Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tika Taka Tika Taka ..Wanderers!!

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Promsing - totally agree re the gaps point. Our midfield was in no mans land last season.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd imagine this mean playing quite a high defensive line, I can't see Johnson fitting into that in all honesty.

NOKASPLACE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything I hear from Stale is impressive. I just hope he does not "talk a good game" and he can transfer it to the pitch...

Promising though...

K

Kamma

So if Swansea playing total football like Barca is called Swansealona, then what will you call wolves? Wolvesealona?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAw8oBXmkVE"]Swansealona Playing Total Football - Lita Goal - YouTube[/nomedia]

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all my time watching Wolves under Mick I can't recall many games where we have defended as a team - quite the opposite actually - so it is excellent news that he is trying to organise us as early as possible, more so especially when taking into consideration that even those who won't be in the starting eleven will know their roles if and when they're called upon. Over the last three seasons we have spent the majority of the time looking a disjointed team.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the very least it'll be amusing to watch if they display the same levels of ball control, movement and team work as they did last season!!!

I'm sure Staale knows what he's doing though. I'm more excited about this upcoming season than I have been since promotion.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One-touch passing, which typified that Swansea move, is very hard, though. Foley can do it well and I think Forde can. Ned can but I'm not sure about the rest.

DawleyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
take out the skills of barcelona and you still have an extremely organized hard working defensive (from the front) team that closes down the opposition - I guess that is the part that Staale is starting with

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really hope this translates onto the pitch.

Don't want to get over-excited but the club, players and staff are making all the right noises at the moment.

Would be great to see us more compact and harder to break down. Tired of us being known as a side that "puts a shift in" even when we get slapped. Seems we could be adopting a similar approach to that of them down the road (under Woy).

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One-touch passing, which typified that Swansea move, is very hard, though. Foley can do it well and I think Forde can. Ned can but I'm not sure about the rest.

I think Staale is alluding more to how Barcelona play defensively as opposed to their attacking play. I do see your point though, but I think there are actually more good footballers in our squad than we realise - Kightly, Fletcher and Doyle for example are all capable in my opinion.

If nothing else when Staale does leave the club in the future, there will be an imprint of this style of play for future players and managers to (hopefully) work with. Very Swansea-esque.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Staale is alluding more to how Barcelona play defensively as opposed to their attacking play. I do see your point though, but I think there are actually more good footballers in our squad than we realise - Kightly, Fletcher and Doyle for example are all capable in my opinion.

If nothing else when Staale does leave the club in the future, there will be an imprint of this style of play for future players and managers to (hopefully) work with. Very Swansea-esque.

Swansea (under Rogers) adopted this. They have certain areas where they put serious pressure on the opposition.

Barca, I think, started a 7 second rule whereby once they lost possession they would pressure extremely hard and as a team to try and win the ball back. If they didn't do it within that certain period of time, they dropped back into pressurizing the opposition in certain areas.

If Staale can successfully gets us to do this, it would be fantastic.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Step forward Nenad Milijas.

Yep. There are not too many others who are composed on the ball or who can pass to a man rather than pump hopefull safe balls into the channels.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All sounds very encouraging but we need the kind of players who can play to an intelligent system. It will be interesting to see who can adapt intelligently and who can't, who has good enough technique, who doesn't. It will take time for everyone to lose the bad habits formed under McCarthy and his unsackable sidekick.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Accuse me of being cynical if you want but SS said something like 'We're Wolverhampton and people will know that we play in a certain way' - I really haven't got a clue what he's trying to say? If he's trying to introduce a passing/movement game and to play in a more thoughtful way he will have big trouble with most of our squad. He's only got a few weeks to transform not only the way this lot think and play but to give them qualities that most just do not possess. I just don't think he's got the time or the personalities (esp if we should lose SF, J and KD) to make this overhaul by August 18? I really, really hope SS proves me wrong but from what I understand he is trying to do, it is light-years ahead of most of our players. If it goes wrong it could go spectacularly wrong?

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're playing a system where that are less gaps between players, then it makes sense to play Elokobi and Ebanks-Blake. Between those two, they block out the equivalent of 9 gaps :D

D

Dewsburywolf

Wasn't it against Tottenham in the second season that we had something like eighteen passes before scoring (Dave Jones??)

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't it against Tottenham in the second season that we had something like eighteen passes before scoring (Dave Jones??)
I thought it was 30+ passes? And that's what annoyed me most about MM - occassionally the players showed they had some ability but MM's style of play did not encourage creativity, hence we hardly ever saw Milijas.

D

Dewsburywolf

I thought it was 30+ passes? And that's what annoyed me most about MM - occassionally the players showed they had some ability but MM's style of play did not encourage creativity, hence we hardly ever saw Milijas.

To be honest I'm not sure how many it was but I was just trying to emphasise that we can do it but people only seem to want to bang on about us playing hoofball

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find these comments quite interesting. A Bit of a dig at McCarthy and Connor's "style" perhaps?

“He wants us to play in a proper style of football"

and

“He’s talked about what we can do with the ball to score goals and how we can develop the play with the ball, but we have to make sure we play football".

On another note, if we're going to be playing with a high defense playing as a unit, and close passing football, then personally, I think we could have some surprises in the starting line-up. I think that with that style of play, Henry could actually miss out to Guedioura because Guedioura offers the defensive cover that Henry has - but Guedioura is a bit more creative in his play once he's got the ball. I also think that we could play with four "solid" midfielders, rather than two central midfielders and two wingers - therefore, I think that Jarvis may be sold, and Kightly could miss out.

With that system in mind, I think we could actually see a line-up something like this:

--------------De Vries (ahead of Hennessey for his distribution)
Foley------Baath------Berra------Elokobi/New LB
Forde------Guedioura------Milijas------O'Hara
-------------------Sigurdarson
----------Fletcher

I'm not saying that thats the line-up i'd like. I just think with the players that we've got, and the system that's likely to be played, those guys would probably suit that system the best.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one has banged on about hoofball in the past 2 seasons more than me on here! This illustrates exactly my frustration with the old regime - we had decent ball players - but they were not encouragede to play. SS has seen the vids and he is trying to change things. Imo 3 things need to happen to achieve this - we need to keep our best players, we need to bring in better players in some positions (funded by a big clear out) and SS needs to stick to his beliefs come what may - which may be difficult if we don't start the season well.

D

Dewsburywolf

I think Kightly could fit into that system RJ's whereas Jarvis possibly couldn't, unless you play him instead of Siggy

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Kightly could fit into that system RJ's whereas Jarvis possibly couldn't, unless you play him instead of Siggy

True - or keep Jarvis out on the left, and put O'Hara in the hole between midfield and striker.

If that were to happen though, I would imagine Jarvis and Kightly, if they were to play in that system, would be instructed to keep the midfield more "rigid" and together - and then we'd perhaps restrict their natural game.

I don't really want to see any players limited in the way that they play - we saw too much of this under McCarthy.

If I thought that Jarvis was going to be told to cut out some of the darting runs from the wing in order to keep the midfield playing more as a unit of four, then i'd rather he was sold - rather than being restricted, not playing to his best as a result - and then his price tag dropping to reflect that.

EDIT: Johnson has also been deliberately left out because I think that, if we're going to be playing with a high defensive line, then that method usually leaves teams vulnerable against opposition with a pacey striker or attacking midfielder - and I think Stale will realise that and opt to leave out Johnson because he's too slow and wouldn't be able to get back quick enough if we were to get caught out playing that method - whereas Berra and Batth are both quicker.

S

Sandwell Wolf

"Guedioura is a better passer than Henry". Not in a million years, Guedioura is a one trick pony and does nothing creative whatsoever unless you consider blasting the ball 50 foot over the bar every time he picks it up "creative".

Also, what's with this new "tika taka" $$$$$$$$? Who made that stupid buzz word up? It's almost as annoying as "Skoobs" and when people say $$$$ like 2-0 to "the good guys".

Good possession football should be called exactly that. $$$$ this "tika taka" nonsense.

D

Denmarkwolf

Progress and playing style

The more I read, the more excited I become over the Solbakken appointment. Alot of the things many of us have seen, thought or shoutet for years, is he now making into a system. It feels almost like watching a movie that you've seen before, but with the wrong ending, and now it finally seems to have the correct action.

Solbakken has specified, in the below link article, talked and trained with the players to work together and be compact. We must hang together between the chains, and push higher up the pitch.

They have looked at DVD, and got an understanding of what Solbakken want. The article mention that they should be less hectic on the field and play with their brains.

Each player get a managertalk, where his duties and responsibilities is clarified, and each time a player comes on the field, he can slide right into the game, because he knows the play style and the tasks he is assigned. Incredibly professional and the players are already responding positively to it. Consider getting a play style where everyone works together. I could se keyplayers wanting to be a part of this, and not leave. Don´t know if Zubar is in Solbakkens plans, but he is allready talking about staying with Wolves. Give it time, dear Wolves fans, it gets really exciting here.

Link to article: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...wolverhampton-wanderers-to-emulate-barcelona/

S

SimplyTheWolves

You can see why Stale wants ball playing defenders who are comfortable on the ball, I don't think any of our defenders looked too comfortable with the ball last season.

I keep getting the impression that patience is the name of the game for Stale, I just hope us fans learn to be so as much as the players have to.

S

Sandwell Wolf

you can see why stale wants ball playing defenders who are comfortable on the ball, i don't think any of our defenders looked too comfortable with the ball last season.

I keep getting the impression that patience is the name of the game for stale, i just hope us fans learn to be so as much as the players have to.

gerrit forrrrwuuuurrrrrddd!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
gerrit forrrrwuuuurrrrrddd!

Hahaha, yes. Might be hearing a fair bit of that this season! It's bad enough when Karl Henry has the audacity to complete a passl to a team mate behind him or next to him when non of his team mates in front of him show for the ball!

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
You can see why Stale wants ball playing defenders who are comfortable on the ball, I don't think any of our defenders looked too comfortable with the ball last season.

I keep getting the impression that patience is the name of the game for Stale, I just hope us fans learn to be so as much as the players have to.

:D...DNA.....are the locals up for some much needed genetic engineering?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

O'Hara can do it better than all of them, if he's fit enough to keep up with the pass back to him.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
O'Hara can do it better than all of them, if he's fit enough to keep up with the pass back to him.

:D.....does he need to be fitter than Ned though?

Don't be surprised if the Egg turns up at some point.

Gueds could be suited too.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Guedioura is a better passer than Henry". Not in a million years, Guedioura is a one trick pony and does nothing creative whatsoever unless you consider blasting the ball 50 foot over the bar every time he picks it up "creative".

Also, what's with this new "tika taka" $$$$$$$$? Who made that stupid buzz word up? It's almost as annoying as "Skoobs" and when people say $$$$ like 2-0 to "the good guys".

Good possession football should be called exactly that. $$$$ this "tika taka" nonsense.
The only reference anywhere near this irritating phrase that I have heard was Souness on Irish TV referrring to Tippy Tappy football.

R

RichDavi

I wish people would stop saying it. Unfortunately the legions of Barcelona glory hunters on Twitter and the like will push it into common usage. Hopefully MM will become the next manager of the Catalan giants in order to truly stamp out it's popularity

Back
Top Bottom