Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team vs Luton

LetTheBullLoose

Reaction score
Thats lucky then or we would already been bottom after playing the relegation certs and a Mickey Mouse league outfit that could have run riot it they too had a clinical finisher.

We buy a striker or we're utterly ****** it's really that simple. All the various formation threads is just shifting the chairs on the Titanic. Name one Premier side that Hodge would get into, or who wouldn't have run out of patience with Hwang?
Hodge and Hwang would both get in that Luton team.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Thanks - same page.

I don’t disagree re Nunes but not certain where he fits then. Unless he has a monster next to him there is a mistake in him in CM with one dribble too many (RAN has a similar risk at LB). Not seen Scott so cannot comment on his ability. Is the AM a no 10 (which is where Cunha and Silva are effectively playing). How would you set team up?
I’ve been out at work this morning, and I’ve been trying to figure a line up, I don’t know how you feel about playing a back 5 away from home, and using the counter attack plan. This coming weekend against Rennes could tell us a lot more about what we’ve got and how best to play them. I’m still worried about our left cover, could ran be used as a forward left player. But then what happens to Neto.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst not scoring is perhaps a concern, so many games last season we didn’t even have a shot of note or would score from our one chance. Last night we had shots and opportunities.

Out of interest did the players train yesterday morning? If they did they may have been a little jaded. Remember we drew with Shrewsbury in Nuno’s first season and people were very concerned and it turned out they’d had a training session that day and were knackered but Nuno wanted them to play tired.

The likes of Sasa won’t be match fit so will possibly snatch at opportunities which they won’t once they are up to speed with the game. His goal scoring record is good so he knows where the net is.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you play Silva, Sasa sand Cunha in the same 11?

Maybe with Cunha on the wing but I wouldn't want too. Means we have no back up options on the bench and who's going to be creating the chances.

I didn't like Sasa and Silva upfront last night, we looked way too ridged going forward, I think we need one of them playing with Cunha or Sarabia off them to help us play though the middle.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think Bueno is good enough defensively yet and isnt as good as Giles in an attacking sense. We should have loaned out Bueno for a season and kept Giles.
It does seem like insanity to sell Giles, who is a better crosser of the ball than anyone we have, when you have a 6'7" centre forward.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.

I like Giles and was really disappointed to learn we were selling him, but I've never seen him as a left back. He's an old fashioned winger who was shoehorned into a left wing back role in a competitive side on the front foot chasing promotion, and that's where his shortfalls are hidden or tolerated.

For Luton last night, our better chances were fashioned in behind him. And that's as a wing-back, where there's a bit more protection. For us, it wouldn't be a good fit. And when you look at him in his natural position, left-wing, we seem to be favouring narrower inside forwards and a more centrally-focused attacking schema, which isn't Giles' natural game, so I can understand why Julen has moved him (and Chiquinho) on, even despite being very effective and I think a player who will go on to establish himself in the Premier League.
agree with all of that but Giles and Chiquinho as options on the bench with Sasa and Fabio up front to chase a game with 20 mins left might be good.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but I think we all know, from last seasons selections that JL clearly sees the modern Premier League as more than an 11 a side game with reserves, or back up, on the bench. He clearly wants to be able to use his squad tactically and I get the feeling that is not going to change. He did not have enough quality to always do this effectively last year, but I don't think he necessarily wants to just have the same starting 11 irrespective of the opposition, or that he wants players to have that mindset either.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst not scoring is perhaps a concern, so many games last season we didn’t even have a shot of note or would score from our one chance. Last night we had shots and opportunities.

Out of interest did the players train yesterday morning? If they did they may have been a little jaded. Remember we drew with Shrewsbury in Nuno’s first season and people were very concerned and it turned out they’d had a training session that day and were knackered but Nuno wanted them to play tired.

The likes of Sasa won’t be match fit so will possibly snatch at opportunities which they won’t once they are up to speed with the game. His goal scoring record is good so he knows where the net is.
Spot on. Fabio hasn’t played properly for a few weeks either. My concern will be if the gap between the forwards and midfield starts getting larger and we stop creating chances to miss and leave the forwards isolated.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sasa’s movement really impressed me last night. He has that knack of getting into space.

The chance he had in the first half where he peeled away from the defender and called for RAN to hit the long ball in behind is something we have not had in a long time.

If he can stay fit I can see him getting a good number of goals.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed that bit of action, fitness good just sharpen up a little
To have seen that many shots and quality of chances last season you’d have probably watched 20 games. Our highlights are over 6 minutes whilst Luton’s are 2.30 minutes which also includes some of our chances. Think that explains the nature of the game.

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Loads of positives again watching that highlights video felt like the whole of last seasons chances created in 90 minutes!

I know it was ‘only Luton’ but once again we had a lot of men forward in the attacks, we will score more goals this season I’m sure of it.

I want to see us having a go this year, entertain us JL!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think Bueno is good enough defensively yet and isnt as good as Giles in an attacking sense. We should have loaned out Bueno for a season and kept Giles.
I don’t see how that works as defensively Giles is way behind Bueno, keeping him and having to play him in a back 4 would be an utter disaster. Out of the 3 left backs we had, Bueno is the best defensively. In my eyes we definitely got rid of the right one

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think you can, yes. Both of them buzzing around the big ****-off pivot, Sasa.

Would need the fullbacks to provide the width, so the more forward minded Doherty over Semedo and Bueno over Toti, with the DMs covering the space if they're caught forward.

Would move Nunes more central as the main link between midfield and attack.

Something like this....

433.jpg

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Would need the fullbacks to provide the width, so the more forward minded Doherty over Semedo and Bueno over Toti, with the DMs covering the space if they're caught forward.

Something like this....

View attachment 36139
I like that team Wolfling and Che Adams to come on if we're losing!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Something like this....

View attachment 36139
I was thinking about a team like this a while back, but the success of it would depend heavily on if Sasa can stay healthy. As you say, you’d need both full backs to provide service and I think you’d get that with Doc and Bueno. Defensively I think we’d be quite susceptible to the counter, but if Lemina stays deep to create a back three I think it could work, have him drop between the centre backs in possession and the full backs become wingbacks, that’s how Julen’s Sevilla used to operate, a 4-3-3 that becomes a 3-4-3 with the ball.

Sa
Dawson Lemina Kilman
Doc Nunes Gomes Bueno
Cunha Silva
Sasa​

On paper I actually think that’s our best team. Ideally we can get a quicker CB in than Dawson for the high line. I don’t think it lacks creativity either, Cunha and Silva will roam about and be an absolute nightmare for defences. Bueno and Doc as the wide outlets. Nunes and Gomes getting forward where possible.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't make that judgement...you have judged Bueno in premier League games ...and haven't as yet seen Giles play a premier league game ..

It's a unfair call anyway to judge until Giles plays in a back 4 in premier league.....Bueno has already done and 4 years younger.....

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been out at work this morning, and I’ve been trying to figure a line up, I don’t know how you feel about playing a back 5 away from home, and using the counter attack plan. This coming weekend against Rennes could tell us a lot more about what we’ve got and how best to play them. I’m still worried about our left cover, could ran be used as a forward left player. But then what happens to Neto.
I definitely think there are different set-ups vs different teams.

4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1, 3-4-3, 3-5-2

If Ran stays then for Big 6 I could see a fluid 4-2-3-1 which morphs into a 5-3-1-1 defensively and enables either Doc (Semedo) or RAN to rampage and provide width with Silva/Cunha having licence to roam.

Needs another CB as an injury to Dawson, Kilman or Toti immediately causes a problem.

Eg

Sa
Doc/Semedo Dawson Kilman Toti
Gomes Lemina
Nunes Silva RAN
Cunha

Defending becomes

Sa
Doc/Semedo Dawson Kilman Toti RAN
Nunes Gomes Lemina
Silva
Cunha

JLo has shown last season he’ll change teams but hasn’t shown he’ll get set-up right away from home.

Woolywolf

Reaction score

Something like this....

View attachment 36139
I Like that

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking about a team like this a while back, but the success of it would depend heavily on if Sasa can stay healthy. As you say, you’d need both full backs to provide service and I think you’d get that with Doc and Bueno. Defensively I think we’d be quite susceptible to the counter, but if Lemina stays deep to create a back three I think it could work, have him drop between the centre backs in possession and the full backs become wingbacks, that’s how Julen’s Sevilla used to operate, a 4-3-3 that becomes a 3-4-3 with the ball.

Sa
Dawson Lemina Kilman
Doc Nunes Gomes Bueno
Cunha Silva
Sasa​

On paper I actually think that’s our best team. Ideally we can get a quicker CB in than Dawson for the high line. I don’t think it lacks creativity either, Cunha and Silva will roam about and be an absolute nightmare for defences. Bueno and Doc as the wide outlets. Nunes and Gomes getting forward where possible.

Yes. Could also achieve a similar thing by playing Toti at left back, Nunes and Lemina in CM and Neto instead of Gomes.

Toti comes narrow to form a 3 in possession, Neto offering the width on the left, Doc on the right.

Sa
Dawson Kilman Toti
Doc Nunes Lemina Neto
Cunha Silva
Sasa​

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit, it was a much better performance than what I expected, particularly with the selection of the first 65 minutes. Hope that one swollow does not make a summer, and we shall see even better performances where it counts.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Could also achieve a similar thing by playing Toti at left back, Nunes and Lemina in CM and Neto instead of Gomes.

Toti comes narrow to form a 3 in possession, Neto offering the width on the left, Doc on the right.

Sa
Dawson Kilman Toti
Doc Nunes Lemina Neto
Cunha Silva
Sasa​
I like that, think the balance would be a lot better there.

Back
Top Bottom