Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Joao Gomes Fan Club

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best thing is 99 times out of 100 we'd never have signed him once his club accepted a better bid. What a sliding doors moment.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Thought he was superb yesterday, RAN and Lemina have rightly been singled out for their performances against Fulham but Gomes wasn't far off off either.

Think it'll be another year before reports start coming out about him being monitored by the big boys ready for the summer. Enjoy him while he's here

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guy has just turned 23 and is a very good Premier League midfield player already.

His tackling and ball-winning are incredible, but he has so much technical ability to go with that too. The way he can carry the ball, his skill to find his way out of tight spots and his decision making, are all exceptional for a player of his age.

He is going to be a very special player.

Last edited:

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The guy has just turned 23 and is a very good Premier League midfield player already.

His tackling and ball-winning are incredible, but he has so much technical ability to go with that too. The way he can carry the ball, his skill to find his way out of tight spots and his decision making, are exceptional for a player of his age.

Great how he's along side Lemina. I can imagine Mario's infectious winning mentality rubs off on young Joao.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The media are constantly talking about how Liverpool have reinvented their midfield from last season...

The same should be said for Wolves. Out go Neves and Moutinho (and Dendoncker) who on their day were a match for anyone but on other days were ineffective and slowed the game down.

In come Lemina, Gomes (Doyle and Traore) all of whom possess different strong points but are all dynamic in their own way.

We know that Dawson and Lemina were the main reasons for our survival last season, with Gomes playing a more junior role...

But the dynamic midfield at our disposal this season has been the real driving force behind GON's remarkable improvement this season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His tackling and ball-winning are incredible, but he has so much technical ability to go with that too. The way he can carry the ball, his skill to find his way out of tight spots and his decision making, are all exceptional for a player of his age.

He's already a special player. He's just going to be specialer, that's all. ;)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He clearly had potential when he arrived. But hasn't he come on in leaps and bounds, too? Adapted quickly, really developed his decision making , cut out the reckless cards he was getting and so on. He's got a smart head as well as smart feet!

Imagine if he carries on improving at this rate in the next year - build the team round him!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He clearly had potential when he arrived. But hasn't he come on in leaps and bounds, too? Adapted quickly, really developed his decision making , cut out the reckless cards he was getting and so on. He's got a smart head as well as smart feet!

Imagine if he carries on improving at this rate in the next year - build the team round him!

From what I can tell he was used mostly as a defensive midfielder destroyer back in Brazil. But Wolves from the get-go mentioned they thought he could offer much more going forward and it turns out we were right!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sutton

Reaction score
Gomes fits perfectly with Go West by Pet Shop Boys.

Gomes, He’s Brazilian
Gomes, hates the albion
Gomes, wearing number 8,
Gomes, the lad is ****ing great.

Catchy and easy to remember? Yes.
Complimentary to Joao? Yes.
Slags off the baggoes? Yes.
Sweary? Yes.
Sung by Liverpool or Arsenal? No.

To me it ticks all of the criteria for a song to be successful at Molineux. Apart from the Liverpool/Arsenal bit. Damn.

Hope this kicks off on Saturday. He so deserves a good song. Fast becoming my favourite player. Build the team around this lad.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does make me laugh how the articles make out Hobbs found Gomes doing kick-ups on Copacabana beach. He had played over 100 times for one of the biggest clubs in Brazil and won the South American Champions League :D

Good article above though, and exactly the sort of profile of player we should be going for.
Oh c'mon it does nothing of the sort. Yes it says he was instrumental in finding him, but it never alludes to the fact he was in his youth at that point, or on the beach! There are countless South American stars that flop in Europe who had more games on their CV than Gomes. The recruitment team, which Hobbs heads, deserve massive credit for this as does Joao for sticking to his word.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellingham v Gomes at Wembley has me salivating like Pavlov’s Dog.

The irresistible force v the immovable object.

Is it too much hyperbole to say these two could be the best midfielders in the world over the next decade?

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellingham v Gomes at Wembley has me salivating like Pavlov’s Dog.

The irresistible force v the immovable object.

Is it too much hyperbole to say these two could be the best midfielders in the world over the next decade?
Could be stretching it a little. Bellingham certainly, but in Gomes’ case, Rodri exists.
Not as outlandish as it initially sounds though.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
I beg to Differ Bellingham is a fantastic all round midfielder Foden is terrific going forwards. Now don't get me wrong I would have either/both in any wolves team
And both should be the making of the best England midfield for the next ten years, there's no reason why we can't win the euros and the next world cup with those two in their prime.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He settled in almost immediately and he said that he's made for the PL.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he and Lemina are the best things to happen to Wolves since our Championship winning season

I think we had 1 or 2 top players join after the Championship season! I'd say they are the best things to happen to us since the second season back, though, definitely. I'd also include Cunha, too.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have Foden any day over Bellingham.
One will have to give way as the likes of Henderson and Rice are ahead of both. I doubt if Southgate would start many tournament games with both Foden and Bellingham.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One will have to give way as the likes of Henderson and Rice are ahead of both. I doubt if Southgate would start many tournament games with both Foden and Bellingham.
Bellingham surely has to start! I'd expect it to be him and Rice.

Back
Top Bottom