Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Doog.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He must have been a nightmare for defenders, all albows and bony limbs. He would often deliberately play to win a corner, then fist pump the crowd to raise the roof. He brought a large Irish following to Molineux. A great player for Wolves.

Stingray II

Reaction score
I worked in a car-parts / accessories store in Wolverhampton. This was soon after he retired from playing. I was at his testimonial game. First time he came in, he tried to claim a "trade discount". He knew that auto-repairers could get the parts cheaper and tried to convince us that as he was an entitled business (showed us his business license.- Derek Dougan L.T.D. ) and claimed that he deserved the discount, but he didn't qualify. I was surprised how hard he fought for the discount, assuming he was worth 500 times more than me and anyone I'd ever met. I told him to just find me anytime he came in and I gave him my staff discount, on the grounds that I'm a Wolves fan. So, I met him a handful of times when he bought stuff. He didn't seem interested in me as a person, but was always verty excited by the discount he could get. I loved this player, but suspect that he might not be so great away from the game. But then maybe the best goal-scorers need to be greedy, bullying, aggressive and selfish. Not qualities I want in a friend, but maybe it's how a great goalscorer must be. He was a great goalscorer.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loved his partnership with JR.
On a personal level, our next door neighbour ran an orphanage in Wolverhampton and Doog was often there helping out, she got me a meet up with him, autograph etc. We had a little chat where he was nice to me.....tbf he did most of the chatting as I was a very shy 14 year old.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Fond memories?
Just EVERY time he played for us, was an extraordinarily fond memory !!
I'm delighted to say, that I was able to savour this experience many times.
Doog, you were simply THE BEST.

Thanks for those Fond Memories!!
Wolves ONLY Wolves.
Great tribute Elvis, watching the Doog and his partnership with JR was very special.
Nice action of the pair here in this clip from January 1972 at Old Trafford, was watching from the Scoreboard End.
Short highlights, bit blurred.
Full match highlights, better quality.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doog was a character, who always got a reaction. Loved by Wolves fans, but jeered by opposing fans. What I liked was that whenever the Doog was playing, something was always likely to happen. I recall Jack Charlton once saying that Doog was one of the most difficult players to play against, and coming from a player of Charltons calibre that is indeed a compliment.

They broke the mould when they made Derek Dougan, sleep tight Doog.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great tribute Elvis, watching the Doog and his partnership with JR was very special.
Nice action of the pair here in this clip from January 1972 at Old Trafford, was watching from the Scoreboard End.
Short highlights, bit blurred.
Full match highlights, better quality.
Was at that game, at the side, very near the Stretford End, more or less level with Jummy Mac when he took the pen. Great memories!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 5-1 win over Arsenal in November 1971 was a typical Doog performance. Scored a goal from a tight angle that dribbled in, got a penalty which Jimmy Mac converted.

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Was a lad in the North Bank at the time, game a a typical muddy Molineux at the time, v Southampton. Wolves won a penalty, and while most of the Southampton players were arguing with the ref, Dougan picked the ball up, put it on the penalty spot, and pretended to take the penalty, the Southampton goalkeeper thought i was for real and dived. Doog, just laughed as he had made the goalkeeper look like an idiot.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He must have been a nightmare for defenders, all albows and bony limbs. He would often deliberately play to win a corner, then fist pump the crowd to raise the roof. He brought a large Irish following to Molineux. A great player for Wolves.

I remember Brian Labone saying that he found him the most difficult player to play against and that was really saying something in those days.
Loved The Doog. Great player and wonderful showman. I would pay my money just to see him any day of the week.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is fourteen years ago today since the passing of the Doog ....anyone any fond memories of his playing career while he was at Molineux.
I remember being outside Molineux with many other Wolves fans on the day of his funeral waiting for the hearse which stopped outside the Billy Wright. Typical showman to the end, a gold and black coffin with a Wolves logo.

Last edited:

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Dad loved The Doog. He usually only commented on goalkeepers (thought Clemence was rubbish, loved Banks etc).

They are probably up there now, frame of snooker on the go, arguing about Goalkeepers.

RIP Doog (and Dad)

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got the DVD of the funeral but can't really bring myself to watch it again.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what`s his name? DOUGAN!
what`s his name?DOUGAN!
repeat for 90 mins.
I loved it when the teams came out just before the game when the players tunnel was down the North Bank end of the ground. Out would come Doog arms held aloft to towards the North Bank. Great days and great memories.

Death Owl

Reaction score
Remember when he fronted the takeover in the early 80's and there was real excitement at the opening match of the season. He appeared on the Southbank in a grey suit. I thought he was the messiah as he was mobbed by his adoring fans. I bought a season ticket for the first time and I think it cost about £30..I still have it!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was fortunate enough to meet him once. I have to be honest he was just an “ex footballer” to me as I was quite young, but my Dad was awestruck.

For those few hours we spent with him The Doog was charming and terrifying in equal measures. A huge character.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when he fronted the takeover in the early 80's and there was real excitement at the opening match of the season. He appeared on the Southbank in a grey suit. I thought he was the messiah as he was mobbed by his adoring fans. I bought a season ticket for the first time and I think it cost about £30..I still have it!
I bought a season ticket when doug ellis appealed for the fans to do so
then about a week later called in the receivers which meant I had lost my money
Doog when he had taken over honoured the season tickets which is why I hated ellis and was
grateful to the Doog(besides remembering him as a fantastic player)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could have sworn on that opening day of the season (which was BBC's Match of the Day) he stood in the North Bank.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some years ago we were shopping in the Stars News Shop (remember them?) in Tettenhall. My wife rushes over to me and says some guy keeps trying to chat her up and wont leave her alone. This left me in a bit of a dilemma......

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
During the day of the night he died a female friend of ours was in the Bentlands and the Doog was in there with some friends .They had obviously been drinking and amongst their chat their language was rather choice .We all swear but when it’s the naughty words said in a loud manner over and over again with Women and children present it isn’t on .
Our friend politely reminded his group of who was around them and in fairness they stopped .She was shocked when she heard on the radio the next day that he had passed away .
We all know his running of the club didn’t end on a good note but I like virtually all Wolves fans I prefer to remember him as the legend that he was as a player here .

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
I got absolutely plastered with The Doog when I was at Halesowen College! And he never brought a drink!

He walked into the pub and stated 'Let me buy you all a drink' and waited just long enough for people to say.....'no Doog let me buy you one' and he simply stated 'Very kind of ya, I'll have a leger and me mates here will have a bitter'.

He repeated this every time his glass was near empty.

He met us to discuss involvement in his Duncan Edwards charitable work from Old Trafford to Russell's Hall....his exploits on that tour remain legendary to certain people of a certain age in Stourbridge.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some years ago we were shopping in the Stars News Shop (remember them?) in Tettenhall. My wife rushes over to me and says some guy keeps trying to chat her up and wont leave her alone. This left me in a bit of a dilemma......
Who was it?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I

thought he stood on the n.bank and sir jack stood on the s.bank.
didn`t a mixer have some photos of it some years ago
I'm as certain as I can be that he stood on the N Bank, not the South. The MoTD cameras homed in on him at the start of the game standing on a fairly sparsely populated N Bank. The match was against Blackburn, 1982-3 season. It was pretty remarkable, back in the days of the highlights of just one match, that the Beeb picked a 2nd tier game not a 1st Division game. We won 2-1, with a brace from Mel Eves

D

Deleted member 7041

Never ever seen a player orchestrate a crowd like he could. A very special character. An even more special player.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm as certain as I can be that he stood on the N Bank, not the South. The MoTD cameras homed in on him at the start of the game standing on a fairly sparsely populated N Bank. The match was against Blackburn, 1982-3 season. It was pretty remarkable, back in the days of the highlights of just one match, that the Beeb picked a 2nd tier game not a 1st Division game. We won 2-1, with a brace from Mel Eves
I`m wondering if he spent 45 mins at each end of the ground as one report said he spent
the 2nd half on the terraces.the only photo I have found was a close up amongst the fans
which could have been anywhere in the ground.
the gate was 15,605.to put this into context the next game was away to chelsea where
the gate was 14,192,followed by away to leeds where the gate was 16,462.
the era of the hooligans

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
I was there and I seem to remember him making a speech over the microphone before the game and saying something like "I am going to come and stand amongst you" and then he went into the North Bank just before the game started.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved him. Great player. Remember thinking he was the messiah when he "took over" the club and we got promoted back to div 1 in '82-83...

Back
Top Bottom