Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

'Sweet Caroline-WTF!' What's wrong with 'Once upon a time?'

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A while ago on this forum someone suggested the playing of Sweet Caroline'. My reaction is an emphatic NO, no, no. What on earth has sparked this deluded record choice among football fans?. On Saturday after the Southampton game the tannoy crackled with this hideous song. Thin end of the wedge, next thing we know our team will be walking out to it.

My question is. What's wrong with our anthem 'Those were the days' correct me if I'm wrong I've never heard it played at Molineux. This classic has an over 40 year association with our fans and club. Come on Wolves ditch this hideous Sweet Caroline and give Mary Hopkin a chance. Rant over.

D

Deleted member 4382

A while ago on this forum someone suggested the playing of Sweet Caroline'. My reaction is an emphatic NO, no, no. What on earth has sparked this deluded record choice among football fans?. On Saturday after the Southampton game the tannoy crackled with this hideous song. Thin end of the wedge, next thing we know our team will be walking out to it.

My question is. What's wrong with our anthem 'Those were the days' correct me if I'm wrong I've never heard it played at Molineux. This classic has an over 40 year association with our fans and club. Come on Wolves ditch this hideous Sweet Caroline and give Mary Hopkin a chance. Rant over.
I agree, but the Mary Hopkins version is a little too wailing for a stadium.
Much prefer Wedding Present’s version (as I’ve mentioned many times in the past).

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I live slap bang next door to the main Southend United home pub. Whenever they win, if I've made the mistake of staying in, I'm regaled with this (along with the obligatory Norn Iron embellishments) through my walls at least three times before they shut at midnight. I quite the song, it reminds me of the smokey social clubs of my childhood, but as a football song its already tired and generic.

It's still the Liquidator for me. My choice of walk-out song that is, not tired and generic ;)

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me "Those Were The Days" or of course "The Liquidator" over "Sweet Caroline" any day. Regarding "Those Were The Days" we really need to start at the beginning "not so long ago there was a tavern..." and sing it a little slower, in my view.

mr_j_007

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My view would be the music post match is cringe worthy, similar to goal music. Win, lose or draw let the fans sing the players off without that tripe played through, we are fans, fantics, let’s do it without a fake orchestration.

D

Deleted member 4453

"Sweet Caroline" relates to the Bolton away game last season, one of the highlights for me at least.

Lost it's spontaneity on subsequent plays for me. Should be left to last season at the very most.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give me "Those Were The Days" or of course "The Liquidator" over "Sweet Caroline" any day. Regarding "Those Were The Days" we really need to start at the beginning "not so long ago there was a tavern..." and sing it a little slower, in my view.
Is there a bit before 'once upon a time' then?

Agreed about slowing it down a tad, and we need to keep the song going longer too, it tends to fizzle out half the time around 'we'd live the life we choose'.

Another one that fizzles out badly is Wanderers Scarf. I'm sure only a few used to shout '****' after 'hell is at West Brom', which is where everyone gives up now. If I've had a few I persevere as far as 'Wanderers (clap, clap, clap)'.

W

we8wba

It’s too slow...

Whilst sweet Caroline is meant to be a happy joyous tune

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those were the days ? Yes it is a wolves song but I cant think of anything more depressing

How about led zeppelin - rabble on

D

Deleted member LP 3925

I'm with Dukinfield. Can't beat Gedge's vocals. Maybe even have a blast of his "It's Not Unusual" when we score! :D

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those were the days ? Yes it is a wolves song but I cant think of anything more depressing

How about led zeppelin - rabble on
Like Bonham I'm from Redditch but I ain't volunteering to do the drum part on the hoardings.

Re: TWTDMF, it's slow and slightly mournful, but I think that's part of its appeal. What were you thinking mate, aggado? Or maybe Eezergood? ;)

W

wolvesultra

Those were the days
Hey Jude
Even Rocking all over the world

Should all be played well before that Caroline nonsense at least they have Wolves connections

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did they do he obligatory turning off of the sound so you could all sing the wah wah wah bit?

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They use it at the boxing, Joshua always does. Hate it.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How about a good old rendition of Barnwells army

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is just a **** walk on tune for that darts player Gurney who i can't warm to, and a ****** choice of a song for our football club. I would rather have the bloody floral dance.

E

Edgmond Wolf

It is just a **** walk on tune for that darts player Gurney who i can't warm to, and a ****** choice of a song for our football club. I would rather have the bloody floral dance.
It does describe how we feel........

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TWTDMF will never die and will always be a wolves song

In 50 years time (if we're **** again) we'll sing it, and these will be the days we're singing about

For now, let's just enjoy the ride. Sweet Caroline is an upbeat song that everyone can join in with and creates atmosphere

W

wolvesultra

Sweet Caroline is a decent song .If people don’t like it or want it here fair enough but it is not rubbish .It is used to get the fans singing and that is the point.
Wouldn't something that got the fans singing Wolves songs though?

Hey Jude for example.

Never catch me singing along to it, it's a song for the dead heads who go to darts or boxing but know **** all about either sport but say things like "going for the crack".

E

Edgmond Wolf

Hey Jude for example.

Never catch me singing along to it, it's a song for the dead heads who go to darts or boxing but know **** all about either sport but say things like "going for the crack".
It actually came from an away game.......

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hey Jude for example.

Craic

If you want crack you should be looking elsewhere

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Hey Jude for example.

Never heard it at those but I hear it a lot at the Vitality Blast and it always gets the fans going.

Back
Top Bottom