Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Team for Newport

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok so I know it's a bit early but I'm actually quite looking forward to this game as I think we'll probably get to see a few of our youngsters that people are raving about.

What team would you like to see? I'd go for:

--------------- Ikeme
Iorfa - Stearman - Hause - Golbourne
Graham - McDonald - Coady - Ojo
---------- Bright - Le Fondre

Subs: McCarey, EEL, Evans, VLP, Ronan, Dicko, Afobe

I'd keep the defence unchanged to give Hause more game time at CB and likewise in CM to give Coady and McDonald more time together.

I think it's the perfect opportunity for the likes of Ojo, Graham and Bright to get some first team minutes too.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McCarey
Doherty Eel Hause Rowe
Rvlp Price Evans Ojo
Alf Bright

Reaction score
I'd like to see Ronan, Bright, Reid and Graham all start. Supplement them with some experience behind, but give those guys a chance. Afobe and Dicko on the bench in case we need them.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme
Doherty Hause EEL Rowe
VLP Price Evans Ojo
Eno ALF​

Bench: McCarey, Iorfa, Stearman, Ronan, Graham, Reid, Wilson.

At least the fringe/youth players will show some passion for it? We are usually crap in the cup anyway, worth a gamble as if there are any star performers it gives KJ plenty of options to ponder for Hull.

Wallace/Saville are unavailable and will play U21's next week for match fitness, Batth will be back in a few weeks for those wondering. KJ doesn't want to risk losing them for the whole season which makes sense.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Ikeme
Iorfa Stears Hause Golbourne
McDonald Coady
Henry Afobe Edwards
Dicko​

I'd play the same team as yesterday. Give them another 90 minutes of playing the system, work on those key partnerships (Stears/Hause, McDonald/Coady), and it would show we want to take the cup seriously.

I can see Kenny making changes though, the likes of EEL, Doherty, Price, Evans, Le Fondre, Ojo, McCarey will probably all play. Bright, Ronan and Graham to be on the bench.

T

The Pundit

Ikeme
Doherty Hause EEL Rowe
VLP Price Evans Ojo
Eno ALF​

Bench: McCarey, Iorfa, Stearman, Ronan, Graham, Reid, Wilson.

This

Only downside is Afobe and Dicko's season goal tallys will suffer. Harry Kane added with cup goals last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather we played a weak team, got knocked out, and focused on the league.

FA cup is more exciting anyway.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly, why risk injuries to key players? Every league game this season is going to be incredibly tough. Hull is going to be a tough game on Saturday and we have a really competitive squad and academy now, time to give them a chance in a competitive format.

If we play well and win, brilliant, some players may be in contention for Saturday against Hull. If we play poorly and lose, nobody really cares because it's the League Cup and it might make KJ realise a couple of positions are weaker than he had initially thought, with roughly three weeks left in the transfer window it gives him enough time to make amendments.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
We've got a very important game on Sunday, wouldn't want to risk any injuries, so complete change 11 for me, with the good guys on the bench

B

Batman

We don't play again till Sunday. Take the cup serious for once and put the first team out.

Get 2-3 up by half time then rest the strikers and McDonald.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newport are virtually a re-built side this year under terry Butcher so will be still feeling their way together. I like the idea of giving 4 or 5 of the youngsters a chance, esp up top, and see if we can give them a right going over.

D

Deleted member 4456

Newport are carrying a lot of injuries. Players like Alex Rodman and Lenell John-Lewis are Conference standard at best. I would expect to be able to put out a second string team and compete with them. With that in mind:

McCarey

Doherty - EEL - Hause - Deslandes

Price - Rowe

Van La Parra - Evans - Ojo

Le Fondre

Subs from: Ikeme - Iorfa - Stearman - McDonald - Graham - Afobe - Bright

M

MattySadler

I'm all for a bit of standard rotation but I don't think wholesale changes are needed.

T

The Pundit

I'm all for taking it seriously but against better opponents. Our fringe team are good enough and they need to play to be ready to come in.

This is definitely a game for Rowe, Ojo, Evans, Le Fondre, Bright, Graham and Ronan to stake a claim.

D

Deleted member 4436

Never understood the 'focus on the league' comments.

A win is a win. Get into that mentality and it's difficult to shake it off; likewise losing matches.

I want a strong team, with a few of the fringe lads given their chance to impress. We should be using this game to continue sharpening our tools after a long break.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure on what team I would put out, would like to start with Price, Evans Ojo ALF and Bright, but with McDonald Coady Edwards Dicko and Afobe on the bench
I'm going, definitely want to win and so will the few thousand supporters who will be there as well

R

Real K ford Wolf

I think Kenny will go for a semi reserve team

McCarey

Doherty. EEL Haiuse Rowe

RVLP Price Evans Graham

ALF & Hairy Back

Subs

Ikeme
Ronan, Reid, Deslandies
Iorfa. Wilson Coady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Batman

Never understood the 'focus on the league' comments.

A win is a win. Get into that mentality and it's difficult to shake it off; likewise losing matches.

I want a strong team, with a few of the fringe lads given their chance to impress. We should be using this game to continue sharpening our tools after a long break.

Exactly Bournemouth got to the quarter final in this last year. Didn't really hurt their league form did it?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to make a lot of changes but it's important that Ojo, Alf and Wallace (if fit) get game time for us as they haven't been part of our preseason and VLP, Doherty, Price and Evans are very much part of the first team. I'd have Bright, Ronan and Graham on the bench and look to give them a run out for the last 30 mins or so if all is going well.

Ikeme
Doherty-Stearman-Hause-Golbourne
Price-Evans
VLP-Wallace-Ojo
ALF​

Bench: McCarey, EEL, Rowe, Graham, Ronan, Bright, Afobe

If Wallace isn't fit then either Edwards or Afobe.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be there , looking forward to it . 4/5 changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme

Doherty
EEL
Hause
Rowe

VLP
Price
Evans
Ojo

Bright
Le Fondre

D

Deleted member 4257

Same team as Saturday.
I cant see why we cant have a cup run and go for promotion.
Plus id rather as a fan win a cup final at Wembley than get promoted to the greed league. As a cup final day out will stick long in the memory than another promotion

In reality it will be a 2nd string. Juat hope we can get through.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a squad game, use it. We're playing a football side with only 14 fit senior pros! Surely we can afford to experiment this time and make lots of changes.. despite our trash record in cups

T

The Pundit

Our U21s could match these.

Our fringe players will be comfortable.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I'd give Stearman and Hause another game together and as it's quite a big game for Lee Evans, start him next to McDonald (who could do with some minutes having missed a couple of the friendlies).

Ahead of them, three pacy runners with the ball with Le Fondre to provide the finishing touches.

Would like to see Ronan and Enobakhare get half an hour from the bench.

Ikeme
Doherty, Stearman, Hause, Golbourne
Evans, McDonald
RVLP, Afobe, Ojo
Le Fondre

McCarey, Rowe, Price, EEL, Ronan, Enobakhare, Graham

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant see him starting with anyone who started on saturday with the exception of moving iorfa to cb or playing hause again.

Other than that it will be all change -normally this proves disastrous but its all about getting as many up to speed as poss.

50/50 whether we are in the hat for the next round tho newport lost three nil on saturday,missed a pen and played a couple of youngsters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33744440

Last edited by a moderator:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'd rather we don't get knocked out and can never understand this attitude.
If we play some of the younger lads it will give them more games this season and that can only be a good thing. It could be the making of some of them, hopefully.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love a good cup run but for that to happen the club would need to take the competition seriously. They won't. I would start with our strongest possible team and then, if we establish a comfortable lead, introduce subs. A makeshift side of mainly squad players will be selected, which may manage to win against a team two divisions below us. If it does, a similar makeshift side will almost certainly go out if we draw better opposition in the next round. Either way the club won't give a monkey's. The glory of cup runs is solely for fans of other clubs to enjoy while our ambition is to finish in 17th place in the Greed League and to trouser SKY's millions.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Two things.

1. How often have we ended up resting our best players (strikers in particular) and then bringing them on with half an hour left when we are losing with the result that we equalise and get to play and extra half hour? Play a good team, take a couple of players who need a rest off when we are 2 up with half an hour left. By all means stick a couple of promising kids in or people from the bench like le Fondre who might appreciate the game time

2. Does anyone know what the current interpretation of this rule is? "6.5 Each Club shall play its full available strength in and during all Cup Competition matches, unless some satisfactory reason is given. The Board will from time to time issue a policy as to what constitutes ‘full available strength’. In the event of the explanation not being deemed satisfactory the Management Committee shall have power to impose such penalties as they shall think fit."

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know the scenario ..... small crowd ..... zero atmosphere ..... a drawn game .... a drawn extra time ...... and after all of that energy is dissipated, we go out on pens!

Newports cup final!

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Put the full team out and let them tune up some more.

Give Ojo a good go on the left.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant see him starting with anyone who started on saturday with the exception of moving iorfa to cb or playing hause again.

Other than that it will be all change -normally this proves disastrous but its all about getting as many up to speed as poss.

50/50 whether we are in the hat for the next round tho newport lost three nil on saturday,missed a pen and played a couple of youngsters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33744440
Would be the right thing to do, particularly as over half of Newports team are out injured

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme

Doherty
EEL
Hause
Rowe

RVLP
Coady
Price