Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The "Nuno Out" Myth

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True. Why is criticism of Nuno not allowed?
No one is above criticism certainly. Whilst he has been excellent in his time here, he has sanctioned a long term situation where we have a squad with inadequate numbers/quality in mid field and strikers. This could be his Achilles heel. Chinese owners dont hang around if they are not happy. Only the bottom 3 teams have scored less than we have. In football what supporters think is more or less irrelevant.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While Wolfheart is a WUM, he ain't wrong in the fact that we are defensive and often boring to watch
I've not tuned into Wolves and this place in a while, largely in part because the football is boring and other issues, was at lakeside today and had a beer, thought I'd watch the match with a pal and both us were entirely bored in the same way we have been since the lockdown and probably was prior to that but at least we had the match day to offset the boredom.

We are just a dull side full of potentially great attacking players.

Nuno will evolve it though or if it then it's much akin to Pulis at Stoke in terms of an inability to move towards a more pleasing on the eye style of football.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is bang on. I've noticed that trend too.

All it does is undermine the fans who are rightfully questioning certain methods without being spoiled reactionary idiots.

Reactionary?

Or maybe they can see it sooner than people like you who bury their heads in the sand?

The man is limited. He is boring. He is stubborn. He has reached his limit.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reactionary?

Or maybe they can see it sooner than people like you who bury their heads in the sand?

Bury my head in the sand?

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of times on here I've criticised the midfield, or the way we approach games. Believe me, I know there are issues that need addressing.

But just because I don't want the manager replacing, doesn't mean I'm under some illusion that there aren't legitimate concerns from fans.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reactionary?

Because you seem such an expert in footballing matters, please explain in depth who you would replace him with and why?. I would like that in infinite detail please...i.e strategy, man management etc etc....Im all ears.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I reading that right?????????

D

Deleted member 8913

Allardyce -> Nuno
Good to know you were just being ironic.

nobody thinks Sam alkardyce is better than Nuno.. he has been a manager in England 30 years and his highest finish and best win percentage is.,?

there are managers better than Nuno for sure but none desperate to join wolves and big Sam is not one anyways.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Good to know you were just being ironic.

nobody thinks Sam alkardyce is better than Nuno.. he has been a manager in England 30 years and his highest finish and best win percentage is.,?

there are managers better than Nuno for sure but none desperate to join wolves and big Sam is not one anyways.
Sam is a well-known wolves fan and is more pragmatic than given credit for. But he will never be our manager so its a moot point.
Nuno has done much better over the past two seasons than anyone would have thought.
He has set his own bar.
But he is in unchartered waters right now. The longest he has managed a team before is 2 years. The was kicked out of Valencia for being too defensive and playing boring football despite a good league finish.
He doesn't do attacking football.
Now he has to develop a new playing style whilst in the middle of a playing season in the middle of a pan demic with his best striker injured.
I desperately hope he rises to the occasion. I cant imagine wolves without him now. He has become our identity.
But the next few months will prove whether he has what it takes or whether he is out of his depth.
Managers live by their results and Wolves are bigger than one man.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Time for you lot to put your **** rags away and see the big ****ing picture Yet?
I really can't be bothered to go through all the inaccuracies in your previous post so I'll just pick one.

last season wasn’t a good season on and off the pitch. The way we ended showed that what made the players perform wasn’t Nuno, it was Wolves fans. As soon as covid came around we looked dispondent, slow, disinterested and scared.

This despondent, slow, disinterested and scared team got us within 90 seconds and one Mike Dean ridiculous penalty decision of a shoot out with Chelsea for 4th in the Premier League.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really can't be bothered to go through all the inaccuracies in your previous post so I'll just pick one.

This despondent, slow, disinterested and scared team got us within 90 seconds and one Mike Dean ridiculous penalty decision of a shoot out with Chelsea for 4th in the Premier League.
So we didn’t bottle the games against Burnley and Sheffield UTD after lockdown because Nuno got it wrong by yet again not being able to deal with the long ball and sitting deep AGAIN......

Mike dean, clearly doesn’t like us but we should be winning games like that and creating more chances or even being more clinical in the key moments as burnley are not even close to the level of ability in ours. We were lucky that wood missed a near open goal before it, so can we all stop pretending like Burnley hadn’t almost scored in that game and Mike dean gave them a lifeline in a game where they created nothing.

also he got it completely wrong against Arsenal and Chelsea..... we still had European football in our own hands going into the Chelsea game and look how they played....

Our squad seem to bottle it in the bigger games now, if we also add the fa cup semi final to the mix.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people on here seem to be making the implicit assumption that our success in the last three years was predetermined and always going to happen, and that Nuno is somehow incidental to this and has actually held us back from more success.

I happen to believe the opposite, I think our success has fundamentally been down to Nuno. It is difficult to underestimate the magnitude of the achievement of taking a team 15th in the Championship and establishing them in the Premier League to the point where in our 3rd season back anything less than a top ten finish would be seen as a massive disappointment. The league is littered with the corpses of clubs who tried to buy their way to the top and failed, QPR, Portsmouth, Leeds (back but a shadow of what they were 20 years ago) It isn't about how much you have, it's how you use it that matters and Nuno used it brilliantly in 17/18 to create a team and style the likes of which the Championship hadn't seen before, against all of the perceived wisdom on how to play in the Championship.

Then in his first Premier League season he had the tactical nous to realise when the same tactics were no longer working so changed it from essentially a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 and we went toe to toe with the top teams in the country and achieved the feat of European football in our first season back.

Then again last season we avoided the dreaded 'second season syndrome' and coped with a herculean season before running out of steam. At one point around Christmas we were performing at a level that was only bettered by Liverpool. We came within a few unlucky moments and contentious decisions of Champions League football where, again, the perceived wisdom was that we would struggle to cope. It fizzled out in the end because we were still a newly promoted club performing way above expectations. This season is a bit hit and miss but it's a strange one all round (the champions losing 7-2) but we are developing players and a team to break into the top 4 and that doesn't come quick or easy. We can't just go and buy a champions league team.

So what exactly is it that makes people think we need a change? Has he not earned a bit of trust and faith to see us to the next stage?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we didn’t bottle the games against Burnley and Sheffield UTD after lockdown because Nuno got it wrong by yet again not being able to deal with the long ball and sitting deep AGAIN......

Mike dean, clearly doesn’t like us but we should be winning games like that and creating more chances or even being more clinical in the key moments as burnley are not even close to the level of ability in ours. We were lucky that wood missed a near open goal before it, so can we all stop pretending like Burnley hadn’t almost scored in that game and Mike dean gave them a lifeline in a game where they created nothing.

also he got it completely wrong against Arsenal and Chelsea..... we still had European football in our own hands going into the Chelsea game and look how they played....

Our squad seem to bottle it in the bigger games now, if we also add the fa cup semi final to the mix.
Hmmm.... You say that you played to Academy level. Not good enough and bombed out by Nuno perchance? Or friends of yours treated that way?
The extent to which you can find a negative about him in anything but find precious little, if any, positive feels rather like a personal vendetta....

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it's the Wolves fans who have made this team perform and not Nuno? That's weird. Why didn't the Wolves fans start making our team perform much earlier? We only seemed to start being successful after Nuno arrived. It must be a coincidence.
I thought this.

I think we should really all be giving ourselves a good thrashing having taken 40 years to realise we had these superpowers and all of the crap we've endured down the years hasn't been down to poor management, poor running of the club or poor players - it's been us and our fault all along

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This >

After 13 games we are 1 point better off than same time last season

After 13 games Liverpool are 9 points worse off than same time last season
Not a good time for pant wetters in Liverpool. Klopp OUT!!!

After 12 games City are 5 points worse off than same time last season.
Pep OUT!!
:tearsofjoy:

After 13 games Leicester are 5 points worse off than same time last season.
Rodgers and OUT!!
:laughing:

After 13 games Chelski are 4 points worse off than same time last season.
Lampard OUT!!

yes, this time last year we were 5th, but those are the teams that were above us, and we have made ground against all of them.

"It's the season
Love and understanding
Merry Christmas everyone"

Last edited:

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

You write 'AGAIN' as though it happens all the time. And yet, generally speaking, in fact, 15 times out of 17 games in the Premier League where we took the lead last season we won the game. So 15 times out of 17 we didn't bottle it. In the other 2 games we held out for a draw. Not really much evidence that we bottle the bigger games. Chelsea was going pretty much to plan until 2 mad minutes before half time. If Arsenal was a bigger game then presumably Tuesday was also and we coped pretty well in difficult circumstances.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mike dean, clearly doesn’t like us but we should be winning games like that and creating more chances or even being more clinical in the key moments as burnley are not even close to the level of ability in ours.

You write 'AGAIN' as though it happens all the time. And yet, generally speaking, in fact, 15 times out of 17 games in the Premier League where we took the lead last season we won the game. So 15 times out of 17 we didn't bottle it. In the other 2 games we held out for a draw. Not really much evidence that we bottle the bigger games. Chelsea was going pretty much to plan until 2 mad minutes before half time. If Arsenal was a bigger game then presumably Tuesday was also and we coped pretty well in difficult circumstances.
We as a fan base complain or agree that nearly every game going into the last 10 mins we sit too far back and invite pressure, so I feel my again comment stands.

I was talking about Arsenal last season..... where we lost 2:0.

the biggest games we have bottled, fa cup semi, we didn’t play after the missed Raul pen in the europa it was like a training session for them, then the Burnley, Arsenal and Chelsea games last season.

We have done so well, but we need to kick on and improve if we want to go to the next level.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't let facts get in the way of someone's agenda, lol...

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We as a fan base complain or agree that nearly every game going into the last 10 mins we sit too far back and invite pressure, so I feel my again comment stands.

I was talking about Arsenal last season..... where we lost 2:0.

the biggest games we have bottled, fa cup semi, we didn’t play after the missed Raul pen in the europa it was like a training session for them, then the Burnley, Arsenal and Chelsea games last season.

We have done so well, but we need to kick on and improve if we want to go to the next level.
I know you were talking about Arsenal last year. We didn't play well but hardly bottled it.

Don't think you can speak on behalf of the fan base. Certainly a large number including myself have divergent views to you. You talk about us bottling bigger games 'now' and then include the semi-final which was 2 seasons ago. Hardly an example of 'now'.

And you mention 'luck' in the Burnley game. I was under the impression that in your football world 'luck' didn't exist. Each team getting their due desserts based on goals actually scored.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmmm.... You say that you played to Academy level. Not good enough and bombed out by Nuno perchance? Or friends of yours treated that way?
The extent to which you can find a negative about him in anything but find precious little, if any, positive feels rather like a personal vendetta....
No, I wasn’t bombed out by nuno or deemed not good enough as I snapped my ACL and LCL when getting taken out when claiming a cross and had to retire at 17 over 20 years ago, the pain of doing that at 16 was horrific and took a long time to walk unaided.

I was at my club for 5 years, where I played u18’s at 16 and had 1 session with my clubs first team keepers and coaches a week (was the only academy keeper to do this).

As you want to create a reason for an agenda.....

I haven’t lived in Wolverhampton since I was 5

none of my family or friends have worked or played at any standard for wolves but have at blues and Coventry.

And Claiming I don’t see positives;

i have praised the awesome play of Neto, waxed lyrical about Silva, podence, otosawie and said how quality Jonny is and how crucial he is on many occasions......

using the phrase “personal vendetta” implies that I am not allowed to have negative opinions like others on; samedo and the decline in performances since last season......

I simply want to see improvement like many fans and there is nothing wrong with that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, I wasn’t bombed out by nuno or deemed not good enough as I snapped my ACL and LCL when getting taken out when claiming a cross and had to retire at 17 over 20 years ago, the pain of doing that at 16 was horrific and took a long time to walk unaided.

I was at my club for 5 years, where I played u18’s at 16 and had 1 session with my clubs first team keepers and coaches a week (was the only academy keeper to do this).

As you want to create a reason for an agenda.....

I haven’t lived in Wolverhampton since I was 5

none of my family or friends have worked or played at any standard for wolves but have at blues and Coventry.

And Claiming I don’t see positives;

i have praised the awesome play of Neto, waxed lyrical about Silva, podence, otosawie and said how quality Jonny is and how crucial he is on many occasions......

using the phrase “personal vendetta” implies that I am not allowed to have negative opinions like others on; samedo and the decline in performances since last season......

I simply want to see improvement like many fans and there is nothing wrong with that.
Re your first para: ouch, genuinely sorry to hear that. Are you physically ok, albeit perhaps not up to professional sport, now? Having had my own health issues l hope so.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you were talking about Arsenal last year. We didn't play well but hardly bottled it.

Don't think you can speak on behalf of the fan base. Certainly a large number including myself have divergent views to you. You talk about us bottling bigger games 'now' and then include the semi-final which was 2 seasons ago. Hardly an example of 'now'.

And you mention 'luck' in the Burnley game. I was under the impression that in your football world 'luck' didn't exist. Each team getting their due desserts based on goals actually scored.
If i implied I spoke to the fan base I am sorry, that is simply a bad choice of wording. But a lot of people do have those feelings and views.

runner, you clearly don’t agree with me, but It’s ok, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But i added Watford as a further case and point that under nuno we haven’t turned up or let crucial games slip away and that one was down to not starting Rui (who would have saved at least one of the goals) and the crazy substitutition of Jota who was the player who terrified them.

ok fine, I will re-word burnley as i am clearly never allowed to use the word luck again, am I allowed to say fortunate? haha (this is a joke and not meant to come across as rude)

Chris wood missed a simple chance that he would normally score as it was harder to miss than score for a player of his ability. But he got a second chance to correct the wrong of his basic error in skill and execution, I hope that is ok as a new description lol.

As I said in brackets above, the Burnley bit is in jest and not meant to come across as rude as I worry somethings get lost in translation on the internet.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your first para: ouch, genuinely sorry to hear that. Are you physically ok, albeit perhaps not up to professional sport, now? Having had my own health issues l hope so.
Thanks for asking, I am all good now. I am very lucky I had fantastic physios and a club who didn’t just bin me when they heard I was never going to be strong enough in the joint to go pro.
Strangely that knee is actually my good knee which is hilarious

As an FYI to all, I not one of those who blames injury for not making it or thinks I would have succeeded at the top level as catching while diving wasn’t my strength but i got away with it by having very strong hands and wrists to deflect the ball away. I think that would have been caught out in the senior game so probs would have played a higher level of non league.

i threw my academy playing out there as people have been throwing names like moron and “clearly never never played the game” statements to people who aren’t happy or disagree about nuno and the style of play, to try and make a difference of view look like the other person was thick or knew nothing.

Why can’t we just have civil discussion?

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If i implied I spoke to the fan base I am sorry, that is simply a bad choice of wording. But a lot of people do have those feelings and views.

runner, you clearly don’t agree with me, but It’s ok, we are all entitled to our own opinions. But i added Watford as a further case and point that under nuno we haven’t turned up or let crucial games slip away and that one was down to not starting Rui (who would have saved at least one of the goals) and the crazy substitutition of Jota who was the player who terrified them.

ok fine, I will re-word burnley as i am clearly never allowed to use the word luck again, am I allowed to say fortunate? haha (this is a joke and not meant to come across as rude)

Chris wood missed a simple chance that he would normally score as it was harder to miss than score for a player of his ability. But he got a second chance to correct the wrong of his basic error in skill and execution, I hope that is ok as a new description lol.

As I said in brackets above, the Burnley bit is in jest and not meant to come across as rude as I worry somethings get lost in translation on the internet.
You're quite right, I don't agree with you and I think you've painted yourself into a bit of a corner with regard to the outcome of football matches never being about luck or good fortune however you want to say it.

The Watford result and the reasons for it is again your opinion. I would argue that the Man U quarter final was as big a game and we demonstrably turned up for that one. What isn't opinion is the stat that when we take the lead, even though we may sit back towards the end of the game, we almost always win. So Nuno's tactics in this regard are successful pretty well all of the time.

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're quite right, I don't agree with you and I think you've painted yourself into a bit of a corner with regard to the outcome of football matches never being about luck or good fortune however you want to say it.

The Watford result and the reasons for it is again your opinion. I would argue that the Man U quarter final was as big a game and we demonstrably turned up for that one. What isn't opinion is the stat that when we take the lead, even though we may sit back towards the end of the game, we almost always win. So Nuno's tactics in this regard are successful pretty well all of the time.
Cool, so we accept we don’t see eye to eye.

i just don’t believe “luck” is the sole/lone factor for a result. I think there is just more to it than luck, i believe you can score a “lucky” goal or with deflections or a scuff guzzumping the keeper when all clean strikes were saved, but i just don’t believe you can call a final result lucky as there are enough moments in 90 minutes to influence the result. But again many will and many won’t agree with that view point.

You believe the opposite to me and we each allowed our own opinions.

dizzydonut

Groupie
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more - people on here living in past thinking we're still in league 1.

Fact is he's stubborn and boring and taking us backwards.

Giving long term deals to Coady, Kilman, Semedo and Boly? Wow

Gotta deal with that defence for another 5 years - Jesus christ
It’s unlike you to jump in on a conversation like this, you’re normally so supportive.

Nivada

Reaction score
Cool, so we accept we don’t see eye to eye.

i just don’t believe “luck” is the sole/lone factor for a result. I think there is just more to it than luck, i believe you can score a “lucky” goal or with deflections or a scuff guzzumping the keeper when all clean strikes were saved, but i just don’t believe you can call a final result lucky as there are enough moments in 90 minutes to influence the result. But again many will and many won’t agree with that view point.

You believe the opposite to me and we each allowed our own opinions.
Bloody hell are you a winner or not?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon some of these idiots on here who seem to have an agenda against Nuno probably wanted lambert to keep his job and though he was right not to pick Saiss.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people on here seem to be making the implicit assumption that our success in the last three years was predetermined and always going to happen, and that Nuno is somehow incidental to this and has actually held us back from more success.

I happen to believe the opposite, I think our success has fundamentally been down to Nuno. It is difficult to underestimate the magnitude of the achievement of taking a team 15th in the Championship and establishing them in the Premier League to the point where in our 3rd season back anything less than a top ten finish would be seen as a massive disappointment. The league is littered with the corpses of clubs who tried to buy their way to the top and failed, QPR, Portsmouth, Leeds (back but a shadow of what they were 20 years ago) It isn't about how much you have, it's how you use it that matters and Nuno used it brilliantly in 17/18 to create a team and style the likes of which the Championship hadn't seen before, against all of the perceived wisdom on how to play in the Championship.

Then in his first Premier League season he had the tactical nous to realise when the same tactics were no longer working so changed it from essentially a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 and we went toe to toe with the top teams in the country and achieved the feat of European football in our first season back.

Then again last season we avoided the dreaded 'second season syndrome' and coped with a herculean season before running out of steam. At one point around Christmas we were performing at a level that was only bettered by Liverpool. We came within a few unlucky moments and contentious decisions of Champions League football where, again, the perceived wisdom was that we would struggle to cope. It fizzled out in the end because we were still a newly promoted club performing way above expectations. This season is a bit hit and miss but it's a strange one all round (the champions losing 7-2) but we are developing players and a team to break into the top 4 and that doesn't come quick or easy. We can't just go and buy a champions league team.

So what exactly is it that makes people think we need a change? Has he not earned a bit of trust and faith to see us to the next stage?
Nice piece, I would love to buy you a pint or two.:)

Last edited:

Leamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell are you a winner or not?
I would say on the pitch I was a blood and guts win at all costs guy, but in life when talking footy or at work I am more of a “each person is entitled to an opinion” type of guy, so let’s have a chat about it haha

and if when talking to someone and the discussion is just going nowhere, cool just be respectful, accept they have a view point different to mine and occasionally apologise for bad choices of words as like most I am not perfect.

To me talking sport should be an open forum for people to share opinions and have chats with fellow fans, not a place where only positive vibes and one view point is allowed. We aren’t all going to see eye to eye, that’s just life.

just think with the **** storm of COVID and life being a challenge in general is it worth having an aneurysm because you disagree with someone on the internet on their opinion of football.

could be worse, we could support the Tesco lot down the road hahaha

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom