoted.
Shows the price of standing still and having no ambition or good recruitment strategy
But well done to Villa. Always nice to see Utd lose, even to them.
The one at West Ham was given last week.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the main difference is midfield. John McGinn looks a REALLY good player. Luiz is quality too. Actually Matty Cash is good aswell. bah, at least we have Fabio...

Srsly though Bruno, Ronaldo was my FF captain today
Their keeper is better, their defence is better, midfield is 50/50, their strikers are (currently) better and their wide players are more productive.

Urggh, I hate it

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa are a decent side but the biggest advantage they have is the keeper who has developed into one of the best in the League.

He was good for us after that absolute horror of a debut but has improved beyond recognition these last couple of seasons.

Despite spending ridiculous amounts of money (again), United look fairly ordinary. We should have beaten them and only didn’t due to a combination of poor finishing, poor officiating and not having somebody of Martinez’s quality in goal.

Yep. But those same issues will remain until fixed. Obviously the ref can't be fixed - he was awful today, as usual. How often are we going to be saying: "we're a top half team, apart from the finishing, slow defence, poor set pieces, lightweight midfield, inconsistent wing backs...not forgetting the injuries, of course."? Well, every week while the problems remain. Meanwhile the teams who have decent finishing, strength in depth, good set pieces, composed finishers etc will be the *actual* mid-table and higher teams. Instead of "theoretical" mid-table. In the end it seems summed up as "we would be top 8 team if we weren't the bottom 8 team we actually are". :rolleyes:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. But those same issues will remain until fixed. Obviously the ref can't be fixed - he was awful today, as usual. How often are we going to be saying: "we're a top half team, apart from the finishing, slow defence, poor set pieces, lightweight midfield, inconsistent wing backs...not forgetting the injuries, of course."? Well, every week while the problems remain. Meanwhile the teams who have decent finishing, strength in depth, good set pieces, composed finishers etc will be the *actual* mid-table and higher teams. Instead of "theoretical" mid-table. In the end it seems summed up as "we would be top 8 team if we weren't the bottom 8 team we actually are". :rolleyes:
Well said.

Leicester 0-1 burnley. Foxes always seem to struggle against the cloggers.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't been that impressed with man united. I think they will drop points all over the place, despite having an embarrassment of riches.
A bit more fortune and we would have beaten them 5.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said.

Leicester 0-1 burnley. Foxes always seem to struggle against the cloggers.

Burnley work within their limitations. Their current run in the Premier League , far ahead of about 20 other clubs who would say they are as big (eg Forest,Sheff W & U, Derby, QPR, Sunderland, Boro etc) suggests they are doing something right. Hope they go down this season though. And Leicester continue to flatter to deceive... (are you reading that Vardy? I said Hause was rubbish and he scored, so get off your bike and get me some Prediction League points :))

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also villa have better options up front at the moment. I don't think we'll be saying that by the end of the year. Keeper. Yup. Midfield? Not a chance. Mccann would be on our bench most of the time.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley work within their limitations. Their current run in the Premier League , far ahead of about 20 other clubs who would say they are as big (eg Forest,Sheff W & U, Derby, QPR, Sunderland, Boro etc) suggests they are doing something right. Hope they go down this season though. And Leicester continue to flatter to deceive... (are you reading that Vardy? I said Hause was rubbish and he scored, so get off your bike and get me some Prediction League points :))
Burnley always Burnley it so I have no doubt they will do just that again.

Down to 19th as it stands :)

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those of a nervous disposition- don’t look at the live table right now

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank god for Norwich
I think they will most likely drop. Watford look likely to join them (although by no means certain - they do have something about them). I desperately hope we won't be the third team. I don't think Fosun will hesitate if we are in the bottom three after 10 games. I mean - 13th wasn't good enough last season to stop them from sacking Nuno.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they will most likely drop. Watford look likely to join them (although by no means certain - they do have something about them). I desperately hope we won't be the third team. I don't think Fosun will hesitate if we are in the bottom three after 10 games. I mean - 13th wasn't good enough last season to stop them from sacking Nuno.

Watching as many matches as possible today, assessing the competition. Been watching Everton v Norwich. We're better than Norwich, so good news there . Going to switch to Watford Newcastle in hope of finding another 2 teams that look worse than us :) How about Burnley? Are they same as ever? Uninspiring but solid enough to ensure 3 are worse than them?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching as many matches as possible today, assessing the competition. Been watching Everton v Norwich. We're better than Norwich, so good news there . Going to switch to Watford Newcastle in hope of finding another 2 teams that look worse than us :) How about Burnley? Are they same as ever? Uninspiring but solid enough to ensure 3 are worse than them?
Every time I watch Newcastle they look absolutely dreadful and then ASM does something magical. Burney will always Burnley their way through games. I hated having to rely on other games back in the Mick days. We need Bruno to mastermind back to back wins. I always use that as a the gauge of a decent team. Any old team can pick up the odd win - it's winning 2/3/4 in a row that is the sign of decent teams with winning mentality. Even last season we were able to do that a few times.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Faith, you know you're gonna live through the rain,
Lord we gotta keep the faith,
Faith, don't let your love turn to hate,
Right now we've gotta keep the faith,
Keep the faith,
Keep the faith,
Lord we gotta keep the faith!!! Lol.

FWAW /\_/\

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every time I watch Newcastle they look absolutely dreadful and then ASM does something magical. Burney will always Burnley their way through games. I hated having to rely on other games back in the Mick days. We need Bruno to mastermind back to back wins. I always use that as a the gauge of a decent team. Any old team can pick up the odd win - it's winning 2/3/4 in a row that is the sign of decent teams with winning mentality. Even last season we were able to do that a few times.

Watford are making Newcastle look like Brazil! Though you have to see the open goal Newcastle just totally messed up :D It's that bad finishing, reminds me of us.

But yes, Watford are going to be down there. I think Newcastle will do what they do these days. Play abysmally most of the time then do just enough to get to safety.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Watford are making Newcastle look like Brazil! Though you have to see the open goal Newcastle just totally messed up :D It's that bad finishing, reminds me of us.

But yes, Watford are going to be down there. I think Newcastle will do what they do these days. Play abysmally most of the time then do just enough to get to safety.
Been watching Watford v Newcastle too and Newcastle are playing really well. Thought they also played quite well against Leeds last week. Not sure if Newcastle are performing really well with great pressing and keeping possession of the ball, or whether Watford are just awful.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
anyone who thinks we will not be in a relegation scrap is deluded. we are in the mire big time
I mean....it's all about results. If we keep losing, of course we will be. It sounds daft, but it's completely self-evident. Any side that loses as many games as we do will be at the wrong end of the table.

4 HUGE games coming up.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been watching Watford v Newcastle too and Newcastle are playing really well. Thought they also played quite well against Leeds last week. Not sure if Newcastle are performing really well with great pressing and keeping possession of the ball, or whether Watford are just awful.

Same here. Bit of both, Watford are way short of that side of 2 years ago with Doucoure etc, though. Saint-Maximin and Traore are very similar. Both just leave defenders in their wakes and then ... nothing much happens. Though wouldn't be surprised if A S-M actual end product isn't better than Traore's this past season or so. 2 goals and 3 assists so far this season, compared to 0 goals 0 assists.

Yes, given all the other matches, just watched the final 15 mins of this one expecting a dire affair and it's been really entertaining. Willock also impressive for Newcastle. If Willock and Saint-Maximin stay uninjured and on form, I think they have enough about them to avoid trouble,. If Bruce could strengthen in some other areas, they could even race up the table.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Fosun will act quickly if results aren’t attained in the next 4 games

Back
Top Bottom