Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The 3 relegation spots -who's going down ?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has bought into the narrative that Fulham have improved. I almost did myself for a bit, until I checked and saw they haven't won since November. This was a few games ago. Still not won.
Fulham remind me of our season in the prem under Dave Jones. Few decent players but the rest arent good enough. They keep going but dont have enough quality

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has bought into the narrative that Fulham have improved. I almost did myself for a bit, until I checked and saw they haven't won since November. This was a few games ago. Still not won.
"Yes but when Fulham win the next four games and we lose two they will be above us."

Is what you will hear; it could happen but is highly unlikely.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
J

It really amazed me how many people on here and in the media seem to think the likes of Fulham and West Brom can string wins together.
Especially Fulham the media had them down as on a good run on form, all they were doing was playing better than they were 6 months ago, conceding less goals, ok drawing some games but never looked like winning any of them.
When you actually look at the table and see they've won 2 games all season you quickly realise theres absolutly nothing to be concerned about.
Albion have conceded more goals than any team in the top 5 divisions in Europe. They arent reversing that trend adding midfielders and forwards to the squad.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With our season going to absolute nothingness it does feel the right timing if there is such a thing.

a) gives us space to tinker and develop. It's a little easier to have patience watching us struggle in the current climate.

b) we aren't missing a golden season whilst feeling like it's not really happening.

Our Champions League fight/ europa league matches just didn't feel right last season even though they were such important days for us as a club.

I can't wait for the start of this coming August.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham remind me of our season in the prem under Dave Jones. Few decent players but the rest arent good enough. They keep going but dont have enough quality
The big difference with the Dave Jones team was that a lot of our quality players were either aging and struggled to last more than 75mins or injured (Matt Murray and Joleon Lescott missed the whole season, Kenny Miller missed the start and we were already struggling by the time he returned).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crucial match for Fulham tonight, against Leicester. If they can win that, they give themselves a chance. At least of catching Brighton or Newcastle. Whisper it, but on 26pts with 16 matches to go, I think we might be safe now. :)

Both us and Newcastle have overturned the form book these last couple of days. I'm sure there will be some twists before the end, because it has been a crazy season. Any team could pull out a totally unexpected result (e.g. even albion have had a couple!) and any team could go on a winless run. Look at southampton - they beat Liverpool but now have lost 4 matches since. With a worse injury problem than us, even they are not quite safe yet, especially after the 9-0 hammering.
Normal service resumed by Newcastle against Palace. I just hope that we don't do the same against Leicester.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a massive surprise if Sheff Utd escaped, they are nowhere near as bad as their position suggests and when you look close twelve of their defeats have been by one goal.

Newcastle look a horror show, they could be the one caught napping if somebody claws out of that mess.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a massive surprise if Sheff Utd escaped, they are nowhere near as bad as their position suggests and when you look close twelve of their defeats have been by one goal.

Newcastle look a horror show, they could be the one caught napping if somebody claws out of that mess.

Newcastle are a strange club at the moment. On all those "XG" and "WhoScored" stats, they have been around the bottom for last season, as well as this. Yet until recently, they'd been grinding out the results despite playing abysmally (we know all about them doing that).

Then suddenly, after a really bad run that had them heading for the drop zone, they pulled out a really good showing and beat Everton. I've only seen highlights and read about their Palace match, however it seems Newcastle played well and created loads of chances (more than they normally do in a couple of months!) but couldn't score. Maybe they had a "clear the air" meeting, too?

Sheff U have been a bit unlucky, though I doubt as unlucky as us so far in terms of injuries and every decision possible against you (until the Arsenal match). I think they are too far behind too escape, but will overtake Albion, maybe even Fulham before the season ends.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can’t help thinking those lucky stripey ****s will still escape

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still can’t help thinking those lucky stripey ****s will still escape
luck is nicking a game, not pulling back a 11 point deficit. Theyve actually regressed under Sam before they were losing, now they are getting hammered. These last two games are a massive psychological blow for them. Its two games they would target for points and they got 1. Next up Tottenham then Man United.

The rotund lady in the corner is warming up her vocals.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this season, the points required to be safe would be around 36points instead of the usual 40. The bottom 3 teams have low points considering that only 15 matches remain to be played, except for Fulham which have 16 matches left. Even at the top of the premiership the champion will have around 85 points, unless City will continue to win every match.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After spending the past few weeks frantically checking relegation odds and being worried about being caught by Fulham, I'm feeling relatively secure now.

The bottom 3 are so adrift that it would take a monumental collapse by anyone 17th and above to change them. They would need to pick up almost a point per game extra over the rest of the season.

Obviously we still need to acquire 10ish more points to be safe, but one finds it hard to argue we won't do that from 16 games.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
J

It really amazed me how many people on here and in the media seem to think the likes of Fulham and West Brom can string wins together.
Especially Fulham the media had them down as on a good run on form, all they were doing was playing better than they were 6 months ago, conceding less goals, ok drawing some games but never looked like winning any of them.
When you actually look at the table and see they've won 2 games all season you quickly realise theres absolutly nothing to be concerned about.
We've won 7 games so far this season, which is the same amount as the bottom 3 combined and that's with horrendous injuries.

With a decent striker now in, I'd be surprised and very disappointed if we don't get more points than Fulham and The s### combined over the rest of the season.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that things are looking a lot better over the course of the last week. However this is Wolves we are talking about. My brain keeps telling me that over the course of the last few decades a fair few teams come from out of nowhere from the bottom three and someone gets sucked in. None of us should be complacent. Mind you I think Newcastle are the prime candidates to be sucked in.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
luck is nicking a game, not pulling back a 11 point deficit. Theyve actually regressed under Sam before they were losing, now they are getting hammered. These last two games are a massive psychological blow for them. Its two games they would target for points and they got 1. Next up Tottenham then Man United.

The rotund lady in the corner is warming up her vocals.
They are 17/2 to stay up with Betfair. I’ve taken one for the team with £20. ( I hope !)

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we can start to play without fear of relegation. This should help .

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Bolton, Burnley or Oldham, and if not you may have to tell me as this could go on forever.
Deepdale. We were 3-0 down at half time in the league cup when we were in second division (on our way to the fourth) Preston mustn’t have been in the third.

there were about 29 of us and it was raining - somebody came back from the toilet and said they’re driving milk floats down there... when the steward told them to get out we asked if they would let us out and he laughed and said no chance go back and suffer - and we’re going to keep you in for you own safety for 15mins.

strangely don’t remember final score could have been 3-0

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deepdale. We were 3-0 down at half time in the league cup when we were in second division (on our way to the fourth) Preston mustn’t have been in the third.

there were about 29 of us and it was raining - somebody came back from the toilet and said they’re driving milk floats down there... when the steward told them to get out we asked if they would let us out and he laughed and said no chance go back and suffer - and we’re going to keep you in for you own safety for 15mins.

Completely misread your original post lol. I'd actually thought that you were saying that they'd been kept at Molineux and was thinking what the heck l knew nothing about that! Duh!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank heavens for that, you could have had me going around the British Isles until nex Christmas. ;)

I played at Deepdale back in the late 80's when they had a plastic pitch.
Preston had laid an all-weather pitch in 1986 to try to generate some extra income for the club by renting the pitch to local teams to play on.
Our branch of the company based in Stoke on Trent arranged to play the Manchester branch and we hired the pitch one Saturday afternoon during Summer.
Can't remember the score although I think we got beat, but I do remember it feeling eerie playing in a big old wooden stadium in front of no one.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that things are looking a lot better over the course of the last week. However this is Wolves we are talking about. My brain keeps telling me that over the course of the last few decades a fair few teams come from out of nowhere from the bottom three and someone gets sucked in. None of us should be complacent. Mind you I think Newcastle are the prime candidates to be sucked in.
Only once ever has a team amassed more than 40 points and gone down
Only 3 teams have ever gone down with 40 points or more
Average points to stay up 37
The bottom three currently have lower points than normal at this stage in the season
Anyone of the bottom 3 would need to more than double their current points per game ratio to get anywhere near that total
Of course that all means nothing except we need 4 more wins or more to make it extremely hard to be caught by any of those teams
So 16 games to get 12 or more points,i find it difficult to see how we will fail to do that even with how we have been playing
We are Wolves of course and will make it hard for ourselves somehow,but im over my concern for the moment at least

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking back over the last 10 years the current bottom 3 have the least amount of points collectively of any three teams over that time at the same stage of the season. That even accounts for the year Portsmouth were deducted 10 points. In that time Wigan in 11/12 had the lowest points total (15) and avoid relegation. Even then the table was concertinered and the team in 17th was only 4 points clear. So basically for Albion, Sheff U and Fulham to escape they need to achieve something that hasn’t been achieved in the last 10 years and they have the biggest gap between them and safety of any of the teams that have saved themselves in that time.

Interestingly (or not) we have 3 points less than we had two seasons ago having won a game more and lost one more. We are 5 points worse off than last season having won the same number of games (7) but not drawn as many.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

First World War was a little before my time but I’m not sure blind faith and ignoring what was happening would have done anyone any good :tearsofjoy:
You feeling shell-shocked Manic?
Here’s to keeping the blind faith as it seems to be working.
By the way, just in case you don’t know, Dendonker was born in a little village called Passchendaele, and he seems to be a pretty good ally to have in our trench.

Back
Top Bottom