Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tactical fouling is spoiling football

W

Wolfie_USA

Interesting article over on ESPN regarding tactical fouling, such as what Sane endured recently.

Time to stamp out tactical fouls

Wanted to see what you all thought of this? Certainly would of changed our season even if it only covered Jota. If they stamped out tactical fouling with straight red cards, free flowing football would ensue but would we lose all our villians? Good thing or bad thing? What do you guys think?

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
10 players could foul a player like Jota in anyone match, and no red, maybe 5 yellows, and club gets a fine only.

The issue like Sane tackle, is mistimed or deliberate?...VAR might help, but still judgement call re red or yellow.

Suggest either sin-bin...and or a team can only get 4 yellow cards per game...then whoever gets 5th does sin-bin time, or red & off.

Seen games with 7, 8 yellows for one team...just not cricketo_O

Interesting article over on ESPN regarding tactical fouling, such as what Sane endured recently.

Wanted to see what you all thought of this? Certainly would of changed our season even if it only covered Jota. If they stamped out tactical fouling with straight red cards, free flowing football would ensue but would we lose all our villians? Good thing or bad thing? What do you guys think?

It's interesting that it cites Fer's red card against us as one of the examples because that's exactly the case in point.

How do you define what is a tactical foul and what isn't though? Unlike the passback rule which it mentions in the article, there is no black & white when it comes to 'tactical fouls'.

I don't think we'd lose any villains as such because they'll always find a way to get in the opposition's head.

I think if it was done properly, this would be a welcome addition, much more so than VAR.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are indeed but I also think it’s time to stamp them out.

As well as a yellow, a free kick could be given on the edge of the box - since this is what the foul is there to prevent.

W

we8wba

Games been fine for past 150+ years so why mess?

Yes it’s annoying but it’s part of the game and part of the debate

I’d hate to see a basketball style possession vs possession

We’re exceptional because we generally faster and more skillfull than opposition we may get kicked down 4 times but other 6 were able to get away, opposition figures will be less

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Retrospective bans should be inforced after the event regardless of the action taken at the time by the ref. Shearer said something about that regards diving, if it gets a yellow in a game what’s the real impact towards stamping it out?? Same with dangerous malicious tackles etc

Last edited:

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Leave the game alone it's fast becoming a none contact sport as it is go watch basketball

portugaletc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno's Wolves are experts at the tactical foul. Hence Neves and Saiss pick yellows up like truck drivers pick up prostitutes.
You said what I wanted to say better than I could've ever said it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was disappointed when Leroy Fer's red card against us in the first game vs Swansea was rescinded.

He 'took one for the team' with a cynical foul to stop a breakaway, like so many other players do week in, week out.

The difference with his was he didn't even try to make a tackle, he just booted Costa's legs away with no attempt to play the ball whatsoever. If the same offence was committed off the ball, it would be a red card every day of the week.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see an orange card introduced for cynical challenges that are not currently given a red, with the offender knowing any further foul of any type will result in a red.

B

Benson

I was disappointed when Leroy Fer's red card against us in the first game vs Swansea was rescinded.

He 'took one for the team' with a cynical foul to stop a breakaway, like so many other players do week in, week out.

The difference with his was he didn't even try to make a tackle, he just booted Costa's legs away with no attempt to play the ball whatsoever. If the same offence was committed off the ball, it would be a red card every day of the week.

Exactly. A clear signal. "It is ok to boot opponents down, without any attempt to win the ball. Please go on doing it - same colour of the card as if you celebrate a goal by lifting your shirt up over your head"..
That red card should never have been changed - they should focus on converting yellow cards to reds instead of "being nice" and protect violent players.. again.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. A clear signal. "It is ok to boot opponents down, without any attempt to win the ball. Please go on doing it - same colour of the card as if you celebrate a goal by lifting your shirt up over your head"..
That red card should never have been changed - they should focus on converting yellow cards to reds instead of "being nice" and protect violent players.. again.

The complete injustice of this one was because the red card was rescinded, he didn't even get a yellow for it in the end!

D

Deleted member 5910

The concept "Tactical foul" is so subjective, you couldn't possibly hope to form a law around it. The difference between a brilliant last ditch tackle and a "tactical foul" is often a fraction of a second.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The concept "Tactical foul" is so subjective, you couldn't possibly hope to form a law around it. The difference between a brilliant last ditch tackle and a "tactical foul" is often a fraction of a second.

If there's doubt you presume it wasn't cynical. Simples.

There are a lot of cases where there is no doubt and if they were dealt with more strictly players might be deterred from making such "challenges".

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see recognition by refs of "series" foul tackles and treat them more seriously rather than treating each tackle as a one off unrelated event. For example when a teams most talented flair players are repeatedly targetted by different players throughout the game. Cynical heavy tackles on known flair players early in a game (to intimidate/quieten the player down) should also be treated more seriously than they currently are. Refs are often way too lenient early on and this is being cynically taken advantage of by some clubs and players IMO.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion there is accidents and blatant cheating.

Fers against Wolves was blatant cheating and deserving of a red card.

A tussle for the ball is a yellow.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These fouls happen when a team is attacking, so its perfectly legitimate for the opposition to try and tackle that player to stop them, the difficulty in policing this is distinguishing between a genuine attempt to win the ball that results in a foul and the cynical just stop the player, no attempt to win the ball. Many cases may be clear but not all, The current rules allow a booking for unsporting behaviour so could there be a case here in blatent cases where the player could be booked for the foul and for unsporting behaviour resulting in 2 yellows and a sending off ( 1 match ban)

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see recognition by refs of "series" foul tackles and treat them more seriously rather than treating each tackle as a one off unrelated event. .

the difficulty with this is it may not be the same player making these types for tackles each time, so who gets punished in that case ?

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the difficulty with this is it may not be the same player making these types for tackles each time, so who gets punished in that case ?

How about the 2nd or maybe the 3rd yellow card for a heavy tackle on a single player is an automatic red with no suspension period.

T

TurboTaco91

Nothing wrong with tactical fouls its part of the game. There's already a deterrent for them, a yellow card. They need to punish diving a lot more if they're looking to fix any part of the game.

D

Deleted member 5910

I like sin bins myself, and would like to see them implemented higher up the pyramid. A tactical cheater (fouls, dives etc) would be less inclined if he knew his side would be down to ten men for the next 10 minutes.

T

turner845

If you want to punish tactical fouling with a red card then we would have been down to 10 men or less more often than not. Our first choice midfield pairing are both on 9 yellow cards each with the majority of them cards being picked up for shirt pulling and cynical fouls to stop and attack by the opposition. Jota is also guilty of this and gives as good as he gets despite all the moaning.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Where do you look for this sort of thing?

Colin did us with tactical fouling all game but the Ref wasn't aware of any of it.

E

Essex Wolf

Nothing wrong with tactical fouls its part of the game. There's already a deterrent for them, a yellow card. They need to punish diving a lot more if they're looking to fix any part of the game.
They could certainly cut a lot of blatant cheating out if it was an automatic red card. If the ref deems someone has cheated and upon review/consultation is proven right send the offending player off.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree it does ruin matches. 3 or 4 players a game hold jota back on counter attack. And that’s effectively preventing a goal with how ruthless we can be on the break.

Most frustrating thing about football

No intention of going for the ball whatsoever

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s cheating. It isn’t about removing tackling from the game and it’s something we are seeing more and more of. It happens now almost every game.

Neves does it as much as anyone. Now he is on 9 yellows we can see him taking more care. It’s not ruined his game or ours, but it’s removed the cynical tackle.

No attempt to play the ball, just stop an attack at all costs. Sports change over time. Football is a little slower than others to adapt. Also, defenders shepherding the ball out of play without attempting to play the ball! (I do this all the time but it’s ridiculous!)

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not something that bothers me at all, its part of the game and always will be

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last week’s ref didn’t even want to give a yellow for this

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see recognition by refs of "series" foul tackles and treat them more seriously rather than treating each tackle as a one off unrelated event. For example when a teams most talented flair players are repeatedly targetted by different players throughout the game. Cynical heavy tackles on known flair players early in a game (to intimidate/quieten the player down) should also be treated more seriously than they currently are. Refs are often way too lenient early on and this is being cynically taken advantage of by some clubs and players IMO.

Persistent fouling can apply to a team, as well as an individual. The laws are certainly there to combat it, it's up to the Refs to use them.

W

we8wba

People moaning about fer carding in “booting” making it sound like almost took players leg off with almighty kick

It was a tactical trip nothing more

If you want that as a red welcome to 7 a side football lads

Chwolf

Reaction score
Tactical fouls have always been part of the game and if you stamped them out it would move the game closer to a non contact sport. Barca Juventus are probably the 2 teams who commit the most tactical fouls and us this season. The sane foul was a shocking tackle and nothing to do with tactical fouls.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t this resolved after the 1980 FA Cup final?

Back
Top Bottom