Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The phrases that pundits and commentators can't live without now

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are getting onto radio comms, anyone remember George 'and the ball keeps spinning away' Andrews and Dave Rowe on the Wolf 107? And Bill and Pete 'Wolves must score.....' followed by silence?!

I have to say as well that Mikey Burrows is like nails down a blackboard for me sometimes, although he does seem to be improving. Always enjoyed his interviews and in particular his excellent podcasts, but the whole 'Raul Jimenez, Raul Jimenez, Raul Jimenez, would you believe it, the Mexican sensation sends Molineux into raptures....it's remarkable, it's sensational, it's absolutely stratospeherical' nonsense stopped even sounding amusing after his third goal.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One that boils my pizzz is “Trent”

A funny one is “half a yard”… who even uses full yards as a measure let alone half ones ;)
Older people like me. If I see a long distance shot on goal I would call it a '30 yarder' or a '25 yarder', never in a million years would I call it a '25 metrer'. The yard and the old measurement system survives in all kinds of phrases, like 'give him an inch and he'll take a mile' I heard Joey Barton the other day talking about 'doing the hard yards'.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Turnover" gets my back up

Everytime they turn over in that transition

Never heard so many pundits use the turnover phrase as lately - I used to call it losing the ball or possession lost FFS
I think 'turnover' and 'transition' were recently borrowed from rugby, where they have been common for years.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect the old fellas behind me in the SBU are contributing to this thread. Their tactical wisdom for us all to hear being...

"Stop fannying around" (a pass played in our defensive third)
"Gerrit up there" (ball in our half)
"Gerrit in there" (ball anywhere in a channel)
"Noooo forwards" (a pass backwards)
"****ing shoot" (ball anywhere within a 40 yard radius of the goal)
"Out out out" (Reaction to a low block)

Charles Reap would be proud

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect the old fellas behind me in the SBU are contributing to this thread. Their tactical wisdom for us all to hear being...

Sounds like some of those around me in the NBU......
"Gerrit over" being another phrase heard too often.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not perfect, as you can see from the different sites. However if you check those two on understat Hwang was 0.08, should have been blocked and saved. Cunha didn't even register on the basis that you couldn't really call whatever it was he did a goal effort! However all that really means it's imperfect, not meaningless.
No I reckon you've just demonstrated it's pretty meaningless.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably been said already but when something innocuous happens and the comms says "Well, VAR are having a look at it..."

They "look" at literally everything, that's their job ffs!

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Older people like me. If I see a long distance shot on goal I would call it a '30 yarder' or a '25 yarder', never in a million years would I call it a '25 metrer'. The yard and the old measurement system survives in all kinds of phrases, like 'give him an inch and he'll take a mile' I heard Joey Barton the other day talking about 'doing the hard yards'.
Absolutely. Not to mention the fact that all the markings on the pitch are in yards. Nobody I know measures their height in metres or their weight in kg, or works out the km per litre their car does!

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The measurements on a football pitch are still based on yards; eg 6 yard box, 18 yard box, players need to retreat 10 yards etc.
Yes true football pitch has definitely survived the switch to metric :) .

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably been said already but when something innocuous happens and the comms says "Well, VAR are having a look at it..."

Oh no they don't !

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

True, but I think what's really happening there is that they are listening to the conversation in the VAR room that is plebs aren't allowed to hear on TV, never mind the poor suckers in the ground.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Johnny on the spot. Used in any championship game to describe any goal scored from a rebound

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ha ha! Add "Get rid of it" to your list and you've got my match repertoire. This current fad of playing out from the back (correctly called "fannying around", really encourages all these.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One that boils my pizzz is “Trent”

A funny one is “half a yard”… who even uses full yards as a measure let alone half ones ;)
100% agreed on the Trent BS!!!
It's ****ing nauseating and borderline fanboy stuff!
Were I co-commentator, I'd have to copy the trend for every person involved in any given game!
Imagine how confusing and annoying it would be... Steve passes to Dan, who knocks it back to Andros, he sends a long diagonal forward to Harry, who slides Jed in for a goal, Joe gets fingers to it, but is unable to keep the ball out of the net.
We now await confirmation from Paul, Derek and Chris on VAR duties, that there were no infringements in the build up!

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
100% agreed on the Trent BS!!!
It's ****ing nauseating and borderline fanboy stuff!
Were I co-commentator, I'd have to copy the trend for every person involved in any given game!
Imagine how confusing and annoying it would be... Steve passes to Dan, who knocks it back to Andros, he sends a long diagonal forward to Harry, who slides Jed in for a goal, Joe gets fingers to it, but is unable to keep the ball out of the net.
We now await confirmation from Paul, Derek and Chris on VAR duties, that there were no infringements in the build up!
Ye half a yard is a confusing one!

Lost half a yard of pace. Like that's a measure of pace.

Did you know that Verstappen can drive 25 metres faster than Hamilton

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The overseas managers seem obsessed with 'moments' and this seems to have permeated into common football parlance, where time, period, etc used to be sufficient.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a great engine - he's not a ****ing car.

In and around {the box} {player} {my wife} - this phrase is overused and often incorrectly. How can you be in a player? Did he climb down his throat?

Let's hear what {name of a crap ex-ref} has to say.

A game of 2 halves.

"Look" at the start of every sentence by someone they're interviewing winds me up. Not just footy though - I think the entire England cricket team have had media training to talk like this. Jonny Bairstow is a bugger for it.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a great engine - he's not a ****ing car.

In and around {the box} {player} {my wife} - this phrase is overused and often incorrectly. How can you be in a player? Did he climb down his throat?

Let's hear what {name of a crap ex-ref} has to say.

A game of 2 halves.

"Look" at the start of every sentence by someone they're interviewing winds me up. Not just footy though - I think the entire England cricket team have had media training to talk like this. Jonny Bairstow is a bugger for it.
Nearly every Australian starts their sentences with “Look”. Bloody annoying once you’ve noticed it. Mind you, Australians are bloody annoying. :tearsofjoy:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"And it's live!" Martin Tyler never used to say that, then suddenly it became his catchphrase.

Player of the Match. Overnight that became a thing across the media.

Pretty much anything Peter Drury says. He wants to be a poet rather than a commentator.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% agreed on the Trent BS!!! It's ****ing nauseating and borderline fanboy stuff!
I think the Trent thing is as much as anything because they can't be bothered to say a hyphenated surname with 6 syllables in it! Commentators'll love it when the kids of broken marriages get together with other kids of broken marriages, and they themselves have kids. "Jackson-Williams-Parker-Nicolson, finds Coleman-McCarthy-Pritchard-Smith. Lovely switched pass out to Woodward-Richardson-Newman-Marshall on the wing!"

Back
Top Bottom