Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Those Little Things You Remember.....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember my first game at Molineux. Wolves v Man Utd, October 1973. My Dad took me for my birthday. I went as a United fan to see my heroes, buchan, morgan, kidd etc.
On the way to ground United fans walked over a line of parked cars and lou macari leaned out of a window to talk to fans.
Atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. We were un the south bank, shared with utd fans. Of course there was trouble. Everyone dressed like bay cuty rollers. All scarves and bover boots.
Cant remember much about the game, other than Wolves win 2-1. Dougan and McCalliog. I left a Wolves fan.
My Dad died from covid last night at the age of 95. Will always remember how happy he was that day.
A lovely memory at a sad time for you. Hope that your dad rests in peace. Glad that he got to see Wolves back at the top after years of grief. Sadly my dad didn't.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2010/11 season,we beat a previously unbeaten Man Utd 2-1 with a Herculean performance in an evening kick-off at a bouncing Molineux.

However,one really small thing about this match has always stayed with me,and made me chuckle to myself when I think about it.

Heading towards the end of the 90 every Wolves fan awaited the 3rd official putting the board up showing how much injury time was to be played.

When the board went up showing 5 minutes there was immediately a collective sound around Molineux of every Wolves fan saying "Five!!!" all at the same time in a shocked voice.

Thankfully we held on for an important victory, but that one small detail has always stayed with me.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The season that we won 4-0 at Derby, and Bully scored 3, in the game at Molineux Craig Short (?) the Derby centre half decided it wasn’t going to happen again and kicked Bully every time he had a chance. Eventually Bully had to be substituted and as he crossed with the sub by the touchline gave him some brief tactical advice: “kick the ****ing *******” (I sat in the family enclosure and heard every word).
Seem to remember it was Martin Kuhl.

D

Deleted member 4152

So many

89 at burnden park. They were everywhere after us cos they had had a good hiding at ours two years before. Rough as ****. Drove out of bolton looking for a boozer, spots one. One of ours goes in to check, comes out “yeh it’s ok”. So we went to go in and a load of faces appear at the window.

“Did you check the bar?” I says. “No. Only the lounge“ he says. “**** me is that the time, I must be off”

So many stories I could write a book. Mixers should get together and write a book

(Some mixers couldn’t read a book but that’s another story).

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many

89 at burnden park. They were everywhere after us cos they had had a good hiding at ours two years before. Rough as ****. Drove out of bolton looking for a boozer, spots one. One of ours goes in to check, comes out “yeh it’s ok”. So we went to go in and a load of faces appear at the window.

“Did you check the bar?” I says. “No. Only the lounge“ he says. “**** me is that the time, I must be off”

So many stories I could write a book. Mixers should get together and write a book

I’d just had me ACL reconstruction, on crutches, scarf round me neck (****ed off as ****) and ‘walked’ out with no bother. Timing ... is everything.

Edit: Got the wrong game ... that was 95. But, I was there in 89 too. ‘One and only Wanderers’ my ****. Where are they now?

Last edited:

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many

Not sure some people would believe them. The time 4 of us walked into a main Millwall boozer, and 3 of us **** ourselves, while my mates dad proceeds to tell one of them I think we will win today!!! Shut up Graham, though we did win 1-0 thanks to Bully! They were that taken aback I think they forgot to beat the **** out of us

D

Deleted member 4152

I’d just had me ACL reconstruction, on crutches, scarf round me neck (****ed off as ****) and ‘walked’ out with no bother. Timing ... is everything.

Edit: Got the wrong game ... that was 95. But, I was there in 89 too. ‘One and only Wanderers’ my ****. Where are they now?
95 went on a mates stag do. Coach full of us

stopped outside the town for beers, skinhead comes in, clocks us. Back out into the phone box. Nobody came

on the way out I asked him “nobody fancy it mate?” “Nah he says, couldn’t get the numbers”. ****ers

we were that ****ed by the time we got to the ground 3 of us thought it would be a good idea to go into that pub opposite.

D

Deleted member 4152

Not sure some people would believe them. The time 4 of us walked into a main Millwall boozer, and 3 of us **** ourselves, while my mates dad proceeds to tell one of them I think we will win today!!! Shut up Graham, though we did win 1-0 thanks to Bully! They were that taken aback I think they forgot to beat the **** out of us
Charlton away last game of the season. Always enjoyed charlton away

Anyways we are in a station, bout 15 of us, in the bar. Big glass front to this bar. Lights go off, doors locked, pulls off

”what’s going on?” We ask

”ermm the millwall special has just pulled in and they have just been relegated”

“you what?”

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Someone just in front of me lobbing a flask at Emile Heskey. It seemed to bost into a thousand pieces!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being told by a Walsall supporter at work that we would never get served in Shrewsbury, it’s impossible, they’ll not let you in. Spent all day drinking in Shrewsbury abd met willie Carr in the pub too for good measure, Wolves always find a way in the pubs

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Southend player shoving Mark Atkins into the away end fence at Roots Hall.

Denis Wise laughing at the south bank singing “one Jimmy Krankie” when he went to take a corner.

A Wolves fan jumping out the stand at Norwich when they equalised to smack the linesman (got jumped on by police before he made it). It was the 3-2 game when Bully scored 2.

The chap running on the pitch at Tranmere and pulling the keepers shorts down.

2 Huddersfield players fighting each other on the pitch a Molineux.

Holding on to a 1 goal lead at Molineux in the premier league season under Dave Jones. Injury time and Paul Butler slices a clearance behind for a needless corner. Never heard so many people say “for ****s sake” at the same time.

Mike Stowell making the best save Iv ever seen against Bolton at Molineux. Pitch was waterlogged.

The bloke going on the pitch to fight Uriah Rennie, getting closer and then realising that Rennie is a big ****er and not fancying it anymore.
The lad who pulled the Tranmere keeper shorts down was Badger, great lad who very sadly was killed in an accident a few years ago

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
First game I took my lad to aged about six. Met up with some folks from another forum in the Bluebrick. Having a chat with Gav who has the broadest accent in the world..... I'm aware of my boy tugging my arm....I look down.... he says
'Dad, dad, what language is Gav speaking?'
You are correct Oldgold, his accent was strong, and when he became excited it was very difficult to understand.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can remember the goal post getting broken and having to be replaced. I think it might have been a Cup match against Bournemouth .

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember my first game at Molineux. Wolves v Man Utd, October 1973. My Dad took me for my birthday. I went as a United fan to see my heroes, buchan, morgan, kidd etc.
On the way to ground United fans walked over a line of parked cars and lou macari leaned out of a window to talk to fans.
Atmosphere was electric and a bit scary. We were un the south bank, shared with utd fans. Of course there was trouble. Everyone dressed like bay cuty rollers. All scarves and bover boots.
Cant remember much about the game, other than Wolves win 2-1. Dougan and McCalliog. I left a Wolves fan.
My Dad died from covid last night at the age of 95. Will always remember how happy he was that day.
Sincere condolences on your loss. May your Dad RIP.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was that the one when Bully scored right at the death and then it all kicked off afterwards? Bloody terrifying!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are correct Oldgold, his accent was strong, and when he became excited it was very difficult to understand.
Nice to see you here mate. Hope you are well. Yep, certainly need to tune your ears in for Gav.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great memories.
One of mine was Man City at home in the early 80s. Maybe late 70s. Kenny Hibbitt hit the crossbar with a couple of minutes left and when the final whistle went Joe Corrigan, I think it was, anyway the City goalkeeper touched the bar and it was still shaking. I was stood in the north bank and can still picture his face.
Great times.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice to see you here mate. Hope you are well. Yep, certainly need to tune your ears in for Gav.
I gather that Gav has been ill. Plater saw him a while back but I don't think he had any chance to go into detail with him. You will know who I am if I tell you that I come from Woking. Gav has not posted on the other site for quite a while now. I hope he is ok.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Going to get a Sunday paper so I could read the "Saturday" match report in those days when matches kicked off at 3.00pm (long before Tim Berners-Lee had came up with the idea of the World Wide Web).

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father. May he rest in peace.

Reactions: Kph

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family, and happy that your Dad witnessed so many good times as a Wolves supporter including the game that you allude to.

I too was at the game and as you say it was "electric" and extremely intimidating, however it wouldn't have been wise to suggest to a "boot boy" that he looked like he'd just come off the stage after singing "Shang A Lang". :D

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bully getting knocked out against vile

Jesus. Showing our age there. What days they were

Memory can play tricks after a few decades, but this is what I recall. I remember a home game against Villa (1980's) where Bully and (I think) their keeper challenged for the ball. In front of the North Bank. Bully scored the goal, but was knocked unconscious in the challenge. After many minutes, he finally was cleared by the ref to continue. Soon after, he received a pass and (confused) attacked in the wrong direction and was stopped by his teammates.

I seem to remember it was a night game and a group of lads (substantial number 20+) managed to get into the closed/derelict North Bank for a short while before they got moved out.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I gather that Gav has been ill. Plater saw him a while back but I don't think he had any chance to go into detail with him. You will know who I am if I tell you that I come from Woking. Gav has not posted on the other site for quite a while now. I hope he is ok.
Thanks for letting me know. I havent been on the other site in ages...probably list my log in details by now. Please pass on my regards to the old lags, hope you and they are keeping well.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I seem to remember it was a night game and a group of lads (substantial number 20+) managed to get into the closed/derelict North Bank for a short while before they got moved out.
Definitely a night game as it was League Cup. It was second leg and I think we'd lost 1-0 at theirs and Bully's header was an equaliser.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Oldgold, thinking about what you said about Gav, Mr D had a much stronger accent and he really was hard to understand at times.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss bleaching his hair in the winning championship season for a couple of games :flushed:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing Middlesbrough (2004 i think) and the dogs abuse we gave Danny Mills non-stop until he was eventually subbed I think - he certainly had a very poor game. Never seen before, or since, the Wolves fans collectively get on the back of an Opposition player to such an extent

Edit: Match report: No place for this kind of vendetta
Port Vale away with Lee Hughes is by far the worst abuse we have ever given to an opposition player and quite rightly so

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oldgold, thinking about what you said about Gav, Mr D had a much stronger accent and he really was hard to understand at times.
You may be right. Pick up one word in 5 and hope you nod in the right places!

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I remember every time a player went down injured that 2 saint johns ambulance men would run on with a stretcher. They very rarely had to use it. One of the 2 guys had long blond hair and used to leave to chants of “one Jimmy Saville”. I think he used to wave back to the crowd. This was before the general public knew about savilles child abuse.

Reaction score
I remember every time a player went down injured that 2 saint johns ambulance men would run on with a stretcher. They very rarely had to use it. One of the 2 guys had long blond hair and used to leave to chants of “one Jimmy Saville”. I think he used to wave back to the crowd. This was before the general public knew about savilles child abuse.
Remember that well

Reaction score
Port Vale away with Lee Hughes is by far the worst abuse we have ever given to an opposition player and quite rightly so
I think we gave him more stick playing for the Tesco’s when he was going out with a lap dancer. He was substituted cos he was so wound up

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know. I haven't been on the other site in ages...probably list my log in details by now. Please pass on my regards to the old lags, hope you and they are keeping well.
I put a post on the old site, passing on your best wishes.

Here's a reply from Woody:-

"Good to hear from him even if it's indirectly. Best wishes mate, hope you are doing well."

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I put a post on the old site, passing on your best wishes.

Here's a reply from Woody:-

"Good to hear from him even if it's indirectly. Best wishes mate, hope you are doing well."
Many thanks. I am doing fine, this year considering!

Back
Top Bottom