Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The MGW effect

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Early days perhaps but MGW suddenly appears to be hitting the back of the net in recent games. We all hope that Wolves avoid relegation this season. How will we react to that wonderful piece of business done earlier in the season if at the end of the season we fill the final relegation place and MGW performances are what save Forest from the drop.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we would probably be a bit better off had he stayed, he seemed to fit what we were trying to do. That said, no way we could knock back 35 million.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Early days perhaps but MGW suddenly appears to be hitting the back of the net in recent games. We all hope that Wolves avoid relegation this season. How will we react to that wonderful piece of business done earlier in the season if at the end of the season we fill the final relegation place and MGW performances are what save Forest from the drop.
More money for us if they stay up

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ll now never know how he’d have done here. Particularly under Lopetegui.

I still feel £25m was too much to turn down.

Had someone offered us offloading MGW for Nunes and Guedes I think we’d have snapped there arm off at the start of the season. Hindsight suggests this hasn’t exactly delivered fruit yet, but we’ve got to hope Lopetegui can sort them out.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question isn't should we have sold him, as he wasn't singing a new contract, so he had to go.

However the question should be, next time we have a highly tipped youngster. Should both the club and fans have a bit more patience until that player is fully developed, whilst making that youngster feeling at home and apart of the club.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question isn't should we have sold him, as he wasn't singing a new contract, so he had to go.

However the question should be, next time we have a highly tipped youngster. Should both the club and fans have a bit more patience until that player is fully developed, whilst making that youngster feeling at home and apart of the club.

I agree, though it is so difficult to predict how a player will turn out. Should we have shown more patience to Vallejo? Enobakhare? Cutrone? Sometimes we've wasted time, effort and money on players who weren't worth it. OK, it sounds like I'm disagreeing now, but so many highly tipped youngsters just aren't that good. The art is in those running the club to have good judgement and tell the real potential from the hype. If there really is potential, then absolutely, have patience. Fabio, for example, I think he was rushed in far too early, too much responsibility placed on him. And now it appears he's really developing how he should have done all along.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the club.

His embarrassing statement and the fact it was wrongly announced as a £42m deal seemed to make people not care.

He was pushing for a move. He was refusing to sign a contract with his boyhood club and decided to make a move to Forest.

The £25m that we've got, likely £30m with appearances, is about a fair deal because he's a very good player. However, **** him. Deserved the bad reception he got and obviously hope they go down.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the club.

His embarrassing statement and the fact it was wrongly announced as a £42m deal seemed to make people not care.

He was pushing for a move. He was refusing to sign a contract with his boyhood club and decided to make a move to Forest.

The £25m that we've got, likely £30m with appearances, is about a fair deal because he's a very good player. However, **** him. Deserved the bad reception he got and obviously hope they go down.
What was the embarrassing statement?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was the embarrassing statement?
From MGW, where he went on about how hard it was to leave, how he will watch out for 'our' results.

He can obviously do what he wants, but he decided to leave for Forest and effectively forced the move, so all the talk about how much he supposedly cares was not needed at all.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
From MGW, where he went on about how hard it was to leave, how he will watch out for 'our' results.

He can obviously do what he wants, but he decided to leave for Forest and effectively forced the move, so all the talk about how much he supposedly cares was not needed at all.
Oh yes I forgot that

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, though it is so difficult to predict how a player will turn out. Should we have shown more patience to Vallejo? Enobakhare? Cutrone? Sometimes we've wasted time, effort and money on players who weren't worth it. OK, it sounds like I'm disagreeing now, but so many highly tipped youngsters just aren't that good. The art is in those running the club to have good judgement and tell the real potential from the hype. If there really is potential, then absolutely, have patience. Fabio, for example, I think he was rushed in far too early, too much responsibility placed on him. And now it appears he's really developing how he should have done all along.

Agreed, altough Cutrone and Vallejo joined Wolves at the age MGW left Wolves, which is a part of the problem.

Because he was so ahead of the curve at 17, being far too good and fast tracked through our youth system. By the time he was 20 everyone thought he was a busted flush. He should have had earlier no pressure loans. Where Wolves fans were excited.

By the time he had had 2 successful loans, still very much ahead of the curve, the relationship was fractured.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So glad Guedes has started to look a decent player...... who we've traded MGW in for. Not necessarily the exact same player or position but both forwards. Shame MGW didn't really want to stay, a homegrown attacking player would've been great, but what could we do?

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more success he has the better as long as those fee add ons are realistic and we add at least £5m to the current £25m. I was sorry to see him go in a way but what's done is done. Forest and him are irrelevant to us. We have to do the business and get some wins on the board from late December onwards. The only way is up.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Had he signed a new contract there would have been no way that he would have been sold. I suspect that the damage was done when he was pulled back from loan at Swansea early then not played.

His OH's social media crap hardly helped though - l am less than surprised at reports that some Trees fans have already taken umbrage....

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens, selling him for £35m was a great bit of business.
Yes, probably. But Guedes was similar money and MGW is home grown (plus I really liked the look of him at Blades - I'm in Sheffield and Utd fans can't understand why we let him go, such was the level of his performances there) so maybe not as clear-cut as some might've assumed when that daft bid came in? It probably was too much to turn down though tbf.

Back
Top Bottom