Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ticket prices again

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Errr ever heard of Lilleshall? You know Englands football academy, based in leafy Shropshire!

?
Which was closed as a failure nearly 15 years ago, because it was deemed too "elitist" by drawing players from all over England?
That's how clubs like Wolves ended up with their own academies based on the same system.....to replace the national academy but expand it by 40 clubs who would be approved for academy status, thus giving more chance to develop players for England.
And that hasn't produced results either, in fact, it's worse. So we're going back to a national centre again...

A

andyc225

I despair at some of the things I've read here. I'm sure that some of the people here think that people like me who come from a middle class background shouldn't follow football. Let's have an honest breakdown here though - here are the locations of the Wolves Development Centres (as taken from wolves.co.uk):

- Aldersley
- Walsall
- Cannock
- Kings Heath

Now Kings Heath you could probably argue against, but surely Aldersley, Walsall and Cannock support this working class fanbase that people go on about?

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome more development centres. It could be argued that someone in Bilston could reasonably travel to Walsall, but it's a big enough area to support its own I'm sure. What about Dudley? Surely there are enough Wolves fans (certainly in the north of the town) to support a Wolves Development Centre there?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On talk about development an idea I've came up with

Wolves should look around the areas mentioned, look at the football sides the small clubs for kids and all, Give these clubs some sort of income to keep them running in return Wolves can pick up promsing youth from that side So basically we're acting as a 'parent' club to them. It will certainly encourage more kids to play knowing the club have links with local teams and all and maybe just maybe turn them back or just turn them to the good side

Just a thought proberly sounds a crock of $$$$ but oh well ! :D

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves should look around the areas mentioned, look at the football sides the small clubs for kids and all, Give these clubs some sort of income to keep them running in return Wolves can pick up promsing youth from that side So basically we're acting as a 'parent' club to them. It will certainly encourage more kids to play knowing the club have links with local teams and all and maybe just maybe turn them back or just turn them to the good side

It's not a bad idea and used to be commonplace...Stourbridge Falcons became Forest Falcons about 25 years ago and are still called that now, although I don't know if they still get money from Nottm Forest.
I think it partly came about from Darren Wassall who ended up going into Forest's youth system.
The ironic thing is that that age group team ended up with 4 other lads who went on to have long full time careers (including our own Vince Bartram), but only Wassall went to Forest.

Also...only a couple of years later they had Lee Sharpe and nobody took him seriously round here, despite his dad ringing up begging all the Midlands clubs to take him on, so players do slip through despite playing at the right schoolboy clubs.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Telford needs a club shop, no question about that.

My mates pay over the odds for a shirt from Seaton Sports down Wellington just because there isn't a club shop in Telford.

A lot of people come to Telford for the shopping as it's pretty decent compared to Salop and the Mander Centre.

R

reanswolf

I despair at some of the things I've read here. I'm sure that some of the people here think that people like me who come from a middle class background shouldn't follow football. Let's have an honest breakdown here though - here are the locations of the Wolves Development Centres (as taken from wolves.co.uk):

- Aldersley
- Walsall
- Cannock
- Kings Heath

Now Kings Heath you could probably argue against, but surely Aldersley, Walsall and Cannock support this working class fanbase that people go on about?

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome more development centres. It could be argued that someone in Bilston could reasonably travel to Walsall, but it's a big enough area to support its own I'm sure. What about Dudley? Surely there are enough Wolves fans (certainly in the north of the town) to support a Wolves Development Centre there?

You are mis-interpreting the whole issue if you think people are saying middle class people should not attend football.

As far as I know, the Walsall & Cannock Development centre is at Cheslyn hay, Aldersley (Tettenhall SW Wolverhampton), and Birmingham (certainly a bizarre one). Pinpoint them on a map and you realise just how the core Black Country from Bilston to Tipton to Darlo to Gornal to Coseley to Dudley are all totally missed out. These are good Wolves areas.

P

PeteWolf

I don't think anyone's saying middle class/leafier suburbs can't or don't produce talent full stop, just that if you were to look at where the majority of footballers come from it's the densely populated inner city areas, usually the poorer ones, and this is where we seem to be ignoring.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are mis-interpreting the whole issue if you think people are saying middle class people should not attend football.

As far as I know, the Walsall & Cannock Development centre is at Cheslyn hay, Aldersley (Tettenhall SW Wolverhampton), and Birmingham (certainly a bizarre one). Pinpoint them on a map and you realise just how the core Black Country from Bilston to Tipton to Darlo to Gornal to Coseley to Dudley are all totally missed out. These are good Wolves areas.

Walsall is a seperate centre,and on the brum one,even stoke have a centre there,if we didn't have one there we would only moan that we were being beaten to talent from that area.Agree with the rest of the post.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the argument is that more working class kids will go to football-playing schools, and the denser population in working class areas means there's more to choose from the same geographical area.

However...not as many kids play any kind of sport at school these days, and out of school activities tend to revolve around computers rather than running around outside.

Just thought it was relevant carrying this on today as there's a vote about the future of English grass roots football.....and it seems that Staffordshire might be voting against the proposals being put forward.
Anybody who's been involved in kids or Sunday football knows about committees and the weird power crazy people it can attract as secretaries and chairs and decisions that serve themselves and not the actual game they're administering.......... but this is worth a read :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ar...-Vote-today--say-NO-big-goals-long-balls.html

Also an interview with Craig Johnston going back nearly 6 years now which is brilliant.
Anybody too young to remember Johnston...he was an Aussie who played for Boro and Liverpool, then invented the Predator boot and also that irritating device which tells a hotel when you've swapped stuff in a mini-bar. Either way, his passion and concern for England comes through well.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aBiTnUqW8"]Ex Player losing it over English Football - YouTube[/nomedia]

S

Shergar

Telford needs a club shop, no question about that.

My mates pay over the odds for a shirt from Seaton Sports down Wellington just because there isn't a club shop in Telford.

A lot of people come to Telford for the shopping as it's pretty decent compared to Salop and the Mander Centre.

Unfortunately, you are so wrong. I went into Telford Town Centre for the first time in yonks yesterday... there are more closed/available units than I care to remember telling me it is losing it's appeal and the retail parks are attracting folk away or people don't have money and those there had Lpool or Utd tops on... looking ****ing stupid on a non-football day in this weather.
Telford Utd need sales outlets over here, we just need our kit available in all of the major sports chains - like normal football clubs.
I didn't know Seaton Sports in Wellington stocked Wolves kit? count yourself lucky, wolves have tried to make Turrda so exclusive it is almost impossible to buy unless you visit Wolverhampton or use the on-line tat shop.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you are so wrong. I went into Telford Town Centre for the first time in yonks yesterday... there are more closed/available units than I care to remember telling me it is losing it's appeal and the retail parks are attracting folk away or people don't have money and those there had Lpool or Utd tops on... looking ****ing stupid on a non-football day in this weather.
Telford Utd need sales outlets over here, we just need our kit available in all of the major sports chains - like normal football clubs.
I didn't know Seaton Sports in Wellington stocked Wolves kit? count yourself lucky, wolves have tried to make Turrda so exclusive it is almost impossible to buy unless you visit Wolverhampton or use the on-line tat shop.

Wolves did sell their merchandise in non club shops some years back but it was a short lived experiment, it has nothing to do with Burrda. The reasoning is purely financial. If replica strips are sold in places other than the club shop or online, Wolves lose some of the profit margin. The only people likely to buy replica Wolves shirts at the moment are Wolves fans so there really isn't much of a demand for replica kits other than from supporters.

If you are selling a product with limited appeal outside a core market the most profitable way of selling it is in house. The club have complete control over supply (which is why we often sell soon out after a new strip is launched because they never over order) and they don't have to get involved in complex and costly relationships with external suppliers.

P

Panthera

It's not irrelevant, it's completely and utterly connected.
Wolves supporters were living in the same economic climate, with poorer internal club financing, and were in a lower division than Albion....but increased support vastly...so the argument doesn't stack up on any level.

But support didn't "vastly increase" in reality did it? The fact is that many Wolves fans simply $$$$ed off and turned their backs on the club during the mid-80s. The demographics didn't change, Wolves fans attitude towards their club changed, thus attendances went back to where they should have been.

Also, Albion's gates, but for a short time under Brian Little, grew steadily between 1991 to 2002. Not too sure a generation was lost. Bored stiff, yes - lost, no.

Teenagers who have to take a step back and decide which club to support don't tend to choose Albion or Wolves anyway IMO.

R

reanswolf

But support didn't "vastly increase" in reality did it? The fact is that many Wolves fans simply $$$$ed off and turned their backs on the club during the mid-80s. The demographics didn't change, Wolves fans attitude towards their club changed, thus attendances went back to where they should have been.

Also, Albion's gates, but for a short time under Brian Little, grew steadily between 1991 to 2002. Not too sure a generation was lost. Bored stiff, yes - lost, no.

Teenagers who have to take a step back and decide which club to support don't tend to choose Albion or Wolves anyway IMO.

True. Our real rivals are manure and the big 4 in general, of course we cant compete with them.

Still think Wolves could do a lot more to entice support, they have reduced prices for this coming year which is good, but lost the chance to entice new fans in numbers in the premiership, due to the pricing.

S

Shergar

Wolves did sell their merchandise in non club shops some years back but it was a short lived experiment, it has nothing to do with Burrda. The reasoning is purely financial. If replica strips are sold in places other than the club shop or online, Wolves lose some of the profit margin. The only people likely to buy replica Wolves shirts at the moment are Wolves fans so there really isn't much of a demand for replica kits other than from supporters.

If you are selling a product with limited appeal outside a core market the most profitable way of selling it is in house. The club have complete control over supply (which is why we often sell soon out after a new strip is launched because they never over order) and they don't have to get involved in complex and costly relationships with external suppliers.

Yes, the kit was widely available when Puma were the suppliers.
Retaining exclusivity, retaining control over supply, margin etc.. is also true and very short sighted and you are right the product has limited appeal now we are back in the Championship - but is was an opportunity missed when we were in the PL to sell more around the world with shirts at reduced margin (pay off = more global brand awareness) than a 'few' at max profit squeeze from its most loyal customers... the fans with direct access to the club.
For the last 3 years travelling the world with my job people at last, instantly knew what my little Wolves head lapel badge signified, we could have made more of it, now we will disappear again. Opportunity missed IMO.

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, the kit was widely available when Puma were the suppliers.
Retaining exclusivity, retaining control over supply, margin etc.. is also true and very short sighted and you are right the product has limited appeal now we are back in the Championship - but is was an opportunity missed when we were in the PL to sell more around the world with shirts at reduced margin (pay off = more global brand awareness) than a 'few' at max profit squeeze from its most loyal customers... the fans with direct access to the club.
For the last 3 years travelling the world with my job people at last, instantly knew what my little Wolves head lapel badge signified, we could have made more of it, now we will disappear again. Opportunity missed IMO.

Any club outside the Champions League has very little global marketing potential - and many of those in the Champions League barely raise a murmer outside their own countries. Even in the Premier League Wolves were a minority brand and anyone with the will could have bought a shirt.

J

Jungleee

True. Our real rivals are manure and the big 4 in general, of course we cant compete with them.

Still think Wolves could do a lot more to entice support, they have reduced prices for this coming year which is good, but lost the chance to entice new fans in numbers in the premiership, due to the pricing.

All the midlands clubs could do a lot more to tap into the Asian and Black communities. Considering the ethnic make up of the area, it's quite surprising to see so few ethnic minorities at games. Get them into match going football fans and who knows...

R

reanswolf

The reality is, for whatever reason, local asian and especially black kids are glory hunters. They only want to support the top teams, as do many white kids of course. But proportionately, so few BME kids follow Wolves. Of course the reality is working class kids in Whitmore Reans are priced out of Wolves. May as well be the berlin wall seperating them from seeing a game.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
The reality is, for whatever reason, local asian and especially black kids are glory hunters. They only want to support the top teams, as do many white kids of course. But proportionately, so few BME kids follow Wolves. Of course the reality is working class kids in Whitmore Reans are priced out of Wolves. May as well be the berlin wall seperating them from seeing a game.

4 for £40?????? 2 free games for Young Wolves????

J

johndewolf5

Thats exactly what they have done with Football Futures who are based in Kingstanding, North Birmingham where lots of hungry talented players have emerged from. It's new territory for Wolves and a real challenge to Villa on whose doorstep this is on. I know the guy who runs this development centre and in the last year something like 8 boys have signed with the academy. Kevin Thelwell rates this guy very highly, to cap it all he is a Villa season ticket holder but thinks Wolves have a better set up,and the coup de grace he chose us over Man Utd.

D

Dewsburywolf

All the midlands clubs could do a lot more to tap into the Asian and Black communities. Considering the ethnic make up of the area, it's quite surprising to see so few ethnic minorities at games. Get them into match going football fans and who knows...

Punjabi Wolves :confused: :confused:

D

Dewsburywolf

Still pretty small group, often struggle to fill a coach...considering how many Punjabi people there are in Wolves and Blakenhall in particular...

I hear what you're saying but at least it's a start & there are scores of them within Punjabi Wolves Supporters Club. In football in general though I do agree that Asians in football is an untapped market. Plenty of Asians in Huddersfield but I'm not sure how many actually attend games. Often thought it strange that Asian kids play football in the street/parks but don't tend to attend games & don't get me started on Asians actually making the grade in the game

L

liquidatorwolf

Still pretty small group, often struggle to fill a coach...considering how many Punjabi people there are in Wolves and Blakenhall in particular...

What do you mean by Blakenhall in particular? Asians are in all areas and communities of Wolverhampton

Back
Top Bottom