Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't the wage bill equate to league position at the end of the season
Generally yes. In Mick's time, we were one of the 4 lowest payers in the Prem and although he kept us up for 3 seasons, eventually we succumbed to relegation due to our inability to compete with higher paying clubs.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's all about money.

Jimenez up for sale, one of the highest earners.
Saiss leaves and The Athletic confirms it was to do with wages.
Ruddy expected to stay, Lage wants him to stay, it's clearly about wages.
Moutinho a high earner, looks like he's off.
Neves will be a high earner, will be leaving.

Now, I'm not getting into whether these decisions or right or wrong, just pointing out that it's quite obvious what we're doing and it doesn't bode well.

They should just sell us instead of undoing the great work they've done by putting us back to where we started.

Lage has stated he wants a bigger squad. If we're at the limit of our wage budget that means moving high earners on to bring in a net gain in lower earners.

Doesn't necessarily mean we're reducing the budget, we'll have to judge that at the end of the window.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has stated he wants a bigger squad. If we're at the limit of our wage budget that means moving high earners on to bring in a net gain in lower earners.

Doesn't necessarily mean we're reducing the budget, we'll have to judge that at the end of the window.
Precisely why I personally have always been in favour of the small squad philosophy!
Less numbers but more quality.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all about money.

Jimenez up for sale, one of the highest earners.
Saiss leaves and The Athletic confirms it was to do with wages.
Ruddy expected to stay, Lage wants him to stay, it's clearly about wages.
Moutinho a high earner, looks like he's off.
Neves will be a high earner, will be leaving.

Now, I'm not getting into whether these decisions or right or wrong, just pointing out that it's quite obvious what we're doing and it doesn't bode well.

They should just sell us instead of undoing the great work they've done by putting us back to where we started.
People have been nagging on about needing changes for several windows ……well now they might get their wishes fulfilled.
I don’t see it as a bad thing. After two bad seasons, ( football qualitywise), some players leaving and new players arriving could be a positive catalyst.

IFA Wolf

Reaction score
I’m no manager but if Barca can’t afford to take Traore and they can’t afford Raphina from Leeds. I’m sure that Leeds were interested in Traore at one point and they could be a deal there to be done? Doubt they would take a straight swap but Traore and some cash?

D

Deleted member sbk12944

People have been nagging on about needing changes for several windows ……well now they might get their wishes fulfilled.
I don’t see it as a bad thing. After two bad seasons, ( football qualitywise), some players leaving and new players arriving could be a positive catalyst.
Tbf it could be looked at as a positive outlook for any incoming players as they will/more likely have a chance to prove themselves and stake a claim for the spots they play in.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought I had read somewhere that a new rule was coming in the Premier League where salaries could not go over 70% of total turnover .. but I might have been wrong ..

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bale is out of contract next month.

Wonder if at 32 he will retire or like to join a PL club as an impact sub for a season or two.

He, ( coughs), might like to come to Wolves……
nothing to prove, no pressure to perform miracles at Spurs or similar again, close to Wales and speaks the language, ( Spanish/Portuguese….lol), albeit not very well.
And he could look great in our colours.
Hey…..just saying, is all:cool:

1653753315778.jpeg

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wonder if at 32 he will retire or like to join a PL club as an impact sub for a season or two.

nothing to prove, no pressure to perform miracles at Spurs or similar again, close to Wales and speaks the language, ( Spanish/Portuguese….lol), albeit not very well.

View attachment 28125
No chance...

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Thought I had read somewhere that a new rule was coming in the Premier League where salaries could not go over 70% of total turnover .. but I might have been wrong ..
I have read it’s 90% but then gradual to 70% what I can find is vague and I am not sure if it’s just European competitions or includes all clubs.

*edit here’s a link to an article, not sure how accurate it is though

Last edited by a moderator:

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
i put this in the pub thread but may be worth repeating here. my mate told me that the promotional photoshoot wont include

saiss, neves, jimenez, moutinho and MGW. so, moutinho to roma is likely.

big gamble by wolves...
What is ‘the promotional photoshoot’?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28125

Any decent golf courses around here ?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28125
He’d spend more time on the treatment table or on the golf course than on a football pitch.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it could be.

But when you're actively going against the manager it suggests to me it's more about reducing the wage bill than trying something new. Let's see if the new players we bring in are on big money.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i put this in the pub thread but may be worth repeating here. my mate told me that the promotional photoshoot wont include

saiss, neves, jimenez, moutinho and MGW. so, moutinho to roma is likely.

big gamble by wolves...
Selling off MGW to Milan then?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it could be.

But when you're actively going against the manager it suggests to me it's more about reducing the wage bill than trying something new. Let's see if the new players we bring in are on big money.
“Going against the manager?”……..you sure? That would only lead to resentment and not very business like.
IMO, there’s other more plausible reasons for what’s going on regarding players, either outgoing or incoming.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Going against the manager?”……..you sure? That would only lead to resentment and not very business like.
IMO, there’s other more plausible reasons for what’s going on regarding players, either outgoing or incoming.
Lage has made it quite clear he wanted Ruddy, Saiss & Moutinho as part of the squad next season.

MutchAdo

Reaction score
Didn't Ruddy say in a recent interview he needed to be playing more? Maybe that's why he's gone, wanted assurances that they weren't willing to offer?
Pretty much this. It wouldn't really matter what Lage wanted concerning Ruddy if Ruddy himself didn't want what Lage or the club were offering. There's plenty sticks around to beat the club with at the moment but I don't think this is one of them.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All that's happening is the club moving on players at the right time
Somehow that equals a conspiracy of cut backs and fosun need to sell the club Unbelievable
You sound shocked it's the same every transfer window....

Saying that though I can totally understand why people are a little concerned with a lot of experienced players leaving...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28125
I really hope that this never, ever, happens. Back to the utter stupidity of the 1990s.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think we definitely need a change of players, even Neves and Moutinho. We've looked so slow and created what the 2nd most chances in the top flight?! Mostly just concerned that bringing in 4 new players and all 4 work out is very unlikely. You'd have thought Trincao a Barca winger would've worked.
Think we'd be mad to not bring MGW back into the side, not sure what formation would fit him though as he's not a striker, winger or holding midfielder.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That’s the crux with retaining players because, they will obviously ask for a deal, that they are happy with. If the club feels the player doesn’t warrant that deal, unless a compromise can be reached the player has to go.

The club cannot be held to ransom by players for obvious reasons and unfortunately, football is predominantly a business nowadays. Long gone are the days of loyalty, sadly.

I personally think, that is partly the reason football has lost some of it’s magic. Players have always come and gone but to nowhere near, the degree, they do now.

Go back 50 years and I could (with a bit of time) probably name 8 or 9 of the starting 11 for at least half the teams in Div 1 at the time because the core of the team played the majority of their career there. Ask me to name 5 players that played for a random team in 2002 and I’d probably struggle. (I know squads are much bigger and rotate but that also gives more to choose from so balances up).

I think it’s quite fitting that the term “club” seems more frequently used nowadays, as opposed to “team” because it feels more like a lot of players just view playing football as a job (rightly or wrongly) so they sign for the club that offer them the best deal but that surely means that passion has to be diminished.

Years ago it felt quite different (perhaps just my perspective) but it seemed more about honour and pride, in playing for a certain team. I suppose that has come with the inevitable influx of players from abroad and the ridiculous money that is on offer, today.

This is also partly why I never get too attached to any player at Wolves nowadays. I worship them all but at the same time, realistically know that if we have a gem, he’ll soon be gone. Even Neves, I will feel sad when/if he goes but it won’t break my heart like Richards or Bully would have.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the crux with retaining players because, they will obviously ask for a deal, that they are happy with. If the club feels the player doesn’t warrant that deal, unless a compromise can be reached the player has to go.

The club cannot be held to ransom by players for obvious reasons and unfortunately, football is predominantly a business nowadays. Long gone are the days of loyalty, sadly.

I personally think, that is partly the reason football has lost some of it’s magic. Players have always come and gone but to nowhere near, the degree, they do now.

Go back 50 years and I could (with a bit of time) probably name 8 or 9 of the starting 11 for at least half the teams in Div 1 at the time because the core of the team played the majority of their career there. Ask me to name 5 players that played for a random team in 2002 and I’d probably struggle. (I know squads are much bigger and rotate but that also gives more to choose from so balances up).

I think it’s quite fitting that the term “club” seems more frequently used nowadays, as opposed to “team” because it feels more like a lot of players just view playing football as a job (rightly or wrongly) so they sign for the club that offer them the best deal but that surely means that passion has to be diminished.

Years ago it felt quite different (perhaps just my perspective) but it seemed more about honour and pride, in playing for a certain team. I suppose that has come with the inevitable influx of players from abroad and the ridiculous money that is on offer, today.

This is also partly why I never get too attached to any player at Wolves nowadays. I worship them all but at the same time, realistically know that if we have a gem, he’ll soon be gone. Even Neves, I will feel sad when/if he goes but it won’t break my heart like Richards or Bully would have.

There was a caller on WM last week who grew was old enough to have watched us in the 50s and said how many players joined in their teens and provided they were good enough would stay with us into their 30s. Cullis never sold good players.

Sign of the times I suppose, the days of local lads and one club men are over, most players and managers have very short shelf lives at one club, sad though

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has made it quite clear he wanted Ruddy, Saiss & Moutinho as part of the squad next season.
Well we know that but do they want to be here on what we’ve offered them?
Also……maybe Bruno agrees with Jeff and doesn’t think we should offer them more than a year extension.

In fact Bruno maybe doesn’t figure them as part of his plan for 2023/24.

Last edited:

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also……maybe Bruno agrees with Jeff and doesn’t think we should offer them more than a year extension.

In fact Bruno doesn’t figure them as part of his plan for 2023/24.
Spot on.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In fact Bruno doesn’t figure them as part of his plan for 2023/24.
Easiest way to get rid of a couple of high earners is to offer them contracts the club know they won’t sign then it looks like the player wants to leave rather than the club doesn’t want them to stay.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hope that this never, ever, happens. Back to the utter stupidity of the 1990s.
It’s unlikely to happen anyway, even putting his wages aside but do I think he could be of use to some club as a sub. He’s fit now, ( for how long who knows?) and might pop in a few and some assists.
Think of the pr.

L78

Reaction score
All the latest news and reports are all indicating that Neves definitely wants Barcelona move.....I thought he might..... couldn't see him wanting anything else ....
As neves said all of us have dreams and we need to live those dreams in a short space of time. At wolves maybe he sees nightmares on the horizon

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I see Nico may be part of a deal to take Neves to Barca. If so, in what role would he likely play for Wolves? Alongside Palhinha in a more attacking CM role?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I see Nico may be part of a deal to take Neves to Barca. If so, in what role would he likely play for Wolves? Alongside Palhinha in a more attacking CM role?

Both would be ideal in front of a back 4.... defencive mids....double pivot is the in vogue term....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom