Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Jota Money

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably to offset the costs when we start playing behind closed doors again. Surely that's at the back of their minds.
Quite possibly. May not like it, and it might not ‘feel’ or look good, but building cash reserves right now isn’t the worst idea in the world.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure Steve, but who says we’re skint??
The record shows we’re capable of paying almost £40m for an untried teenager, hardly the evidence of a club in financial distress!!
There may be prudent decisions being made in an unattractive financial environment where there’s a pandemic running wild in the world… and quite frankly, I would prefer prudence in those circumstances if it maintains the stability of the club and awaits more favourable times and terms!
It's maybe deals like Silva has us where we are, taking loans

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It's maybe deals like Silva has us where we are, taking loans
We are taking loans to cover operating costs, we have done it with the same bank for a few years. Fosun don't want to loan us any more money so we are running running like a lot of other clubs.

Soton, Leicester, Palace & Watford in the Prem are with the same bank. Spurs also have a similar short term loan with Bank of America.

It is just about cash to pay players until the TV money comes in.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose the only downside to borrowing money from anticipated future income is that you have a big interest bill to pay? There again I expect Fosun can afford it!

R

reanswolf

Sure Steve, but who says we’re skint??
The record shows we’re capable of paying almost £40m for an untried teenager, hardly the evidence of a club in financial distress!!
There may be prudent decisions being made in an unattractive financial environment where there’s a pandemic running wild in the world… and quite frankly, I would prefer prudence in those circumstances if it maintains the stability of the club and awaits more favourable times and terms!
Thing is Waggy, fans are rightly asking about our financial strategy where prudence is required but then spending £35m on an unproven youngster who still isnt up to scratch to help the first team. That£35m could have been well spent to help the team evolve now, instead of it withering away and hence Wolves now stagnating as a club.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is Waggy, fans are rightly asking about our financial strategy where prudence is required but then spending £35m on an unproven youngster who still isnt up to scratch to help the first team. That£35m could have been well spent to help the team evolve now, instead of it withering away and hence Wolves now stagnating as a club.
I would much rather ‘stagnate’ in the Premiership that ‘stagnate’ in the Championship or League 1. Our current owners have done more in 5 years than the previous 2 did in 25. Yet we have so many fans complaining about Fosun and slagging them off like they are the Bhattis reincarnated.

To me they have been the best owners of this club during my lifetime of supporting Wolves which is nearly 50 years. I admit I did not take much notice of our owners until they bankrupted us in 1982 and saddled us with a White Elephant of a stand.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would much rather ‘stagnate’ in the Premiership that ‘stagnate’ in the Championship or League 1. Our current owners have done more in 5 years than the previous 2 did in 25. Yet we have so many fans complaining about Fosun and slagging them off like they are the Bhattis reincarnated.

To me they have been the best owners of this club during my lifetime of supporting Wolves which is nearly 50 years. I admit I did not take much notice of our owners until they bankrupted us in 1982 and saddled us with a White Elephant of a stand.
Yes to this.
We won the lottery with Fosun and I for one am very, very grateful. I’m not saying things are perfect but Wolves are a relatively stable PL club, managed in a reasonable and pragmatic way.
Several years ago, I had given up all hope for Wolves, ( at least in my lifetime), and never thought we’d be back here.
I read a lot of negativity about the club but there’s a lot to be happy and satisfied with.

Last edited:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yup, as much as part of me is happy to see my fellow wolfs being a bit more critical of Fosun (for me the issue is about them being yet another PL owner with dubious credentials given their ties to the CCP, not their ability to manage us) I think they've done well by us. The idea of being self-sufficient is a sensible one, and they invested early on to get us to this point, so fair play. The ground issue suggests they're in it for the medium rather than long.

Jota was sold at the right time for a fair price. The fact he's gone on to play his way into one of the best sides in the World was unexpected, let's be honest, and he wanted away so there's no point crying over that.

The Silva signing remains a weird one, as was Semedo at a time when the weaknesses were obviously elsewhere. I hope we now move away from Mendes except for when it suits us - our bargaining position is much stronger now that we're back where we belong...

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If some
35 million could have been spent in so many different ways to give us that push. Players like anguissa went for 10 million. Raphina was 20 million for leeds. So many different possibilities with the wrong people in charge unaware of these possibilities.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
wolves stagnating as a club what a load of *******s get a grip man, I have no idea what people's expectations are, that we win the Champions League by 2023? If so then maybe we are stagnating but if anybody is prepared to accept that football is a long-term project then such terms as 'stagnating' to describe our current situation just simply cannot be taken seriously as a reasoned argument, we are a work in progress, yes progress is what I said, as far as I'm concerned Fosun did exactly the right thing by firing Nuno and if that was not a signal of intent given the regard in which he was held by Wolves fans and but were still prepared to get rid to move the club forward then I don't know what else to say

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do agree mate but if we are as skint as being made out how are we ever going to go forward? The squad is ridiculously small, it's neglect.

Nobody says we're skint? We'd be mad not to borrow at historically low interest rates when inflation is about to go up and the known on that is coming.

It's like borrowing 300,000 to buy a house at 1.5% mortgage, then using your own 300,000 to invest at 7%.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody says we're skint? We'd be mad not to borrow at historically low interest rates when inflation is about to go up and the known on that is coming.

It's like borrowing 300,000 to buy a house at 1.5% mortgage, then using your own 300,000 to invest at 7%.
Where can I get 7% please ?
Nigerian prince ?

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wolves stagnating as a club what a load of *******s get a grip man, I have no idea what people's expectations are, that we win the Champions League by 2023? If so then maybe we are stagnating but if anybody is prepared to accept that football is a long-term project then such terms as 'stagnating' to describe our current situation just simply cannot be taken seriously as a reasoned argument, we are a work in progress, yes progress is what I said, as far as I'm concerned Fosun did exactly the right thing by firing Nuno and if that was not a signal of intent given the regard in which he was held by Wolves fans and but were still prepared to get rid to move the club forward then I don't know what else to say
Read that without taking a breath last night. Just regained consciousness. :)

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
I suppose the only downside to borrowing money from anticipated future income is that you have a big interest bill to pay? There again I expect Fosun can afford it!
When FOSUN gets an 11% return on its equity, it would be very bad business practice to use that money at Wolves when they can borrow at 3-4%. Almost all companies have borrowings, otherwise they are not maximising their return to shareholders

Sanewolf

Reaction score
Every week that passes the Silva purchase looks more and more dodgy.

Why spend so much money on a kid who isnt very good when we need to take out loans to cover us until money due comes in.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why spend so much money on a kid who isnt very good when we need to take out loans to cover us until money due comes in.
Just to think 12 months earlier we could of signed him for 2m……

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We'll never know the murky world of Mendes. Neves was obviously a stunning deal for Wolves, unthinkable he would come to play in the Championship, and at half the price other clubs were talking about paying for him.
Maybe the pay off was that we'd agreed to buy another player as part of the package over a few years....clubs can pretty much predict the future now and structure their finances accordingly. Porto might have needed a bit of money in 2017, but knew they'd need a lot more in 2019 to balance out FFP or other debts.
Let's face it, Neves was worth 35 million and Silva would be 15 million at a push, rather than the other way around and how it actually happened.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most ETF's give back more than 7%, or your average pension fund should give more than 7%. The worst place to put your money is obviously a savings account in a bank!
ETF?

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Jota now rated at £75 million does anyone think Liverpool shafted us with that deal?

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Jota now rated at £75 million does anyone think Liverpool shafted us with that deal?

When you consider we spent the jota money on silva and hoever we may as well have just given him away for free anyway. Worst. Deal. Ever.

L78

Reaction score
Another reason why he looks a better player because he his playing with world class players and a world class manager. Simply taken him to another level

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another reason why he looks a better player because he his playing with world class players and a world class manager. Simply taken him to another level
Totally agree you put Neves, Kilman or Sa in a super league team they would be worth over 100m easy

Back
Top Bottom