Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Football Governance Bill

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mods - do move it into the Political Section if needs be, but I thought I would set this up prior to the publication of the long awaited White Paper on Football Governance Reform, which the Sports Minister has just confirmed in the Commons that the release should be on Thursday.

This will no doubt be a major moment for the game, on how things operate moving forward and what it means for clubs and fans.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stops us joining a European Super League. Booo!!! :rolleyes:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most impactful rule, depending on how well it's implemented, will be where clubs have to prove that they're well run financially with a long-term sustainable plan, otherwise "they won't be allowed to compete". Believe it when I see it.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will have no legal purpose, there will be so many loopholes found to get around ownership rules.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps a cynical view from me but I really don’t see what this will achieve albeit obviously the proof will be in the pudding.

Football like so many other industries has a governing body who are there to regulate and like so many other industries in the past white papers have been produced to little or no effect. Prime example is the financial services industry and the financial conduct authority.

Ultimately those in this industry with the most money will hold the most influence and will indeed carry on doing what they want.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stopping clubs going out of existence - great (but not clear how).

Giving supporters more powers - ok but unless we have a 51% share in the voting will be meaningless (consultation rather than agreement)?

Will undoubtedly be some unintended consequences and/or loopholes - depending on how it interacts with FFP may strengthen Big 6 position for example or may reduce money in PL and another league/clubs benefit.

For example will the future model be individual TV rights not collective ones? Can government direct this money cascades? Or will we always be a collective deal and big European sides increasingly sell their own product becoming stronger.

In the way that teams rotate over time at the top, leagues or European powerhouses often do as well. Devil in detail to come.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well that puts paid to us taking part in the Shanghai International Tournament pre season thingy that we slaughtered Man City in last time?

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Better not tell FIFA/UEFA as they don’t like Governments getting in involved in football .

And some might say the Government have their own problems to sort out !

Never go through as the clubs won’t agree to this .

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for a second I dreamt this might make it more of a sporting thing than a business thing by ensuring the playing field is levelled or at least had some correction via a more equitable sharing of the media money. But of course not it's bound to be just another PR exercise and feathering of nests for politicians.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not an awful lot FIFA or UEFA can do if this becomes law.
Well, they can suspend England from their competitions. FIFA have done this with several countries before when the government has interfered with the football authorities in those countries.

However I suspect that the FA will be on board with this idea and not have to be forced to comply.

In all honesty, the game just needs a proper rigorous licensing system from all the leagues that ensures that clubs truly have the funding to stay solvent before they receive a license to play that season's fixtures and that licenses will be revoked from clubs who join any non-approved competitions.

The Football League however is a terribly run organisation that does little to stop huge debts piling up and just wants the Premier League to pay it subsidies the whole time to prop it all up.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key details have just been announced. Full publication due tomorrow.

View attachment 33285

The highlights sound good, and have been broadly welcomed across the political divide, so there’s a good chance they will become law. As others have commented, the devil is in the detail, and to some extent, at the whim of whoever is appointed as the regulator. My guess from what’s been announced, is that the regulator will be expected to take a fairly soft touch, hands off, role. Having a set of broad principles and a regulator set in law means the regulator can influence the game, stepping in to force good governance and resolve disputes, with the power to step in an impose a solution if the clubs or governing body don’t act reasonably and in line with the principles. This is similar to how some industry regulation works, and I’ve seen it work well at first hand, both in setting rules and in weighing in on disputes. My opinion is that it worked there because the regulator and their team were deeply knowledgeable and fair, so the football one would need to be also.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've changed our kit colours many times in the past -
Old Gold;
yellow;
mustard;
inoffensive orange;
a sort of tan you sometimes see on a sunburnt heifer;
that murky brown found in swimming pools populated by kids...

Hopefully no more, then :)
You forget our first strip was blue and white hoops followed by red and white stripes lol

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better not tell FIFA/UEFA as they don’t like Governments getting in involved in football .

And some might say the Government have their own problems to sort out !

Never go through as the clubs won’t agree to this .
The clubs don't have a veto, if the government sets up a regulator then there's nothing that can be done about it.

Let's be honest, for all the government's woes, the FA haven't done a good enough job in governing the game since the creation of the PL. Too compliant and subservient to vested interests, particularly those at the top of the game.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps a cynical view from me but I really don’t see what this will achieve albeit obviously the proof will be in the pudding.

Football like so many other industries has a governing body who are there to regulate and like so many other industries in the past white papers have been produced to little or no effect. Prime example is the financial services industry and the financial conduct authority.

Ultimately those in this industry with the most money will hold the most influence and will indeed carry on doing what they want.
Indeed and if it seeks to intervene too much FIFA will get involved, claim violition of their rules, and threaten to ban England/English club teams from all international competitions....

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The clubs don't have a veto, if the government sets up a regulator then there's nothing that can be done about it.

Let's be honest, for all the government's woes, the FA haven't done a good enough job in governing the game since the creation of the PL. Too compliant and subservient to vested interests, particularly those at the top of the game.
Yes the game definitely needs some of reform .

Hopefully everyone agrees.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The closest Sullivan has ever been to principles is its incorrect spelling/usage in the top quote.

Aaah, but they won us the World Cup, didn’t they, so here's a stadium at bargain-basement prices ...
Surprised he doesn’t have lap dancers as pre match entertainment

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm such a sucker for a second I dreamt this might make it more of a sporting thing than a business thing by ensuring the playing field is levelled or at least had some correction via a more equitable sharing of the media money. But of course not it's bound to be just another PR exercise and feathering of nests for politicians.
A more equitable share of media money means a lot less for wolves. Be careful what you wish for

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I work in financial services where the regulators are throttling the life out of the industry. Just like VAR this will be regretted
I agree. I worked in Financial Services for 30 years before getting out and the reason for my leaving was my absolute disgust of the FSA. I remember having a telephone conversation with one of their helpline assistants about their fees. I commented that the FSA were not clever enough to catch the real rogues in the industry. He agreed with me!

Apparently if you printed out the FSA rule book, you would have a stack of A4 paper over six feet high!

Back
Top Bottom