Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

**** the Premier League (and modern football in general)

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wondered what you meant by this, but then found out they're owned by Sky.

He will be getting called into the office at some point in the near future, no doubt
No different to YouTube (Google) railing against Article 13, despite being the main cheerleader for the EU dictatorship and a censor of any opposing view.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Strange use of the word we tbf, being brutal without the premier league that guy wouldn’t have a job. To say we’ve gained nothing is harsh.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wondered what you meant by this, but then found out they're owned by Sky.

He will be getting called into the office at some point in the near future, no doubt
Or, to be more in keeping with today's practice, he could receive an email with black edging.:eek:

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strange use of the word we tbf, being brutal without the premier league that guy wouldn’t have a job. To say we’ve gained nothing is harsh.

Maybe so but he is right in that with the creation of the PL the game was totally rebranded by capitalists looking to create a slick product that they could sell back to the general public at a premium.

And that is exactly what they have done.

And then New Zealand Rugby got the same people behind the rebranding of football in England to come and do the same to rugby over here. Our Rugby culture destroyed in mere years...and turned into a product.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Footballs better now, I don’t care what anybody says to the contrary. It’s all well and good looking back through rose tinted specs, but things weren’t as good as they seem. The stadiums were appalling, safety non existent and the standard of football was poor compared to today. And before anyone chimes in, yes I was around then. Going to home games with a half open stadium with a burned out Waterloo road and derelict north bank. Also remember going to St. Andrews on the away end as a child where the “toilet” was a wall people ****ed against. People forget that sky money and the brand promotion of the premier league pays for all the nice things we have today.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"It’s important we remember something about football. It’s ours. We own it. Not them."

I don't think this has ever really been true. Some clubs have been owned by fans, but mostly football clubs have been owned by private groups or individuals. To be honest I think fans have somewhat fooled themselves into thinking it's ever been different.

Wasn't football, in part, developed in the public school system? This whole 'sport for the working-class' was never the intention of the FA.

The Premier League has been successful because that is what a good amount of people want. Not everyone is going to be happy, but enough are. I think it's worked out pretty good overall.

W

we8wba

If there was no premier league and sky they’d be no Chinese owner, no Nuno, no neves etc etc

It’s alright saying we hate sky
It s alright saying we hate premier brand

But it’s changed quality of football here, it’ll likely be best football I’ve seen live for Wolves ever.

When it gets to next weekend how many of us won’t watch a live sky/bt game? Minimal I say - I’ll prob watch all bar wolves which attending

So really much as you want to hate it we need to love it

E

Edgmond Wolf

If there was no premier league and sky they’d be no Chinese owner, no Nuno, no neves etc etc

But it’s changed quality of football here, it’ll likely be best football I’ve seen live for Wolves ever.

When it gets to next weekend how many of us won’t watch a live sky/bt game? Minimal I say - I’ll prob watch all bar wolves which attending

I hope with al my heart, Sky goes bust

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t even watch any football on TV, without paying subscriptions

I haven't got Sky or BT Sport, so I won't watch any other professional games. I'll probably go and watch Stourbridge for a tenner for me and my lad, I'll stand with a few mates, have a beer before and after.

I still love Wolves and I'll watch our game, but apart from that I've fallen out of love with the rest of the pro game.

M

merseawolf

The Emerites summed modern day football up for me. Fantastic stadium, zero home atmosphere, fantastic players on show earning fortunes, awful kick off time, expensive day out.
Is it better than days gone by? Not in my opinion but i see myself and many others getting priced out of it as we become more successful and i will likely become totally reliant on Sky to watch the 'product'

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"It’s important we remember something about football. It’s ours. We own it. Not them."

I don't think this has ever really been true. Some clubs have been owned by fans, but mostly football clubs have been owned by private groups or individuals. To be honest I think fans have somewhat fooled themselves into thinking it's ever been different.

Wasn't football, in part, developed in the public school system? This whole 'sport for the working-class' was never the intention of the FA.

The Premier League has been successful because that is what a good amount of people want. Not everyone is going to be happy, but enough are. I think it's worked out pretty good overall.
Think you aren't quite correct there, I recall the public school element wanted to stay amateur, but mainly northern clubs went professional in about the 1920's (not sure). I i imagine this was seen as pretty similar to the premier kague revolutionary the time.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No different to YouTube (Google) railing against Article 13, despite being the main cheerleader for the EU dictatorship and a censor of any opposing view.
Nothing to do with Wolves.

Pse keep the conspiracy theories in nutter corner (aka the Politics stream) as l really am not in the slightest interested in your ill-informed views on the EU (which l have worked with for UK).

lycophilos

Reaction score
Think you aren't quite correct there, I recall the public school element wanted to stay amateur, but mainly northern clubs went professional in about the 1920's (not sure). I i imagine this was seen as pretty similar to the premier kague revolutionary the time.

I think it was much earlier than the 1920s. Sometime in the late 19th century would be my guess - but, as with professional rugby, it would have been hidden away at first (brown envelopes, perks etc.)

lycophilos

Reaction score

Pse keep the conspiracy theories in nutter corner (aka the Politics stream) as l really am not in the slightest interested in your ill-informed views on the EU (which l have worked with for UK).

And quite laughable is his idea that Youtube is censoring anti-EU views! On the contrary, it keeps recommending videos and sites to me which are virulently anti-EU, anti-immigration, pro-Farage, pro-Trump etc.etc.etc.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The FA legitimised professionalism in 1885.
That's why loads of Scots came down to play in England, because in Scotland it was still amateur. I believe the richer clubs like Preston and Sunderland employed them and were successful. Even in the early days money played a big part in football.

D

Deleted member 3573J

There'd be no Fosun, but it's all relative isn't it? If there was no sky, there'd be no big money in any other European league either, tv money in Europe came along at pretty much the same time. Foreign players moving around would have come with or without Sky due to freedom of movement. Nuno was alive and in football pre Sky and Neves would still have been born so who knows where they'd be now.

Never had a subscription to sky or bt, but you make a fair point, I see plenty of people complaining about games being moved then they are on the 'today's games' thread commenting on sky games. Only those without sky can complain.

D

Deleted member 3573J

A fortnight on the forum and already thinking you're a moderator telling people where they can and can't post. I think he hit a nerve.

D

Deleted member 3573J

And quite laughable is his idea that Youtube is censoring anti-EU views! On the contrary, it keeps recommending videos and sites to me which are virulently anti-EU, anti-immigration, pro-Farage, pro-Trump etc.etc.etc.

It would be laughable if he actually said that but he said the opposite. He's saying youtube (owned by google) allows anti EU videos yet Google themselves are pro the EU dictatorship, which is spot on. Playing both sides, same as what Murdoch has always done.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are people confusing Sky with the Premier League? I don't necessarily think the piece is about Sky more about how the Premier League have sold us a rebranded product at much higher prices and certainly I detest how the history pre-Premier League is almost banished, Division 1 was still the "premier" league in England you pricks!!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A fortnight on the forum and already thinking you're a moderator telling people where they can and can't post. I think he hit a nerve.
For what it's worth l first attempted to register on here some 10 years ago and have lurked since. I have no aspirations to be a moderator but have already been involved in at least one thread which had a spat over Brexit in the course of which inadvertent upset was caused. Given that and the fact that my interest in MolMix is Wolves not the political views of a person l don't know l posted as I did. I thought that it was common sense.

Oh and by the way longevity on here or number of posts are zero indication of importance or added weight to opinion. Your opinion has no more validity than mine so get over yourself.

lycophilos

Reaction score
It would be laughable if he actually said that but he said the opposite. He's saying youtube (owned by google) allows anti EU videos yet Google themselves are pro the EU dictatorship, which is spot on. Playing both sides, same as what Murdoch has always done.

Actually, I remember reading that Google (and some other search engines?) gave undue prominence to alt-right, and other sorts of far right websites, when people searched for sites on particular topics. I'm prepared to believe that is partially true, as that has been my experience. And as for Youtube, it doesn't just allow anti EU etc. videos, it actually seems to give them prominence.

However, apparently that may not be anything due to the policies of the owners/controllers of these sites, but a result of the "algorithms" used.

There are far too many conspiracy theories around - on all sides of the political "debate".

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Times have changed, time to move on.

D

Deleted member 3573J

For what it's worth l first attempted to register on here some 10 years ago and have lurked since. I have no aspirations to be a moderator but have already been involved in at least one thread which had a spat over Brexit in the course of which inadvertent upset was caused. Given that and the fact that my interest in MolMix is Wolves not the political views of a person l don't know l posted as I did. I thought that it was common sense.

Oh and by the way longevity on here or number of posts are zero indication of importance or added weight to opinion. Your opinion has no more validity than mine so get over yourself.

Did I say it was important? I've been on here years and never told anyone where they should be posting, I just think its a bit odd to join a forum then straight away start telling posters where they should be posting. You're the one who thinks you're important, 'I've no interest in this, I don't want to read that', posters old and new aren't here to keep you happy.

The post was relevant anyway as it was an example of how a company can be on both sides of the argument to get what they want. Football 365 slag off the Premier League then a load of people leap to its defence saying how incredible it is so always worthwhile having some negative publicity, even better if you control that negativity yourself. You don't get a load of fans saying how amazing sky and the Premier league is without someone criticising it first.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I say it was important? I've been on here years and never told anyone where they should be posting, I just think its a bit odd to join a forum then straight away start telling posters where they should be posting. You're the one who thinks you're important, 'I've no interest in this, I don't want to read that', posters old and new aren't here to keep you happy.

The post was relevant anyway as it was an example of how a company can be on both sides of the argument to get what they want. Football 365 slag off the Premier League then a load of people leap to its defence saying how incredible it is so always worthwhile having some negative publicity, even better if you control that negativity yourself. You don't get a load of fans saying how amazing sky and the Premier league is without someone criticising it first.
I don't want a row and respect your views so will leave it there

BN1Wolves

Reaction score

Who gives a **** what you are interested in. Its a forum so YOU should get over YOURself.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who gives a **** what you are interested in. Its a forum so YOU should get over YOURself.
I dont need to explain myself to anyone but as it happens did so directly above. I inadvertently upset Northnorfolkwolf previously and was trying to head off any similar incident. I also assume that you missed bod's post. Finally you are no more a mod than l am so take your own advice!

BN1Wolves

Reaction score
I dont need to explain myself to anyone but as it happens did so directly above. I inadvertently upset Northnorfolkwolf previously and was trying to head off any similar incident. I also assume that you missed bod's post. Finally you are no more a mod than l am so take your own advice!
But I never said I was or was not interested in someone elses comment on a public forum , unlike you . Seems to me like you are one of those winkers that loves the smell of her own farts. Peace.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I never said I was or was not interested in someone elses comment on a public forum , unlike you . Seems to me like you are one of those winkers that loves the smell of her own farts. Peace.
My farts, particularly after a gutful of real ale, stink so I think not lol.. peace to you too.

F

Fast Eddie

The standard of football is undoubtedly better now but it's not neccasarily more exciting. The end to end nature and better atmospheres always made the english football top flight the best to watch in europe. And the standard can't have been that bad as english clubs had plenty of european success.

E

Edgmond Wolf

I agree it is the nutter corner and has got worse over last few months

E

Edgmond Wolf

Unless you get to 50,000 posts ;):p

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im just about old enough to remember football before the back pass rule came in which is when things really changed.
It is so much better now.
Obviously people who experienced the 60s and so on will hark back to them times as that's human nature but objectively, watching footage of the football on show, it was rubbish.
The fact we have 6 games before Christmas and only 1 of them is on a Saturday, let alone 3pm is annoying.
But it's also what we have all wanted for years.

Would you rather be playing Ipswich and Rotherham on consecutive Saturday's or Premier League football on a Sunday and Friday?
No brainer for me

E

Edgmond Wolf

Im just about old enough to remember football before the back pass rule came in which is when things really changed.
It is so much better now.
Obviously people who experienced the 60s and so on will hark back to them times as that's human nature but objectively, watching footage of the football on show, it was rubbish.
The fact we have 6 games before Christmas and only 1 of them is on a Saturday, let alone 3pm is annoying.
But it's also what we have all wanted for years.

Would you rather be playing Ipswich and Rotherham on consecutive Saturday's or Premier League football on a Sunday and Friday?
No brainer for me
It is the lack of Saturday footie and the stupid times for KO for long journeys

Back
Top Bottom