Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The OMFG you beauties Man City verdict thread

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough. Let’s hope he has them on his side as they played for him today

It’s a results game and if he gets results even if the tactics are basic then he will stay. We are certainly supporting our breaks with more pace and purpose including midfield drive .

Can’t call us boring this season!

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon that's the only second time in our history we've beaten the reigning European champions. The previous instance was in August 1981 and Mick Matthews' netting the only goal vs Liverpool! What a day, and in classic Wolves fashion just when it seemed so unexpected.

Every single one of the starting Xi gave a really strong performance and, unlike many other games to date, the subs were completely logical and helped the team get over the line.

Last edited:

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take a a step back and look at how many chances they actually created,and how many times they pulled us apart, and you'll see just how well we did.Haaland barely got a sniff,and their goal was a wonder strike from a free kick.

We played City the only way we really could,and scored from the only 2 chances we created, we can't ask for any more than that, and after the way they've dismantled us in their last 2 games at Molineux I'll take that all day.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cancel the celebrations and optimism everyone! Doom and gloom have spoken.

Stop making **** up. What a stupid thing to come out with. Just replying to another poster who felt like having a pop at people based on one performance. Never said at all not to celebrate or enjoy the win and great performance. Just stating facts. Our results have been terrible, performances have been bad so far.

I still dont rate GON. He pushes the blame on everyone else when we lose, and when he actually gets it right he is quick to praise himself. If we dont back up this win it will be worth nothing to us if we carry on not being able to not beat the likes of Ipswich reserves, Palace or Luton.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently it's dying out. No-one is being called Gary any more. I blame Glitter.

The Producer of Walking Dead and the new Star Trek is called Paul Gadd, thats a name you would seriously consider having to change

Madmalc

Reaction score
As brilliant a performance as this was (from what I've heard plus the obvious scoreline), GON should rightly be praised however I don't quite understand the people asking for apologies. Yes we were brilliant today, but that doesn't excuse many of the pathetic performances we've already had to endure under the same man this season. We could very well go on to lose the next 5, or we could kick on, but to ask for apologies now for GON seems a bit early. Obviously hoping for us to kick on so lets see how things go!
I agree but it's not GON ever since we got into the Premier League we've played great against the top clubs and poorly against the lower clubs.
I think it comes down to being a shop window for a certain agent's clients.
Villa being a local Derby and Villa being the club of the Prince of Wales should see the shop window players put in a performance again.
Bournemouth away is the real test, will the shop window players turn up for the coach?
If they do we'll avoid relegation.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great performance and one of the most unexpected for years.

3-4-3 is v clearly the way to go against most of the top-half sides so pleased to see GON going with it today and hope it stays. A low block with deep-lying midfielders but counter aggressively suits nearly all our players and makes it v difficult for teams to play through us. Two-thirds of the goals we’ve conceded this season have been where we’ve been too open defensively and we just don’t concede most of those in a 3-4-3 imo (e. g. Varane against United, Robertson against Liverpool, most of the the Brighton goals).

Both Seemed and RAN are much better as wing-backs imo. Toti is solid in a three and Dawson and Kilman look more comfortable in a deeper defensive line where they’re dragged out of position less. Neto, Hwang and Cunha all looked great on the counter today. Lemina and Gomes have the game and mobility to do fine as a central two. Here’s hoping GON can find a settled system and style and channel his inner Nuno.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly. Shows how much we've missed Neto, now he is fully back ... and could well be improving from where he left off.

That was a match where every player gave the proverbial 110%. Minimal switching off. No enforced errors. If that could be the standard for every match, we'll be fine. Not sure that Neto, Hwang, CUnha, Gomes etc can keep that level of almost superhuman effort up every week, though!
That's the problem this match was a shop window.
Those clubs outside the top 6 aren't.
It's been the problem since we were promoted to the Premier league.
Hopefully Fosun have spotted the pattern and this Summer was the reset.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I reckon that's the only second time in our history we've beaten the reigning European champions. The previous instance was in August 1981 and Mick Matthews' netting the only goal vs Liverpool! What a day, and in classic Wolves fashion just when it seemed so unexpected.

Every single one of the starting Xi gave a really strong performance and, unlike many other games to date, the subs were completely logical and helped the team get over the line.
We did beat Trees twice in 1980 including at Wembley!

Madmalc

Reaction score
I have been highly critical of GON but today he got it spot on, and the players clearly were playing for him. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but that was a great performance. I forecast the win, as we have a habit of turning up for the big boys. Need to build on that v Villa, who put 6 past Brighton today. The only way from here is up --- if we can do this to City, we can do it to anybody, it just needs the 100% application we saw today. Now gonna have a few beers, it's my 75th birthday! Come on me babbies!!!!
Shop window players since a certain agent became heavily involved.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no ****ing chance!

he was a loser yesterday and he’ll be a loser tomorrow… the sooner GON is managing Rushall Olympic the better!

one swallow doesn’t make a summer
There’s a rumour going round that Rushall Olympic want Pep Guardiola and GO could be the next manager at the Etihad after todays result! :)

Madmalc

Reaction score
Spot on. Happy for 0'Nil but far from convinced that was us turning the corner. He'll continue to have my support at matches, but that's as far as it goes.
I think he'll turn you around in the next 3 years.

Madmalc

Reaction score
I've been very critical of O'Neil and still don't think he's the man for the job, but I was impressed with what we did today. This wasn't just a low block performance - yes, we stood off Man City but we also compacted the game where possible. The weird triangle with Joao Gomes, Kilman and Semedo got a bit predictable, but we stuck to our game plan well, defended resolutely and had attacking threat on the occasional sojourns out of our own half. Man City had all the possession and attempts at goal, but whilst it had smash-and-grab elements I didn't see a City equaliser coming. As convincing as the scoreline was the sight of O'Neil constantly organising the backline and the embrace with Lemina at the end - if it's a stay of execution then he's earned it, and if it's more than that then happy days.
It's not GON, we've had shop window players since we won the championship.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from us but city were way below par. They lacked energy and creativity. I've not seen them like that before. For all their possession, sa had little to do. They only really had a couple of good chances. Also down to our defending but even so.
Why can't you give any credit to us?
Are you a Wolves supporter?
Okay the window shop players we have made the most of this shop window event.
They still beat Man City.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Great performance including the subs apart from Fabio. He reminds me of a lazy teenager on a paper round he can't deliver. Certainly not a number 9.
That's what a £35m price tag at age 18 did..
Think about it.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Agreed. Credit to Wolves but I thought City were well below par. Their tactics seemed to be little more than try and get Doku and Nunes to overload Semedo, and thankfully he stood up to the task really well.
For many games our right side of the defence has been the most fruitful pickings of our opponents.
They probably forgot the shop window effect on an inconsistent player who cost the best part of £30m.

Madmalc

Reaction score
One concern I’d have from what I see, and something I want the players to prove me wrong on, and that is… The players have managed to pump themselves up against our 3 biggest opponents this season: United, Scousers, City.

Want to see this level against more teams as it’s been lacking too often.
You've noticed the shop window players as well.

Madmalc

Reaction score
no ****ing chance!

he was a loser yesterday and he’ll be a loser tomorrow… the sooner GON is managing Rushall Olympic the better!

one swallow doesn’t make a summer
He'll be here 3 years if he keeps us up.
Get used to it.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not going off on one in fact I’m probably one of the only ones who hasn’t been. All I’ve read for weeks is poisonous hounding against pretty much every member of the club instead of supporting it

Support doesn't mean blind support and criticism on a message board doesnt have to translate to matchday. You can easily separate the two.

Things have been bad. Coming out with a bit of a hissy fit, told you so post trying to come across as a superfan and basically saying people who dared to not be happy shouldn't celebrate a win is just pathetic on your part.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stop making **** up. What a stupid thing to come out with. Just replying to another poster who felt like having a pop at people based on one performance. Never said at all not to celebrate or enjoy the win and great performance. Just stating facts. Our results have been terrible, performances have been bad so far.

I still dont rate GON. He pushes the blame on everyone else when we lose, and when he actually gets it right he is quick to praise himself. If we dont back up this win it will be worth nothing to us if we carry on not being able to not beat the likes of Ipswich reserves, Palace or Luton.
while i agree re GON you have to enjoy the moment.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No

Not strictly correct. October 17 1957 we beat Real Madrid 3-2 in a floodlit friendly at Molineux. They played their full team including Puskas, Gento etc and we played ours. They won the first 5 editions of the European Cup, beginning in 1955.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superb win. A perfect response to a lot of the justified criticism this week. Deservedly beating the European champions shows the real ability in the team. Up to the coach to get them performing consistently. Got it bang on today, kept the Norwegian guy quiet and exposed their weak link all game (the Dutch guy at left back).

Thought Molineux was at its noisy, vicious best today too. Thanks Matheus, you snakey ****.

Can’t wait for MOTD to tell us how bad City were…
You were disappointed then. MOTD gave us lavish praise!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As brilliant a performance as this was (from what I've heard plus the obvious scoreline), GON should rightly be praised however I don't quite understand the people asking for apologies. Yes we were brilliant today, but that doesn't excuse many of the pathetic performances we've already had to endure under the same man this season. We could very well go on to lose the next 5, or we could kick on, but to ask for apologies now for GON seems a bit early. Obviously hoping for us to kick on so lets see how things go!
One swallow…………..

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but it's not GON ever since we got into the Premier League we've played great against the top clubs and poorly against the lower clubs.
I think it comes down to being a shop window for a certain agent's clients.
Villa being a local Derby and Villa being the club of the Prince of Wales should see the shop window players put in a performance again.
Bournemouth away is the real test, will the shop window players turn up for the coach?
If they do we'll avoid relegation.
Too much truth being spoken here.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing Cunha down the middle of a front three just doesn’t work. If everybody on Twitter can see it, why can’t the manager see it?

DJW

Reaction score
One of the most pleasing things about the game, after the result obviously, was the sheer amount of effort, determination and focus the players put in today. After hearing rumours they weren't happy with GON, I certainly didn't see any evidence of that.
I've never left a ground feeling so exhausted, I could barely breath at the end. I've had some very serious health issues recently but I just can't stop getting carried away with the tremendous atmosphere even though it could do for me
COYW!

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really interesting, perhaps a bit too honest and open even. Within the first 30 seconds he inadvertently points out his own biggest weakness, which is countering tactical changes in game, and his strength....if the opposition line up and play as expected we can deal with it.

Fair play, he really got everything spot on yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom