Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sunderland having to hand over a home end to Newcastle in the FA Cup

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted about this the other day in the 'something that doesn't warrant its own thread' thread, while the decision was still unknown. Appreciate people may not care, but the consensus on that thread seemed to be that the updated configuration of North Bank Corner + lower Steve Bull would be acceptable if the cup draw ever threw up WBA again. Wondered what you thought of the situation, and in particular those with memories of the 2007 FA Cup game against WBA nearly 17 years ago?

For context, Newcastle and Sunderland haven't played a first team competitive fixture against each other since 2016. There was a Football League Trophy game a few years back but that's it.

Decision on allocation has now been made, and suffice to say, Sunderland fans aren't happy.

The police and Safety Advisory Group have seemingly come to two conclusions - they could either give NUFC 2500 tickets in the upper tier, above the home fans, where there have been issues with things being thrown down all season, and fans would be allowed to make their own way across. Or, NUFC can have 6000 tickets, taking over the entireity of the North stand, upper and lower, which has lots of season card holders. However, all Newcastle fans have to board coaches setting off from St James' Park; it's a complete bubble trip.

Newcastle have opted for the larger allocation and it's all booting off on the Sunderland forum because of displaced season card holders, quite a few threatening to cancel.

Seems to be a problem of Sunderland's own making, they haven't paid the money to get a net installed in front of the upper tier, so they now have to leave the front few rows empty, and away fans are searched for coins, vapes and power banks, and they're confiscated. Anyone that used to go to Sunderland away in the 2000s/2010s might remember when we were put in the South stand, which is where the cells and police box are, but it's now the proper 'home' / singing end.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's disgraceful.

They should have given them 2,500 if that's all the police would allow in normal circumstances, and that's that.

It is reminiscent of what Moxey did and it's unforgivable. Like him, they've gone out their way to make things better for their biggest rivals and worse for themselves.

Hard to comprehend, especially when the tickets would be sold anyway, so not even financial gain.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's disgraceful.

They should have given them 2,500 if that's all the police would allow in normal circumstances, and that's that.

It is reminiscent of what Moxey did and it's unforgivable. Like him, they've gone out their way to make things better for their biggest rivals and worse for themselves.

Hard to comprehend, especially when the tickets would be sold anyway, so not even financial gain.
Newcastle have the right to ask for 6k so Sunderland don’t have a choice.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the event of a replay :rolleyes:.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle have the right to ask for 6k so Sunderland don’t have a choice.
They have the right to ask, but it's an "up to" 15% rule. Police/SAG could theoretically have said no.

Leeds only got 2000 the other night in the league. Middlesbrough (local but not exactly a proper reciprocal rivalry) drew them in the cup a few years back and were given a much smaller allocation on safety grounds.

The bubble thing is interesting - seemingly Newcastle are paying for all the coaches, fans only receive their match tickets when on a coach.

SAFC fans were planning an anti sports washing stadium display but that's been kiboshed by the club, having originally been boosted by a £10k donation from the owner. You post on RTG as well don't you mate, presumably you've seen the thread?

Potentially seems like Newcastle's money talks, but we'll never know. I'll be taking my lad, he's Sunderland-mad, and at least it keeps him away from NUFC - I've got real issues with the general lack of outcry over their ownership up here.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to rub it in their CEO is offering them a bottle of Newkie Brown and a pie as compensation
Newkie Brown, or at least a proportion of it, is now, would you believe, brewed in the Netherlands. The rest is brewed at the John Smith brewery.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have the right to ask, but it's an "up to" 15% rule. Police/SAG could theoretically have said no.

Leeds only got 2000 the other night in the league. Middlesbrough (local but not exactly a proper reciprocal rivalry) drew them in the cup a few years back and were given a much smaller allocation on safety grounds.

The bubble thing is interesting - seemingly Newcastle are paying for all the coaches, fans only receive their match tickets when on a coach.

SAFC fans were planning an anti sports washing stadium display but that's been kiboshed by the club, having originally been boosted by a £10k donation from the owner. You post on RTG as well don't you mate, presumably you've seen the thread?

Potentially seems like Newcastle's money talks, but we'll never know. I'll be taking my lad, he's Sunderland-mad, and at least it keeps him away from NUFC - I've got real issues with the general lack of outcry over their ownership up here.
I thought the club could only offer less than 15% on safety grounds snd once the police gave the option of the bubble trip Sunderland didn’t have much of an option.. I’m not fully up to date on the rules though so I may be wrong. I know as soon as a club plays the reduced allocation on safety grounds card then the other club can do the same for the reply or future ties. Then both sets of fans suffer. Just look at the mess that’s been caused between Celtic and Rangers where the away allocation has only been a few hundred for the last 3 seasons now and as you pointed out Leeds v Boro are doing the same to each other.

Yes mate that’s me who posts on there I’ve not been on this week so will go over and have a look after I’ve finished work tonight. It’s a cracking forum and as you know most are very welcoming towards rival fans.

I agree with you there about how little has been said about the ownership. The funny thing is despite all their money they will still end the season trophy less lol. Eddie Howe won’t be in charge next season if they don’t make CL. They have their hands tied with FFP. Another reason why PIF will favour the Saudi League over the barcodes of the north east.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I posted about this the other day in the 'something that doesn't warrant its own thread' thread, while the decision was still unknown. Appreciate people may not care, but the consensus on that thread seemed to be that the updated configuration of North Bank Corner + lower Steve Bull would be acceptable if the cup draw ever threw up WBA again. Wondered what you thought of the situation, and in particular those with memories of the 2007 FA Cup game against WBA nearly 17 years ago?

For context, Newcastle and Sunderland haven't played a first team competitive fixture against each other since 2016. There was a Football League Trophy game a few years back but that's it.

Decision on allocation has now been made, and suffice to say, Sunderland fans aren't happy.

The police and Safety Advisory Group have seemingly come to two conclusions - they could either give NUFC 2500 tickets in the upper tier, above the home fans, where there have been issues with things being thrown down all season, and fans would be allowed to make their own way across. Or, NUFC can have 6000 tickets, taking over the entireity of the North stand, upper and lower, which has lots of season card holders. However, all Newcastle fans have to board coaches setting off from St James' Park; it's a complete bubble trip.

Newcastle have opted for the larger allocation and it's all booting off on the Sunderland forum because of displaced season card holders, quite a few threatening to cancel.

Seems to be a problem of Sunderland's own making, they haven't paid the money to get a net installed in front of the upper tier, so they now have to leave the front few rows empty, and away fans are searched for coins, vapes and power banks, and they're confiscated. Anyone that used to go to Sunderland away in the 2000s/2010s might remember when we were put in the South stand, which is where the cells and police box are, but it's now the proper 'home' / singing end.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216_084849_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216_084849_Samsung Internet.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 101

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a load of *******s isn't it ..cup rules etc ..look Sunderland fans being forced to give up the home end will inevitably lead to an increase in violence on the day, probably to a level which will be above normal for the fixture......it was exactly the same in town after the Albion, south bank game. .. involving probably 10 times the amount of fans , other than the usual troublemakers.

Then it will be all the fans fault etc. . when clearly stupid descision were made prior to the game that raised tensions beyond that level ....where is the sense in all of this ...just give Newcastle the restricted normal allocation. .Muppets .

stupid cup rules shouldn't come over safety of match going fans ....

Last edited:

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

SingleMalt

Reaction score
What was they thinking.

Imagine writing boing boing in the North bank bar, fans would burn it down.
I didn’t think I’d ever see a club do something worse to it’s own fans than us giving up the South Bank to them ****ers down the road. But to actually decorate part of your own stadium in your arch rivals colours is unbelievable. I’d be going ****ing mental if I was a Sunderland fan.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sunderland issued a statement saying a serious error of judgement had occurred. Fair enough, but surely somewhere along the line, somebody must have questioned this decision. It really beggars belief.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sunderland issued a statement saying a serious error of judgement had occurred. Fair enough, but surely somewhere along the line, somebody must have questioned this decision. It really beggars belief.
Shows the disconnect for the professional services departments of a club. I'm sure Lisa in Marketing was thrilled with the campaign the agency came up with. Right up until she got home, told her husband and he dropped his Gregg's sausage roll in disgust.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh we've never had a Baggie
Never had a Baggie
Never had a Baggie in our seats

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 3-0, South Bank giveaway, for me anyway, ranks absolutely miles ahead of the 5-1 in terms of most humiliating days being a Wolves fan.

Feel sorry for Sunderland fans. The damage is already done. Its an absolute insult when teams have to give away home ends to the nearest rivals. To then do this, wow.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That 3-0, South Bank giveaway, for me anyway, ranks absolutely miles ahead of the 5-1 in terms of most humiliating days being a Wolves fan.

Feel sorry for Sunderland fans. The damage is already done. Its an absolute insult when teams have to give away home ends to the nearest rivals. To then do this, wow.
And they moan when it kick off.....when it's their fault for raising the tension even higher ...

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score

Jazz Möxey - the best in business.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I live in between Newcastle and Sunderland and there's pretty much a 50/50 split in the area between Newcastle and Sunderland fans. Really feel sorry for the Sunderland fans from the disaster this has been from start to finish. First giving up their whole home end, secondly announcing that any anti-Newcastle flags or protests are banned (the business of the guy who owns Sunderland has links with Saudi - that's how these things work) and now this re-decorating to include pro Newcastle slogans. Thing is, it wasn't just putting up pro-Newcastle stuff, it was actually ****ting over their own club's legacy. Crossing out "Ha'way the lads' (Sunderland terminology and replacing it with "Howay the lads" (Newcastle terminology) and (this I really can't get my head around), putting up a "Cheer up Peter Reid" slogan, an anti-Sunderland song that takes the **** out of one of their most successful managers. Just can't get my head around it.

The only way Sunderland can move on from this is to beat Newcastle, otherwise it's a complete and utter irredeemable disaster. The fans already wanted the owners out after giving away their home end, banning ant-Newcastle flags and sacking Mowbray to replace him with Beale. Just can't see how they can recover after this. I pretend to stay neutral with the people who live around me but Jesus, I hope Sunderland win.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newkie Brown, or at least a proportion of it, is now, would you believe, brewed in the Netherlands. The rest is brewed at the John Smith brewery.
That's sad.
Wasn't it originally brewed by Newcastle and Allied Brewery's?
My brother did his teachers training in Newcastle in 67/68 when the team won the Fairs Cup.
He'd tell me about pubs heaving with supporters knocking back the old brown ale before taking up their place on the terraces of the
Gallowgate or Leezes.
Remember attending Keegan's last game there against Brighton. We were drinking Newcastle Exhibition that day but don't know if it's still around now.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
That's sad.
Wasn't it originally brewed by Newcastle and Allied Brewery's?
My brother did his teachers training in Newcastle in 67/68 when the team won the Fairs Cup.
He'd tell me about pubs heaving with supporters knocking back the old brown ale before taking up their place on the terraces of the
Gallowgate or Leezes.
Remember attending Keegan's last game there against Brighton. We were drinking Newcastle Exhibition that day but don't know if it's still around now.
It used to be brewed directly over the road from St James's Park. My wife, who grew up in the city, says that you could smell the hops all over the city and when it closed down it totally changed the experience of being in 'town'.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
I live in between Newcastle and Sunderland and there's pretty much a 50/50 split in the area between Newcastle and Sunderland fans. Really feel sorry for the Sunderland fans from the disaster this has been from start to finish. First giving up their whole home end, secondly announcing that any anti-Newcastle flags or protests are banned (the business of the guy who owns Sunderland has links with Saudi - that's how these things work) and now this re-decorating to include pro Newcastle slogans. Thing is, it wasn't just putting up pro-Newcastle stuff, it was actually ****ting over their own club's legacy. Crossing out "Ha'way the lads' (Sunderland terminology and replacing it with "Howay the lads" (Newcastle terminology) and (this I really can't get my head around), putting up a "Cheer up Peter Reid" slogan, an anti-Sunderland song that takes the **** out of one of their most successful managers. Just can't get my head around it.

The only way Sunderland can move on from this is to beat Newcastle, otherwise it's a complete and utter irredeemable disaster. The fans already wanted the owners out after giving away their home end, banning ant-Newcastle flags and sacking Mowbray to replace him with Beale. Just can't see how they can recover after this. I pretend to stay neutral with the people who live around me but Jesus, I hope Sunderland win.
Apparently the Cheer up Peter Reid stuff has always been there, it’s a song they released as a single when he got them promoted back in the 90’s.
I only know this because I’ve spent about two hours reading their forum which is a very angry place at the moment.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the cup game. An absolutely horrible atmosphere all game, toxic from the start. Jez was at the height of his popularity at that stage and this decision only helped to keep this going. A lot of the South Bank were seated near us in the BW Upper and they were creating a horrible atmosphere there for the older gents who didn't sing when they tried to get chants going. One older bloke got pushed down the stairs on the way out as he unwisely asked them to move when they were blocking the stairs after the game trying to arrange scraps on their phones.

Surely the police at these games need to do a better job and go out their way to keep things as normal and trouble away from the ground.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Netflix should do another episode of Sunderland till I die .. around this game ...would have been great viewing ...

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The plot thickens, not least because SAFC vetoed an anti-sports washing stadium display, having provisionally agreed to it.

Local reporter for the Mail (urghh, I know), claims that the club agreed this Newcastle stuff weeks ago when they gave over the Black Cats Bar. A few others on RTG are suggesting it's an NUFC-supporting contractor appointed to cover stuff up, who took the opportunity to take the mick.

Either way, there's a serious error of judgement.

I'm up in North Tyneside so surrounded by Mags, but I've managed to win my lad over to SAFC (he's only a bairn). Hopeful that when he's older he might come and watch Wolves with me instead, but he's been a season ticket holder for two years now and is absolutely hooked. I've always felt a greater affinity to SAFC, perhaps it's because of Mick Mc and all the shared players in the mid 00s/early 2010s.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its equally baffling and hilarious. Slogans with 'Cheer up Peter Reid' hahhaa. Throwing shade at one of your own. amazing to think someone actually signed this off.

In terms of the game though it goes without saying that this THE must watch of the weekend. I dont watch a lot of neutral football but will be tuning in for this one.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of the game though it goes without saying that this THE must watch of the weekend. I dont watch a lot of neutral football but will be tuning in for this one.
Did you manage to make it through all 90 minutes after jinxing it pre-match? :D

Was definitely up there with some of the worst games I've seen, Sunderland players just didn't turn up and showed Newcastle far too much respect.

Back
Top Bottom