Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ticket prices again

S

saigonwolves

From the graun, link at the bottom. Contrast how us and the Albion view the fans. Anyone want to raise this with Jez?

"...it is interesting to see the contrasting ways in which clubs are dealing with the recession. If the 9% rise at Manchester City raises eyebrows, even in light of the club winning the Premier League, then so does West Bromwich Albion's decision to make sweeping cuts, reducing all adult season tickets by £50 and knocking up to £70 off the cost of seats for youngsters.

It is a noble move, not least because Albion's 23,622 home allocation was 96% fully subscribed last season, meaning that the club were under little pressure to drop prices. The Albion chief executive, Mark Jenkins, says the club wanted to do more to help people in an area that has been particularly hard hit economically. He also explains that they are mindful of mistakes made in the past, when a generation of supporters was lost.

"I think our season-ticket prices for this season were already very competitive given our location and the size of the stadium, particularly when you look at our rivals, but we felt that we could still do more in the current climate," Jenkins says. "There's no doubt that youth unemployment is a very big issue at present. I'm a parent and I know full well that for teenagers and those in their early twenties even finding part-time employment is tough, never mind a full-time job. As a result we've really tried to focus on them and to focus on juniors too. In many ways that is the single biggest motivation behind our pricing strategy – to secure the next generation of fans.

"Having talked with the consultation group, to season-ticket holders and supporters, it's clear we lost a large number of a whole generation of fans between 1986 and 2002, primarily because we were out of the top division and struggling in that period but also because there were very harsh economic times in this area. If you look at the make-up of our crowd, there is definitely a weighting towards people from around 40 and older, and that reflects that period in time when we failed to attract as many new fans as we should have."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/22/premier-league-clubs-season-tickets

S

Sandwell Wolf

You think we'll reduce ticket prices while Moxey and Morgan are running the club?

Not a chance.

J

Jungleee

Think we should increase ticket prices to finally get rid of those in the Southbank.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Having talked with the consultation group, to season-ticket holders and supporters, it's clear we lost a large number of a whole generation of fans between 1986 and 2002, primarily because we were out of the top division and struggling in that period but also because there were very harsh economic times in this area. If you look at the make-up of our crowd, there is definitely a weighting towards people from around 40 and older, and that reflects that period in time when we failed to attract as many new fans as we should have."
[/url]

That consultation group of Albion's is talking a load of $$$$$$, they're completely (and probably purposely) getting it wrong because the real reason is staring them in the face but they can't admit it.
Examine the same demographics for Wolves supporters and you'll find the missing generation.......we took them.
That was the same period when Steve Bull played for Wolves and we took an enormous percentage of the teenage/young adult market from 87 onwards....basically stomped all over Albion.

In my town (Stourbridge), Albion attracted virtually no new fans (except for those who were already tied due to family reasons). They basically didn't exist as a club to be followed and you wouldn't have considered supporting them. Anybody who did, you'd think there was genuinely something wrong with their heads. All the action, all the social life, home and away was with Wolves.
There's still a huge imbalance now in that demographic of between 35-45 years old....far more Wolves fans than Albion.

To the proof.
Anybody who was looking for a club to follow chose Wolves, and our crowds rose dramatically from a very low level in 1986 to a very high level in 2002 to the point where we overtook them easily.
So why didn't the "very harsh economic times in this area" and being out of the top league affect Wolves in the same way, because our attendances rose from about 5,000 to 25,000 and brought with it a whole new generation of fans, plus we managed to find 50,000 to go to Wembley for a 4th Division match !

Last edited by a moderator:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And what I would add to that, is that Wolves have taken it for granted that it will always be the same, because for the last 10 years our policies towards attracting young supporters have been bloody awful, because Albion get as many as we do now....because they price lower.
Ignore the odd ticket offer, and the family games, and Jez telling us that black is white.....the proof is in the crowds and the amount of kids who attend on a regular basis, who will become full paying supporters when they get older.
If we're not taking more than Albion, we are not doing it right. It's that simple.

R

reanswolf

Excellent posts all round here. But WBA are one step ahead of us, i know its a business but fans are the lifeblood of the club. I bet young kids in stourbridge now are mainly WBA, admittedly partly as they have been better than us for years now in the main.

But how enlightening is that approach from Albion. That highlights why they give the feel of caring about about fan growth, whilst we feel like we are run by a bank manager who only cares about immediate financial return.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I bet young kids in stourbridge now are mainly WBA, admittedly partly as they have been better than us for years now in the main.

Actually no, because the majority of parents are still Wolves fans because of the reason above......however they do seem to have a lot more female fans who wear their tops out, and I guess they'll get a fair shot at any newcomers. Plus...they do tend to behave themselves more in the pubs :D

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also from Stourbridge area and would add that when I started in the late 70s Wolves attracted the 'bad boy's' due to the perception of our fans being more, shall we say boisterous. In fact Albion have and still do seem to pick up more support in the better off parts of Dudley borough with places like Lye and Pensnett more Wolves.
Although our pricing (especially match day) has an effect, I think a more serious long ten threat is the growth of support for a handful of out of town clubs. This was always there but now seems more prevalent. No doubt Man. City strips will now start appearing. It is important to get young kids interested in their local club early, so if you have young relatives I would urge you to make the effort and get them to a match it two at Wolves.

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, these days, Stourbridge has far and away more Albion fans of all ages than Wolves, we are vastly outnumbered and overrun with them.
A generation lost, and nothing being done to reclaim them or attract future generations.
It is now so bad in Stourbridge that they are replacing the Crown Centre, which admittedly was as $$$$e as our defence, with a Tesco Superstore to pander to all the stripey hordes.:mad:

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That consultation group of Albion's is talking a load of $$$$$$, they're completely (and probably purposely) getting it wrong because the real reason is staring them in the face but they can't admit it.
Examine the same demographics for Wolves supporters and you'll find the missing generation.......we took them.
That was the same period when Steve Bull played for Wolves and we took an enormous percentage of the teenage/young adult market from 87 onwards....basically stomped all over Albion.

In my town (Stourbridge), Albion attracted virtually no new fans (except for those who were already tied due to family reasons). They basically didn't exist as a club to be followed and you wouldn't have considered supporting them. Anybody who did, you'd think there was genuinely something wrong with their heads. All the action, all the social life, home and away was with Wolves.
There's still a huge imbalance now in that demographic of between 35-45 years old....far more Wolves fans than Albion.

To the proof.
Anybody who was looking for a club to follow chose Wolves, and our crowds rose dramatically from a very low level in 1986 to a very high level in 2002 to the point where we overtook them easily.
So why didn't the "very harsh economic times in this area" and being out of the top league affect Wolves in the same way, because our attendances rose from about 5,000 to 25,000 and brought with it a whole new generation of fans, plus we managed to find 50,000 to go to Wembley for a 4th Division match !

You start off by saying that the consultation group is talking a load of rubbish and then spend the rest of your post proving that they were right?! The said they lost a generation of fans due to a combination of tough economic times and being out the top division. Well they did...whether they went to wolves or not is irrelevant.

P

PeteWolf

I'd disagree over Stourbridge, still think we've got more, just, but the club have badly neglected the Dudley area as a whole.

Getting into the Premier League first was their Bully moment for this generation and we haven't done a lot to help counter that. Still no club shop in the regions busiest shopping centre for example.

C

crasm98

The problem they have is, if they reduce the match day ticket prices then the Season ticket holders will require a refund becuase they cant go below what were all paying per match, surely? and that is never going to happen.

C

crasm98

I'd disagree over Stourbridge, still think we've got more, just, but the club have badly neglected the Dudley area as a whole.

Getting into the Premier League first was their Bully moment for this generation and we haven't done a lot to help counter that. Still no club shop in the regions busiest shopping centre for example.

you have one in dudley street what more do you want :rolleyes:

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've raised the question before about wolves going to schools in the Dudley borough more only to be fobbed off with a ridiculous answer from loopy!
A great post was done a couple of months back when one of the mixers went to the hawthorns and did a comparison. And found out our connection to our roots (black country) is very poor. We seem to do everything wrong on a commercial level at wolves. It needs sorting!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's the quietest Tesco I've ever seen. There's never anyone in there!

P

PeteWolf

It's the quietest Tesco I've ever seen. There's never anyone in there!
In places like Merry Hill though (and I'd even argue for one in Birmingham if we were doing well in the Premier League), it's important just to be seen. That doesn't seem to register with the fat accountant.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You start off by saying that the consultation group is talking a load of rubbish and then spend the rest of your post proving that they were right?! The said they lost a generation of fans due to a combination of tough economic times and being out the top division. Well they did...whether they went to wolves or not is irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant, it's completely and utterly connected.
Wolves supporters were living in the same economic climate, with poorer internal club financing, and were in a lower division than Albion....but increased support vastly...so the argument doesn't stack up on any level.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think Wolves are bothered about that area at all. They're more interested in the people to the west of the City. Wolves are the closest team to most areas of Staffs and Shrops and there's more money there which is the type of fans they prefer.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've raised the question before about wolves going to schools in the Dudley borough more only to be fobbed off with a ridiculous answer from loopy!
!

Again, they target schools in staffs/shropshire - Same reason as my last post - More money, closest club.

E

Edgmond Wolf

Hats off to Albion, you can only admire their pricing strategy

However I would also be honest and say is our early bird season ticket price behind the goals really that bad??

A

andyc225

Locations for new club shops:

- Telford
- Merry Hell
- A small unit in the Swan Centre, Kidderminster

- Birmingham City Centre
- Stafford
- I'd perhaps argue for one in Hanley too when the Sterk City hoofball bandwagon eventually runs out of steam.

The first three are opportunities that have up to this point been completely missed and ideally we should be looking to remedy that right away.

The last three are important. These are areas that are served by our competitors but are all areas we should be looking to attract new fans to fill our 50,000 seater Molineux from. Let's face it - this isn't Tyneside with 1 club to serve over 800,000 people. We have competition in the marketplace from 4 other big players (plus casual gloryhunting supporters, and Walsall to a lesser extent).

P

PeteWolf

Locations for new club shops:

- Telford
- Merry Hell
- A small unit in the Swan Centre, Kidderminster

- Birmingham City Centre
- Stafford
- I'd perhaps argue for one in Hanley too when the Sterk City hoofball bandwagon eventually runs out of steam.

The first three are opportunities that have up to this point been completely missed and ideally we should be looking to remedy that right away.

The last three are important. These are areas that are served by our competitors but are all areas we should be looking to attract new fans to fill our 50,000 seater Molineux from. Let's face it - this isn't Tyneside with 1 club to serve over 800,000 people. We have competition in the marketplace from 4 other big players (plus casual gloryhunting supporters, and Walsall to a lesser extent).
Agree with all those, Stafford especially.

Ideally you would build sattelite ticket offices into them as well to encourage fans in those areas to buy tickets.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

I think the baggies are ahead of us on many fronts.

I agree Wolves did take the majority of my generation, who are now 30-45, but definately some of that group have now found other things to spend their money on.

Wolves perhaps underestimated that they would need to make continual efforts to engage with people.

The subsequent generations have had consistant PL or Championship status, but do not have the same innocent connection with players like we did with the Bully's.

A

andyc225

I think that the advertising department have been resting on their laurels for the last few seasons. I lived in Dudley when I was growing up, and I must say that the Boggies made more effort to engage with kids (even in the north of the town which is traditionally a Wolves area). Something as simple as Boggie Bird coming into assembly and handing out a few free tickets is enough to turn a few kids to the dark side.

L

long ball man

A great post was done a couple of months back when one of the mixers went to the hawthorns and did a comparison. And found out our connection to our roots (black country) is very poor. We seem to do everything wrong on a commercial level at wolves. It needs sorting!

that would be me.

http://robweaverregen.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/consorting-with-the-enemy/

As for this thread, where do we start?

Just 3 points to start:

1. How much is Mark Jenkins paid compared with our Jez?
2. Everything about Wolves over the last 10 years has detached us further from the Black Country. From the location of club shops to the location of soccer schools we have ceded the area to WBA.
3. Season Tickets - and as I speak as a STH between 1987 and 2005. Controversial maybe but I have no idea why anyone would want to buy one of these what with kick off times etc. Around 30% of our seating capacity will be available on a match by match basis. For many clubs 9maybe not us!) I think it will be cheaper to attend a significant number of matches on a pay as you go basis.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, they target schools in staffs/shropshire - Same reason as my last post - More money, closest club.

Yes and that is being fobbed off!! Dudley borough has a massive wolves following and is just getting tossed aside. So like I said AGAIN! Needs sorting out!

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly, these days, Stourbridge has far and away more Albion fans of all ages than Wolves, we are vastly outnumbered and overrun with them.
A generation lost, and nothing being done to reclaim them or attract future generations.
It is now so bad in Stourbridge that they are replacing the Crown Centre, which admittedly was as $$$$e as our defence, with a Tesco Superstore to pander to all the stripey hordes.:mad:

I wouldn't say it's vastly outnumbered. I've noticed a shift but not overwhelmingly. I'm from Stourbridge and I've done coaching in a lot of the local schools over the past few years, it's generally quite mixed.

R

reanswolf

that would be me.

http://robweaverregen.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/consorting-with-the-enemy/

As for this thread, where do we start?

Just 3 points to start:

1. How much is Mark Jenkins paid compared with our Jez?
2. Everything about Wolves over the last 10 years has detached us further from the Black Country. From the location of club shops to the location of soccer schools we have ceded the area to WBA.
3. Season Tickets - and as I speak as a STH between 1987 and 2005. Controversial maybe but I have no idea why anyone would want to buy one of these what with kick off times etc. Around 30% of our seating capacity will be available on a match by match basis. For many clubs 9maybe not us!) I think it will be cheaper to attend a significant number of matches on a pay as you go basis.

I find point 2 of this very very sad, but unsurprising - Dudley and walsall have a combined population of over 500,000. Its ok saying shropshire and staffordshire but the immediate population just is not there in the same numbers. Wolves for me were the dominant force in the BC, but now it's the other way round.

P

PeteWolf

The other reason looking towards South Staffs/Shropshire isn't perhaps the best idea, certainly on a coaching level, is where do the majority of footballers come from?

It's an interesting debate as to why, but it's not generally speaking the leafy countryside.

Wolves really need to be made aware of the strength of support in Dudley.

L

liquidatorwolf

This is a major issue that needs bringing up. Who is in charge or supposed to be in charge of these strategies? It seems like albion have a board who cares about the longevity of the club.

R

reanswolf

If you look at their soccer schools - its cheslyn hay, telford, tettenhall etc. I spose thats where the parents who can pay come from. Shame really as it should be made as cheap as chips to encourage fans from poorer areas too. I know it doesnt bring in immediate cash (sorry Jez) but its not really about that.

E

Edgmond Wolf

The other reason looking towards South Staffs/Shropshire isn't perhaps the best idea, certainly on a coaching level, is where do the majority of footballers come from?

It's an interesting debate as to why, but it's not generally speaking the leafy countryside.

Wolves really need to be made aware of the strength of support in Dudley.

Errr ever heard of Lilleshall? You know Englands football academy, based in leafy Shropshire!
You know the one that spawned teenage sensation Owen
Yeah I know no footballers in Shropshire, I mean Englands number one didn't come from Shropshire did he? Oh $$$$ he did.
Ok what about that Scottish marvel youknow the Wolves striker err please tell me Fletcher never lived in Shropshire.....

Oh dear shall we try Billy Wright... Oh $$$$ again

What did Shropshire ever do for us?

P

PeteWolf

Errr ever heard of Lilleshall? You know Englands football academy, based in leafy Shropshire!
You know the one that spawned teenage sensation Owen
Yeah I know no footballers in Shropshire, I mean Englands number one didn't come from Shropshire did he? Oh $$$$ he did.
Ok what about that Scottish marvel youknow the Wolves striker err please tell me Fletcher never lived in Shropshire.....

Oh dear shall we try Billy Wright... Oh $$$$ again

What did Shropshire ever do for us?

Michael Owen... Chester, son of a professional footballer. Fletcher, grew up on Army bases/Hamilton in Scotland. Joe Hart a rare example in the modern day.

You're not seriously trying to argue more footballers come from privileged leafy backgrounds as opposed inner city areas?

Lilleshall just happens to be based in Shropshire, is Burton the new centre and heartlands of English football...

A

andyc225

Duracell Dave came from Shropshire. Make of that what you will.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stephen Fletcher was born in Shrewsbury wasn't he, as was Joe Hart?

Are people really trying to suggest that because the West Midlands is more working class, there will be more talented footballers?

S

saigonwolves

The whole point of the original post wasn't to cause an argument, merely to raise my concerns over the club's approach to the local community. There's every chance I'm wrong, but from the outside it does look like the club are making very little effort to engage with their core support - the kids from the estates that stretch across the west mids. The traditional lifeblood of the club seems to be overlooked in favour of chasing the middle aged, middle class cash. Surely there's a place for both, especially with a 30+ thousand seater stadium to fill and an atmosphere to create.

Albion appear to be doing so, they're our local rivals and they seem to be getting (yet another) one over on us. It's why id like this raised at the next fans parliament meeting, but don't know how to get it done.

R

reanswolf

So true - i think it is important to raise this concern to the club - the ground level support seems to be ignored at the expense of leafy suburban support,in the interest of the immediate cash cow. Not that these soccer schools bring in much money anyway.

The bottom line is this - if we want to fill at 31000 or 36000 seater we need to start re-engaging with our core traditional fan base communities, irrespective of short term financial gain.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are people really trying to suggest that because the West Midlands is more working class, there will be more talented footballers?

I think the argument is that more working class kids will go to football-playing schools, and the denser population in working class areas means there's more to choose from the same geographical area.

However...not as many kids play any kind of sport at school these days, and out of school activities tend to revolve around computers rather than running around outside.

Back
Top Bottom