Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Those Little Things You Remember.....

NewOrder306

Groupie
Reaction score
may have been the match where they kept the Ipswich fans locked in after the game because of the large number of away fans
77 game, yes we were rammed in, think we scored at the end and thought we had won but they equalized about last kick, sure Bobby Gould scored winner at replay...freak goal or something similar. Also seem to remember they had hoards of female fans all screaming when Paul Mariner touched the ball.....little things !!!

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
25 February 1967. Portsmouth v Wolves at Fratton Park. Pompey built a 2-0 lead with both goals having been scored by Cliff Portwood at 15 and 26 minutes. We finally score through Mike Bailey at 71 minutes. Then, at 79 minutes, Peter Knowles hits an equaliser. In a flash he darts into the back of the net to retrieve the ball and , back on the pitch, he gives the ball an almighty upward welly and it sails over the stand roof and out of the ground. Amazing exuberance!

Two minutes later Ernie Hunt scored our winner! :D

Reaction score
Forest away in the fa cup early 90’s, we gave Pearce so much abuse, Nigel got their winner but just remember the abuse we gave Pearce.
A weird one was the first time I heard boing boing after I think Bradley scored, I just wanted to rip my ears out what a **** song
Meeting Cookys parents in the Mersey Clipper.

Wolves, what a great life it is
I had a ticket for this, it coincided with the birth of our second daughter, I remember being in the hospital with my missus, and a midwife came in and told me that Clough had just scored.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
I remember around 1987/88 we always used to play " You Win Again " by the BeeGees, and we usually did!
My music memory from that time is "Take my breath away" from Top Gun. Pretty sure it was on the same mix tape with the Bee Gees the club played, that was the same every game.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My music memory from that time is "Take my breath away" from Top Gun. Pretty sure it was on the same mix tape with the Bee Gees the club played, that was the same every game.
I always remember “dear Jessie” by Madonna, “this time I know it’s for real” by Donna Summer and “ride on time” by Black Box being played. All music supplied by Ruby Red records.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ha! I was spot on! IIRC this was Jimmy Murray's first return to Molineux after being transferred to City, and he scored in the 6th minute, South Bank End. We had a bumpy start to that season in Division 2. I remember losing 1-2 on the opening day at Coventry, after MacIlmoyle put us 1 up.

dgm6769

Reaction score
Late 80's early 90's away on a cold wet day at port vale I think, standing behind and just to the side of goals when bully had a shot it went wide and smacked me full in the face leaving a print in dirt of the ball design of my mush , even the players were laughing.
Me acting like I'd headed it back while the ground stop spinning, think it was only the lager that kept me upright for once

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in north London in the early 80's. I went to Spurs against Everton, it was a night match. I have never forgotten a Neville Southall save. I was in with the Everton Supporters and a Spurs player had a point blank header. Strange how that save has always stayed with me, after all these years.

You can see it here, at 3.06.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stoke v Wolves FA Cup third round January1981. I had terrible flu and it was absolutely freezing but my Dad allowed me to go with him. The first half was the best 45 minutes of traditional cup football I've ever seen. 2-2 at half time, stayed that way, then we beat them at Mol. Lost to Spurs in the semis.

Stingray II

Reaction score
Bully getting knocked out against vile
Memory can play tricks after a few decades, but this is what I recall. I remember a home game against Villa (1980's) where Bully and (I think) their keeper challenged for the ball. In front of the North Bank. Bully scored the goal, but was knocked unconscious in the challenge. After many minutes, he finally was cleared by the ref to continue. Soon after, he received a pass and (confused) attacked in the wrong direction and was stopped by his teammates.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
31 March 2007. Wolves 0 - 6 Southampton.

My favourite personal memory of following us.

We were losing 5 nil and the score was flatterinf them from what I remember.

All the Southbank were singing 6 -5 we're gonna win 6 -5, then the 6th goal goes in for them and the song doesn't even pause, 7-6 we're gonna win 7-6!

Hard to believe those same fans are probably now moaning cause we drew with them Monday night aha.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Memory can play tricks after a few decades, but this is what I recall. I remember a home game against Villa (1980's) where Bully and (I think) their keeper challenged for the ball. In front of the North Bank. Bully scored the goal, but was knocked unconscious in the challenge. After many minutes, he finally was cleared by the ref to continue. Soon after, he received a pass and (confused) attacked in the wrong direction and was stopped by his teammates.
The season that we won 4-0 at Derby, and Bully scored 3, in the game at Molineux Craig Short (?) the Derby centre half decided it wasn’t going to happen again and kicked Bully every time he had a chance. Eventually Bully had to be substituted and as he crossed with the sub by the touchline gave him some brief tactical advice: “kick the ****ing *******” (I sat in the family enclosure and heard every word).

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I lived in north London in the early 80's. I went to Spurs against Everton, it was a night match. I have never forgotten a Neville Southall save. I was in with the Everton Supporters and a Spurs player had a point blank header. Strange how that save has always stayed with me, after all these years.

You can see it here, at 3.06.

Talking of Spurs against Everton. We moved up to Guildford from Dorset in the early 1960's. I was like a kid in a sweetshop with all the football grounds within easy reach. On 11 October 1958, Spurs had beaten Everton 10-4 in a League match at the Lane. Thinking, for some bizarre reason, that there were bound to be goals, I went to see Spurs v Everton on 1 December 1962. To my great disappointment it was an uninspiring 0-0 draw!

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing Middlesbrough (2004 i think) and the dogs abuse we gave Danny Mills non-stop until he was eventually subbed I think - he certainly had a very poor game. Never seen before, or since, the Wolves fans collectively get on the back of an Opposition player to such an extent

Edit: Match report: No place for this kind of vendetta

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Just finishing off a **** in the bogs in the home end of the Tilton 2002. Two Bluenoses appear each side and start talking about getting us in the play offs braggingthey’ll do us.

They were mid-flow as I zipped took a step back gave them a gentle nudge in the back and said “don’t come to Molineux lads” before I exited stage left pretty sharpish.

I can still see the looks of confusion as they tried to compute what I said.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
My 30th Birthday, at Wembley, vs Burnley in the Sherpa Cup.

Had a party in the Lamb on Lambs Conduit Street the night before, and was promised a seat on the coach being run by my Head of Course at Newcastle Poly into Wembley - also boss of the Burnley Supporters Club - got to their hotel, coach was full, so 4 of us - 2 Wolves & 2 Burnley - shared a taxi, with all scarves flying and a driver pooing himself!!!

Don't really matter whatever happens in the rest of my life, those couple of days will always be in the top couple of times of my life ;-)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My 30th Birthday, at Wembley, vs Burnley in the Sherpa Cup.

Had a party in the Lamb on Lambs Conduit Street the night before, and was promised a seat on the coach being run by my Head of Course at Newcastle Poly into Wembley - also boss of the Burnley Supporters Club - got to their hotel, coach was full, so 4 of us - 2 Wolves & 2 Burnley - shared a taxi, with all scarves flying and a driver pooing himself!!!

Don't really matter whatever happens in the rest of my life, those couple of days will always be in the top couple of times of my life ;-)
I know the Lamb. A proper boozer. Now owned by Young's and damn expensive. Went to the Sherpa Van final too. Easier for me though as l was living in London.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheffield Wednesday away in the cup, we took 7k, and was murder trying to park so we abandoned our minibus in a boozer car park, not realising it was their main boozer, we were bottled to **** as we drove out, not sure how we survived That one

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
I know the Lamb. A proper boozer. Now owned by Young's and damn expensive. Went to the Sherpa Van final too. Easier for me though as l was living in London.
Yes it was, back then CAMRA members entered a draw for a tour of the celler, just remembered that was me, but possibly a tad too far gone to remember the celler tour in any detail ;-)
If I'd have known you back then Wicked, you would have been welcome to have joined the 30odd of my then mates from all over, and the taking over of a curry house afters #bestestbirthdayever

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half time v Sheff Wed in THAT cup tie mid 90s, my mate was eating a steak and kidney pie. Complete stranger walks up to us, we were only 14, and says in the thickest Black Country accent ‘oh, gizz a bite of that me mon’, and preceded to eat half of this steaming hot pie.

Preston away too, first game of league one season, I took my now wife, who’s from Manchester. As it was relatively local for us living in Manchester by then. In the concourse I saw loads of lads from wolvo I hadn’t seen for a while. One of them, about 18 stone, shaved head, sticks his hand out and in an even broader Black Country accent, Gornal to be precise, says ‘how bin ya me mon’. To this day my wife’s face still cracks me up, it was like she was hearing a foreign language.

Some of the proper Black Country characters you get following the Wolves are just priceless.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half time v Sheff Wed in THAT cup tie mid 90s, my mate was eating a steak and kidney pie. Complete stranger walks up to us, we were only 14, and says in the thickest Black Country accent ‘oh, gizz a bite of that me mon’, and preceded to eat half of this steaming hot pie.

Preston away too, first game of league one season, I took my now wife, who’s from Manchester. As it was relatively local for us living in Manchester by then. In the concourse I saw loads of lads from wolvo I hadn’t seen for a while. One of them, about 18 stone, shaved head, sticks his hand out and in an even broader Black Country accent, Gornal to be precise, says ‘how bin ya me mon’. To this day my wife’s face still cracks me up, it was like she was hearing a foreign language.

Some of the proper Black Country characters you get following the Wolves are just priceless.
I really enjoyed that pie.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That and T’pau, China in your hand

That is my memory of what seemed to be always be played in the 87/88 season. Unbelievable that the Bee Gees and " You win again " and T'Pau were in the charts 33 years ago this month ! Then Belinda Carisle and " Heaven is a place on earth " became a popular record played at Molineux at Christmas 87.

D

Deleted member 5276

Eric Young's first touch.
The penalty to Birmingham when Bambi fell over.
Tony Daley "running" on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coeur de Loup

Reaction score
25 February 1967. Portsmouth v Wolves at Fratton Park. Pompey built a 2-0 lead with both goals having been scored by Cliff Portwood at 15 and 26 minutes. We finally score through Mike Bailey at 71 minutes. Then, at 79 minutes, Peter Knowles hits an equaliser. In a flash he darts into the back of the net to retrieve the ball and , back on the pitch, he gives the ball an almighty upward welly and it sails over the stand roof and out of the ground. Amazing exuberance!

Two minutes later Ernie Hunt scored our winner! :D
Remember that - and Portsmouth sent us a bill for the cost of the ball!

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont know why but remember. Away at Bristol City and Michael Gray gave up on a ball and bloke behind shouted fooooooking run Earl.....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was the " Will the Exeter City fans stay in the side you are in ! " announcement. For younger Mixers the reason for this announcement causing so much mirth was it was at their ground in February 1988 as thousands of us had taken over 3 sides of St James Park !

The Laurel and Hardy theme tune the South Bank would hum to mock the West Midlands Police when they would start walking in front of the terrace in the 87/88 season with about 10 minutes to go every home game !

Being at a home game to Hereford United in the 87/88 with the Wolves fans singing " You must have come on skateboard " to what seemed about 30 away fans at the most ! In that same game Ian Bowyer the former Nottingham Forest European Cup winner was Hereford's manager he literally caught the ball in the South Bank End penalty area and booted it away and incredibly the only two people in the ground who thought it was not a penalty were the Ref and linesman ( Even then " We only get **** refs ! ) The other thing about that Hereford game was that was played at 3pm on January 1st and the next day at 12 noon Wolves won 2-0 away to Crewe ! How do you fancy that Herr Klopp !

The final home game of the 1990-91 when we beat Pompey 3-1 in what must have been a strange atmosphere for the Wolves players as there was more cheering of what was happening at Bristol Rovers than any of the three goals Wolves scored as the Albion's relegation to the Third Tier of English football was confirmed !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Against Sunderland at Molineux in the early eighties. There was snow on the pitch and some on the terraces. Sunderland fans were mostly just in T shirts despite the cold.
One of them chucked a snow ball from their side of the South Bank to the Wolves side which all of the Sunderland fans and all but one of the Wolves fans watched it's trajectory with great interest until the moment it hit me smack on my ear at which point both sides of the stand fell about ....ing themselves laughing.

Flipping hurt I can tell you!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves v Sheff Utd FA CUP 4th Round, 1966. Peter Knowles hits a thunderbolt, Eddie Hodgkinson dives, misses it, the ball cannons of the post, hits Eddie plum on the **** while he's still in mid-air, and rolls back into the net. 3-0 game over!
My Dad’s favourite game

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

First game I took my lad to aged about six. Met up with some folks from another forum in the Bluebrick. Having a chat with Gav who has the broadest accent in the world..... I'm aware of my boy tugging my arm....I look down.... he says
'Dad, dad, what language is Gav speaking?'

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Talking of Spurs against Everton. We moved up to Guildford from Dorset in the early 1960's. I was like a kid in a sweetshop with all the football grounds within easy reach. On 11 October 1958, Spurs had beaten Everton 10-4 in a League match at the Lane. Thinking, for some bizarre reason, that there were bound to be goals, I went to see Spurs v Everton on 1 December 1962. To my great disappointment it was an uninspiring 0-0 draw!
I remember that 10-4. At the time there was an American cops series on ITV called Highway Patrol starting Broderick Crawford. The call sign from the car to HQ was '10-4', and the answer was '10-4', and this got picked up in the national press when Spurs emulated it!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember my first game at Molineux. Wolves v Man Utd, October 1973. My Dad took me for my birthday. I went as a United fan to see my heroes, buchan, morgan, kidd etc.
On the way to ground United fans walked over a line of parked cars and lou macari leaned out of a window to talk to fans.
Atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. We were un the south bank, shared with utd fans. Of course there was trouble. Everyone dressed like bay cuty rollers. All scarves and bover boots.
Cant remember much about the game, other than Wolves win 2-1. Dougan and McCalliog. I left a Wolves fan.
My Dad died from covid last night at the age of 95. Will always remember how happy he was that day.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I remember my first game at Molineux. Wolves v Man Utd, October 1973. My Dad took me for my birthday. I went as a United fan to see my heroes, buchan, morgan, kidd etc.
On the way to ground United fans walked over a line of parked cars and lou macari leaned out of a window to talk to fans.
Atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. We were un the south bank, shared with utd fans. Of course there was trouble. Everyone dressed like bay cuty rollers. All scarves and bover boots.
Cant remember much about the game, other than Wolves win 2-1. Dougan and McCalliog. I left a Wolves fan.
My Dad died from covid last night at the age of 95. Will always remember how happy he was that day.
Sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom