Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

This time last season

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I have just looked at the table this time last year.
At this stage we were 3 points better than we are now level with Norwich and were on a 4 match losing streak on 27.

Derby topped the league with 35 points
Bournmouth had 33
Watford had 32

Brighton were 3rd from bottom on 18.

I know it's all relative and the current top teams are 5-6 points better than they were last years but I think it shows a winning run can change things and there are lots of movement in both directions yet!!

Last edited by a moderator:

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree the championship is the most competitive league. Our next 3 games can completely change how the January window could go for us.

There will be plenty of twists and turns before the season is over.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but we'd also had Nouha Dicko out for at least a month and he was on the verge of returning. That won't be happening anytime soon.

We were also vaguely competent last season, and had in Sako a player capable of winning games, scoring and providing goals even when we weren't playing too well. That also won't be repeated anytime soon as we don't have anyone in the current squad capable of doing so.

The sad truth is, deep down we all know we're nowhere near good enough. I'm sure Moxey and Jackett will pedal out the usual and expected dribble about how a few good results and runs could see us push up the table etc, but those results and runs will never materialize because we're simply not good enough. Our football is bland at best, our manager doesn't have a clue what his best team is, and unless the habit of a lifetime is altered in January and we do actually spend serious money, which of course we won't, mid table obscurity is the only thing on the cards.

Personally, it's going to take more than a scrappy win at Rotherham for me to believe any different.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
So we had Sako and had Dicko except for a spell but we were only 3 points better. I suppose we were a month away from signing Afobe but results wise were not that far from where we were.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the past two January's we have signed Afobe and Dicko, not sure we will do that again this year. But this league is still wide open for the playoffs and as much as it's the team that get the points the actions of the Board in January will largely determine how the second half of the season will go.

Previously there were players that I had faith that the board wouldn't sell now I'm not so sure, it will depend on how negotiations on the sale of the club are going.

Until then the team need to build on their confidence and keep grinding out results.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All is DEFINITELY not lost, so let's TRY and be positive.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Put it this way:

After 19 games last year, we were 5 points behind 6th place, and ended up finishing level.

After 19 games this season, we're 5 points behind 6th place.

M

merseawolf

Our leading scorer isnt even getting a start now. What is there exactly in this squad that makes anyone think we'll get anywhere near 70 odd points. We're putting out teams this year that are struggling to beat barnet and newport as well as MK. There is absolutly nothing here to suggest we have what it takes to get anywhere near top six. Sure we'll win a few but we'll also throw in performances where we get nothing. Morgan aint going to throw any money KJ's way. We're stuck with what we have. I've resigned myself to mid table mediocraty at best. I dont think i'll be dissapointed.

M

merseawolf

I'll have a £10 bet with the first poster who replies that we finish behind QPR Sheff Weds and Ipswich. Winning money to charity.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's still time.

Most of those at the top won't continue at their current rate and from what I've seen from them all so far none look anything special compared to those in recent seasons.

We really do need to get a run going now though to put us back in the mix heading into the second half.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
easily possible to be in the promotion mix but it will need a change of mindset from the club. If we stop being so cautious and actually go out looking to win games convincingly and not fearing the opposition.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
easily possible to be in the promotion mix but it will need a change of mindset from the club. If we stop being so cautious and actually go out looking to win games convincingly and not fearing the opposition.

Which is what seemed to happen as we came out of our bad run around this time last season and we saw what nearly happened then.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All those saying we had sako, we were just about to lose him for a month this time last year

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All those saying we had sako, we were just about to lose him for a month this time last year

Quite right. If I remember, didn't our return to form start about when we lost him? At the time I was not his biggest fan, but his good form and commitment after his return went some way to making me respect him.

M

merseawolf

So what would happen if we lost our most influential player for a month right now? Say Mcdonald or Afobe. Wouldnt fancy our chances of putting a winning run together without one of those 2.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
............it will depend on how negotiations on the sale of the club are going.

Until then the team need to build on their confidence and keep grinding out results.

The above is how I see the question for the rest of the season. There are so many potential twists and turns and so many points to play for. People expect players to have commitment to the cause and focus but all the time too many people portray disillusionment. We might as well just support the eleven on the pitch while this horrendous distraction of a sale takes place....I can't believe how people continually ignore the stalemate the club has been pitched into while Morgan plays around elsewhere

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite right. If I remember, didn't our return to form start about when we lost him? At the time I was not his biggest fan, but his good form and commitment after his return went some way to making me respect him.

We won 2 and drew 2 without him, not saying he isn't a loss but no team should be built around 1 player

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...I can't believe how people continually ignore the stalemate the club has been pitched into while Morgan plays around elsewhere[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We don't know how far negotiations are going or if there are any serious parties. For all we know there could be something close (ish), there maybe things the "new" owners want assurances on ( sale of key players, investment in the team?) we just don't know. Similarly, it maybe a sell before you buy or there could be a modest budget.

As much as the initial statement said Morgan would continue to financially support the club we have no idea what that means.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we change the manager we will have a chance!!

D

Deleted member 4099

A couple of good signings we could still have a good season. Im afraid I have no faith that were capable of making those signings.

J

johnybig32

Need to be in touch come January.

Going to be a massive window.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
I'm not sure how these sales work but surely the club is more attractive to a buyer with our best assets?

D

Deleted member 4309

I'm not sure how these sales work but surely the club is more attractive to a buyer with our best assets?

Not unless we sell afobe for 10 million then Mr morgan wants 10 million less for the club but I don't understand how it all works lol

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You would think that but who knows what is going on in Morgan's head. If he doesn't want to put anymore money in then we are going to have to sell before we buy. Unfortunately Afobe would raise the most money, the only hope is they have a replacement lined up. No one was expecting them to get Afobe last January but I don't hold out any hope that they have got someone lined up.

As I mentioned earlier unless we are further down the negotiation stage and prospective owners make a point of saying he stays, then he is the one I see going.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You would think that but who knows what is going on in Morgan's head. If he doesn't want to put anymore money in then we are going to have to sell before we buy. Unfortunately Afobe would raise the most money, the only hope is they have a replacement lined up. No one was expecting them to get Afobe last January but I don't hold out any hope that they have got someone lined up.

As I mentioned earlier unless we are further down the negotiation stage and prospective owners make a point of saying he stays, then he is the one I see going.

....though maybe he has shown that there are some limitations to his game at this stage of his career and perhaps his value is not what it was ? There was certainly some feedback on the verdict that Le Fondre led the line and ran the channels well yesterday...it would be nice to hear that Afobe could show this kind of application...it's just too easy to keep blaming Jackett for the deficiencies of some of these players

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Main difference being we had Dicko and Sako.
And we were playing a reasonably fast, possession based game which has completely disappeared now. This season is no where like last. We had some confidence, belief and with the imminent arrival of an unstoppable BA we should have made the pos. This year we see players like EEL and Jordan Graham as some kind of Messi-like heroes for us which just shows what a mess we are in. If we finish top half it will be a miracle.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....though maybe he has shown that there are some limitations to his game at this stage of his career and perhaps his value is not what it was ? There was certainly some feedback on the verdict that Le Fondre led the line and ran the channels well yesterday...it would be nice to hear that Afobe could show this kind of application...it's just too easy to keep blaming Jackett for the deficiencies of some of these players

Quite agree. His value could well have gone down since the summer but it depends in who's eyes. If wolves turned down the reported £10m then I can't see them taking anything less. Who comes in for him is also a factor why would he want to go to a club that could well be relegated.

He like Graham are still learning thier game and Afobe may think he needs longer here.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would seem the last play off place is very open .

Cant see us getting that playing 451.

Unfortunately kj doesnt completely trust gk and back four so we play 5 in the middle which in turn means we dont score enough.

The current team might improve 10per cent but more likely we would need reinforcements in january -without serious money cant see that happening.Owner is unlikely to spend as he tries to sell.

So midtable beckons.Try again in 2016/17 with new owner and maybe new manager,recruitment and ceo .Hny.

Back
Top Bottom