Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With regards to player contracts, would it not be sensible for governing bodies world wide to extend every players contract by 6 months during these unprecedented times. After all what a lot of them have taken from the game, giving back a little to help things get back to normal in some orderly fashion would help everyone. And as for FIFA, best they dig deep to help out also.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
With regards to player contracts, would it not be sensible for governing bodies world wide to extend every players contract by 6 months during these unprecedented times. After all what a lot of them have taken from the game, giving back a little to help things get back to normal in some orderly fashion would help everyone. And as for FIFA, best they dig deep to help out also.
It’s a sensible idea, but just not workable legally in the real world, unfortunately. It’s going to be interesting how all this pans out.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can understand everyone’s frustrations and feelings that football isn’t football without the fans. Nobody would disagree with that.

However, can you imagine the mental state of players if they don’t play football for 12-18 months?

Not only that, but all players values would drop so much that the club would literally have its value wiped out.

The quality of football would dip so drastically that It would take year and years to get back to any kind of similarity to how we left it.

Football HAS to come back. With or without fans. Financially it’s imperative and for football fans it’s also imperative. As long as it’s done safely and in accordance with government instructions there is no reason to keep players and staff away from the game.

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can’t belive all the people saying football isn’t football without fans. Yes not the same but what I would give to be able to watch a Wolves game or any other game on the TV right now. The first televised match would probably have bigger UK viewing figures than any cup final.
100% agree, I even got excited watching Diogo playing FIFA yesterday

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I can’t belive all the people saying football isn’t football without fans. Yes not the same but what I would give to be able to watch a Wolves game or any other game on the TV right now. The first televised match would probably have bigger UK viewing figures than any cup final.
It’s not the same though is it? The game in Greece was awful.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
No but it’s better than nothing at all and I’d guess we’ll just have to get used to it for a while.
It is better than nothing but it’s not the same. We can’t pretend it’s normal.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will go out of business anyway. Behind closed doors or not
It would be a trajedy if football stadiums were demolished and replaced with houses. The premier league needs to make bigger solidarity payments to the football league.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Unfortunately nothing is normal at the moment but having football back even if it’s behind closed doors is something good.
I think behind closed doors should be a last resort, I don’t like the idea that it could become a common thing. Not saying it would but just something in the back of my head makes me think

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think behind closed doors should be a last resort, I don’t like the idea that it could become a common thing. Not saying it would but just something in the back of my head makes me think
I can't believe they'd contemplate starting a new season without fans as it's entirely possible the whole season could end up BCD?

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I can't believe they'd contemplate starting a new season without fans as it's entirely possible the whole season could end up BCD?
If that does happen, they’d be possibly about 30 or more professional teams going bust over the coming months. Some very difficult decisions to be made by the powers that be.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
That’s what I mean, try and finish this season behind closed doors if needed as a last resort but if they start the season with still no fans then they might just decide they don’t need fans at all.

D

Deleted member 4099

I very much doubt I will watch any games that are on but behind closed doors. I will listen on the radio see if it’s any better than watching the Olympiakos game. Which was without doubt one of most painful things I’ve ever watched.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Players with contracts will still get paid next season no matter what so if it’s behind closed doors it will happen as the Prem teams will need the TV revenue to pay them. Imagine the clubs paying the wages generally around 80% of their income with no money coming in. Get used to football behind closed doors.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I care because we could be in the Champions leagu next season. Everybody will want t watch that or will you be one of the ones that don't.

So you want us to get champions league so that we can watch it behind closed doors?

It’s a no from me, I want to make memories not watch tv

TezzaWolf

Reaction score
I would rather be at the game and see games with fans and atmosphere on TV obviously. But these 5 weeks with no sport have been tedious. Seeing football, cricket, F1 on a weekend again would give the rest of us something to look forward to as most of us will be at home for a few months yet.

I see people reference the game in Greece but that was at a strange time. Europe was just beginning to be gripped by this virus. Loads of posts on here spoke about the Brighton game feeling like the last one for a while. The club didn't want to travel.

If we started again even BCD then it would feel like a small victory over this horrid killing machine.

I had my heart pumping over one of our lads winning on a computer game yesterday I'm sure I could get myself involved in a real game even without fans.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Really glad you said this. I've said several times on here, will the authorities sanction a new season with games behind closed doors with social distancing in place for perhaps another 12 months? I accept that the current season will now likely finish Jul/Aug/Sep BCD which is good all things being considered. The new season is a whole different set of issues and to start with no fans will be a big, big turn off imo.

You’ve got to be realistic.

If this season does indeed continue and finish BCD it will be an indicator of whether next season can possibly start in similar fashion…..even if it is put back a few months.

Nobody wants football without fans in attendance but if its wider future is more more certain on having to be operational no matter, then that’s how it will be. To just stop football for 9+ months could well be much more damaging in the long term and with the bigger picture.

The way to look at it is to understand that the situation, however harsh it is or becomes, is still a TEMPORARY one until it is over.

Normality will return in time even if that time is a long way away.

That’s what I mean, try and finish this season behind closed doors if needed as a last resort but if they start the season with still no fans then they might just decide they don’t need fans at all.

It won’t happen...it’s just a silly fear. :)

Clubs and players want and need to feel ‘live’ fans.

Support and related revenue is crucial, no way would clubs thrive fully without it. Which fool of a fan is going to buy a shirt and club merchandise to only sit/stand watching the telly or listening to the radio??

Not many are going to continue to subscribe to the broadcasting channels for long either when the true joy with the total match-day experience is all gone.

There’s every chance it will be the reverse and football will end up re-evaluating the value of fans for the better. :)

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently AC Milan have requested all their players come back to training next week with all Serie A clubs to start 4th May with games to start end of May.

Individual training for 2 weeks then group training from 18th May.

Matches to resume 27th May to 2nd June

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The resumption of top flight football, even behind closed doors would be fantastic imo. Our club didn’t want to travel to play Olympiakos and we were all understandably distracted by the prospect of an imminent lockdown and what it may or may not entail. Football behind closed doors is far from perfect but it’s return (temporarily) in this format would be a welcome distraction and boost from the current situation.

D

Deleted member 4099

Apparently AC Milan have requested all their players come back to training next week with all Serie A clubs to start 4th May with games to start end of May.

Individual training for 2 weeks then group training from 18th May.

Matches to resume 27th May to 2nd June

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Still depends on Boris agreeing to mass gatherings. Behind closed doors means no fans- theres still probably 100's at the ground: players/staff/match officials/doctors/ball boys/canteen staff/security/media-tv radio papers/groundsmen/technicians. Also, as we dont have multi ball rule-what if somebody boots the ball into row Z as time wasting? Suppose thats an easy rule to change though.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still depends on Boris agreeing to mass gatherings. Behind closed doors means no fans- theres still probably 100's at the ground: players/staff/match officials/doctors/ball boys/canteen staff/security/media-tv radio papers/groundsmen/technicians. Also, as we dont have multi ball rule-what if somebody boots the ball into row Z as time wasting? Suppose thats an easy rule to change though.

It won’t actually be a gathering though. A gathering is exactly that (a gathering of people in a confined space)

A football stadium with no fans is simply a work place. We could still have a ban on any number of gatherings as long as the restrictions on how many can be in a work place complying with social distancing rules Is higher than the amount needed to stage a football match. Which I’m sure it will be by mid June.

Obviously footballers won’t be able to comply with the social distancing rules but they will have been regularly tested to allow exemption

It’s certainly looking possible that we will have some kind of football to enjoy during the summer thankfully

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of countries have closed borders and those that haven’t have 14 days selfIsolation for any one coming into the country. Most players and managers will be back in their home countries, there’s a fair bit of logistics to negotiate before football begins again.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of countries have closed borders and those that haven’t have 14 days selfIsolation for any one coming into the country. Most players and managers will be back in their home countries, there’s a fair bit of logistics to negotiate before football begins again.
There are reports that any loosening of lockdown will be accompanied by compulsory quarantine measures at the border. I am assuming that the logic is that when we were at CV-19 peak any imported cases were unlikely to be a key factor. However, experience from overseas, particularly China, is that most cases post-lockdown are imported.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There are continual flights arranged by the government through a commercial operator across 220 territories world wide. There would be an advanced warning given of 2 weeks and more before training begins again. Every day thousands of people are coming home. Only those who are nationals or with the Right to remain in the UK are permitted to fly. This isn’t a big deal at all. Also, with the roll out of antibody test kits over the next few weeks this should make all this even easier.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It won’t actually be a gathering though. A gathering is exactly that (a gathering of people in a confined space)

A football stadium with no fans is simply a work place. We could still have a ban on any number of gatherings as long as the restrictions on how many can be in a work place complying with social distancing rules Is higher than the amount needed to stage a football match. Which I’m sure it will be by mid June.

Obviously footballers won’t be able to comply with the social distancing rules but they will have been regularly tested to allow exemption

It’s certainly looking possible that we will have some kind of football to enjoy during the summer thankfully
I'm all for starting BCD asap but I still wonder what happens with the test on players/staff on the match day if one person is found positive?

JJ59

Reaction score
Does anyone think there may be issues for wolves given that we are a Chinese owned club? If for instance there is a backlash against the Chinese in the UK it would be easy for away crowds to turn it to their advantage. Remember how Wolves own supporters turned on Morgan which led him to withdraw from the club. It could become difficult at a personal level for Jeff Shi and his family. At a higher level if countries take on China and seek reparation the Chinese may restrict overseas investment and Wolves ability to function financially woud take a knock.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

A football stadium with no fans is simply a work place.
We could still have a ban on any number of gatherings as long as the restrictions on how many can be in a work place complying with social distancing rules Is higher than the amount needed to stage a football match. Which I’m sure it will be by mid June.

A gathering is exactly that (a gathering of people in a confined space - disagree. People "gathering" in a park is not allowed for instance
A football stadium with no fans is simply a work place -disagree. A work place is a known list of employees who's behaviour and conduct can be monitored and dealot with accordingly. A football stadium has no-end of "strangers" attending - even in supposed closed doors environment.

Boris is extremely keen not to cause a 2nd spike. They have messed up initially (IMO) they will be ultra careful of another wave. Football should not be singled out as exempt. I think we should abandon the season and start again (whenever that is ) with all teams in the same position with the same points and the new season's points added to their carried over stats. (means we qualify for Europe :) )

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone think there may be issues for wolves given that we are a Chinese owned club? If for instance there is a backlash against the Chinese in the UK it would be easy for away crowds to turn it to their advantage. Remember how Wolves own supporters turned on Morgan which led him to withdraw from the club. It could become difficult at a personal level for Jeff Shi and his family. At a higher level if countries take on China and seek reparation the Chinese may restrict overseas investment and Wolves ability to function financially woud take a knock.

There might be some issues regarding it but then again, Germany have done ok out of 2 world wars and a holocaust!The Chinese won’t be able to restrict oversees investment as they will need it, other countries might however seek less investment into China or buying Chinese goods! However, Fosun are HKD stock based and have assets worldwide so it will have little impact on them I would’ve thought.

The truth is. Nobody knows until full and detailed analysis of the subject is completely finalised and that would be over a decade away.

All we know for now is that Fosun have done their upmost as a business and should be congratulated.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If nothing else the mooted return of the premier league is causing panic on Villatalk.
There is one poster on there realistic enough to admit they are, understandably, worried about being relegated not health issues.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm all for starting BCD asap but I still wonder what happens with the test on players/staff on the match day if one person is found positive?

They will need to agree a protocol this, but if done well, the chances of this are extremely low. Players tested and quarantined like astronauts for 2 weeks before the games start and then throughout, with regular testing and good hygiene in the training facilities and stadiums should make them highly unlikely to get infected.

I‘ve been thinking that it should be possible to somewhat mitigate the empty ground atmosphere issues.

Have each club nominate a panel of supporters. Prepare a soundtrack of that clubs chants and support from recent televised games. Then as the nominated supporters watch the games from the comfort of their isolated homes (or isolated seats in the venue), they vote to select both the intensity of the simulated crowd noise and the chants they want to hear. So if Raul scores, then likely they’d select his chant, etc. Away fans can similarly select their sound, but the audio mix could be skewed in favour of the “home” team based on the originally scheduled fixture home team. The audio track is played on tv coverage of the game, and via PA speakers in the ground for the players. For the tv fans, even crowd visuals could be digitally superimposed on the empty stands to complete a fairly realistic simulation of a full ground in full voice. Obviously the players would not benefit from the visual faking of the crowds, but if they hear their fans chants on the PA and know they are selected by real supporters, then that’s something better than silence.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This will be an absolute disaster. Think about it , Liverpool can win the title at Goodison, do you really think hundreds of scousers are not going to gather outside their blue rivals to celebrate ..... if we were to win a title at the Poorthorns our lot wouldn't miss the chance to assemble and gloat would they ? also , any slacking of these regulations would see the beer bellies swarming round supermarkets for cheap booze to take to their mates to watch the matches.... sorry....football is way down on my list of priorities, just null and void the bloody thing and done with it . BCD it may be but the ramifications of a second wave and more economy damage are startling

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also see the British Grand Prix is going ahead BCD! How the **** does that work? The thrill of F1 is the crowds, the noise and the general craziness. I just don't see it with social distancing in place. I just hope all these people who sanction these events are sure they know everyone is safe?

Disco Wolf

Reaction score
I also see the British Grand Prix is going ahead BCD! How the **** does that work? The thrill of F1 is the crowds, the noise and the general craziness.
Really?! I’m barely aware of the crowd when watching F1 on the TV, and I doubt the drivers have much time to notice them during a race.

As for football, a lot of non-league games have probably less in attendance than the benches and club staff at a BCD Premier League game, and personally I don’t find it affects my enjoyment of the match...I think viewers will adjust to it. Better that than canned crowd noise, which I’ve encountered in the past in some broadcasts and found really annoying.

D

Deleted member 4099

Really?! I’m barely aware of the crowd when watching F1 on the TV, and I doubt the drivers have much time to notice them during a race.

As for football, a lot of non-league games have probably less in attendance than the benches and club staff at a BCD Premier League game, and personally I don’t find it affects my enjoyment of the match...I think viewers will adjust to it. Better that than canned crowd noise, which I’ve encountered in the past in some broadcasts and found really annoying.

I don’t agree mate the reaction and interaction of fans is fundamental to watching football either in a ground or on TV. It’s going to be soul destroying imo.

Back
Top Bottom