Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Big Match Re-visited - ITV 4 (ch 26) ITV 4 +1 (Ch 60)

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sam Allardyce chewing gum as usual!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the Wolves Chelsea 1977 game 1-1 yesterday when we both got promotion. I'd forgotten how fans were just allowed to run on the pitch at the end. Mayhem. 2 people were trying to rip the shirt off John Richards' back! The good old days!

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched that and had forgotten what a lineup we had back then. Couldn’t believe those guys trying to rip the shirt off John Richards. He did well to hold onto it. Fans would be arrested for assault nowadays. How times have changed.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I watched that and had forgotten what a lineup we had back then. Couldn’t believe those guys trying to rip the shirt off John Richards. He did well to hold onto it. Fans would be arrested for assault nowadays. How times have changed.
Yup.
We hark on about the 'good old days' but some things have changed for the better. Due to society changing too some things have changed out of necessity.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watching it now. Football was so much more entertaining in those days. Fast and freeflowing, with far fewer stoppages and non of that VAR rubbish. Loved the state of the pitches, you could get in a really good sliding tackle on those.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Big Match Revisited is currently on ITV4. Showing Liverpool v Southampton at the moment but Wolves v Stoke is up next from 1981.
Thanks Wonder Boyo. I really enjoyed seeing those Wolves legends in action from 41 years ago.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That no-mans land between the New Stand and the pitch…..ugh.

I never sat in the John Ireland as it was back then but if anyone on here did I would like to know just how distant the players were if they were on the Waterloo Road side of the ground, it must have been a binoculars job for some !

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never sat in the John Ireland as it was back then but if anyone on here did I would like to know just how distant the players were if they were on the Waterloo Road side of the ground, it must have been a binoculars job for some !
I sat in there as a kid most seasons after it was built. It wasnt great but over time you just got used to It. But being so distant from the action affected the atmosphere and the great decline started…

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Thanks Wonder Boyo. I really enjoyed seeing those Wolves legends in action from 41 years ago.
Hard to believe that was 41 years ago. I remembered both goals clearly, even though I was only 12 years old at the time. Love looking at all the old advertising boards too. Some, but not many, of those companies still around.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to believe that was 41 years ago. I remembered both goals clearly, even though I was only 12 years old at the time. Love looking at all the old advertising boards too. Some, but not many, of those companies still around.
Panasonic, Hitachi, Visionhire, Midland Bank… even P&O Ferries at Highbury….

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We had a television on hire from DER ( Domestic Electrical Rentals ) :):):)

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a television on hire from DER ( Domestic Electrical Rentals ) :):):)
I can remember renting a TV and the fascination when we advanced to colour. How times change, as we now have 4 colour TVs between two of us and 3 of those are smart TVs!

I have a smart TV, a laptop and a PC in my home office - totally spoilt for choice! :D

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember renting a TV and the fascination when we advanced to colour. How times change, as we now have 4 colour TVs between two of us and 3 of those are smart TVs!

I have a smart TV, a laptop and a PC in my home office - totally spoilt for choice! :D

Try explaining to modern youngster that you had one television in the front room and that was it ! I got my first TV in my bedroom when I was 17 in time for The World Cup that was Spain 82 !

Youngsters think you are taking the Mickey when you tell them you got up and walked across to the set to change channel ! o_Oo_Oo_O

When we got our first colour set suddenly horse racing which I found totally boring on a monochrome set became a fantastic watch with all those bright jockey colours that I was unaware off !

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And only 3 channels!!! :oops:o_O

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like @Macman, I sat in there the first 2 years after it was built. The players were a long way away on the far side especially until they moved the pitch halfway over. Atmosphere did suffer a bit although having a good first season, finishing 6th and winning League cup helped. The novelty of sitting in such a big stand took my mind off it I think as well.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two more things I liked about the Wolves 2 Stoke 0 game was that was a really good kit in my view. The second was once it was decided that Geoff Palmer was going to take it there was no stutter steps or Panenka nonsense from Zico it was run up and blast the hell out of the ball and it worked ! :p:p:p:p

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two more things I liked about the Wolves 2 Stoke 0 game was that was a really good kit in my view. The second was once it was decided that Geoff Palmer was going to take it there was no stutter steps or Panenka nonsense from Zico it was run up and blast the hell out of the ball and it worked ! :p:p:p:p
He had a good run on penalties, unfortunately ending when he skied one into the North Bank against Spurs.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can remember one game sitting in the now Steve Bull when it was foggy. You could only see half way across the pitch and from my seat only one goal, such was the gap between the stand and pitch.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry. I was referring to when you rented your tv and changed to colour, there were only 3 channels available. :)

Just been pointed out to me by a fellow child of the seventies / eighties that back in our day when you bought a new TV you had to tune it in yourself there were was none of this " Plug In and Play " method that there is now for all these pampered youngsters ! :D:D:D:D

I recall tuning the set in 1982 to get Channel 4 was for me the equal of Mission Control Houston talking to an Apollo mission !

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another thing that stands out as massively looking back on those days is the team benches. When you see a block built dug out at say Goodison Park or Anfield it is the size of the average third bedroom in Redrow Town House ( the size of a broom cupboard ) and squeezed into are the Manager, his Assistant and the Coach who doubled as the man with the magic sponge ! ( I had Subbuteo team benches for both sides as a kid :):):) ) Then come forward to 2022 and asides from the far bigger and more luxuriant team bench : bench is a misnomer as the days of a wooden seat that would not do your rear end any good if you sat on it for 90 plus minutes are long gone ! : replaced by seats that look like something out of a top of the range car and behind them in the stands are some of the first team squad players, stats and medical people the " dug outs " look like a Stone Age relic !

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry. I was referring to when you rented your tv and changed to colour, there were only 3 channels available. :)
We were rather posh in Bushbury. We rented radio and TV from Rediffusion and both were fed by cables from the outside. To select what you wanted to listen to/watch you turned a separate wall mounted dial, not those on the radio or TV.

Football seemed more than decent on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331-084043.png
    Screenshot_20220331-084043.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 4

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another 2 shows on tomorrow but no Wolves. 10.30 - Dec 81,City v Villa and Soton v Utd. 11.30am - the chance to witness from Jan 82 life in the 2nd div, Oldham v Watford and from the 4th Div, Bradford v Hull, what a treat!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched Oldham v Watford from January 1982 ( that was shown last Saturday morning ) today with a life long mate and we are both 57 now and were laughing about how 40 years ago seemed a lifetime ago and how Health and Safety has changed things. Martin Tyler was the commentator and mentioned the end to the left of where the cameras were was closed due to ice making it unsafe ! Strewth the whole ground would be closed now ( remember when in Mick McCarthy's time the West Ham away game was called off with no more than a bad case of dandruff on the ground surrounding Upton Park ! ) What was also making us chuckle was there was a Mini Clubman Traveller Estate parked behind the goal line to the right were someone could easily have collided with it as there was a good covering of snow on the Boundary Park pitch. While those of us of a certain age moan about " Risk Assessments " and Health and Safety some of what went on back then was an accident in waiting, I don't mean playing on snow covered pitches with an orange ball and blue line markings but the parking of the Mini was plain daft !

The second match on was Forest at home to Birmingham City. What amused us in this game was the Forest fans throwing snow balls at Tony Coton. We both agreed it was brave to heave snowballs and bits of ice at the Blues keeper from behind a steel fence as I doubt many Forest fans would have done it otherwise as Mr Coton was a member of the Blues " Drinking Club " that according to people I knew in Birmingham at the time were not to messed with when out as they were shall we say a bit of a handful, Tony Coton, Robert Hopkins, Mick Harford, Mark Dennis, Gerry Daly ( I sat near to him in the stand at Plymouth in a League Cup game in which he and Robert Hopkins were not selected and he smoked more fags than the old Argentina manager Cesar Menotti ! ) and man mountain Noel Blake. There was a story that he and Tony Coton got into a ruck with some nightclub bouncers and Noel Blake allegedly put one of them through a plate glass window !!!

Back
Top Bottom