Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Doog

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
It is therteen years ago since the passing of the Doog thanks for the memories and there were many RIP gone but never forgot.... What is your fondest memory of him in a Wolves shirt.

Attachments

• 17-07-14-CB-Dec-67-Dougan-6in-Copy-1.jpg
    17-07-14-CB-Dec-67-Dougan-6in-Copy-1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 13

JJ59

Reaction score
Great Great player, scored loads of goals for us as a key player in a team loaded with talent. Quite a showman I remember him using his hand to put the ball in the net, Ref awarded a goal kick, the Doog chased after the ref after smearing his head with soil to prove he had headed the goal. If memory is right I think at one stage he was suspended for 6 weeks following spendings off and suspension meant he couldn't train with club during that period and he trained alone in West Park. Imagine that today.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Great Great player, scored loads of goals for us as a key player in a team loaded with talent. Quite a showman I remember him using his hand to put the ball in the net, Ref awarded a goal kick, the Doog chased after the ref after smearing his head with soil to prove he had headed the goal. If memory is right I think at one stage he was suspended for 6 weeks following spendings off and suspension meant he couldn't train with club during that period and he trained alone in West Park. Imagine that today.
He got 8 weeks after being sent off against Everton

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonderful player and great personality. Would love to have spent an evening drinking with him.

Reaction score
His home debut and being thrown forward and nearly losing my glasses on the North Bank when he scored his hat trick goal
I was in the seats with my old fella, remember going crazy at his hat trick goal against Hull. Wasn’t there a home game where the Doog and Johnny Richards shared 5 goals ?
Man City ??

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I was in the seats with my old fella, remember going crazy at his hat trick goal against Hull. Wasn’t there a home game where the Doog and Johnny Richards shared 5 goals ?
Man City ??
It was either them or Derby .I can’t remember which

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doog Doog Doog! Fabulous hatrick on his home debut! The south bank on that day was fulll of Leicester City fans!

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I'm in my 50's but was too young to remember him playing at the time. Over lockdown I've entertained myself by watching lots of old Wolves matches from 60's & 70's ... What a cult hero he was, and a great player ...

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hanging in the air when the ball was crossed to him unmarked in the last minute of the FA Cup semi final v Leeds in 1973.
He headed wide and we lost 1-0 !

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His huge personality and rapore he had with us fans. Anything seemed possible with our team when Doog strode out like an invincible god in his gold and black and saluted his followers while receiving their adulation. Larger than life wherever he went, he found his home at Wolves after wondering the football wilderness.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My fondest memory of him was when we played away at Burnley, it was 1-1 at the time, he came on as a sub when we had a corner and he scored with a header within 15 seconds.! Wonderful player and a great character. A big fan. When I got back to my car I'd left my lights on so battery was flat. Dummy!

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Many fond memories while standing on the North Bank and following Wolves away in those days Rusty.
The fondest one is standing outside Old Trafford on Boxing Day 1967 with my dad by a big door near the main entrance.
The big door opened, and their was The Doog standing before us, wow, he had just wanted to see the crowd outside.
Derek saw I was wearing my Wolves scarf, and my dad and Derek started chatting about the game and Wolves for a couple of minutes.
I asked him for his autograph. My dad pulled out a bingo membership card which Derek happily signed on the back, and gave to me.
Wolves lost 4-0 to one of the best sides in Europe in front of 63,450. But that memory is still vivid in my mind, I still have the autograph.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He and JR gave a master class at Old Trafford in January 1972 which I was privileged to be present at. United were top of the league a the time, but we really stuck it to them that afternoon. The Doog, JR and Jimmy Mac got one each in a 3-1 win. Him and JR were unplayable that day.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
He and JR gave a master class at Old Trafford in January 1972 which I was privileged to be present at. United were top of the league a the time, but we really stuck it to them that afternoon. The Doog, JR and Jimmy Mac got one each in a 3-1 win. Him and JR were unplayable that day.
Was a priviledge to be there behind the goal on the Scoreboard End with my dad, sister and friend.
A fantastic performance only tinged by getting a pre-match battering by the Salford Crombie Boys outside.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That hat trick against Hull,finished off with an audacious flick and volley,truly brilliant
He strode the pitch like Cantona, and probably more volatile at times,extrovert,outspoken,but one of the greats for me and many others around in those days im sure,pure class and sadly missed

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I was too young to see him play. However when he helped put consortium together to buy the club, he walked round pitch for first game of season and stood in south bank. His picture was on the front of the program that day and I got it signed by him. It’s one of the very few programs I’ve kept.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a colossus ... the perfect Centre Forward... leading the Wolves line with a great swagger!!

He found his home with us having been around the world a bit before coming to Molineux!!

l liked the goal he scored v double winning Arsenal at Molineux in Nov 71 and also his goal v Man U at Molineux in Sept 72 because I was there!!

He became a friend when he was Chairman... and sometimes I had to pinch myself about that !!!

The unforgettable Doog

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a colossus ... the perfect Centre Forward... leading the Wolves line with a great swagger!!

He found his home with us having been around the world a bit before coming to Molineux!!

l liked the goal he scored v double winning Arsenal at Molineux in Nov 71 and also his goal v Man U at Molineux in Sept 72 because I was there!!

He became a friend when he was Chairman... and sometimes I had to pinch myself about that !!!

The unforgettable Doog

Loved him.

When he missed an open goal he would fall to his knees, arms outstretched, in front of the North Bank and we would to a man (and boy) chant his name.

I wonder if in this day and age he would have been booed, times change, but him and King John will always be my lasting heroes.

As an aside even my grandchildren know the Doog was my hero. :D

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only saw him play live once in 73/74 season. He was one of my favourite players, but then most of that early 70s side were! When I started going regular in 76/77, he'd retired. Remember him being carried around the pitch when we won promo from div 2 under his chairmanship, a few seasons later. Then it all went pear-shaped. Never met him to say hello but met his partner in crime King John. Him and Doog were a perfect partnership up front, in a fine team.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His home debut and being thrown forward and nearly losing my glasses on the North Bank when he scored his hat trick goal
Has to be this for me too. Remember getting back to New Street by which time the Sports Argus was out with some great photos of the hat-rick, which I got signed the next home game. Doog was my schoolboy hero!

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Has to be this for me too. Remember getting back to New Street by which time the Sports Argus was out with some great photos of the hat-rick, which I got signed the next home game. Doog was my schoolboy hero!
Do you still have that my friend.

Back
Top Bottom