Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think threads like this are good.

Like many, I was spitting feathers when he was appointed. I was ranting about it to my family, on here, and to the Wolves social media feeds. I don’t regret it, as based on the evidence we had, it looked an awful appointment, even more so when the prior Hobbs choice appeared to have been the self proclaimed genius Beale!

A few weeks in, I was even more angry, with excuses in pressers, and a team which appeared to be getting worse not better every week… that’s around the time of the poll which had 90%+ wanting him gone.

But after that nadir, and when he started playing 3 CB’s (yes I know Gary, it’s not all about systems and it’s not really a rigid back 3/5), we started getting results, and gradually started playing with more confidence and flair, and in recent games, even scoring with confidence. Alongside that, and to be fair to Gary, for pretty much the whole season, the team has looked happy and together in a way it hasn’t since before Covid. This all reached a peak over the three Christmas games, where we have been immense.

So, half way through season, I am happy to admit I was totally wrong. Gary looks the real deal. Tactically astute, able to motivate and lead his squad, and talks with intelligence and humility in his press conferences. I’m the most happy with our coach as I’ve been since pre Covid Nuno. What a difference a year makes.
I’m not sure the ‘evidence’ suggested an ‘ awful appointment’.
Yes, it was reasonable to be concerned but hardly anything, imo, to judge Gary either way. That was just my view of it at the time…….let’s see what happens.
I remember posting that he only had 4 or 5 games and it was too early to judge and maybe we should all not overreact.

But like you say, he’s improved the team and their confidence and where under JL and Lage we were reticent to venture into the other half , we now attack and attack. And many times with Gary , we’ve come from behind to draw or win.
Great days again.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it was reasonable to be concerned but hardly anything, imo, to judge Gary either way. That was just my view of it at the time…….let’s see what happens.
I remember posting that he only had 4 or 5 games and it was too early to judge and maybe we should all not overreact.

But like you say, he’s improved the team and their confidence and where under JL and Lage we were reticent to venture into the other half , we now attack and attack. And many times with Gary , we’ve come from behind to draw or win.
Great days again.

The public evidence when he was appointed, was his half season at Bournemouth. While he kept them up, Bournemouth fans said the football was poor, tactics erratic, and results lucky. We weren’t privy to how he came across to Hobbs, nor what the Bournemouth players thought. What we saw as Wolves fans in the first half dozen games didn’t exactly inspire, so I don’t think it was unreasonable for the majority of fans to be concerned - then. Happily, he’s since proven us wrong.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The public evidence when he was appointed, was his half season at Bournemouth. While he kept them up, Bournemouth fans said the football was poor, tactics erratic, and results lucky. We weren’t privy to how he came across to Hobbs, nor what the Bournemouth players thought. What we saw as Wolves fans in the first half dozen games didn’t exactly inspire, so I don’t think it was unreasonable for the majority of fans to be concerned - then. Happily, he’s since proven us wrong.
Agreed. The two negative things for me were his inexperience and the awful football his Bournemouth team played. His football this season has been better than what we’ve been seeing for a long time.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pah…..what do the Bournemouth fans know?……fools :) Pay them no mind,.

I agree, concern was appropriate at his appointment.

Anyway, Wolves are in a great pl e after only a few months with Gary.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
View attachment 39382

In that case here's the breakdown of my reaction score; I have 14 Angry reactions, which I am sure you'll agree is not quite 30,000. Perhaps my views aren't as unpopular as you think? Even then, this assumes "angry" or "sad" means a negative reaction to one's opinion, and not to one's tidings. Laughter could be laughing with you or at you, etc. The worst case scenario on this forum is apathy or being 'ratioed' (i.e. receiving more confrontational replies than positive emojis). That is better, more inclusive and more conducive to robust debate than having your posts downvoted into some digital abyss where they can no longer be seen.
Apologies. I stand corrected and withdraw my earlier comments.

I look forward to further good natured banter with you in the future.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great days again.
The 'evidence' was mainly from some half wit Bournemouth vlogger mate of Dazzling Dave.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair Bournemouth played horrible football last season.
Maybe, but the way that one video was latched upon to beat up the club was poor in my opinion.
I must admit to being no fan of Dazzling though, I find most of the people he talks to are high end dorks, and so I discount most of his stuff. Much prefer the young guy who does Talking Wolves.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Hwangy Cunha everybody. I wonder if JuLo is secretly looking at the Wolves results and having regrets…

With the way we are playing and the results so far I wonder if prospective suitors might now hesitate and potentially question Lopetegui’s ability to deal with a squad without spending bucket loads of cash, along with the way he reacts when he doesn’t get his own way.

Fair play to GON after initial reservations about his appointment I like the way he is quietly going about things with a certain amount of humility, especially his comments about fans possibly being underwhelmed about his appointment.

As well as the way we are currently playing I like the fact he seems to be proud to manage Wolves a feeling I never sensed with Lopetegui.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, but the way that one video was latched upon to beat up the club was poor in my opinion.
I must admit to being no fan of Dazzling though, I find most of the people he talks to are high end dorks, and so I discount most of his stuff. Much prefer the young guy who does Talking Wolves.
Yeah the talking wolves guys are all pretty good.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I agree entirely. JuLo could have damaged his “reputation”, such as it was.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 'evidence' was mainly from some half wit Bournemouth vlogger mate of Dazzling Dave.
I disagree. He was not a half wit as you say but quite erudite and someone who had witnessed GON at first hand for about 30 games (I think). Myself and others locked on to him as we had little or no knowledge of GON as a manager and were desperately trying to find out about him. In hindsight we should have taken his comments on board but not perhaps latched on to them so readily. Many of us on here have been made to look quite foolish by our earlier comments about GON and we are happy to hold our hands up. I hope this year the Mix has far less of the 'know it all' and the 'told you so' merchants on it.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would just like to wish this thread a Happy 2 Week birthday.

Football comes at you fast.
I'll re-re-re-(re? I'm lost) reverse the thread when required, dow worry about that.

The 2023 table's got me worried though (just as I was feeling more positive as well ) Worst away form in the league, joint-worst away defence and 3rd worst GD. Puts so much pressure on the home form, if that wobbles, things start to get emotional.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair they were playing football to keep themselves in the division
If they hadn’t they’d have been relegated.
So did Lopetegui.

giphy.gif

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. He was not a half wit as you say but quite erudite and someone who had witnessed GON at first hand for about 30 games (I think). Myself and others locked on to him as we had little or no knowledge of GON as a manager and were desperately trying to find out about him. In hindsight we should have taken his comments on board but not perhaps latched on to them so readily. Many of us on here have been made to look quite foolish by our earlier comments about GON and we are happy to hold our hands up. I hope this year the Mix has far less of the 'know it all' and the 'told you so' merchants on it.
If some folk didn't shoot their mouth off prematurely and so bombastically there would no "told you so merchants"

Hopefully therefore the usual gob****es will keep a lid on it this year and peace will be upon us

As if

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If some folk didn't shoot their mouth off prematurely and so bombastically there would no "told you so merchants"

Hopefully therefore the usual gob****es will keep a lid on it this year and peace will be upon us

As if
Exactly. Had no issue with folk being unsure, sceptical or worried when GON took over, it was the constant abuse, insults, and absolute tripe I read that ****ed me off.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mostly fair comment there, the half wit comment was based on my bias against Dazzling Dave's presentations which I admitted to in a later post.
I'll say no more about that having been told off by mixers who hold the opposite views.

:cool:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You say this like Bournemouth didn't lose their last four once they were safe...

Come on Jefe, neither of need this continuing into another year!

Look, I appreciate it’s been a tough Xmas for the disciples, a “fraud PE teacher” going ahead of the saviours PPG average and absolutely battering his goals per game average but you need to let it go.

You’re gutted Loppy isn’t here anymore, I’m glad. Just going to have to agree to disagree cus I’m sure the rest of the forum are pretty clear on our views by now!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mostly fair comment there, the half wit comment was based on my bias against Dazzling Dave's presentations which I admitted to in a later post.
I'll say no more about that having been told off by mixers who hold the opposite views.

Tbh I've lost track of all the people I've fallen out with on here over the years and I can't remember if you're one of them but as I get older I'm definitely mellowing and more able to listen to and often accept their views even if different to mine. My New Year's resolution regarding the Mix is to try to temper my views and be more considerate to my fellow Wolves fans. With that in mind GH I wish you and your family a very happy new year!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh I've lost track of all the people I've fallen out with on here over the years and I can't remember if you're one of them but as I get older I'm definitely mellowing and more able to listen to and often accept their views even if different to mine. My New Year's resolution regarding the Mix is to try to temper my views and be more considerate to my fellow Wolves fans. With that in mind GH I wish you and your family a very happy new year!
Blimey! At this rate, in a few years I can see you stepping into @Mutchy’s shoes as chief moderator.

FWIW, I like your forthright views (despite disagreeing with some of them). Great entertainment… and that is 100% not meant patronisingly.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey! At this rate, in a few years I can see you stepping into @Mutchy’s shoes as chief moderator.

FWIW, I like your forthright views (despite disagreeing with some of them). Great entertainment… and that is 100% not meant patronisingly.
That's kind, thank you. Tbh I've had my run ins with Mutchy over the years but one thing I've learnt is, she always wins!

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I appreciate that and all the best to you and yours.
From memory I don't believe you've had a go at me before, but I know for sure I've given you a few jabs, we're probably similar in the curmudgeonly tendencies.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm so glad we have GON and not Lopetegui now, but I feel we should be thankful for the job lopetegui did, we were dead certs to go down until he came and he brought in some brilliant signings: Gomes, Cunha, Lemina, Dawson, Sarabia.

Also we did have a few good moments under Lage, we reached a point where we were competing with Arsenal for a european place but then we lost 2-1 to them in the last minute and it all went to zhit from then on

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I've already had a word with myself about the pointlessness of arguing about it any more, but just to say there few fans who actually thought O'Neil was a good appointment. I think the poll was something like 93% against when he was actually appointed. You get more than 7% for almost anything the club do, just blind loyalty.

So the split wasn't really between people who thought he was good or bad. It was between people who thought Fosun had shafted Lopetegui and then made a cheap and bad appointment, and people who thought Lopetegui had shafted Wolves and Fosun had done their best to find a suitable replacement in difficult circumstances.

I happily admit that I thought we'd be playing fairly dire relegation avoiding football. Absolutely delighted with what we're watching, there have been some ups and downs, but the trend is definitely towards improvement which is all any of us ever really ask for.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on Jefe, neither of need this continuing into another year! Look, I appreciate it’s been a tough Xmas for the disciples, a “fraud PE teacher” going ahead of the saviours PPG average and absolutely battering his goals per game average but you need to let it go. You’re gutted Loppy isn’t here anymore, I’m glad. Just going to have to agree to disagree cus I’m sure the rest of the forum are pretty clear on our views by now!
To be fair, I've never called Gary a PE Teacher; I think it's a stupid thing to say about a professional football manager. And I was one of what felt like fifty people who didn't want him sacked circa that now infamous poll. If he continues to improve, my broken heart over Loppy will mend...

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was massively wrong about Gary after the loss at Ipswich I was very critical im ashamed to say,

Safe to say since then he has done remarkable, the bloke didn't have much time with the players and took over in difficult circumstances. He has improved players no end RAN, Semedo, Cunha, Neto,Hwang, Gomes have all came on since he took over and the players seem to really enjoy playing for him and we actually enjoy the football Wolves are producing both Everton and Brentford would have been games we may have lost in the last 2/3 years but we've beat them both comfortably add in he has rebuilt relations between management, fans and the team in a similar way Nuno managed to do.

His challenge will be building his own team which he hasn't had to do before, I'm sure him and Hobbs it will be fine.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you very much, I appreciate that and all the best to you and yours.
From memory I don't believe you've had a go at me before, but I know for sure I've given you a few jabs, we're probably similar in the curmudgeonly tendencies.

That's kind, thank you. Tbh I've had my run ins with Mutchy over the years but one thing I've learnt is, she always wins!
Ugh…
Good grief guys…….knock off all this ‘nice’ stuff, will ya?
Next thing somebody will call for a group hug and start singing Kumbayya :)

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ugh…
Good grief guys…….knock off all this ‘nice’ stuff, will ya?
Next thing somebody will call for a group hug and start singing Kumbayya :)
Uugh school assemblies 40 years ago signing Kumbayya.

Back
Top Bottom