Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Big Match Re-visited - ITV 4 (ch 26) ITV 4 +1 (Ch 60)

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies but I don't know how to change a thread title so I've done a new thread for this topic. I had no idea these old programmes were being shown on ITV 4 usually around 6pm. They are classic Big Match shows from the 70s and 80s and will be well known to those of my age who loved the programme and esp Brian Moore. They usually show the highlights from 3 games. If people want me to I will put the detail of upcoming shows on here.
Mon 7th 12.15 Feb 77 Fulham ( Best, Marsh and Moore) v Charlton
Tue 8th 5.45 Feb 77 Arsenal v WHU
Wed 9th 5.45 Feb 77 FA Cup 4th Rd (?) Soton v Utd
Thu 10th 5.40 Mar 77 Chelsea v Blackpool + Utd v City
These shows will feature the likes of Liam Brady, Mick Channon, Colin Bell and for those of you too young to have seen these players you are in for a treat.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies but I don't know how to change a thread title so I've done a new thread for this topic. I had no idea these old programmes were being shown on ITV 4 usually around 6pm. They are classic Big Match shows from the 70s and 80s and will be well known to those of my age who loved the programme and esp Brian Moore. They usually show the highlights from 3 games. If people want me to I will put the detail of upcoming shows on here.
These shows will feature the likes of Liam Brady, Mick Channon, Colin Bell and for those of you too young to have seen these players you are in for a treat.
Sadly they only have 2or 3 seasons which they repeat over and over -but if you haven't seen them def worth a watch .

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the things I notice on these is that despite the terraces and the tribalism the atmosphere usually sounds really flat and the singing muted. Is it the case that people look back with rose tinted glasses or is it just that the sound is poorly done?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want to edit your thread, look just above the first post , to the right and you’ll see 3 dots with a down arrow. Press them and some options come up.

BTW, would luvvvvv to see those highlights…..Brian Moore was great.
I check YouTube.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the bar scarves, the away fans cheering amongst the home fans, no sponsors on shirts, ‘Rumbelows’ sponsor boards, horrendous muddy and sandy pitches that are unplayable today, 70s hair and moustaches, the awkward interviews in the studio with a player chewing gum, and the way Brian Moore reads out a handwritten letter each week, while dressed in a brown suit, sat in a brown studio, in shades of brown.

most games feature Tottenham, West Ham or Charlton. And all midland games have commentary by Hugh Johns.

i love the 70s!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed watching the series. Living in Wolverhampton we didn’t have “The Big Match” , we had the ATV midlands version “ Star Soccer”. Every Sunday afternoon we were glued to the highlights programme with commentator Hugh Johns and a post match summary or interview with our own Billy Wright. Originally it was only one local match, mainly from the First Division, but later on they had the goals from matches outside the midlands region. I was always annoyed that they were obsessed with Derby County, ( to be fair they did win the league twice in the 1970s).

Later on Gary Newbon hosted it, and of course later it featured Jimmy Greaves. I think it finally morphed into the Central match live.

These were the days when few highlights were recorded,and the tv companies were not allowed to advertise who they were featuring, until after the game. I was always excited when I turned up at Molineux and I could see the cameras were in the yellow TV box on the roof of the Waterloo Rd stand. The extra thrill of seeing the match on Match of the day or Star Soccer added to the magic ( provide we won).

The idea of seeing every game or even being able to record them was pure science fiction in the early 1970s . But seeing some of these games 40 or 50 years later brings it all back.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed watching the series. Living in Wolverhampton we didn’t have “The Big Match” , we had the ATV midlands version “ Star Soccer”. Every Sunday afternoon we were glued to the highlights programme with commentator Hugh Johns and a post match summary or interview with our own Billy Wright. Originally it was only one local match, mainly from the First Division, but later on they had the goals from matches outside the midlands region. I was always annoyed that they were obsessed with Derby County, ( to be fair they did win the league twice in the 1970s).

Later on Gary Newbon hosted it, and of course later it featured Jimmy Greaves. I think it finally morphed into the Central match live.

These were the days when few highlights were recorded,and the tv companies were not allowed to advertise who they were featuring, until after the game. I was always excited when I turned up at Molineux and I could see the cameras were in the yellow TV box on the roof of the Waterloo Rd stand. The extra thrill of seeing the match on Match of the day or Star Soccer added to the magic ( provide we won).

The idea of seeing every game or even being able to record them was pure science fiction in the early 1970s . But seeing some of these games 40 or 50 years later brings it all back.
Hugh Johns.. “way wide!”

Beer at home means Davenports, that‘s the beer, lot‘s of cheer… ad at halftime.

And then later, Ann Aston on The Golden Shot… left a bit… right a bit…

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Without going off topic, I had forgot all about the magnificent 90s central match live. It seemed like it was us v Derby or is v Blues every week. Good times.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it on a sunday afternoon. As I’m sure we used to have family roast and then watch it afterwards. Remember seeing myself on tv (was wearing a snorkel Parker and could just make it out ) sat in the front row of the molineux street stand. Happy days

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without going off topic, I had forgot all about the magnificent 90s central match live. It seemed like it was us v Derby or is v Blues every week. Good times.
Yes, we were probably on TV far more than we would have been on Sky had we gone up.. a very minor consolation for our lack of promotion.

Actually, the Central Match Live came a long while after Star Soccer highlights. After the 1982/83 season, ITV stopped bothering with regional highlights shows and simply showed The Big Match in all regions, which usually had one or two games, although these were no longer as London-centric as the previous incarnation of The Big Match that had been solely designed to serve the LWT region.

However, these ITV highlights shows faded out after the 1984/85 season as live games had already started being shown from October 1983 and quickly became the main focus of the broadcasters. Due to Wolves' beginning their struggles only 4 games were shown as highlights on ITV in the two seasons of regular highlights (i.e. 83/84 and 84/85).

MOTD showed Wolves highlights twice during 83/84 and that was your lot for seeing Wolves on MOTD until the FA Cup campaigns of the mid 1990s (even when we finally got back to the top flight it was the period in which ITV held the highlights and so we cropped up on The Premiership, complete with U2 theme tune and a million adverts).

The sports section on Central News/Midlands Today or magazine shows likes Football Focus (BBC) and Saint & Greavsie (ITV) offered pretty much the only glimpses of Wolves footage from then onward until the launch of the Premier League in 1992/93, which left ITV with only the remaining Football League clubs as options to show live. There were occasional Central Sports Specials during the midweek as the late 1980s became the early 90s, but initially usually these were only for League Cup ties and European matches.

Once ITV was left without the big names of the top flight they decided to regionalise the coverage once again and so you got the Central Match Live in the local region. Central actually had the favourable situation of having a whole heap of well-known clubs sat in the 2nd division for the much of the 90s to choose from.

For the 1996/97 season, Sky bought up most of the rights to the Football League as well and Central only got to show a small handful of live games (the 3-0 win at home to Man City with Dennison curling in the 3rd, and the 2-0 win over Tesco with Dean Richards' header were examples). ITV's only attempt at a highlights show during this period though was Football League Extra which would generally be shown at about 4 am on a Thursday night(!).

After that one season, any Wolves league games were solely live on Sky, with the one-off exception of 2001/02 when ITV made their ill-founded push to hype up the Football League in the hope that it would drive their struggling ITV Digital service. They therefore spent a fortune on the live rights, but of course went bust before the season even ended (the Norwich play-off games were shown unencrypted because they weren't allow to sell any new subscriptions having already called in the administrator). There had been plenty of live games and extended highlights of Wolves on their rather wonky digital service before its crash, plus they allowed local ITV regions to show a few games free to try and generate interest in the division (us beating Coventry 3-1 at home was such a fixture).

Last edited:

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved the way a powerful shot was “great drive”

And those disabled cars were also seen on the enormous track areas of Stamford Bridge.

Great days (until you tried to get to Piccadilly Station through Moss Side after an away win at Maine Road).

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it on a sunday afternoon. As I’m sure we used to have family roast and then watch it afterwards. Remember seeing myself on tv (was wearing a snorkel Parker and could just make it out ) sat in the front row of the molineux street stand. Happy days

I lived in The Big Match area and it was on at 2.30 and just like you it was Sunday dinner followed by the football. Being a Wolves fan I had to sit through the London team highlights first. Then hopefully it would followed by the great Brian Moore ( what a real football presenter should be like ! ) saying " Now time for our second match as Wolves take on ............. with your commentator Hugh Johns " To hear Hugh say " John Richards / Kenny Hibbitt / Derek Dougan one nothing Wolves " was the highlight of a daft young kid's week !

In case anyone has missed it Saturday morning on ITV 4 there is a " Big Match Revisited " from the 1980/81 season. The one Villa fans mention from time to time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Last Saturday there were highlights of a 3-1 away win for Wolves at Leeds on a quagmire of a pitch. The pitch technology available these days is fantastic when you see what they looked like back then in the winter months. Back to the Wolves win were John Richards, Andy Gray and Wayne Clarke scored the Wolves goals. John McAlle was like a one man wall as he seemed to block everything Leeds could throw at us !

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its the bar scarves, the away fans cheering amongst the home fans, no sponsors on shirts, ‘Rumbelows’ sponsor boards, horrendous muddy and sandy pitches that are unplayable today, 70s hair and moustaches, the awkward interviews in the studio with a player chewing gum, and the way Brian Moore reads out a handwritten letter each week, while dressed in a brown suit, sat in a brown studio, in shades of brown.

most games feature Tottenham, West Ham or Charlton. And all midland games have commentary by Hugh Johns.

i love the 70s!
Also that Brian Moore reads out the full address of the person sending the letter (Express and Star used to do that, although omitting the house number, in their letter page. Interesting replies received after a derogatory Wolves letter a friend and I had printed in the E and S!!).

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also that Brian Moore reads out the full address of the person sending the letter (Express and Star used to do that, although omitting the house number, in their letter page. Interesting replies received after a derogatory Wolves letter a friend and I had printed in the E and S!!).
yes! “And a Mr Terence Chadwick, from 24 Davenport Road, Tewkesbury, TW3 4DG, says why are Charlton and Derek Hales shown every week.”

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to say we are on the BMR tomorrow at 5.50pm, Chelsea v Wolves from May 77, repeated on Mon 21st at 12.30pm. We are on again on Tues 22nd at 12.30pm, Bolton v Wolves, again from May 77.
If that is the Bolton game where we wrapped up the title, the part that makes me chuckle is Sam Allardyce playing whilst chewing gum

Choking hazard

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
That was one bizarre game, but a great day out.
Unbeknown to me at the time but my wife who I had never met back then was actually stood next to me and my mates at the game .Over the years I mentioned where we were stood and she remembered us .Small world

Huge of Sharjah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unbeknown to me at the time but my wife who I had never met back then was actually stood next to me and my mates at the game .Over the years I mentioned where we were stood and she remembered us .Small world

Not casting any aspersions here but were you wearing your full refereeing kit?

If so, that may have been something that would aid her recollection of the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Not casting any aspersions here but were you wearing your full refereeing kit?

If so, that may have been something that would aid her recollection of the moment.
Nah but I wore it on our wedding night .She was desperate to blow my whistle :)
One of my mates had/has a deep booming voice which she remembered.The other thing was there was a standpipe with a tap,on the terrace which some Wolves fan kicked off and we all got sprayed because we were close by as was she with her dad and sister

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a quick look at the match on now, Chelsea v Sheff Utd, May 77. It's quite shocking looking back 45 years but the state of the pitch, the rambling old Stamford Bridge, those funny old light blue disability cars parked on the edge with people actually inside the vehicle watching! The football was quite exciting but all a bit kick and rush but a very young Tommy Langley scored for Chelsea; I remember him joining us but have little recollection of his performances; was that under Tommy Doc? A bit like the ticket stub thread, where have all the years gone?!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Had a quick look at the match on now, Chelsea v Sheff Utd, May 77. It's quite shocking looking back 45 years but the state of the pitch, the rambling old Stamford Bridge, those funny old light blue disability cars parked on the edge with people actually inside the vehicle watching! The football was quite exciting but all a bit kick and rush but a very young Tommy Langley scored for Chelsea; I remember him joining us but have little recollection of his performances; was that under Tommy Doc? A bit like the ticket stub thread, where have all the years gone?!
Coventry used to have quite a few of them too

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When they say football has become a bit more middle class , you can see why ?
I doubt too many Algernons and Arabellas turned up to watch that , in those stands .

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
When they say football has become a bit more middle class , you can see why ?
I doubt too many Algernons and Arabellas turned up to watch that , in those stands .
Seeing some of the footage of games in the 70’s and old pics from the 40’s/50’s and 60’s there were loads of men sat in the Molineux Street stand (Steve Bull) wearing jackets ,collar and tie .Men did back then

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Notlob / Wolves from the end of the 76/77 season is on ITV4 today (6pm)

I think losing this game caused them to miss out on promotion :)

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Wolves 1 Chelsea 1 on The Big Match Revisited things were different back in the seventies as there were none of those signs saying " Please whoever can I have your shirt " no in 1977 clearly as some bloke demonstrated you just run on grab hold of John Richards and wrestle the jersey from off King John's back !!!!!!!!!!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am watching the Big Match Revisited now, and the first game is Chelsea v Hull City. Bolton v Wolves to follow.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Chelsea v Hull and you can see why fences were eventually brought in.

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Notlob / Wolves from the end of the 76/77 season is on ITV4 today (6pm)

I think losing this game caused them to miss out on promotion :)
And allowed Forest to get promoted in 3rd place before winning the league the following season and then two European Cups!

I believe Forest were on a plane to ??Spain when they heard!

Clough must have really liked us as it was us beating Leeds that allowed Derby to win the league a few years previously!

You could argue that without the input of Wolves there would be no Cloughie legend!

Back
Top Bottom