Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thank you for this…I was wondering why we were not interested in Sanches having nearly acquired him last year at a higher price. But the transfer fee is of course only one element of cost to the buyer….salary , age, length of contract are also key issues. As the contract runs down the sellers value falls and the player perhaps demands a higher salary.

seems very similar to our position with Traore. He won’t sign an extension because we won’t pay what he wants …value will fall rapidly to zero as the contract runs down and all value will be in the salary cost .so even on a free he may not be attractive if his salary demands are too high.
I think the reason we're not in for him now is just because it's clear that PSG are - and we obviously can't compete with them.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really. I just think it’s really hard to judge him last season given the hand he was dealt by the club.
Sure…..but he did accept the job and was he promised players he wanted in that first window?

But as the season went on and especially the last several months, ( when many were calling for his sacking), surely there was some areas that could have been improved on?
Were you totally happy with Bruno’s methods/tactics at that time.

Maybe I’m worrying over nothing…….just a tad paranoid that there won’t be a huge change in style or results.
( forgive me….as a Wolves fan, I too fall to the ‘we can’t have good things’ syndrome…;)).

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we failed to entertain in 90% of last seasons games with the same players more or less so I think entertainment will be something other teams do we just need to try and stay up.
Entertainment and Wolves aren't normally words that go together, boring, predictable, stale and depressing are a few that are more apt.
I'm hoping the change in formation does that.

I firmly believe a front four of Neto, Podence, MGW and Jimenez is up there with most outside the real elite.

I felt the issue was the defence. We couldn't push up because of Coady and we were always one man short in attack because of the formation.

So, I'm now out of excuses :D

If we play 4-2-3-1 with Sa; Jonny, Collins, Kilman, Ait-Nouri; Neves, Moutinho, MGW, Podence, Neto; Jimenez then I think we should be, at the minimum, a good watch against sides on our level.

Of course, that goes out the window this weekend as we have no striker, so I presume it will be back to the tried and trusted of defend, defend, defend and try to counter, regardless of the formation.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I think the reason we're not in for him now is just because it's clear that PSG are - and we obviously can't compete with them.

Yep. Last year was the only window of opportunity we realistically had for Sanches. Would have been a gamble but once he’d proven his fitness, he was always going to have bigger clubs after him.

westside wolf

Reaction score
If we’ve done a full pre season, Let our back up striker go and had no knee jerk reaction to the jiminez news, I’ve got a feeling the chequebook might be closed

I don't disagree, but it wasn't so closed that we couldn't sign Collins. There was clearly an amount of money available, whether that was the entire amount I guess we'll find out in due course. It's absolutely mind-boggling that we've not even managed to loan someone yet. I do think it possibly lends to the narrative that Mendes is no longer doing work for us.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
. If we don't get a midfielder in Neves will 100% be off next season, Moutinho who is already a diminshing force will once again be out of contract and Dendonker who has been very poor for 2 seasons now will be running down to the end of his contract so we would probably need to replace at least 2 and possibly all 3 midfielders and with what money to do so?
This is a huge concern for me. It's much better to integrate new signings a few at a time so they get used to our pace, style and tactics. Having three new signings in a team is fine. Having three in one area of the pitch? Not so much. Given how little we've historically used the January window, this really worries me.

It is, of course, possible that Ronan and/or Cundle emerge as genuine CM candidates, though I can't see them in the same team.

At this rate we'll be converting Coady back again...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang at Striker isn’t the end of the world.

He would do a job before the return of Raul.
I really want to give Hwang the benefit of the doubt but can't help feeling that job would entail banjos and missing hitting cow's butts....

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am resigning myself to a relegation battle this season. Yes some might say negative blah blah . But we couldn't score for **** last season and we have not signed a striker to improve this .

I really hope a new system works but I can see 5 at the back after a few loses as Bruno will panic and then us scrapping for draws and 1 nil wins .

Really hoped they would have learnt lessons but obvious to see they haven't.

Anyway hoping for a striker but knowing us we will get someone in that's on strike not a football player .

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Neves does go I can see Donk dropping into a deeper midfield role and us trying to bring in two more attacking midfielders. It would be unbelievably bad timing and given recent windows I would have no faith we’d achieve two and we’d try and limp through to January happy to have sold Neves for top dollar.

One of our biggest issues is we are nowhere near such an attractive option as when we brought most of our squad. Anyone thinking we’ll be pushing for 7th is wildly optimistic to the point of madness in my view and potential signings know it too. Add in that we are not big payers, the West Midlands is not a particularly attractive area to many young footballers and their partners and you need really good people to scout and negotiate to find and bring in players. We seem a million miles from that, hopefully they can prove me wrong but I won’t hold my breath. I can see a winter of discontent looming.
My fear is that due to injuries we will end up with Coady in midfield....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a random thought…..

If Neves goes, could Coady be his ideal replacement?

No longer needed in a back 4, decent tackler, great range of passing, ideal position for a talker like him.

Oh how our expectation have been lowered!!
Ideal for mid-table Chump otherwise hell no!

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feeling pretty resigned to this being a more stressful season as things stand.. disappointed with the lack of action.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, nicked from Twitter but have checked myself, Kelly Somers at Molineux (on her Instagram) for BBC so something going on. She had interview with Coady, who was also there.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady himself knows he hasnt the pace for a prem league midfield role.
Is he slower than Neves or Moutinho? Not the same sort of player obviously but doesnt look “that” slow when chasing back for goal line clearances.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First off…..I’m just saying I’m concerned about Bruno. Not saying I don’t have any confidence in him. But last season was dire. Week after week and showing no signs of learning from the previous week’s mistakes.

As for his record at Benfica…..great. But your only as good as your last game or coaching gig.
Plus Benfica weren’t in the PL.

Like I said…..even if we get two good players in, (and I think we will ), can Bruno turn us into an entertaining and attacking club. Will we feel by Xmas or mid Feb. that Europe is a good possibility the following season?
Last season ended poorly, but to say it was dire is a massive exaggeration! There were good times and bad. If we'd have strengthened in Jan there is every chance we'd have finished the season without the whimper that happened!

You can't ignore what has gone before just because it doesn’t suit your argument! In the first 3 games last season we got beaten, but looked really threatening going forward. The problem was we had a very difficult start and didn't have the final cutting edge needed, which isn't Brunos fault. He then had to revert back to our previous way of playing to solidify things. Even then in that formation we were chasing top 4 mid Feb.

Bruno isn't perfect I'm not trying to say that, but to say he can't make the team attacking when the problem is one of management and ownership negligence is harsh!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really want to give Hwang the benefit of the doubt but can't help feeling that job would entail banjos and missing hitting cow's butts....

Minutes per goal, 2021/22

Podence 301
Hwang 382
Raul 448
Trincao 462
Neto 465
Adama 1184 (would be less if the cows butt is put in Row Z)
Fabio - Infinity. (at least he was in the right place, shame he forgot the banjo and was facing away from the cow)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're deluding yourself if you think it's OK for a premier League club to not have a single fit striker for the start of the season. Time to wake up
I’m not deluding myself. I just don’t need to read the same thing by a hundred posters, or the same thing a hundred times by the same poster.
We get it;
1. Jeff’s a clown
2. Sellars is a clown
3. Two or three players short
4. Benteke is now acceptable because of No’s 1 & 2
5. We’ll get relegated
6. No planning
7. We shouldn’t have bought Silva coz he’s ****e
8. Wtf…letting Silva go on loan
9. We’re weaker than last year (despite only getting rid of the ‘deadwood’)
10. We should protest (despite that we’re debt free, not a bad first eleven and in the Premier League)
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

I’m sure I could jot another half dozen down but it’s time for my tea.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season ended poorly, but to say it was dire is a massive exaggeration! There were good times and bad. If we'd have strengthened in Jan there is every chance we'd have finished the season without the whimper that happened!

You can't ignore what has gone before just because it doesn’t suit your argument! In the first 3 games last season we got beaten, but looked really threatening going forward. The problem was we had a very difficult start and didn't have the final cutting edge needed, which isn't Brunos fault. He then had to revert back to our previous way of playing to solidify things. Even then in that formation we were chasing top 4 mid Feb.

Bruno isn't perfect I'm not trying to say that, but to say he can't make the team attacking when the problem is one of management and ownership negligence is harsh!
I didn’t say he can’t make an attacking team.
Just saying that Bruno has me a tad concerned and a bit of a worry to me. That’s hardly harsh.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Minutes per goal, 2021/22

Podence 301
Hwang 382
Raul 448
Trincao 462
Neto 465
Adama 1184 (would be less if the cows butt is put in Row Z)
Fabio - Infinity. (at least he was in the right place, shame he forgot the banjo and was facing away from the cow)
Interesting. All similarly bad.
Can you also show how many minutes per game we were actually trying to score?
To be fair to them all , they might all be exceptionally good if you factor that in.

Back
Top Bottom