Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tactical Fouling

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
really interesting article from the BBC

Manchester City and tactical fouls - what do the stats say?

it goes into a lot of depth analysing where and when teams commit fouls in an effort to establish the level of tactical fouling that goes on i.e. a deliberate foul when you have lost possession to stop the opposition doing anything with the ball they have just won off you

they look at where fouls are committed on the field with tactical fouling more likely to be in your opponents half, and also when the fouls happening that they are likely to be very soon after you have post possession

the focus of the article is on Man City and allegations made against them but it also shows up some of the biggest clubs on the issue but as Wolves fans it is very revealing to see that we are bottom of the list for fouling in the opponents half and bottom but one on fouls committed straight after losing possession

meks yer proud doh it!

and to answer the question the article is based around yes Man City are one of the leading perpetrators of the tactical foul

K

KiwiWolf

Tactical fouls go both ways too. Pogba demonstrated perfectly the tactical art of drawing the the foul last night. Pushed the ball past Cody and dragged his left foot, intentionally making contact and going down in a pre-meditated way. It’s an awful practice and pretty much sums up the cynicism in the game. Pogba is a single cell amoeba, I detest him, not just for last night (I’ve come to expect that from him) but because he’s an oxygen thief and a weasel of a man.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
really interesting article from the BBC

Manchester City and tactical fouls - what do the stats say?

it goes into a lot of depth analysing where and when teams commit fouls in an effort to establish the level of tactical fouling that goes on i.e. a deliberate foul when you have lost possession to stop the opposition doing anything with the ball they have just won off you

they look at where fouls are committed on the field with tactical fouling more likely to be in your opponents half, and also when the fouls happening that they are likely to be very soon after you have post possession

the focus of the article is on Man City and allegations made against them but it also shows up some of the biggest clubs on the issue but as Wolves fans it is very revealing to see that we are bottom of the list for fouling in the opponents half and bottom but one on fouls committed straight after losing possession

meks yer proud doh it!

and to answer the question the article is based around yes Man City are one of the leading perpetrators of the tactical foul
This is where Pep will get praised as brilliant and a tactical genius, yet when Sean Dyche came out and says players get one chance a game to cheat, it’s oh, what a throwback, terrible, no class, etc.

D

Deleted member 4124

Tactical fouls go both ways too. Pogba demonstrated perfectly the tactical art of drawing the the foul last night. Pushed the ball past Cody and dragged his left foot, intentionally making contact and going down in a pre-meditated way. It’s an awful practice and pretty much sums up the cynicism in the game. Pogba is a single cell amoeba, I detest him, not just for last night (I’ve come to expect that from him) but because he’s an oxygen thief and a weasel of a man.
Jota does the same every single game. I don’t blame either player for doing it.
Worst part for me is when the player just kicks the ball away and then changes direction to run straight into the keeper. Bournemouth’s players are experts in this; see Villa game as an example. Pogba was at least in on goal and could have gotten a shot away if he wasn’t fouled. With Bournemouth the ball is usually on its way out for a goal kick.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The percentages quoted in the article might be misleading. City and Liverpool are attacking teams and therefore will have more possession in the opponents half and thus have a higher chance of fouling.....intentional or not.
Wolves, on the other hand are more defensive and so it stands to reason that we have a much lower chance of fouling.
Like the first half yesterday.......we were mostly in our own half.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The percentages quoted in the article might be misleading. City and Liverpool are attacking teams and therefore will have more possession in the opponents half and thus have a higher chance of fouling.....intentional or not.
Wolves, on the other hand are more defensive and so it stands to reason that we have a much lower chance of fouling.
Like the first half yesterday.......we were mostly in our own half.
that's far too sensible, sorry

the point of this thread is to show Wolves to be pure and pristine guardians of the game as it's supposed to played and the rest of the league to be dirty cheating scumbags

get with the programme VW, jeez....

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that's far too sensible, sorry

the point of this thread is to show Wolves to be pure and pristine guardians of the game as it's supposed to played and the rest of the league to be dirty cheating scumbags

get with the programme VW, jeez....
Sorry master.....what was I thinking?;)

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Moutinho is excellent at ‘accidentally’ bringing people down after we loose position but usually does it in places where he doesn’t pick up bookings.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dislike this technical foul malarkey, should be a professional foul and a straight red, even for the slightest intentional trip, a couple of seasons of actually giving harsh punishments out for this, and diving, and it may stop.

especially with var being forced upon us, technical fouls may well be one of the next items on the agenda, and if var is used to stamp it out in the future to will slow the game down to subbuteo levels.

D

Deleted member 4152

Moutinho is excellent at ‘accidentally’ bringing people down after we loose position but usually does it in places where he doesn’t pick up bookings.
Was about to post the same, our little genius is brilliant at it.

Absolute baller

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Bennett took one for the team especially as he hadn’t got the legs to keep up

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad to see we’re finally sensible enough to commit these fouls.

It used to infuriate me when the likes of Arsenal, United and Liverpool used to commit these against us in the PL previously. Always at just the right stage to break up our attacks.

Back
Top Bottom