Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer transfer window - 2021 Deadline Day passed...

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with you, but defenders are the hardest to do this with.

If you spend £30m on a defender, they have to go on to become elite to make a good profit. Big clubs will then pay £50m plus for them.

If they fail to adapt and underperform, you can probably wipe at least £10m off their value. It’s probably the riskiest position for making transfer profits.

There is the risk of that, but i do think good defenders stand out. If we paid 25 or 30 million for Botman, one good season and we can probably double our money. Every signing is going to be a bit risky, but we have to make calculated risks i guess to progress. We will get some wrong, but i do think we would get more right.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't blame any of our top players if they try to leave in January or next summer now. The club have failed to carry on the ambition they sold to these players when they joined.
I can see this too and then we'll be lucky to field a five a side team

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we don't do we? We have 4. You are refusing to acknowledge that Saiss can play midfield. He's a very experienced player. He's perfectly capable of covering that position, he's done it before in this league. We have 4 midfielders for the next 4 months. It's not an eternity. In the longer term we will need to address it, but for now, barring terrible luck with injuries we should be okay.
I don’t rate Saiss as a midfielder he’s not mobile enough. Plus he gets booked as much as neves, it’s quite conceivable both could be suspended on the same day. Plus it may have escaped your attention but Bruno has played him CH in all games. So I don’t count him as a midfielder, nor do most on here

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wow... incredible scanning through some of these posts and the ungrateful ****s criticizing Fosun and Jeff Shi after everything they have achieved.

Putting things in perspective, Everton signed Salomon Rondon. :)
TBH Decent signing on a free, one I hoped for us to support Raul.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is the risk of that, but i do think good defenders stand out. If we paid 25 or 30 million for Botman, one good season and we can probably double our money. Every signing is going to be a bit risky, but we have to make calculated risks i guess to progress. We will get some wrong, but i do think we would get more right.
Make 20m in a couple of seasons but you also get the benefit of being able to play further up the pitch having a good defender for that time.
I feel like the club have seen Boly get fit again and Marcel staying fit, Kilman looking solid, and decided a CB wasn't worth 20m spend.
Can't justify not bringing in another striker or CM though, and MGW going out on loan seems daft now.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But we don't do we? We have 4. You are refusing to acknowledge that Saiss can play midfield. He's a very experienced player. He's perfectly capable of covering that position, he's done it before in this league. We have 4 midfielders for the next 4 months. It's not an eternity. In the longer term we will need to address it, but for now, barring terrible luck with injuries we should be okay.
We will have 3 in December to February when Saiss is at the AFCON, 2 in February when Neves leaves and 1 when Mouts is burnt out in March., But we will bring someone in the January window ! Off course not even to mention the impact of the AFCON on our central defender’s losing Boly & Saiss. Hopefully everyone stays fit and shows good form and of course zero competition for those positions to push players or come off the bench. Off course hoping Raul shows form and doesn’t get injured and he does get injured Fabio scores 12-15. A lot of of hoping and risks taken in all this. Surely everyone can see this means that Neves & Adama leave Jan or next summer (irrespective of which league we are in). Making us even more attractive to potential signings! We have lost ground horribly, by standing still.

Bradstonian

Reaction score
"I can't blame any of our top players if they try to leave in January or next summer now. The club have failed to carry on the ambition they sold to these players when they joined."
--------------

I can only hope they're handsomely rewarded as some kind of financial compensation, wage-wise

MobNet Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just keep coming back to ticket prices.

We don’t have a divine right as fans to demand big money is spent, but when ticket prices are subject to huge increases on the basis of benchmarking us against top half teams, I think we do have a right to demand that the club shows the ambition which has apparently driven those price rises.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are run by clowns. That bloody round table on YouTube proved it. I cannot believe those guys are responsible for running our football club. Who sanctioned letting Morgan go, seriously? He’s come on in two out of three league games and started in the cup. How have we left ourselves so threadbare in midfield?! Let’s hope Neves, Moutinho and Donck come back from International duty without any issues. ****ing hell what a joke.

New CEO and a DOF required ASAP.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"I can't blame any of our top players if they try to leave in January or next summer now. The club have failed to carry on the ambition they sold to these players when they joined."
--------------

I can only hope they're handsomely rewarded as some kind of financial compensation, wage-wise
Jeffs tekkin em to the Black Country museum for some fish n chips.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very easy to spout from long distance when Vinny's bloodsucking, supposedly to fund the non-existant transfers, doesn't affect you.

Given a choice between Rondon and Keiffer Moore l'd take the former every bloody day of the week
Getting a bit hacked off that those who put **** all money in to the club having a go at those of who do for being hacked off at a lack of ambition. Especially when we are being told prices are going up due to the increase in quality.

Writer Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm refraining from giving an opinion on this transfer window until it closes next week.

I hope and expect that Shi and Fosun have 3-4 players essentially lined up and agreements in place to one degree or another, and it's simply a matter of selling and timing.

Regarding Adama, who knows. I don't think he particularly wants to stay. He's unique as a player and can cause chaos on the field on his good days but then again, he can be erratic and is generally hopeless in front of goal. I'd be content if he stayed but also wouldn't be overly bothered to see him go, as long as the funds from his sale are channeled into buying a couple of good players who fit well with Lage's system.

We'll see. We will know later next week whether Jeff and co have lost the plot (and we'll be in 'Lage leaves the club' type territory and a skeleton-squad relegation fight) or whether they, as I presume, are working with quiet Chinese efficiency to make sure things will be set up for a decent 21/22 season and further big-money enhancements next summer.
Oh dear. I was desperately hoping my worst case scenario was the highly unlikely scenario, but unfortunately not. Very worrying, especially if injuries go against us.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we still sign free agents then? I thought they had to be signed by last night aswell

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

From the minds that brought us "We don't need a backup for Doherty, Jonny can play right back".

"Saiss can play midfield":
He was surplus to requirements in midfield well over two seasons ago. He has spent the best part of three years training as a CB in a non pressing system.
Boly is more injured than not, nowadays, and Mosquera isn't tried and tested at this level. Saiss can't play midfield when he's expected to be our centre back due to injuries, in the sense that Jonny could never play right back because we didnt have anybody to play left back if he switched sides.

We finished last season with SIX options in central midfield (Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Otasowie, Vitinha, MGW) and had highlighted this midfield area as a key position to upgrade.

We start this season with THREE options in central midfield.

As a club, our strategy has failed and even though we might get lucky with injuries / suspensions, it doesn't mean we were right to do it, just like we weren't right to not have a backup for Raul for three seasons.

Reaction score
As per last season, we aren't going down. And good, if the renewal rate goes down. Perhaps some real supporters will get the chance.
As has been said many times NO club is too good to go down (well except 3-4 anyway), if we do go down again (which I do consider a real possibility) after 48 years of being a STH (Women & Girl) in all sorts of divisions I will more than likely call it a day as Fosun are on no longer interested in the club and I’m now fed up with being lied to. Now try telling me I’m not a REAL supporter :mad:

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi's played a blinder.

Do none of what's promised.
Leak very late to the press that we are back in for Kieffer Moore.
Fans wake up on Wednesday with the overwhelming relief that we haven't signed Moore, taking the edge off the ineptitude of the rest of the window

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A disappointing window. We haven’t learned from the mistakes of last year.

If Jiminez or one of our many midfielders get seriously injured, we could be in serious trouble.

I’ve long believed that a premier league team that doesn’t continuously improve stands a very good chance of getting bitten on the ass. We haven’t significantly improved our first team for a couple of years now.

Scaled back ambition/investment from Fosun or handcuffed by FFP? Only time will confirm that.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been a hugely disappointing window but the biggest thing that will hurt the club now is the goodwill they had, and the trust most people had in them is gone. Everything they said in the round table meeting means nothing. They asked for trust in what they were doing, and they failed us and Lage. As I said before, if I was Bruno I'd be giving them my resignation.
Yes - a very good point. Our togetherness has been our strength. Break that ... and we lose a huge benefit.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Overall it’s a frustrating window. I think the business we’ve actually done is good, to add Sa, Mosquera, RAN, Trincao and Hwang whilst still making an overall profit is good. But we just didn’t get those extra 1-2 players that we as fans and maybe more importantly Bruno wanted. I think even if we’d have just brought in Kamara last night, the window goes from a 6/10 to an 8/10. Keeping our key players was also important and I think we shouldn’t forget that either. It will be interesting to hear from the club about what happened yesterday, it’s pretty obvious someone up top has got it wrong, but who?

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Wolves can’t force a player to sign
You are absolutely right they can’t force a player to sign.

What they can and should do though is target players that we have a realistic chance to sign.

Then their job is to sell the club to the player which makes the player see Wolves as the best option for them and that may be a combination of financial reward, playing style, opportunities to progress (Using Jota as an example to players that Wolves can be a useful stepping stone for their career) all strategies to attract the player.

Now I’m not saying they haven’t done these things but clearly they haven’t done them well enough!

To compound the lack of midfield incomings in particular by loaning out MGW who was already getting some game time and would have been training to play in Bruno’s style of play seems to be an inventive approach to say the least.

It’s been said by others but with the more energetic pressing style the worry is a higher risk of injuries as has been shown with Boly & Mosquera in pre-season so an even greater need for a bigger squad.

In the early days after promotion I seem to remember there was a lot of talk in football circles about how ambitious Wolves were and that agents were almost pushing their clients towards the club. It’s now apparent that for whatever reason we are no longer seen quite so much as the go to ambitious new boys club wanting to upset the status quo. Let’s remember as a newly promoted club with no European football we managed to sign Portugal’s number one keeper.

I’ve said before that following on from promotion we seemed to have a momentum and it felt like we were all together part of something special.

Nowadays it feels to me (rightly or wrongly) that the momentum has well and truly been lost.

The weird thing is this could lead to a stronger connect between the fans and Bruno as it appears he has been shafted as much as the fans.

Sadly the disconnect I’m feeling between me the fan and the hierarchy seems to be bigger than ever.

Doesn’t quite feel like ‘One Pack’ at the moment which is a great shame.

Sorry for rambling on just feels like a bit of a sliding doors moment and with a lack of goals throughout the team including from midfield, even less so with MGW leaving I’m worried how this season is going to work out!

JohnMatrix

Groupie
Reaction score
I know they said they'd try and work on a fresh deal for Traore contract wise but if I was a player I'd realise now I've got them over a barrel wage wise. I'd want to know how much they will be committing to spending as well to get the right players around me for my ambitions.

Still fuming, I do think the fans should question what's happened and we should maybe look at a protest to get our answers fro the club. If they think they're arrogant enough to not have to tell us then they'll find out what molineux was like under the old regime when it's a warzone if we are struggling.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
From the minds that brought us "We don't need a backup for Doherty, Jonny can play right back".

"Saiss can play midfield":
He was surplus to requirements in midfield well over two seasons ago. He has spent the best part of three years training as a CB in a non pressing system.
Boly is more injured than not, nowadays, and Mosquera isn't tried and tested at this level. Saiss can't play midfield when he's expected to be our centre back due to injuries, in the sense that Jonny could never play right back because we didnt have anybody to play left back if he switched sides.

We finished last season with SIX options in central midfield (Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Otasowie, Vitinha, MGW) and had highlighted this midfield area as a key position to upgrade.

We start this season with THREE options in central midfield.

As a club, our strategy has failed and even though we might get lucky with injuries / suspensions, it doesn't mean we were right to do it, just like we weren't right to not have a backup for Raul for three seasons.
This in a nutshell. Firstly Sellars should be resigning. Completely out of his depth. Then Jeff should oversee the sale to someone who is willing to invest before it’s too late.

First XI is good enough but the risk we ran last year has worsened. They recognised it, failed to address it, made it worse.

Let’s not kid ourselves Fosun have been told to pull back on their investment. They are under orders and we’ve gone from being a real threat to the established order to also rams since the edict was handed down.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I know they said they'd try and work on a fresh deal for Traore contract wise but if I was a player I'd realise now I've got them over a barrel wage wise. I'd want to know how much they will be committing to spending as well to get the right players around me for my ambitions.

Still fuming, I do think the fans should question what's happened and we should maybe look at a protest to get our answers fro the club. If they think they're arrogant enough to not have to tell us then they'll find out what molineux was like under the old regime when it's a warzone if we are struggling.
They won't though as Traore now will have a £50 million release clause and a raise of 20/30K.

So if he does well come January his agent says to Spurs £50 million and he is yours then Wolves have no hope of keeping him

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall it’s a frustrating window. I think the business we’ve actually done is good, to add Sa, Mosquera, RAN, Trincao and Hwang whilst still making an overall profit is good. But we just didn’t get those extra 1-2 players that we as fans and maybe more importantly Bruno wanted. I think even if we’d have just brought in Kamara last night, the window goes from a 6/10 to an 8/10. Keeping our key players was also important and I think we shouldn’t forget that either. It will be interesting to hear from the club about what happened yesterday, it’s pretty obvious someone up top has got it wrong, but who?
In general l agree with much of this. I wouldn't though say that swapping Rui for Sa plus some money (and probably lower wages) is an addition.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
In general l agree with much of this. I wouldn't though say that swapping Rui for Sa plus some money (and probably lower wages) is an addition.
Maybe not but he does seem a better fit for our new style of play, so we could end up better off for having Jose.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are run by clowns. That bloody round table on YouTube proved it. I cannot believe those guys are responsible for running our football club. Who sanctioned letting Morgan go, seriously? He’s come on in two out of three league games and started in the cup. How have we left ourselves so threadbare in midfield?! Let’s hope Neves, Moutinho and Donck come back from International duty without any issues. ****ing hell what a joke.

New CEO and a DOF required ASAP.

Whoever sanctioned letting MGW go should be run out of town. Utterly appalling and unforgiveable decision.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi's played a blinder.

Do none of what's promised.
Leak very late to the press that we are back in for Kieffer Moore.
Fans wake up on Wednesday with the overwhelming relief that we haven't signed Moore, taking the edge off the ineptitude of the rest of the window

Think he has got that badly wrong then as the majority are fuming and the media are starting to call them out.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whoever sanctioned letting MGW go should be run out of town. Utterly appalling and unforgiveable decision.
It's better for MGW than it is for us, but yes it does seem a strange decision.

Unless we're going 343 all season then MGW doesn't really have a role.

But, as we're short of bodies it would have been good to keep him around.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Isn’t it obvious? The £50 million we were prepared to spend will now be used to redevelop the Steve Bull stand.

Surely that’s the only logical explanation!

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've just seen that apparently we wasn't willing to match £12mil for Kamara or Keiffer Moore thats shocking if true as for Kamara thats a good deal anyway and for Moore probably about right when leaving it so late to try and buy him.

Back
Top Bottom