Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The oddity of Journalists

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I picked up a book at my local bookshop this morning called England Football: The Biography by Paul Hayward. It looked an interesting book until I leafed through the index (always how I judge a book). Surely Wolves would warrant some mentions, I thought to myself, not a whisper (though Billy Wright does). I did notice that Villa were mentioned but that was it as far as the West Midlands were concerned. Nottingham Forest, the great over achievers of English club football in Europe, ignored. I browsed a little further through the index, both Manchester clubs warranted but no mention of Liverpool or Everton. I then checked for London clubs of whom 5 were entered/discussed. The traditional two, the North London rivals I would have anticipated are included but Chelsea, West Ham United and QPR? Really, what have they contributed to the story of English football? Moore, Peters and Hurst are probably good enough reason to include West Ham. Chelsea the home of dirty Russian money? QPR, a reasonably decent team in the late 1980's, hardly cause for inclusion. The book remained on the shelf.

I've since discovered that Paul Hayward is the Chief Sports Writer at the Telegraph, not a paper I get, nor am likely to get in the future, if this is the quality of what they produce.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I picked up a book at my local bookshop this morning called England Football: The Biography by Paul Hayward. It looked an interesting book until I leafed through the index (always how I judge a book). Surely Wolves would warrant some mentions, I thought to myself, not a whisper (though Billy Wright does). I did notice that Villa were mentioned but that was it as far as the West Midlands were concerned. Nottingham Forest, the great over achievers of English club football in Europe, ignored. I browsed a little further through the index, both Manchester clubs warranted but no mention of Liverpool or Everton. I then checked for London clubs of whom 5 were entered/discussed. The traditional two, the North London rivals I would have anticipated are included but Chelsea, West Ham United and QPR? Really, what have they contributed to the story of English football? Moore, Peters and Hurst are probably good enough reason to include West Ham. Chelsea the home of dirty Russian money? QPR, a reasonably decent team in the late 1980's, hardly cause for inclusion. The book remained on the shelf.

I've since discovered that Paul Hayward is the Chief Sports Writer at the Telegraph, not a paper I get, nor am likely to get in the future, if this is the quality of what they produce.
Anything written by The Sun, Daily Heil (mail), The Telegraph and the Daily Express is avoid at all costs unless you want your IQ halved after less than a paragraph.

Edit : just like the poster above me.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anything written by The Sun, Daily Heil (mail), The Telegraph and the Daily Express is avoid at all costs unless you want your IQ halved after less than a paragraph.

Edit : just like the poster above me.

The mail and the sun are the two most circulated paid-for newspapers in the country and mail online has over 22 million unique visitors a month.

You’re obviously highly intelligent but also maybe rather arrogant to infer all those people reading the press you mention may have an inferior IQ to yourself, Neil. Tell me what is it you do? Rocket scientist? Brain surgeon? Nuclear physicist?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s his book and surely his choice what he puts in it
Surely a book claiming to be the Biography of English Football, should deal with the game of football as it evolved and developed in England. Central to that is the League and later as continued The Premiership. No one is seeking to deny him his opinions but omitting clubs with significant achievements be they Wolves or Forest or Liverpool. Ignoring the divisions that make up the League is hardly worth calling a biography of the Engliish game.

Reactions: Ian

optimuswolf

Reaction score
The mail and the sun are the two most circulated paid-for newspapers in the country and mail online has over 22 million unique visitors a month.

You’re obviously highly intelligent but also maybe rather arrogant to infer all those people reading the press you mention may have an inferior IQ to yourself, Neil. Tell me what is it you do? Rocket scientist? Brain surgeon? Nuclear physicist?
Its easy to pick holes in each newspaper if we want to. For example Im alergic to jonathan liews shock jock writing in the guardian for instance, but I'm sure many smarter and more informed people than me read the guardian's sports articles.

The athletics does seem a cut above i just can't bring myself to pay for it...

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely a book claiming to be the Biography of English Football, should deal with the game of football as it evolved and developed in England. Central to that is the League and later as continued The Premiership. No one is seeking to deny him his opinions but omitting clubs with significant achievements be they Wolves or Forest or Liverpool. Ignoring the divisions that make up the League is hardly worth calling a biography of the Engliish game.

It's not the biography of English Football though, or the English Game, it's the biography of the England Team.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don’t you write your own book then you can put what you want in it just like this guy has?

It’s not your book and his literary output is not a public service. It’s his book and surely his choice what he puts in it? You also gonna moan you don’t like his choice of curtains at his home? ;)
Crikey, he only said there was trouble at Mill

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks for proving my point

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

To be honest Mighty Thor, most on-line stuff is having a BIG headline like say WBA win a match. when you click on it the story is back in 1980 the actual match they were talking about,, or the story goes on so long you forget what you were looking for,
must admit the pages from those brain washing newspapers were always handy for the little brick building up the garden back in the day..

and before you say it, yes i was all those, Rocket scientist, Brain surgeon, and Nuclear physicist, or did i just read that in the Mail,
PS 21.9 million of those were just looking at the pic's. LOL.

Last edited:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As Flump says above, it's a book about the England national team and doesn't touch much on club football, so you might be coming at it from the wrong angle. It's still not particularly good, and Hayward's writing style isn't exactly engaging, so I wouldn't recommend it anyway, but it's definitely not about individual clubs and their achievements.

I'd point you in the direction of anything by Jonathan Wilson if you're looking for good football reads. Lovely writing style, with a lot of emphasis on the 50s-80s in books Inverting The Pyramid (tactical evolutions) and Angels With Dirty Faces (Argentina). Not Wolves, but a better writer (and journalist).

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As Flump says above, it's a book about the England national team and doesn't touch much on club football, so you might be coming at it from the wrong angle. It's still not particularly good, and Hayward's writing style isn't exactly engaging, so I wouldn't recommend it anyway, but it's definitely not about individual clubs and their achievements.

I'd point you in the direction of anything by Jonathan Wilson if you're looking for good football reads. Lovely writing style, with a lot of emphasis on the 50s-80s in books Inverting The Pyramid (tactical evolutions) and Angels With Dirty Faces (Argentina). Not Wolves, but a better writer (and journalist).
Seems like the whole thing's gone wrong here when 'England Football' was read as 'English Football'.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score

You don't need to be a rocket scientist, brain surgeon or nuclear physicist to understand that the mail online having 22 million visitors per month is emblematic of the **** show this country has become.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just listen to Lopetegui's first interview for first hand evidence of how utterly useless journalists are

Back
Top Bottom