Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
romano stating forest after freuler as one of the targets in the list, If that happens I reckon mgw is definitely staying

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who was it that said £10-15m players were beneath us now and only for clubs like Brighton?!

And here's Wolves clutching at a £3m brand expansion

That’s not really what was said. It was more about how that £10-20m level of player is outside our typical strategy, which roughly looks something like this….

1) First team ready - i.e. better or equivalent to what we have or direct replacements (Semedo, Sa)
2) High potential youth prospect (Fabio, Neto, Ait-Nouri)
3) Low fee, pre-breakout punts (Chiquinho, Gomes, Mosquera)

I suppose Hwang Mk2 fits into the 3rd category.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Difference with Son is, there always was a quality player there. At £30m (don't quote me on that figure, mind) there was a line of clubs queuing up and he is a fantastic player.

Maybe this lad we are rumoured to be after is the next big thing. But how typical and unoriginal of us is it. Call me a cynic, but we pressed on with the Hwang signing because of the positive impact he was having in a marketing sense. That is it. If it isn't, then the club deserve even more criticism because he simply is not good enough and to be linked with another Korean I have never heard of on the back of that, at a time when we desperately need an experienced goal scorer, is beyond frustrating. We may aswell have kept hold of Fabio instead of making our squad weaker.
At a time of which we are sat in another inactive transfer window when we know that literally one or two more quality players (one cm, one cf) takes us from competing with the top 10 to competing with the top 6. We know that, because we was in that position in January but in the amateurs words "why risk the clubs future on one £20m player", insulting beyond belief that quote. What a clueless ****er.

For 3 years now and 6 transfer windows, not one, not two, SIX we have just sat and not capitalised on a fantastic opportunity to compete with the top 6.
So yes, I think my rant does have logic basis.
Please god put that daft idea to bed. There's virtually no commercial sense in signing hwang. It doesn't exist. It's a concept entirely made up because some people don't like him (which doesn't include our manager).

It's not cynical, it's absolute nonsense that doesn't even slightly stack up.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously, we need to stop the "only one reason we buy Korean players" thing now. Have we signed Collins to tap into the Irish market? Was Dadshov an attempt to become Big In Baku? Is Coady a cynical ploy to milk the St. Helens pound?

Do those making these claims even know what business interests we have in Korea? It's not China, where Fosun are particularly trying to grow the brand, just like Britain isn't Romania.
Couple of posts have more than a whiff of racism about them. Can we please stop judging players like this.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Pretty clear they appear to be looking for a short-term, cheap option. There’s no chance a big name, big money signing is coming in to replace Raul.

We know they’re looking for outside investment, you don’t acquire that by adding debt
Even if we had loads of cash to splash we are not signing a big name striker. They are out of reach as they will want to play for one of the sly six or top European clubs.

Only Man City and Chelsea broke the mould by being able to throw endless pots of cash on transfer fees and wages pre ffp. Think Newcastle with all the wealth behind them will struggle to repeat what Man City and Chelsea achieved, unless they blatantly ignore ffp and pay way over the odds to attract mercenary players who value money over European football.

Our fans need a reality check. We are not signing big name strikers. We are likely to pursue players either on the fringe of other teams, like Raul and Jota, and take a punt on a l2b basis or young prospect like Fabio and hope they develop into the next big thing or someone who is low risk but potentially undervalued, like Hwang. The last time we signed a proven big name goalscorer was Andy Gray over 40 years ago!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please god put that daft idea to bed. There's virtually no commercial sense in signing hwang. It doesn't exist. It's a concept entirely made up because some people don't like him (which doesn't include our manager).

It's not cynical, it's absolute nonsense that doesn't even slightly stack up.
Not true. Wolves Instagram, Twitter and even YouTube whether it's Dazzlin' Dave or a bonus free friendly the chat is swamped with South Koreans asking about Hwang because he's essentially their big hope to succeed Son and Park on the big stage. I don't know about this new guy, but it goes without saying two South Koreans can only expand the brand further (one of Jeff's self-confessed key strategic objectives).

If he can play I couldn't care less about his nationality, but you can't blame Wolves fans for being cynical, even if it could be pure coincidence, and may even be courtesy of the opportunity to play with Hwang - as always, we will never know

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind this Hwang replacing Adama in the squad, looks quick and a good dribbler and has more of an eye for goal than Adama does.

Wolves could essentially sell Adama for £10mil and buy Hwang and the Roma striker for a combined £10mil

Madmalc

Reaction score
Not happy, just about finished working on a goal celebration chant for He Chan :
Bang, Bang, Hwang!
Bang, Bang, Hwang!
Who can?
He Chan!
Bang, Bang, Hwang!

Now I might have to work on the third and fourth line.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not happy, just about finished working on a goal celebration chant for He Chan :
Bang, Bang, Hwang!
Bang, Bang, Hwang!
Who can?
He Chan!
Bang, Bang, Hwang!

Now I might have to work on the third and fourth line.
Wouldn’t worry about it it’s not like you’re going to get to sing it.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently Max Fitzgerald whoever he is has told some Russian backed website called Sport24 that speculation linking us with Eldor Shomurodov is not true:

“Interested in Shomurodov? No, this is not true,” explains Max Fitzgerald, the head of the club’s media department

Link

Max or whoever you are, why don’t you spend 5 minutes on here telling The CLUBS FANS who we are and who we aren’t interested in instead?
Why the hell is he talking to a Russian-backed website?! What next, a pre-season tour of Afghanistan and selfies with the Taliban?!

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not true. Wolves Instagram, Twitter and even YouTube whether it's Dazzlin' Dave or a bonus free friendly the chat is swamped with South Koreans asking about Hwang because he's essentially their big hope to succeed Son and Park on the big stage. I don't know about this new guy, but it goes without saying two South Koreans can only expand the brand further (one of Jeff's self-confessed key strategic objectives).

If he can play I couldn't care less about his nationality, but you can't blame Wolves fans for being cynical, even if it could be pure coincidence, and may even be courtesy of the opportunity to play with Hwang - as always, we will never know
It is absolutely true. The commercial value of hwang is **** all compared to his footballing value (he was never going to be a superstar). Just because he has national interest doesn't mean he seemingly has loads of commercial value and that's why we'd sign him.

This is 1+1=3. I thought you had football contacts btw - you should know this makes no sense. Feeding this cynicism is really bad idea.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is absolutely true. The commercial value of hwang is **** all compared to his footballing value (he was never going to be a superstar). Just because he has national interest doesn't mean he seemingly has loads of commercial value and that's why we'd sign him.

This is 1+1=3. I thought you had football contacts btw - you should know this makes no sense. Feeding this cynicism is really bad idea.
Good point. Also, worth noting:

* 3£million he is not cheap - just good value
* French Div II is not poor quality - our own League Div II is just as good
* 30 isn't old - he has experience

We should trust our recruitment team, they know what they are doing, when have they ever let us down before.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes really. If you have a player, you take advantage of it. And you also look at stats with a sensible eye, not taking a '2000%' increase at face value.

The commercials don't even slightly stack up. They won't even be a minor dent in wolves finances.

This is really, really basic business commercials.

Hwang was signed for footballing reasons and Lage clearly rates him. Does the fact it may raise our profile in SK tick a box? Sure. Does it mean that's why we signed and play him? Absolutely not.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes really. If you have a player, you take advantage of it. And you also look at stats with a sensible eye, not taking a '2000%' increase at face value.

The commercials don't even slightly stack up. They won't even be a minor dent in wolves finances.

This is really, really basic business commercials.

Hwang was signed for footballing reasons and Lage clearly rates him. Does the fact it may raise our profile in SK tick a box? Sure. Does it mean that's why we signed and play him? Absolutely not.

You're rather naive if you really believe that. Think about what Fosun are, a global conglomerate. Marketing is practically their middle name! Of course they'd tap into it, it will have been a big reason to go ahead with the signing.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We should trust our recruitment team, they know what they are doing, when have they ever let us down before.
I was talking the other hwang!

But in this case - we just need to sign the player who'll do the job. I know nothing about this hwang.

As for our transfers - other than numbers in, our incoming transfers have been really good for a few years now. Cutrone is our only major failure - which is insane (bonatini must have been a favour but he was great when on loan).

The whole rhetoric here and social media is absolutely poisonous and is only going to be harmful because it's so divorced from reality.

I had a chance to (significantly) part own two football clubs recently. The reason I didn't was because I can see how football fans, always fickle anyway, have gone down the same awful route of politics etc where everything is binary, where almost everyone us useless, and where abuse is absolutely the norm. It's shocking on social media now and frankly little better here.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're rather naive if you really believe that. Think about what Fosun are, a global conglomerate. Marketing is practically their middle name! Of course they'd tap into it, it will have been a big reason to go ahead with the signing.
Not only am I not naive, I'm far more in the know about non transfer aspects than most others. I just don't shout about it for obvious reasons.

Of course they can and should tap into it but its a numbers game. You can (and they do) the calculations. And I'm telling you, that's not why they sign a player. The most it can do is affect contract terms in some form; add a little bias you might say. Exceptions include eg chinese players who will likely never play (political and potential commercial reasons) etc but not first teamers. Different kettle of fish.

Edit: there are occasional exceptions in football, usually for profile raising purposes. The only exception I could think of for signing SK players would be a prospective buyer of the club or investor in us. Absolutely no knowledge of if this is the case fwiw.

Lage likes hwang and he was highly rated, end of. It was not a commercial decision. I know nothing about this hwang so can't comment.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
South Korea is a decent sized market and it's a population with money, but it's not any different than any of our other foreign players. Except Korea is an exotic notion for alot of our fans. It's not like Korea hasn't got any better players playing for other large teams. There are loads of Korean players playing all over Europe.

This isn't bringing anywhere near the numbers that Raul is bringing us.

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You sure they haven’t let us down before
Chief?

Crap signings loan and perm since fosun took over in 2016;

Cutrone
William Jose
Hoever
Jesus Vallejo
Rafa Mir - never did it for us
Bodvarson
Paul gladon
Prince oniangue
The duck
Phil ofosu-Ayer
Ben Stevenson
Dadashov
Campana
Kawabe

Way more busts than successes in their tenure think about how all that Money could have been better spent…..

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was talking the other hwang!

But in this case - we just need to sign the player who'll do the job. I know nothing about this hwang.

As for our transfers - other than numbers in, our incoming transfers have been really good for a few years now. Cutrone is our only major failure - which is insane (bonatini must have been a favour but he was great when on loan).

The whole rhetoric here and social media is absolutely poisonous and is only going to be harmful because it's so divorced from reality.

I had a chance to (significantly) part own two football clubs recently. The reason I didn't was because I can see how football fans, always fickle anyway, have gone down the same awful route of politics etc where everything is binary, where almost everyone us useless, and where abuse is absolutely the norm. It's shocking on social media now and frankly little better here.
There was a ‘Silly Tuna’ that had a bit of a score on an NFT sale…and you say you nearly bought a footy club…hmmm! >rubs chin< ;)

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could someone explain 'The British Player quota' because it doesn't seem to exist.
It doesn't exist ;)

Not as yet as a requirement anyway. It's just the 'homegrown' thing, as things stand, we can name a maximum of 25 senior players and are limited to 17 that aren't homegrown, so if we want over 17 senior players in our squad, at least one has to be classed as homegrown but there's no requirement that says our squad has to have 'x' amount of homegrown players (and homegrown players don't have to be British)

Last edited:

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These days when I come on molmix, first thing I look for is if a new name has a thread and it has lots of recent activity.....it must be a signing!
Then I realise there isn't and it's this thread floating at the top....like a turd that wont flush

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

His football contacts are interesting. Doesn't seem to get much right

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Happy Wolves Day!

I was at that match, too. I think Robbie Keane came on as sub, aged 17 or 18, hadn't made his full debut yet. Looked a class above, already. It was possibly a week before he made his real debut with 2 goals at Norwich?
Think Keano was still 16 then! I remember Santos were battering us, but shaka hislop was amazing and kept us in it. I was hoping we'd sign him.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Apparently Max Fitzgerald whoever he is has told some Russian backed website called Sport24 that speculation linking us with Eldor Shomurodov is not true:

“Interested in Shomurodov? No, this is not true,” explains Max Fitzgerald, the head of the club’s media department

Link

Max or whoever you are, why don’t you spend 5 minutes on here telling The CLUBS FANS who we are and who we aren’t interested in instead?

Do you not realise what a remarkably bad idea that would be for the club?

Back
Top Bottom