Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Target Man

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that Bruno wants a target man this summer.

Opens up a whole can of worms of questions!

Does he want that type of player to play instead of Raul, or with Raul in a change of formation?

Is it give us a 'plan B' in the same forward setup?

Raul can play the target man role, but is often so involved in our build-up that playing alongside another striker could really help him. Haris Seferovic did that job very well for Bruno at Benfica, either centrally in a 4-3-3 or with Jonas or Joao Felix playing off him as a second striker.

So who is out there that we could target?

Keiffer Moore has gone to Bournemouth, which is a relief! There's not a lot else out there at our level.

I like the look of Wout Weighorst at Burnley and for £12.6m that's looking like a good Chris Wood replacement. But he is 29, so maybe a bit old for the type of player we target.

Mitrovic is one, although I think he will stay at Fulham when they are promoted and continue his struggles stepping up in the Premier League.

Alexander Sorloth has PL experience, but was awful at Palace. Got his career back on track since and at 26 is a decent age and could be a reasonably priced option.

Or do we go for an older head if they are available for a smaller fee, like Luuk de Jong or even Bruno's player Haris Seferovic?

Ivan Toney is a player I like, but if I could choose I'd go with Kasper Dolberg of Nice. Looks very good and at 24 is only going to get better.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brouha (sp?) the Chelsea striker loaned to Soton looks very strong, mobile and a really good prospect. Not sure what the future holds for him at Chelsea.

Broja I think? Yeah, good shout. He does look good. There's no option in his loan but the talk was about £25m+ to sign him permanently.

If we are spending that sort of money I think we could get a more experienced, more rounded player. I can't see us spending that sort of money on another very young striker with potential, otherwise we'd end up with the best part of £65m tied up in potential (and probably a riot!).

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose? I think this will open up the Mitrovic debate again, but he's probably too expensive / not likely to leave Fulham.

Lots of out of contract players this summer D0BBC32E-8CAF-4F95-8B86-F848A40EAEA1.jpeg

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw an article the other day that suggested Sasa Kalajdzic. Looks like he'd fit in with our profile of signing

Certainly fits the bill and ticks all the boxes.

Those boxes being.....

Age (22-26 being the age range for first team ready players with future sell-on value)
Full International
Massive (he's 2m tall!!)
Probably not too expensive in terms of fee and wages

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We reportedly offered £5m for Belgrade striker Marko Milovanovic - he is 6'5'' apparently and at 18 seen as a potential superstar.

They did not want to sell, and it will take a lot more money (like £10m+) - I have no idea if he is any good, but he definitely is a wolves type of signing.

I think they will be back in for him is my guess.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We reportedly offered £5m for Belgrade striker Marko Milovanovic - he is 6'5'' apparently and at 18 seen as a potential superstar.

They did not want to sell, and it will take a lot more money (like £10m+) - I have no idea if he is any good, but he definitely is a wolves type of signing.

I think they will be back in for him is my guess.

Has 'Grasshoppers for a couple of seasons' written all over it that one!!

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only one problem with our manager wanting a target man is that our owners are Fosun. We have wanted several types of player over the last few windows and Fosun have shown no ambition whatsoever by refusing to open the cheque book.
What Bruno wants is pretty irrelevant as in the end he'll get what Fosun decides he can have.
I imagine Bruno who must already be incredibly frustrated at the last failed window is going to be even more frustrated in the summer unless Fosun have a dramatic u-turn which is somewhat unlikely.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only one problem with our manager wanting a target man is that our owners are Fosun. We have wanted several types of player over the last few windows and Fosun have shown no ambition whatsoever by refusing to open the cheque book.
What Bruno wants is pretty irrelevant as in the end he'll get what Fosun decides he can have.

In that case, I'll look forward to seeing a lot of Renat Dadashov next season!

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja would be a fantastic signing, he looks the business and at £25m or so would be good value when you factor in his age

But when you also factor in that I could rub it into all my Saints supporting mates and finally prove to them we're a bigger club than them as we pinch him from under their noses... priceless

Milovanovic sounds more likely, and more Fosun. A few articles have said he's then next best thing since sliced bread, so I'm sold. Get him in!

But in principle the hunt for the target man surely is in line with our shift to a back 4 allowing 2 up top, not that we couldn't use one now in certain circumstances but I think more shows Bruno's hand in terms of the formation shift as a target man always works best for me with a finisher with pace playing in tight with him... maybe that's a bit 90's football though... 442 and all that

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that case, I'll look forward to seeing a lot of Renat Dadashov next season!

Have a look at young striker Nathan Fraser in the u18's/ u23's. Looks quality and only 16. Scored a cracking goal for the u23's the other night. Already 6ft 3in and built like a 25 year old. He stands a better chance than Dadashov from what I have seen of the two players. A player to keep an eye on over the next couple of years.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have a look at young striker Nathan Fraser in the u18's/ u23's. Looks quality and only 16. Scored a cracking goal for the u23's the other night. Already 6ft 3in and built like a 25 year old. He stands a better chance than Dadashov from what I have seen of the two players. A player to keep an eye on over the next couple of years.

I am excited what's happening at youth level. The goal our U11s scored against Albion the other day was incredible.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting to hear that Bruno wants a target man this summer.

Opens up a whole can of worms of questions!

Does he want that type of player to play instead of Raul, or with Raul in a change of formation?

Is it give us a 'plan B' in the same forward setup?

Raul can play the target man role, but is often so involved in our build-up that playing alongside another striker could really help him. Haris Seferovic did that job very well for Bruno at Benfica, either centrally in a 4-3-3 or with Jonas or Joao Felix playing off him as a second striker.

So who is out there that we could target?

Keiffer Moore has gone to Bournemouth, which is a relief! There's not a lot else out there at our level.

I like the look of Wout Weighorst at Burnley and for £12.6m that's looking like a good Chris Wood replacement. But he is 29, so maybe a bit old for the type of player we target.

Mitrovic is one, although I think he will stay at Fulham when they are promoted and continue his struggles stepping up in the Premier League.

Alexander Sorloth has PL experience, but was awful at Palace. Got his career back on track since and at 26 is a decent age and could be a reasonably priced option.

Or do we go for an older head if they are available for a smaller fee, like Luuk de Jong or even Bruno's player Haris Seferovic?

Ivan Toney is a player I like, but if I could choose I'd go with Kasper Dolberg of Nice. Looks very good and at 24 is only going to get better.
Thanks for this WolfLing. You make some thoughtful, well researched contributions.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine Bruno who must already be incredibly frustrated at the last failed window is going to be even more frustrated in the summer unless Fosun have a dramatic u-turn which is somewhat unlikely.

I'm hoping,if we do slide down the league this month.Bruno says to jeff.Dow get blaming me.BUT I'm also hoping we gew up the table not down.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A front three of Dougan, Richards and Wagstaffe would be good.

Back
Top Bottom