Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The new manager is inheriting someone else's team, if we stay up who's being let go

Who will stay if we go down?

• Ohara

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Hennesey

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Fletcher

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Doyle

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Johnson

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Ebanks

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Elokobi

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Hunt

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big IF at the mo I realize but let's pretend.....

Assuming we stay up will the new manager have a clear out of Mick players who, apparently put a shift in but lack premiership level talent like Edwards, Wardinho, Karl Henry, Stearman, Elokobi, Hunt, Kightly, SEB?

Let the mauling commence.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Was thinking more immediate myself like how is a new manager going to cope with "Mick's Men"

As soon as he changes something they don't like or challenges they way things are done he'll get kick back and the mutterings behind his back, "Mick wouldn't have done it that way" or "I prefer the Gaffer to him".

Footballers are creatures of habit and have a certain loyalty to their leaders. It's going to be hard following a man manager like McCarthy.

D

Dewsburywolf

Assuming we stay up will the new manager have a clear out of Mick players who, apparently put a shift in but lack premiership level talent like Edwards, Wardinho, Karl Henry, Stearman, Elokobi, Hunt, Kightly, SEB?

Let the mauling commence.

Edwards, Ward, Henry & Kightly do have talent, Ebanks-Blake is a bit hit & miss. Agree on Stearman & Elokobi but Hunt seems to have lost it a little

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Impossible to predict. Whoever gets with the new 'plan' quickest is more likely to feature in the longterm.

M

Mugwump

Edwards, Ward, Henry & Kightly do have talent, Ebanks-Blake is a bit hit & miss. Agree on Stearman & Elokobi but Hunt seems to have lost it a little

You forgot to put a full stop at the end of the last sentence . Correct grammar and punctuation please Dews.

Nero wolf

Reaction score
Regardless of manager..we lack quality central midfield and defence.
Those two areas need sorting out first and foremost and above everything else.
O´Hara and RoJo has been major disappointments.
We must continue to try and strengthen here..it is absolutely vital.
Another thing..we must upgrade on Karl Henry next transfer window.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are too many to replace, it would take years and cost too much money - plus Jez has already said the new manager has to work within our means. So who is not good enough? Let me start;

Hunt
Stearman
Berra
Elokobi
Vokes
SEB
Edwards
Craddock
Milijas
Hammill
Eggy

So there almost a dozen players there that either are not good enough for the prem or have yet to prove it. That is not looking at the likes of Ward, Foley, and Johnson who i would keep but replace in the side with better!

None of this is realistic, this is an impossible job. If we stay up with might see two or three moved on and replaced with better - Craig Gardiner probably will still come back to the midlands.

If you want radical change, then the only way that will happen is if we get relegated and we loose Hennersy, Fletcher, Doyle, Jarvis, Henry for the best part of £30m and the new man gets £20m to spend in the championship.

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its pretty straight forward for me, Edwards, SEB(as much as I love him), Elokobi, Hunt, Stearman (season loan where garenteed games at CH), Vokes. Leaves a pretty big hole in the squad though so this is assuming the board will actually back this manager

W

WasStefan

Egg
Edwards
Stearman
Elekobi
Vokes (already gone?)

Are the first five I think we would get rid of if a new manager takes over and if we stay up.

Followed by maybes of-

Hunt
Henry
Guedioura
Ebanks

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dorset DeWolf

The only players who i think we can safely write off as not being good enough for this level are:

Vokes - never shown anything, not even in the championship

Craddock - not that he's not good enough but his age means he should go

everyone else has either shown that they have something to offer at this level or have not been given sufficent chance yet

Ebanks Blake
Milijias
Edwards
Stearman
Hunt
Henry
Elokobi have all shown they can do well at this level

Not being given a sufficent chance applies to:
Eggy (although the early signs arent promising)
Ebanks Blake, a confidence player, needs a decent run in the side
Hammil

A

Apocalypse Now

The issue is as Cannock states, if we stay up it will be incremental change because we will get very little for the ones we want to let go, and I really can't see a wad of cash being made available to the new guy. The only possibility would be if we get very good offers for Fletcher (£15m) or Jarvis (£7m) and all the proceeds go back into the team.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the new man got 10 million if we stay up and sold fletcher for 15 ( which lets face it he will be gone ) and that went back into the team thats 25 million . I think if the new man was curbishley he would buy 4 or 5 very decent first team players for that .

L

luckyjim

Edwards, Ebanks-Blake, Henry, Elokobi, Foley, Vokes, The Egg, Stearman - we need a clear-out.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hennessey, Foley, Johnson, (Bassong- buy him), Zubar (if only he stops getting injured), O'Hara, Fletcher, Doyle and Jarvis are the key players capable of competing at Premiership level. The rest are in the mix and most could go without much harm done - to be replaced by a few higher quality players.

I still rate Stearman despite the grief he gets on here and Kightly hopefully can build on his post injury form.. Ward has vastly improved but needs proper competition at LB. Guedioura if carefully nurtured is worth keeping on. Milijas sadly does not have the drive needed for a Premiership midfielder although with the right players around him could do a job for us.
Two new midfielders - the purchase of Bassong and another striker are the priorities for me.

E

Essex Wolf

Was thinking more immediate myself like how is a new manager going to cope with "Mick's Men"

As soon as he changes something they don't like or challenges they way things are done he'll get kick back and the mutterings behind his back, "Mick wouldn't have done it that way" or "I prefer the Gaffer to him".

Footballers are creatures of habit and have a certain loyalty to their leaders. It's going to be hard following a man manager like McCarthy.

Spot on and why the sackng may end up a case of too little too late.

The new manager may well succeed but time is against him and just a handful more games could make a massive difference.

As for the original question, I hope the new manager can see what it seemed Mick could not and those who get to play that are simply not good enough are shipped out ASAP.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we stay up players that we should be looking to move on are:

Elokobi
Hunt
Edwards
Ebanks
Craddock (due to his age)
Vokes

Stears still has the ability I feel but he has to play in his right position which is CB.

We need to be signing a PL standard LB & ward would be fine as a back up.

Then if we can keep Fletcher...we need a target man & a pacey striker.

A

andyc225

I don't think we've seen the best of Ned. A new gaffer would probably breathe life into him, along with giving him the run in the team he needs.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Craddock may be ready to call time on his playing days.

Elokobi, Ebanks-Blake and Stearman aren't up to it.

Henry should be replaced with better. If it means shipping him out then fine, but I just want him replaced in the starting XI.

I'd like Vokes back and with a pacy impact striker added the attacking options of Fletcher, Doyle, Vokes plus Mr. Pacy are varied and good enough.

Kightly and Hammill are both good options as impact subs if nothing else. Kightly needs easing back into the pace of the Premier League rather than just being thrown in as he was. Hammill's got talent, but needs honing slightly. Hunt has been well off the pace, but always was a good player, we shall see.

Would rather see Milijas replaced with someone like Gardner who's more dynamic and more of a goal threat.

We would need to sign Bassong permanently and also Sasa Papac who's one of the best left backs around and also a very accomplished centre half and can slot into midfield too.

We'll see how Guedioura does at Forest and how his fitness/sharpness hold up with a run of games under his belt.

I wouldn't look to sell Edwards, he's a useful option and always a goal threat. Sure he's not the most technically-gifted, but on his day he can put in a man-of-the-match performance and is versatile from the bench.

D

dazmanwolf

Any decent manager will give each player a clean slate and let them play their way into his team selection.

I think the loaned players will be given a chance too. Curbishly always had a thing for bringing the youth system players out,so maybe our academy will yield some regulars if he gets the job.

I think Hammill may get a run in the squad. We need some pace to get back and defend. Can't see making an impact though, but you never know.

J

johnybig32

I think VOkes should stay. I really think he has something to offer. More than SEB at the moment.

D

Dewolf

What people forget is that the new manager will have no money to spend. Wholesale changes would be unlikely.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easier to do a keep list.

Hennessey
Ward
Foley
Henry
Jarvis
Kightly (maybe)
Millijas (maybe)
Doyle
Fletcher.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How anyone can question Henry's ability after the last few games is beyond me. He and Fletcher are our two most important players.

We are a team that plays without the ball 60% of the time, and Karl Henry is one of the best players without the ball in the Premier League. The way he eats up space and limits options for opponents is vital to how we play and we saw against Liverpool and WBA what happens when he's not there.

It'd be nice to be a team that kept the ball more often so perhaps Henry became less integral. But he'd have to be phased out over time and retained as a squad player. To sell him would be absolute lunacy.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would desperately need to sell off and get some funds for sub Championship players who don't have the quality to play at this level week in and week out. Players I would definitely get rid of:

Ward
Foley
Zubar
Stearman
Craddock
Edwards
Ebanks-Blake
Guedioura
Hunt
Elokobi

If we want to progress there are many players that we need to get rid of and many positions we need to strengthen, Mick never done this which is why we are still struggling at the bottom.......

Nero wolf

Reaction score
We do not need to get rid of a third choice striker like SEB.
He is ample enough quality in that role for a lower mid Prem team.
We need quality..spine quality.
Henry isn´t cutting it..he is backup material..at best.
O´Hara..I am sorry..he isn´t cutting it.
I am prepared to give Johnson a second chance..he ain´t a bad player and will probably come into his own under a different manager than the lacklustre Barnsleyman..but we need to correct what needs to be corrected first.
Central midfield..the key in modern football.
I would spend the whole transfer kitty on two good transfers.
We will blossom from it.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am prepared to give Johnson a second chance..he ain´t a bad player and will probably come into his own under a different manager than the lacklustre Barnsleyman..but we need to correct what needs to be corrected first.
We will blossom from it.

Vokes has a lot more to offer then SEB imo so he could easily step up to be third choice.
Henry not cutting it? Are you serious, we have conceded 9 goals in the 3 games that he hasn't played, that says enough. After he got sent off against Villa there was only one winner. Teams walk through us when he isn't playing!
O'Hara hasn't performed but he has some sort of potential as we seen from his loan spell

Nero wolf

Reaction score
Vokes has a lot more to offer then SEB imo so he could easily step up to be third choice.
Henry not cutting it? Are you serious, we have conceded 9 goals in the 3 games that he hasn't played, that says enough. After he got sent off against Villa there was only one winner. Teams walk through us when he isn't playing!
O'Hara hasn't performed but he has some sort of potential as we seen from his loan spell

We need alot better quality deff mid.
Teams are walking through us on a temporary basis with Henry playing.
Frimpong should have been your revelation..imagine the things possible with a better quality player than good ole Karl.
Vokes should be sold.Never a Prem player..never will be.

M

macca

I love how people are getting rid of Eggert Jonsson already, he's had what? barely 90 mins of first team football?

Not saying he is good enough, but to be fair we just don't know yet.

Every player in the squad will have a chance to prove their worth now under a new manager and it's common at other clubs, fringe players might suddenly wake up and start playing.

Just look at what's gone on at Sunderland.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Penk Wolf

We will blossom from it.

What transfer kitty?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need alot better quality deff mid.
Teams are walking through us on a temporary basis with Henry playing.
Frimpong should have been your revelation..imagine the things possible with a better quality player than good ole Karl.
Vokes should be sold.Never a Prem player..never will be.

We look so much better with Henry in our side, we don't concede nearly as many goals....
And Frimpong wasn't really any better then Henry, he had a better shot on him yeah and offered a bit more going forward but his still young, not much of an improvement short term.
Vokes has never had a real chance in the Premiership like Ebanks has, Vokes hasn't started games regularly and had the chances Ebanks has had so to say that is a bit stupid......

Nero wolf

Reaction score
We look so much better with Henry in our side, we don't concede nearly as many goals....
And Frimpong wasn't really any better then Henry, he had a better shot on him yeah and offered a bit more going forward but his still young, not much of an improvement short term.
Vokes has never had a real chance in the Premiership like Ebanks has, Vokes hasn't started games regularly and had the chances Ebanks has had so to say that is a bit stupid......

Not at all..it takes just a glance or two to see that Vokes hasn´t got it.
Frimpong was miles better than Henry.
We were still playing crap with Henry(everpresent)in the starting eleven.How cool is that?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes,it is..I´ve seen enough of Eggy to last me a lifetime.
He is $$$$$ I´m afraid.

I did already have my suspicions when he was instantly dropped from the squad the next game.....

B

bridgnorthwolf

Ebanks-Blake is $$$$ing $$$$!

Vokes' contribution against Swansea showed he is a much better player and made a much more positive contribution to the team than SEB has all season.

O'Hara not cutting it? He's one of the few players with genuine Premier League class we've got. Due to various injury problems and being rushed back when he wasn't ready he's been off the pace in a few games, granted.

Henry shouldn't be any more than back-up, agree with that. Frimpong is different class, but out of our league as a permanent signing, although would be interesting to see if where he fits into Arsenal's squad once he returns from a second long-term injury, so maybe.....

But yeah, We are crying out for a Premier League quality defensive midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom