Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts turn to next season

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst this thread is interesting I will probably get shot down in flames but I don’t like the look of the table . Losing to West Ham and Fulham is in my opinion highly likely when you struggle to score like we do . We would then go into a home game against Sheffield United who we will be expected to beat easily which is usually a recipe for disaster . The next 3 are Burnley Tescos and Brighton !! The last 3 are Spurs Everton and Man U . If we don’t get 2 wins we deserve to go down but too many are blasé about the position we are in . I sincerely hope I am way off the mark but I am far from comfortable and looking towards next season is premature .
It's not what we do it's what the 7 teams below us do and 5 of them are not going to get above us. We're safe.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't think we necessarily need to move to a back four. It was ironic how on MOTD they were talking about how Leicester looked such an attacking threat when they switched to three at the back.

We can be successful with three at the back we just need more quality. Two additions would be a huge step in the right direction.

A top CB alongside Coady and Boly to enable our midfield to play 20 yards further up the pitch and to free Semedo and Jonny to get into the box more often. Then a quality CM who can attack the box to support Raul.

This also requires Nuno to take the handbrake off and be more aggressive going forward and trust the three at the back to snuff out any breaks.

Oh, and take responsibility and attack balls in to our box as this zonal defending isn't working.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not what we do it's what the 7 teams below us do and 5 of them are not going to get above us. We're safe.
Its absolutely what we do, we still need 3-6 points to be sure,cant rely on others keep losing
Although i agree its unlikely all will overtake us,its far from impossible
We have to play almost everyone below us, lose those and the picture is very different,mind if we lose all those we deserve to go down

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva as back up to Jiminez? That is crazy and it would show the club has learnt nothing this season. Silva is way, way off being ready. I would loan him out..3rd choice at best. Jose is disappointing so we need to find someone else - a vitally important signing if we are going to have any chance of progress.
I think Silva will have more to offer next season. He’ll be 12 months further down the line in his development and will be fully settled in to the team and country. I think he’ll be a good option off the bench and will gain more from being around our squad than he will on loan.

And to be clear my view is that he wouldn’t necessarily be the direct back up to Jimenez. I’d view it as Silva as an option off the bench, with the versatile forward I mentioned being able to start upfront if Jimenez was to miss a game. When Jimenez is available, that versatile forward can the be an option out wide or possibly as a 2nd forward off the striker.

I’ve no idea who that versatile forward would be but there are players around who fit that. In the PL alone you’ve got players like Antonio, Son, Jota, Rashford to name a few that could all do that role of being an option centrally and out wide.

It obviously wouldn’t be any of them but that’s the sort of forward I’d be looking for.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you know this? Is he and friend of yours and told you? How do you not know Nuno is lining him up for a coaching position at Wolves in the future?

How do you know this? Is he and friend of yours and told you? How do you not know Nuno is lining him up for a coaching position at Wolves in the future?
Moutinho is an ultimate professional... He isn't ready to hang his boots up yet.... He is focused on getting as many caps as possible... He isn't gonna sit on the bench.. Thats why he left monaco... He would do the same to wolves.... Moutinho standing in portugese football is on a level above nuno.... He wouldnt need to lean on nuno... If he wants a coaching role he will have enough contacts in his locker to do it on his own........ Only Ronaldo has more caps.. Let that sink in....

Last edited:

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re short of a Jota like player up front to support/complement Raul.

A top class left sided centre half is a must.

If I’m being greedy then an extra option in the middle of the park too.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People talking about OO being missing yesterday but where was RAN last night ? Only 8 subs and he was nowhere to be seen ! Strange.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is an ultimate professional... He isn't ready to hang his boots up yet.... He is focused on getting as many caps as possible... He isn't gonna sit on the bench.. Thats why he left monaco... He would do the same to wolves.... Moutinho standing in portugese football is on a level above nuno.... He wouldnt need to lean on nuno... If he wants a coaching role he will have enough contacts in his locker to do it on his own........ Only Ronaldo has more caps.. Let that sink in....
I ask again. How can you be quite so certain? You know nothing about Moutinho and his views on his future. He could become a player/coach under Nuno at Wolves if he desires to follow a career into management. Who knows? you certainly know as much and as little as me.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sell Neto to reinvest and we end up with another season like this or worse in my opinion.
Indeed , if we are ever going to move to the “ next level” we need to keep our best players and strengthen the first team around them.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed , if we are ever going to move to the “ next level” we need to keep our best players and strengthen the first team around them.
Our position in the table doesn't help our effort to keep our better players. I can see offers coming in for Neto and Traore will be off anyway.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We’ve got Boly, Kilman and Saiss as LCBs we never replaced Bennett’s at RCB which has been more of an issue.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The season needs to get in the bin. Yet again we’re talking about an important summer of transfers. Neves will be getting itchy feet now. Are we going to negotiate a lot of our transfer budget on 2 players the don’t play and a center forward who doesn’t score goals or do wolves go for other options?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I ask again. How can you be quite so certain? You know nothing about Moutinho and his views on his future. He could become a player/coach under Nuno at Wolves if he desires to follow a career into management. Who knows? you certainly know as much and as little as me.
I will ask me brother to ask him for ya... He works for wolves. .. OK..... U don't nw me pal....

Billben

Reaction score
We’ve got Boly, Kilman and Saiss as LCBs we never replaced Bennett’s at RCB which has been more of an issue.
I agree totally, also we have Bolly who’s best position is left centre back. Cannot understand why we have not brought in a quality right sided centre back who has pace. What is Nuno upto is it totally within his control to build the team or his he having to ’play to another tune’.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fyi the poster about jaos reaction. he gave it all against liverpool thought he was class on the press, love seeing his passion.

Think he has one more year in him but as rotation.

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
We also need excellent management and coaching, the team needs to perform better than the sum of its parts. At the moment that's not happening in the final third or when we can potentially break. Off the ball movement and supporting runs very poor possibly worst in the division.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Top class right sided centre back is a bigger priority than left sided, in my opinion. Boly is best on the left as proven against Liverpool.
We have hardly any good options for the right hand side of central defence. Coady apart most of our centre backs are best on the left hand side.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top class right sided centre back is a bigger priority than left sided, in my opinion. Boly is best on the left as proven against Liverpool.
We have hardly any good options for the right hand side of central defence. Coady apart most of our centre backs are best on the left hand side.

I think most agree a new CB is needed, im not saying sell to buy, but we could see outgoings on the fringes to revamp the squad, like we saw with Jota/Doc, who knows dendoncker/saiss/ruddy all could go.

There needs to be a freshness added to the team, after covid, struggles with a small squad and the lack of movement in CM/CB over 3 seasons.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That may be true. But we are now in a position to give some of our 'fringe' players a run. We know Saiss's capabilities and for me Kilman is more the future than Saiss tbh.
Personally I think if the right offer came in for Kilman id let him go. He's a good pro but I dont see enough in him for a team that wants to be a top 6 team. The three in the under 23's in Richards, Marques and Lonwijk have more about them in the long term. Lonwijk in particular I think will be around the first team fringes next season.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens we better strengthen better this year. Looking at who may come up I don’t think we will end up with 2 teams cut adrift next season.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think Nuno needs to decide how he wants us to play next season, look at what players do or don't fit that system, move on those who don't and bring in ones who will
When Nuno first came in, he picked the system and then looked for players that would fit (or could be coached to fit) the system and culture he wanted. This season he tried to change the system but largely using the same types of players who had been procured against the previous criteria. This has not worked.
Either Nuno will stick with the tried and trusted and we will look for a small number of new recruits to freshen up the current system or he will have learnt the lesson and will look to change slightly more key members of the squad for new recruits who can fit whatever new style he wants to implement.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Nuno first came in, he picked the system and then looked for players that would fit (or could be coached to fit) the system and culture he wanted. This season he tried to change the system but largely using the same types of players who had been procured against the previous criteria. This has not worked.
Either Nuno will stick with the tried and trusted and we will look for a small number of new recruits to freshen up the current system or he will have learnt the lesson and will look to change slightly more key members of the squad for new recruits who can fit whatever new style he wants to implement.

I think this is the view point,

lets get across the line in the next 6 i mean we have a really good run in against supposing weaker sides. We need a rethink and recheck, its been a grounding season for fans and i expect the club alike, with injuries, lack of goals, and slipping away from the high levels we were seeing.

There needs to be a big change for next year, to ensure there is not stagnation or falling into the lower half further.

It may be that there are tweaks in summer CB/CM.

With the wholesale next year with full replacement of some of the aeging players, emergence of youth

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To me it is obvious we need to change formation to four at the back from next season and maybe use it again this season when we have a few more points on the board.

From my point of view 3 centre backs is now limiting us in an attacking sense and we need more attacking options through the middle.

New centre back, at least one is a must. New central midfield player with a good all round game and engine is a must. No10 style attacking midfield player is a must. New striker is a must if we dont sign Jose.

Four new top notch signings needed and change to a more positive formation needed or we will be in the same situation next season or worse in my opinion.

Big and brave decisions needed in the summer which may include a few first teamers being sold. I would also keep both RAN and Vitinha.
I don’t think our formation limited our attacking options against Liverpool. We just didn’t have a front three to take advantage. If we had had Raul and Jota playing with Neto in our front 3 I think we would have looked strong going forward. Or if Liverpool and Wolves had swapped front 3s we would have been far more attacking.
Previously this season, I would have argued that our central midfield just wasn’t forward thinking enough. On Monday they were, but that was the first time this season. And the reason our midfield isn’t normally forward thinking enough is that they have to perform too many defensive duties as we didn’t replace Bennett on the RHS and have therefore had to use CBs or midfielders who were not in their natural position, plus injuries to Jonny and Boly.
Simply put, it’s not the formation that we are playing that is limiting our attacking, it’s the personnel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8913

let's start with selling to buy, if we have to do this then we are going to be in trouble before the season even starts, we suddenly turn into Southampton from several years ago. selling to buy shows a lack of ambition in my opinion.

‘this is true.

however it may not be solely a lack of ambition but a result of the lack of deep pockets. Many teams have ambition but cannot possibly match teams with three times the revenue.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
let's start with selling to buy, if we have to do this then we are going to be in trouble before the season even starts, we suddenly turn into Southampton from several years ago. selling to buy shows a lack of ambition in my opinion.
I agree, but I have a horrible feeling that's how it is.

If we can get £30m for Traore, and something decent for Mir, Cutrone, Sanderson, Shabani, Gibbs-White... say another £30m then we might be able to afford a couple of good players.

If we can add one or two free or loan players like Otavio, then we are in business.

Not sure about the 3 loanees. Haven't done enough.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder of we will look at carlos vincious again... It looks like spurs ain't gonna take up the option on him... Obviously I don't think we will pay the 35m that spurs were offered.... But at a reduced price maybe... He has got an eye for a goal....

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The management need to stipulate to nuno that we need a bigger squad with more quality and that sometimes players like dendocker will drop to the bench.

We need 2 x centre halves with pace and we need to sell kilmann and coady. We are being brutal and we are playing four at the back so we can play more offensively.

In midfield we buy a goalscoring midfielder that has the acceleration that gibbs white doesn't possess. we need goals. Moutinho can be a sub.

Traore either signs a long term contract or moves on. Podence has to prove his fitness. Neto hopefully stays with us.

We loan out fabio and bring in a versatile forward player with pace. We cannot solely rely on raul.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just a pipedream, it's also an insane level of squad overhaul to have in a single summer.
Shabani, Mir, Sondergaard all promoted to full time first team squad members!!!!! What happens if that gamble doesn't pay off?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a funny one the system change... Do we just need better players or is it the system.... 3 at the back by and large has served us very well against the top sides since we came into the premiership... Yes we have been a bit short of goals but we have kept it tight so we didn't need to score many..... But we have struggled against some of the so called weaker teams... The Brightons, Burnley n Newcastle.... 4 at the back might makes us better against those teams but would it makes us weaker against the top sides... Will it guarantee us more points than last season for instance... I'm not sure...... Is it we just need better defenders, midfielders and attackers in what ever system we play......

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We miss a nasty player in the middle like Liverpool had with Thiago..... Saiss could play there but he’s a defender these days!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd really like to see Silva off Jimenez a little next season. I'm really beginning to see why Silva is so highly rated (despite having a 50p head) and Jimenez is perhaps the only forward player we have on his wavelength.

For all their talent, Traore and Neto plough the lone path too often to truly link up with him

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If someone offered crazy money for Neto, I'd sell and reinvest. Likewise for Traore, although I suspect the money would be decidedly less crazy.

Be more tempted to keep Neves for another season as he's become more integral this year.
What do you regard as crazy money? £100m+?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you regard as crazy money? £100m+?
60 million + would be a big big fee.

I know we like to say 100 million plus - and he is a very good prospect - but £60 million for a £15 million signing after 2 years is amazing from a business perspective

Back
Top Bottom