Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Teflon Connor remains Assistant Manager....

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
....according to a tweet by Fielden, and apparantly confirmed by the OS.

I'm disappointed that TC is still here and especially in that capacity. It seems he just can't do badly enough.

That said, I hope everyone forms a successful partnership and we can get this division cracked again.

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Job for life, no matter how badly he performs, only wish we all had it that cushy.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Job for life, no matter how badly he performs, only wish we all had it that cushy.
And what kind of message does that send out to all connected to the club.
I am so disappointed that Stale is coming out and stating his backing before he has time to see if there is anything to the guy.
I think we all hope that Stale is going to be a success but I do fear that Morgan has not learnt his lesson yet. If Stale and Lange are a talented managerial partnership they may have their work out with the tools they have been given to work with.

W

WasStefan

Really don't understand the Terry Connor hate. Blame Moxey/Morgan for appointing him as manager FFS. He's obviously a good and well respected coach else Stale wouldn't keep him on.

Everyone deserves a second chance.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the first thing Stale needs is to know the players, and how to get the best out of them - no one knows that better than TC - if I was coming into this job, that's exactly what I would do. Once things settle down - SS can decide what to do about that role. The coaching and the management will be Stale's way, particularly with Lange one of Stale's key people coming - I don't know how anyone can doubt that. The assistant will do the job the manager tells him, simple as. If he doesn't, Stale will recommend getting rid, and bring his own guy in.

I honestly don't see what all the vitriolic pant-wetting is about. Let Stale do his job FFS

W

wanderer24

Somebody give Mick a job so he can take TC with him

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the first thing Stale needs is to know the players, and how to get the best out of them - no one knows that better than TC - if I was coming into this job, that's exactly what I would do. Once things settle down - SS can decide what to do about that role. The coaching and the management will be Stale's way, particularly with Lange one of Stale's key people coming - I don't know how anyone can doubt that. The assistant will do the job the manager tells him, simple as. If he doesn't, Stale will recommend getting rid, and bring his own guy in.

I honestly don't see what all the vitriolic pant-wetting is about. Let Stale do his job FFS

ahem..

W

wolvo_boi

The whole point of a fresh start and everyone starting with a clean slate is that EVERY single player starts with a score of big fat zero when Stale starts day 1 of training.

TC being there will know the players yes . . . the ones that werent good enough last year . . .

TC - 'Stale that David Edwards is a good player, he works his socks off'

Stale - 'What about that Nenad guy, he can pick a pass cant he?'

TC - 'Yeh he isnt bad i suppose, but look at Dave, he can run all day'

Stale - 'How come that young lad who plays on the wing and the Algerian fella were out on loan, they look like they have a bit of something about them, game changers possibly'

TC - 'Bit too unpredictable boss, they try things that sometimes dont come off'

Stale - 'I see, what about Ronaldo though, he was a bit unpredictable wasnt he?'

TC - 'I suppose your right boss, but Dave Edwards knows the way we play, he plays it simple and wont do anything too showboat'

Stale - 'What you mean like trying to win the game?'

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will simply never move truly forward as a club whilst the likes of Connor, Edwards, Berra, Ward etc remain here.

I didnt expect an overnight cull the minute Stale walked thriough the door, howvever if we start this new season withouit making hardly any inroads into getting rid of the dead wood from the MM era, i will be very dissapointed.

W

wolfyjoe

$$$$ manager but quite obviously a decent second in command and will have loads of knowledge of the Championship with which to help Stale.

People just moan because we haven't got a backroom staff line up of Ray Wilkins, Damien Commolli, Gary Neville, Peter Schmeichel and that's just not exciting enough. Show some ambition, Wolves! This Solbakken bloke is gonna turn Elokobi, Ward, Davis, Berra et al into the new Barcelona and he wont be able to do it with TC around.

D

Deleted member 3545

this may be the board or the 2M's saying TC has to stay and who ever the new manager is has to work wirh good old "Mr Wolves"

B

basshead

Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way. Perhaps he is assistant manager but in the traditional sense, he may be there to assist the manager with Stale's decisions and the tactics chosen by the new guy. This may not be a bad thing, he know ths players and he knows this league which the new team will not.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somebody give Mick a job so he can take TC with him

That's why I don't understand why we have only brought one coach in. It appears a little bit risky considering when Mick gets a job he will take Connor, Daley and the scouts with him. We may as well revamp now.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think many if any of the staff would follow mick. Maybe his mate the scout but if conner's got the no2 job with us why would he leave to be no2 somewhere else?? He has stated he likes being at wolves so unless he's forced out i can see him staying within the coaching staff even if he ends up going back to more of a coaching role. He's obviously a very good coach so I too can't understand the hatred towards him.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep him until stale is up to date with english football and then let him coach away.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think many if any of the staff would follow mick. Maybe his mate the scout but if conner's got the no2 job with us why would he leave to be no2 somewhere else?? He has stated he likes being at wolves so unless he's forced out i can see him staying within the coaching staff even if he ends up going back to more of a coaching role. He's obviously a very good coach so I too can't understand the hatred towards him.
As always Ashley its a matter of opinions. I happen to be in the camp that feels he is a poor coach who has been part of what we consider underachievement over the years under poor managers. Its not hatred its just the fact that we dont want him here.
I do agree with you that unlike many its not a foregone conclusion that if Mick gets another job the staff here will follow.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TC can stay and do the laundry for all I care as long as he's not coaching and has no input in the team beyond being the younger players' babysitter.

I imagine Stale would limit TC's role to one who helps the manager get settled and navigate the club. I imagine Stale's real no.2 (as in the coach of the team) is the young fella he brought over from FC Copenhagen.

TC has been with the club a really long time and I'm sure that factors in the decision to keep him around to pick up litter and make sure the kettle's always boiling.

What concerns me is our limited scouting network, we need to get rid of the Irish brigade and bring in a new scout team that can look both North and South for prospective young talent, and not just West.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out what the assistant manager does that the first team coach doesn't........... and vice versa.
A lot of knives out for TC. I can understand that in some ways it might be best for all if he made a new start somewhere else, but if he sticks to what he does best he could still be an asset for Wolves.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As always Ashley its a matter of opinions. I happen to be in the camp that feels he is a poor coach who has been part of what we consider underachievement over the years under poor managers. Its not hatred its just the fact that we dont want him here.
I do agree with you that unlike many its not a foregone conclusion that if Mick gets another job the staff here will follow.

So poor a coach that 4 managers choose to keep in on the coaching team??? I think he's best placed on the training pitch working with the players under a regime constructed by an actual manager! We all know he didn't stand much of a chance when he got shoehorned into the top job and that really shouldn't sway the opinion of him at what he's best at which is being a coach. Can conner be to blame for jones not having the money? Hoddle not having the players? And mick sticking to players that quite clearly weren't up to it??

D

Dewsburywolf

All those in the "Hurry up Mick, get another job & take TC off our hands" camp are aware that TC was here long before Mick arrived aren't you? Why didn't he leave when John Ward (the manager who IIRC brought him here) left? when Jones left? when Hoddle left?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Long playing record perhaps but Joleon Lescott one of the few English players to emerge from the Euro's with his reputation enhanced and one of the best English players on the world stage today, praises Terry Connor for the assistance and advise he gave him as a young player. I seem to recall that they still talk after matches about his (JL's) performance on the day. If a player of Lescott's quality values Terry Connors ability so highly and it would now appear that SS has made a judgement call (admittedly at this stage on less clear cut evidence), I tend towards the ability of these two gentlemen rather than the moan and groan symposium on here looking for TC's head.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So poor a coach that 4 managers choose to keep in on the coaching team??? I think he's best placed on the training pitch working with the players under a regime constructed by an actual manager! We all know he didn't stand much of a chance when he got shoehorned into the top job and that really shouldn't sway the opinion of him at what he's best at which is being a coach. Can conner be to blame for jones not having the money? Hoddle not having the players? And mick sticking to players that quite clearly weren't up to it??
But that is what I am saying. You can disagree with me but he has stayed under the regime of poor managers. I am just trying to explain how we feel. I acknowledge its not your opinion.
We would also have to define what a coach or a manager would be responsible for.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken will have been hounded out by the end of the pre-season friendlies when we dont put at least 5 past everyone, so Connor is well placed to step back into the hotseat.:eek:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Long playing record perhaps but Joleon Lescott one of the few English players to emerge from the Euro's with his reputation enhanced and one of the best English players on the world stage today, praises Terry Connor for the assistance and advise he gave him as a young player. I seem to recall that they still talk after matches about his (JL's) performance on the day. If a player of Lescott's quality values Terry Connors ability so highly and it would now appear that SS has made a judgement call (admittedly at this stage on less clear cut evidence), I tend towards the ability of these two gentlemen rather than the moan and groan symposium on here looking for TC's head.
If Connor had been anywhere as good as lescott or yourself are trying to make out he would have been poached by another club a long time ago. Bobby Mimms was thought of as a good goalkeeping coach and I think we have suffered from losing him.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Jones and McCarthy had their strengths as managers. Both certainly are solid Champion managers both of whom have had an extended period managing a Premiership club. I have no doubt if they were again to find themselves at clubs with resources that they would take them back to the Premiership and do better at such clubs that there period at the Wolves would suggest.

D

Dewolf

If Connor had been anywhere as good as lescott or yourself are trying to make out he would have been poached by another club a long time ago. Bobby Mimms was thought of as a good goalkeeping coach and I think we have suffered from losing him.

So are you saying you know more about his ability as a coach than Lescott?

What exactly, is your opinion of the man based on?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I to take from your comments OW that you have already lost faith in SS's stewardship in view of the fact that he has re-appointed Terry?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely TC will be assisting our new manager with information on clubs and players in this league. I doubt SS knows much about them.
Nothing wrong in that. The actual 1st team tactics and training will surely be carried out by the Norwegians.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Funnily enough the only thing you can base it on..........results and observation of what the players do on the pitch.
It doesn't matter what you and I think it is what happens during the match and over the last three seasons we have become less effective. .
Lescott was young and impressionable and is probably basing it on that. Lescott moved on to advance his career. Connor has not.

M

Monkey Man

This is what is wrong at Wolves, they say change but only change one part of a bigger problem, when it fails again will they keep TC and the other failures?

We need a complete change of system where someone near the top has a knowledge of football and is planning for the future.

Strategy seems to be a word that Wolves rarely use on or off the pitch.

M

Metro Wolf 2007

When Solbakken tells the players something they dont like, if the players go to TC and the board try one bit of persuasion over Solbakken its all over. Gone by Christmas. You cannot have two bosses. It could be a horrible and entirely predictable mess. Hence why I have not renewed my ST. It seems muddled thinking.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I to take from your comments OW that you have already lost faith in SS's stewardship in view of the fact that he has re-appointed Terry?
No I am looking forward to seeing him work and obviously hope he will bring us better days. I have reservations about the present set up and I want to see the best that we can get in every department.
I do think that Stale could do with someone who knows the English game such as Kevin MacDonald but that should be Stale's choice.
I think you will find that it is the board who re-appointed Connor and Stale has affirmed that he has confidence in him.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
..I imagine Stale would limit TC's role to one who helps the manager get settled and navigate the club. I imagine Stale's real no.2 (as in the coach of the team) is the young fella he brought over from FC Copenhagen..

I agree with this part.

When do you ever hear a pro criticise a member of the fraternity?

And as others have said if he is as good as some say why hasn`t he been offered/poached elsewhere. These things normally come to light after a few years.

W

we8wba

With using an obvious pun it's all gone stale here (no not the gaffer)

We need fresh blood, fresh ideas to spruce up the remaining rabble to perform

Not the same old comfort zone to many are in!!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Funnily enough the only thing you can base it on..........results and observation of what the players do on the pitch.
It doesn't matter what you and I think it is what happens during the match and over the last three seasons we have become less effective.

Don't the results and observation of what the players do on the pitch suggest that he is an excellent coach at Championship level (but has struggled in the top flight)? I'd also suggest that it was only really last season that we became less effective (our second season in the Premier League, especially the second half of it, was a definite improvement on what had gone before).

I fully understand the argument for having a completely fresh start on the coaching side, but equally I can appreciate the logic of having Connor around to help Solbakken gain a greater knowledge of the squad and the Championship. As long as Solbakken is the one who is ultimately calling the shots on our style of play and team selection, I don't think it is too big an issue.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't the results and observation of what the players do on the pitch suggest that he is an excellent coach at Championship level (but has struggled in the top flight)? I'd also suggest that it was only really last season that we became less effective (our second season in the Premier League, especially the second half of it, was a definite improvement on what had gone before).

I fully understand the argument for having a completely fresh start on the coaching side, but equally I can appreciate the logic of having Connor around to help Solbakken gain a greater knowledge of the squad and the Championship. As long as Solbakken is the one who is ultimately calling the shots on our style of play and team selection, I don't think it is too big an issue.
But the information Connor passes on may be tainted and has been voiced by many we need a fresh look. I have worked in an organisation where one manager would give his opinion on someone he doesn't like to a new manager which gave a bias view which stuck.

Back
Top Bottom