Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team vs Luton

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Verdict from me, Doherty coming back and hopefully carrying on from where he left off. He gets into some great forward positions, he links up with Nunes. Sasa ok he missed a sitter but coming back from that awful injury he’ll only get sharper. I know it’s only Luton, but like I’ve always said, you can only beat what’s in front of you.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of the first 3 or 4 games under Bruno where we were very attacking and had shed loads shots at goal but couldn’t hit a barn door.
I enjoyed tonight, and I thought there were lots of positives BUT, Luton are poor and yet still exploited space at the back a few times, and better teams than them would have had a field day. I am encouraged but don’t think we have found the “holy grail” of football performances.
Rennes will be interesting on Saturday as they have beaten WHU 3-1 and Forrest 5-0 in this pre-season.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict from me, Doherty coming back and hopefully carrying on from where he left off. He gets into some great forward positions, he links up with Nunes. Sasa ok he missed a sitter but coming back from that awful injury he’ll only get sharper. I know it’s only Luton, but like I’ve always said, you can only beat what’s in front of you.
We drew….

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ps. Never should have sold Giles as his left peg would have created/made many goals for us next season.
Would like to have seen him play in the “Hwang position” and as competition/ cover for Neto.. would have sold Hwang (although he played well tonight, apart from missing his chance!) and kept Giles!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well after weeks of Mix Misery I feel much more positive tonight. Yes Luton are awful, yes there's a massive elephant in the room I'm going to pretend I can't see. BUT Fabio looked quality and determined to do well, RAN had an excellent first half, Boubacar needs to calm down a bit, but great energy and positivity. Toti and Kilman actually looked like they might cope together. Sasa isn't as far away as I thought he might be. Mostly the 4231 looked very good and we played some lovely one touch stuff that really hurt them. Much happier than I was at 7.30, that's all I can ask.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Good to see the new signings do well

Let’s put that into perspective
Our form in the last 1/3 of season was strong

I would argue the following are pretty much new signings

Fabio
Sasa
Neto if fit
Cunha
Gones
Lemina
Doherty

And with the exception of Fabio/neto all brought in by Julen. They should be more ready and settled.

To be clear I’m not saying we don’t need a few more players ideally, but these should all build and improve on a team that finished essentially as a mid table form team.

Julen is right to push for more
But that squad has options, and with some clever business (judge at end of window) we might be better than the panic.

Top 8 of course not
But with a smart last couple of weeks of sales Vs purchases, a manager motivated and committed to improving us , it might not be the relegation we fear

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So team and bench looks like (and you can interchange)

Sa
Doc Dawson Kilman RAN
Gomes Lemina
Nunes Cunha Neto
Silva

Subs Bentley Semedo Toti Bueno Traore Hodge Sarabia Sasa Hwang

Options, just no strength beyond the 19/20. Pond, Farmer and Fraser ok for odd game on bench but not as a game changer.

Lots of great performances tonight. Went notably downhill when Neto, Cunha and Sarabia came on!

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good application in a relegation fight? Giving us intent when applying pressure?

Working hard?....seeing as that was the fundamental reason we were ****ed in the first place.

And he does score tbf..
3 goals and one assist in 27 PL games last season

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles will get credit because his crosses/set pieces are good. But really don't think he put our right side under that much pressure don't think he barely even beat a man all game his crosses were from very wide and Doc/Nunes were playing around him pretty easily. A good player in there but he's a little one dimensional for sure.

I still would of been happy to keep him but in a backup left midfield role but not as a defender at this stage in his career.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva, B.Traore, Toti and Nouri were my stand outs.

Thought Bueno had a stinker when he came on. The changes made us lose any rhythm we had built.

Good workout we should of scored a couple. Hoping Hwang is saving them for the season.
I'd agree with all of this. Bueno doesn't look like he's regained form from when he struggled at the end of last season. I'd be much more comfortable with Ait-Nouri there starting the season.

Thought Doc and Nunes combined well but also not quite on the same wavelength at times. You can see there's the beginnings of something there though.

Sasa looked a handful, especially early on, but got a knock that had us all holding our breath towards the end of the first half and after that looked a bit spent, as you would expect after so long out. He has a deft touch and is both brave and clever in equal measures. I hope his miss just before he went off was just to help Che Adams feel at home and won't knock his confidence too much.

Fabio was very sharp, always looking to run at the opposition back line. After he went off, we looked a little toothless by comparison. He actually troubled the opposition goal, something we've so infrequently seen from any striker here. Again, there were a few moments of not being on the same wavelength as was the case with most of our players, but hopefully the familiarity will come when we settle into a core lineup and system.

Traore was everywhere - I forgot how tireless he works, and how clumsy he can be when trying to get the ball at times, but his pressing and energy are definitely welcome and I think we will need them this season.

Even despite some encouraging signs though, we still didn't really carve out too many clear cut chances. Luton looked resilient, and Carlton Morris - probably the weakest premier league striker on paper - bought a few free kicks and eased the pressure on Luton well with some excellent hold up play. Luton had a couple (rightly) disallowed and gave a decent account of themselves despite little in the way of quality on show. Draws against Luton at home when everything kicks off won't be good enough - we have to find a way of putting teams to the sword.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd agree with all of this. Bueno doesn't look like he's regained form from when he struggled at the end of last season. I'd be much more comfortable with Ait-Nouri there starting the season.

Thought Doc and Nunes combined well but also not quite on the same wavelength at times. You can see there's the beginnings of something there though.

Sasa looked a handful, especially early on, but got a knock that had us all holding our breath towards the end of the first half and after that looked a bit spent, as you would expect after so long out. He has a deft touch and is both brave and clever in equal measures. I hope his miss just before he went off was just to help Che Adams feel at home and won't knock his confidence too much.

Fabio was very sharp, always looking to run at the opposition back line. After he went off, we looked a little toothless by comparison. He actually troubled the opposition goal, something we've so infrequently seen from any striker here. Again, there were a few moments of not being on the same wavelength as was the case with most of our players, but hopefully the familiarity will come when we settle into a core lineup and system.

Traore was everywhere - I forgot how tireless he works, and how clumsy he can be when trying to get the ball at times, but his pressing and energy are definitely welcome and I think we will need them this season.

Even despite some encouraging signs though, we still didn't really carve out too many clear cut chances. Luton looked resilient, and Carlton Morris - probably the weakest premier league striker on paper - bought a few free kicks and eased the pressure on Luton well with some excellent hold up play. Luton had a couple (rightly) disallowed and gave a decent account of themselves despite little in the way of quality on show. Draws against Luton at home when everything kicks off won't be good enough - we have to find a way of putting teams to the sword.
Excellent post

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well after weeks of Mix Misery I feel much more positive tonight. Yes Luton are awful, yes there's a massive elephant in the room I'm going to pretend I can't see. BUT Fabio looked quality and determined to do well, RAN had an excellent first half, Boubacar needs to calm down a bit, but great energy and positivity. Toti and Kilman actually looked like they might cope together. Sasa isn't as far away as I thought he might be. Mostly the 4231 looked very good and we played some lovely one touch stuff that really hurt them. Much happier than I was at 7.30, that's all I can ask.
We drew 0-0. How can you be so positive?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m at least starting to understand how we are setting up! Hard to define it as 433/4231, it’s literally a complete mix of positions.
A centre forward, a second striker, 1 winger, 1 AM, 1 CM , 1DM, a fullback and a wingback.

Felt like it worked and mostly everyone was in their best position.
I hope people stop claiming Nunes is being asked to play on the wing, he really isn’t.
Also thought Hwang did well, I’d expect him to currently be ahead of Neto for that spot.

Last edited:

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because there were a lot of positives in that performance

Simple innit
The only caveat is that we must start scoring for the sake of retaining this positive style of play. Lage started with an expansive & attacking method, but when teams were being battered but the chances weren't taken & the points weren't on the board he lost his nerve.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought both Silva and Sasa did very well. Bit more sharpness from the later and you can see he might be a real asset if we can keep him fit. Great to see Silva chasing down lost causes in a friendly and giving his all. I was really impressed with what was a very promising performance. A few loose passes here and there, but Traore also has real potential too I think? Love how competitive he is.

We still need to add a decent CB, attacking CM and a forward to the squad, with no more first teamers leaving. Think we’d have a decent season.

Luton don’t really look up to much. Saw a few fans on twitter suggesting it was a close game, but if you’re first team is getting pulled around like that by wolves I’d be worried. The commentators were right - 3 or 4 nil would not have flattered us. I’d imagine they will ****house the odd win though. Certainly at Kenilworth Rd?

Some excellent crosses from Giles, and it did make me wonder a little about selling him. Their fans were raving on twitter, but I’d caution that if he’s going to be their key outlet, it will make him a marked man in a team that won’t a great deal of possession, and where he’ll be doing lots more defending than attacking. Be interesting to see if/how he handles that? If the answer is positive, perhaps we end up buying him back?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah he did fine, especially as he got a few grumbles with one of his first touches after holding it up and laying it back towards the defence, an unnecessary reaction IMO
Unless we got players supporting the forwards they have no choice to drop deep or play the safe option.

We need to create a new dynamic when we attack as a unit and defend as one

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you play Silva, Sasa sand Cunha in the same 11?
Don’t see why not. Either Silva and Cunha supporting Sasa in a 4-3-2-1 or Cunha supporting Sasa and Silva in a 4-3-1-2
No room for Neto starting, though, and I thought he was one of our best and most direct players against Celtic.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Giles did what it says on the tin last night, which is why I would have kept him. Our problem is scoring goals, not keeping them out, he would have been a more varied option at left back/left midfield than what we’ve currently got. Sacrifice the defensive side at times to create chances from wide areas.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva brought an energy to attack we have been missing as did Sasa - should have scored though
Decent performance and I am encouraged that the runs into space Sasa was making and Silva always made are now finally being picked up - some great runs into space and then passes between defenders.

Cant help thinking we were hasty with Giles, his corners and crosses were absolute quality - odd to lose him now we finally have two tall centre forwards.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you could if you played Nunes centrally.

Gomes, Nunes
Cunha, Fabio, Neto
Sasa
If Cunha is off the left then Nunes off the right so variation is

Nunes Fabio Cunha
Sasa

With Sarabia, Hwang and Neto able to come on.

Fabio and Cunha would be fluid so only works with a sting defensive LB as limited cover.

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Fair play to Giles, he did put in some superb crosses, but what else did he do ?
Wolves are not good enough to start, or bring on a player who’s only attribute is crossing.
It would be a massive risk. Realistically how many crosses would lead to goals, even one a game is not possible. He would cause more problems than solutions.

Back
Top Bottom