Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the Prem calls the league off and determines final positions by PPG and EL is played to a conclusion.and we got to the final we could end up playing in the third qualifying round for 2020/21 before we play in the final for 2019/20.

Great eh

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there's legs on this. Government speaking to CMOs of various sports with intention of resumption providing cases/deaths continue dropping. We will have sufficient testing capacity. Bring it on
Dropping? - 700+ hospital deaths just announced!

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the problems is these figures are meaningless when taken over a few days. The deaths announced today stretch back to March 11th! But many who died today or yesterday aren't in the figures.
It will be the long term trend that's important. Hospital admissions will also lead deaths by a significant amount so that is the more important number both for the trend now and because there is presumably little lag in recording.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The away season ticket holders would be doing everyone a favour, bravely risking their own health to cheer on the team and make it a more enjoyable experience for all instead of an empty stadium.

You should be applauding their sacrifice.
Indeed, so much so that they should get an immediate mandatory one-way ticket to Wuhan... lol

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the Prem calls the league off and determines final positions by PPG and EL is played to a conclusion.and we got to the final we could end up playing in the third qualifying round for 2020/21 before we play in the final for 2019/20.

Great eh

.... and when we win the 19/20 final try to deny us a CL slot as we have already played in the 20/21 EL...

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the problems is these figures are meaningless when taken over a few days. The deaths announced today stretch back to March 11th! But many who died today or yesterday aren't in the figures.
It will be the long term trend that's important. Hospital admissions will also lead deaths by a significant amount so that is the more important number both for the trend now and because there is presumably little lag in recording.
I agree that the daily figures may be somewhat questionable but whist they are relatively stable at around 700-800 deaths per day there is no way we can say with any confidence they are dropping. By dropping I think the Gov't will want to see them down to around 250-300 with a continual decrease every day. I've said before on here that with these current figures I would not want to be the Gov't minister who gives the go ahead to easing lock down. I accept that pressure will come from both the Treasury to boost the economy and from the public suffering lock down fatigue.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lockdown isn't going to be eased anytime soon not with the figures we're seeing

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Assuming the season can't be finished and a decision is made to complete the league table based on 'sporting merit ' relegating the bottom 3 clubs, what can the 3 actually do about it?

My understanding is that the PL is a club with each member getting one vote. If a 75% threshold is reached to relegate them, what can they do?

Had a quick scan of the the villa forums and they are desperate for the season to be voided. Failing that they want the PL expanded to 22 clubs with the top 2 from the championship promoted. Basically, they back anything that saves their skin.

They are quick to argue that they would sue if things don't go their way, but on what grounds? The PL is a club. If a vote doesn't go their way, then tough. Surely?
Any outcome that results in villa getting relegated is a good one. We thought they were our friends when they lent us players like mark blake and paul birch but as soon as we had success and usurped them, their true character came out.
I would love to see them in the championship for 20 years, and then have a conversation about attendance figures and who is the bigger club.

Last edited:

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dutch football bod says Prem chances of finishing are slim -that's after the Dutch clubs couldnt agree so he and his board took the decision .

Says we will run out of time -sounds a bit pedantic as we have until the Euros 2020 if we want to.

Their pm ,like Sturgeon ,said football with fans was impossible -but then it will be next season too.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just said on Talk Sport PL could be back in weeks. God I hope this can be facilitated, pessimist as I am about it, it would be huge boost to everyone's morale. I don't care if its BCD, just to see the boys together again playing....lets begin to dream
The mood music seems to be for football to re-start sometime in the next few weeks. Can we discuss how you think BCD games will work? Will testing be carried out at the ground for staff arriving to get the ground ready? Will workers actually be tested? Will both teams and staff be tested (at all?) as they arrive? What happens if anyone is found to be positive? The game itself - can players celebrate when they score? Will spitting be allowed? Just some basic questions; I'm sure they're are many more. As for us fans - can we gather at home to watch?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dutch football bod says Prem chances of finishing are slim -that's after the Dutch clubs couldnt agree so he and his board took the decision .

Says we will run out of time -sounds a bit pedantic as we have until the Euros 2020 if we want to.

Their pm ,like Sturgeon ,said football with fans was impossible -but then it will be next season too.
That bloke is talking total *******s! Time is the one thing we have. We have no realistic start date scheduled for next season so why any rush to cancel this season? I do think if things start to relax over the summer the big, big question for the authorities is whether to start a new season whenever with no crowds, as social distancing is with us for perhaps another 12 months? For me, no way.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That bloke is talking total *******s! Time is the one thing we have. We have no realistic start date scheduled for next season so why any rush to cancel this season? I do think if things start to relax over the summer the big, big question for the authorities is whether to start a new season whenever with no crowds, as social distancing is with us for perhaps another 12 months? For me, no way.
The old saying goes that football is nothing without the fans.

I only agree to a certain extent. It's still something and it's beyond doubt a something that will raise morale throughout the country and beyond.

We should get football back on track as soon as possible.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look, we're over a year away from a vaccine even *maybe* being available, and thats if everything is successful. I don't understand the rush to finish this season when we're going to encounter the same problem with the upcoming 2020-21 season. I say you scrap 2020-21 and use that season's window to complete the current unfinished competitions, then pick up from 2021-22. If things go well with a cure and we have time left over in the next season's window, have a one-off cup or whatever.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look, we're over a year away from a vaccine even *maybe* being available, and thats if everything is successful. I don't understand the rush to finish this season when we're going to encounter the same problem with the upcoming 2020-21 season. I say you scrap 2020-21 and use that season's window to complete the current unfinished competitions, then pick up from 2021-22. If things go well with a cure and we have time left over in the next season's window, have a one-off cup or whatever.

It's just Eufa trying to protect their competitions and they of course are not accountable to any government whereas every league has to do what their governments tell them.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The mood music seems to be for football to re-start sometime in the next few weeks. Can we discuss how you think BCD games will work? Will testing be carried out at the ground for staff arriving to get the ground ready? Will workers actually be tested? Will both teams and staff be tested (at all?) as they arrive? What happens if anyone is found to be positive? The game itself - can players celebrate when they score? Will spitting be allowed? Just some basic questions; I'm sure they're are many more. As for us fans - can we gather at home to watch?

Oh dear, senility is setting in. For several posts I've been reading BCD as Black Country Derby and wondering why they didn't make much sense. Just now the penny finally dropped.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh dear, senility is setting in. For several posts I've been reading BCD as Black Country Derby and was wondering why they didn't make much sense. Just now the penny finally dropped.
I must admit, albeit that the penny dropped earlier, you aren't the only one....

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this season should be written off. Out of respect.

At least we won the ePL FIFA 20. If only it came with a Champions League spot.

I have lost a mate to it -a Palace season ticket holder and I can assure you the last thing he would want is to write the season off .

W

WOMWOL

They have dropped. Hospital admissions dropped. Occupied ICU beds dropped. By June these figures will be shaved further.

We're in a lock down-they bloody well should be dropping.

Ask the Germans!

I think the money argument will stop this. Not sure there are many PL clubs that could afford to scrap a season if things don't work out.

I see countries easing their restrictions. There's no reason why we won't. It maybe many months before we can attend games but that doesn't mean they won't be played.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might be good for those on the waiting list.cuz if the season is written off I won't be having another.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have dropped. Hospital admissions dropped. Occupied ICU beds dropped. By June these figures will be shaved further.

We're in a lock down-they bloody well should be dropping.

Ask the Germans!

I think the money argument will stop this. Not sure there are many PL clubs that could afford to scrap a season if things don't work out.

I see countries easing their restrictions. There's no reason why we won't. It maybe many months before we can attend games but that doesn't mean they won't be played.

Just my opinion, but I cannot see the point of sport without spectators, be it at Molineux, Lords or Silverstone. Playing behind closed doors makes it all seem meaningless.

D

Deleted member 5962

After denying Ajax the title, the Eredivisie is now asking them to financially support the other clubs in the league...

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football will resume in June in the U.K. if it’s the provisional date of June 8th we don’t know, but it will.

South Korea - May 8th
Germany - May 9th
Poland - End of May
Seria A - Completion August 2nd
Ligue 1 - Want to finish due to it losing €400m if it doesn’t

La Liga - Requested it’s finished
Scotland - Asked UEFA for clarifications
Netherlands - Finished
Belgium - Finished
Serbia - Likely to cancel

people also assuming deaths are still high, the deaths reported now are from circa 7-14 days ago.

These are coming down in line with hospital admissions.

However it’s all dependent on people adhering to the lockdown.

There is also hope that the antibody testing kit will be with us very soon which will be a game changer for us all.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I cannot see the point of sport without spectators, be it at Molineux, Lords or Silverstone. Playing behind closed doors makes it all seem meaningless.

Sport isn’t just about supporters though in the grand scheme of things. They are businesses. They need to maintain some level of revenue and the way they achieve that is through prize money, sponsorship and TV deals. If fans are the sacrifice for the security of dozens off clubs then so be it.

Goodbye Horse

Reaction score
Spare thought for the players,how do you think they will fancy playing in this situation?
Apart from teams with something to play for,the expression "on the beach" will prevalent throughout,this will make the games a bit of a farce.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sport isn’t just about supporters though in the grand scheme of things. They are businesses. They need to maintain some level of revenue and the way they achieve that is through prize money, sponsorship and TV deals. If fans are the sacrifice for the security of dozens off clubs then so be it.

You make a very valid point, and I agree that keeping clubs afloat is of paramount importance. But without fans there is no atmosphere, and very little excitement. If this season has to finish behind closed doors, then that is fair enough. But to start a new season without fans would be wrong. Without fans there would be a lot of revenue lost to local businesses.

Again it is just my opinion, but I don't think a new season should be started behind closed doors.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spare thought for the players,how do you think they will fancy playing in this situation?
Apart from teams with something to play for,the expression "on the beach" will prevalent throughout,this will make the games a bit of a farce.
People on minimum wage working in supermarkets haven't had a choice since the start of the outbreak.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i expect most players won’t be happy to start again any time soon, in particular Jimenez given that they are expecting a child in July.
Nuno was quite outspoken about what's the point playing football without fans when it’s meant to be entertainment.
some countries have closed their borders too so how will players who have gone home get back?
i miss football but it should only come back when it’s absolutely safe to do so, not putting additional burden on the NHS and emergency services.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
The away season ticket holders would be doing everyone a favour, bravely risking their own health to cheer on the team and make it a more enjoyable experience for all instead of an empty stadium.

You should be applauding their sacrifice.
So much so all the other supporters should do a one minute clap for the awaysters.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don’t see the great clammer of finishing season behind closed doors

It will mean zero! Football is zero without fans

Do I really care if we beat arsenal say at home in dead enviroment?

Football should be voided or saved for when fans are able to return

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The other option is to wait for a vaccine which could take 12-18 months in which time the majority of teams will have gone out of business.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I care because we could be in the Champions leagu next season. Everybody will want t watch that or will you be one of the ones that don't.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other option is to wait for a vaccine which could take 12-18 months in which time the majority of teams will have gone out of business.
They will go out of business anyway. Behind closed doors or not

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make a very valid point, and I agree that keeping clubs afloat is of paramount importance. But without fans there is no atmosphere, and very little excitement. If this season has to finish behind closed doors, then that is fair enough. But to start a new season without fans would be wrong. Without fans there would be a lot of revenue lost to local businesses.

Again it is just my opinion, but I don't think a new season should be started behind closed doors.
Really glad you said this. I've said several times on here, will the authorities sanction a new season with games behind closed doors with social distancing in place for perhaps another 12 months? I accept that the current season will now likely finish Jul/Aug/Sep BCD which is good all things being considered. The new season is a whole different set of issues and to start with no fans will be a big, big turn off imo.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've found this the best football season for at least 40 years. I wonder why? :) They shouldn't end it, they should cancel next season instead and so long as we are as good as we are, keep this season going forever.

Back
Top Bottom