Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Super Mario

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was bloody immense yesterday. Obviously it's already been said but him dropping deep instead of Neves is so beneficial for us, and he's a proper player. Does make you think, we were heavily linked with him when (I think) he was still at Southampton, the difference he could have made to our midfield in the last couple of years

Great signing

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent player and has really hit the ground running. Having signed Gomes who is essentially a younger version of him it's exciting to see that we have finally added this type of player to the squad and added depth to ensure we always have this type of player available which will be vital to keeping us solid and allowing players like Neves more freedom to move forward and create.

I think it means we see Nunes and Moutinho used as the slightly more advanced of the 3 that doesn't really suit either that particularly well but with both likely off in the summer I think it was a good move addressing the position in the 3 that makes us more solid now and using them slightly out of position till the summer when we can address that position properly. Think we will go back in for Alex Scott to replace Moutinho, someone who is first team calibre to replace Nunes.

Lemina/Gomes - Neves/Traore
Nunes/Moutinho

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was bloody immense yesterday. Obviously it's already been said but him dropping deep instead of Neves is so beneficial for us, and he's a proper player. Does make you think, we were heavily linked with him when (I think) he was still at Southampton, the difference he could have made to our midfield in the last couple of years

Great signing

He said in his first interview with us that he was extremely close to signing in 2019 and was gutted it didn't happen.

Dead right though, we've needed exactly what he is for years.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just goes to show you how stupid "player ratings" can be. He was near the bottom of the squad according to those, when he was, IMO by far our best player. Just incredible. I love that Joao Gomes is apparently in a similar mold to him because I love those type of hard working players.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Loved his performance. Be interesting to see if he can maintain that level. The criticism levelled at him of Southampton fans was that he could put that kind of performance in against the 'big' teams but dropped off/went missing in the others games. Hopefully with age and maturity he can find a consistent level of performance and if he does we will have a real gem and fans fave for a few seasons yet.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed he does better than any of our recent midfielders, and I guess it's partly down to build, is protect the ball when he wins a 50/50. His legs just seem to extend out when he gets a difficult pass or tries to latch onto a loose ball, whereas the likes of Moutinho, Dendoncker and even Neves couldn't quite make enough of a connection and we would often lose possession, Lemina very rarely seems to, and that he draws an opposition player so close to him benefits the whole team

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed he does better than any of our recent midfielders, and I guess it's partly down to build, is protect the ball when he wins a 50/50. His legs just seem to extend out when he gets a difficult pass or tries to latch onto a loose ball, whereas the likes of Moutinho, Dendoncker and even Neves couldn't quite make enough of a connection and we would often lose possession, Lemina very rarely seems to, and that he draws an opposition player so close to him benefits the whole team
One of the reasons why his legs seem to extend, is the tight, very short shorts he wears.
A bit like someone from the 60/70's :flushed:

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not usually one for telling people "I told you so" but there's a lot of folks on here who thought we didn't a need a "snotter" to do the dirty work.

Mario showed in his performance on Saturday exactly what that type of player does, not only for a defence, but for other players around him being freed up too.

Neves was MOTM on Saturday by a distance - But he was because of the role Mario played in freeing him up.

The Nunes - Neves - Lemina triumvirate could be one of the best in the PL for the latter part of the season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had some ego problems, coming from Juventus I think he felt he was a bit above them at the time. He was still very good at times, but not consistent. He's since had a child and settled down.

Good article/interview here where he talks about where it went wrong for him at the time:

Mario Lemina: 'At Southampton I was more focused on myself than I was on the team...'

Sounds like a very shrewd signing from Matt Hobbs.

Netflix did a 'Captains' series that followed the national team captains of some teams and it included Gabon.

Anyway, Lemina came across very poorly. Effectively refused to play in one game and it seemed basically because aside from Aubameyang they were nowhere near his level.

This was pretty recently as it was about qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.

So, I certainly believe he has an ego and at Southampton he would've been the bigger fish.

However, with us right now he's not going to get all big headed when he's competing with the likes of Nunes, Neves and Moutinho among others. Get Lemina concentrating on football and being part of it and he's brilliant, as he has shown.

Excellent signing in the short-term as he has a point to prove and working under a manager that will not allow any **** to build up.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
LP seems to be happy to handle players with strong personalities .

I had a feeling Bruno couldn't and that is why we lost a lot of the "adults" in the last window.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Netflix did a 'Captains' series that followed the national team captains of some teams and it included Gabon.

Anyway, Lemina came across very poorly. Effectively refused to play in one game and it seemed basically because aside from Aubameyang they were nowhere near his level.

So, I certainly believe he has an ego and at Southampton he would've been the bigger fish.

However, with us right now he's not going to get all big headed when he's competing with the likes of Nunes, Neves and Moutinho among others. Get Lemina concentrating on football and being part of it and he's brilliant, as he has shown.

Excellent signing in the short-term as he has a point to prove and working under a manager that will not allow any **** to build up.
I've read quite a bit about him being a bit of ****

But since he's joined and the videos I've seen he seems like quite a nice guy.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Best thing to sort out a player with an attitude issue is a good manager. Lopetegui will sort him out, and if he can’t he’ll ship him off to Stoke pretty quickly.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not usually one for telling people "I told you so" but there's a lot of folks on here who thought we didn't a need a "snotter" to do the dirty work.
I think that was more to do with the definition of a ‘snotter’ . I don’t think you’d have had much dispute in having someone in midfield protecting the back 4 and allowing the other MF a bit more freedom.
It Is (to me) more about the speed, athleticism and ability to read the play and know where to be rather than being a ‘snotter’

But 100% agree with you , he was outstanding on Saturday and was just what we’ve needed for quite a while.

Also a little bit of sex wee time in that we have Gomes and Bouby to come too.
We now how the squad and options most people have wanted for at least 2 years.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that was more to do with the definition of a ‘snotter’ . I don’t think you’d have had much dispute in having someone in midfield protecting the back 4 and allowing the other MF a bit more freedom.
It Is (to me) more about the speed, athleticism and ability to read the play and know where to be rather than being a ‘snotter’

But 100% agree with you , he was outstanding on Saturday and was just what we’ve needed for quite a while.

Also a little bit of sex wee time in that we have Gomes and Bouby to come too.
We now how the squad and options most people have wanted for at least 2 years.
Absolutely. The classic "snotter" was a dirty ******* who tended to have limited skills other than dishing out "reducers"...

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His defensive ball wining skills will allow Neves / Nunes to get forward.
Ps
Gota be the tequila ( Lemina ) song hasn't it?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's interesting. I feel like you need to tow the line with Julen though, any behaviour out of the ordinary and he'd be on his way out.

Back
Top Bottom