Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer transfer window - 2021 Deadline Day passed...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The Botman wanted to come but we wouldn't pay is another sickener.

It's Ruben Dias all over again, don't be surprised when he is leading the back for City or United next season.

Get out fosun.
I mean City and United obviously aren't signing him but could see another big club.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
TBH now all the stories are out about our transfer targets you can kinda see Jeff didn't want to be ripped off. We would have paid Lille for the privilege of Sanches sitting on our treatment table but only found out at the last second (so late that we thought it must have been OK to let MGW go), Caleta-Car didn't want to come (not much to be done about that), Lille were bending us over a barrel for Botman and Keiffer Moore sounded like we were only interested if we could get him cheap (so assuming the 12m Cardiff wanted was a rip-off). But we managed to get Trincao, Sa and Hwang in OK.

I know everyone will say we should have offered higher wages to Caleta-Car and paid the bills for Botman and Moore but we must have had our own valuations, and it's probably dead easy to be ripped off these days when your a premier league club.

Obviously our squad isn't as strong as Lage would like, but with the likes of Boly, Mosquera, Podence all returning from injury and the emergence of Kilman things aren't so bad in defence and attack. Just Centre midfield we're chronically short and have no idea what we'll do if we lose 2 of the 3 credible cm options we have for whatever reason. Just gonna have to wing it until Jan!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBH now all the stories are out about our transfer targets you can kinda see Jeff didn't want to be ripped off. We would have paid Lille for the privilege of Sanches sitting on our treatment table but only found out at the last second (so late that we thought it must have been OK to let MGW go), Caleta-Car didn't want to come (not much to be done about that), Lille were bending us over a barrel for Botman and Keiffer Moore sounded like we were only interested if we could get him cheap (so assuming the 12m Cardiff wanted was a rip-off). But we managed to get Trincao, Sa and Hwang in OK.

I know everyone will say we should have offered higher wages to Caleta-Car and paid the bills for Botman and Moore but we must have had our own valuations, and it's probably dead easy to be ripped off these days when your a premier league club.

Obviously our squad isn't as strong as Lage would like, but with the likes of Boly, Mosquera, Podence all returning from injury and the emergence of Kilman things aren't so bad in defence and attack. Just Centre midfield we're chronically short and have no idea what we'll do if we lose 2 of the 3 credible cm options we have for whatever reason. Just gonna have to wing it until Jan!
In a nutshell fellas.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You speak sense. For all my frustration, I agree about our defence and attack. Defence especially is not ideal, but I could be a lot worse.

However as you mention, midfield is the real worry. Failing to address that is simply unforgivable, and I find it quite incredible that the only midfielder we were linked with on deadline day were Sanches.
There were a few other rumours of midfielders, but unlike with the defenders, it doesn't seem like we've put any bids in, or been very urgent trying to get a midfielder in.
Now I don't understand why and I'd be very curious to hear Sellars explain the reasoning behind this. Yet, we hear nothing, absolutely nothing.
Anyway no dig at you Oliver. Agree with all you said.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You speak sense. For all my frustration, I agree about our defence and attack. Defence especially is not ideal, but I could be a lot worse.

However as you mention, midfield is the real worry. Failing to address that is simply unforgivable, and I find it quite incredible that the only midfielder we were linked with on deadline day were Sanches.
There were a few other rumours of midfielders, but unlike with the defenders, it doesn't seem like we've put any bids in, or been very urgent trying to get a midfielder in.
Now I don't understand why and I'd be very curious to hear Sellars explain the reasoning behind this. Yet, we hear nothing, absolutely nothing.
Anyway no dig at you Oliver. Agree with all you said.
Oh yeah totally agree that the club never explain anything, does my head in. Never know what the aspirations are.
Sounded like we were all in on Sanches. I went to bed the night before the window shut thinking we were getting Sanches and one of the two defenders we were linked with, and was fairly content with that.
Hopefully they've learned a lesson this time, and stop leaving things to the last second. TBH our best transfers are always done early in windows (i.e the deals must have already been done behind the scenes). We never seem to benefit leaving things late.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happened to Yukuslu? Sounds like he could have been a Plan C option, definitely good enough to cover and provide some minutes from the bench...
He would have been a good signing IMO. For the few million he would have cost, we could have done a lot lot worse.

I mean, we did do a lot lot worse

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh yeah totally agree that the club never explain anything, does my head in. Never know what the aspirations are.
Sounded like we were all in on Sanches. I went to bed the night before the window shut thinking we were getting Sanches and one of the two defenders we were linked with, and was fairly content with that.
Hopefully they've learned a lesson this time, and stop leaving things to the last second. TBH our best transfers are always done early in windows (i.e the deals must have already been done behind the scenes). We never seem to benefit leaving things late.
It's possible Jeff and co went to bed thinking the same thing. When Sanches' injury was originally stated it was reported he'd be out for a long while. And it turns out he's out for a long while. So, in the intervening time, it sounds like someone's told porkies to try and get a deal done and we were hooked in. There's a lot of failings somewhere to only ascertain that at the last minute.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You make a strong argument but its only part of the picture. You are talking about four or so players whereas there are many many players out there. We should have been in a position to have known what a club wants, what a player wants, etc. before the last day of the window. That is the job of the management of clubs, scouts, agents, etc.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
It seems we put all of our eggs in the neves/traore sale basket then when that didn’t materialise got offered Sanchez only for him to fail the medical leaving us up **** creek without a paddle
Seemed pretty amateurish and no planning at

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with pretty much all you’ve said and believe if we’d got Sanches through the door (and his injury was as originally stated) people would have complained we could have done with a CB and maybe a forward but would have accepted it as a decent window overall.

It all hinges on the CM, that’s where the window was going to be successful or a failure simply because we don’t have sufficient numbers there unlike other parts of the squad where you can accept we haven’t added quality because at least we have quantity.

My issue with CM isn’t particularly the Sanches deal falling through, if his injury is worse than stated then I can understand them backing out (although you’d like to think we’d have know man the full picture about his injury given we know his agent, unless the player himself had been lied to about the length of his absence to get him out the door). My issue is that when that fell through it became a shopping trolley dash where by we went after a CM that didn’t want the move and then a forward that we were going to be unlikely to get so late in the window and probably didn’t need enough to warrant paying what it would cost to get (that can apply for Moore and for McBurnie if both links were true).

If you’re going to leave things so late and play poker you’ve got to remain calm, have a plan and see it through. It appears as soon as plan A fell through they panicked and lost control of the situation.

If we’d sounded out Kamara, knew he’d be up for the move, worked on Sanches and then fallen back on Kamara I’d have accepted that. Even without another signing in any other position it wouldn’t have been to plan but at least we’d have a squad that was sufficient if not as strong as hoped. The thing that tipped a lot of people over the edge is how amateurish those final few hours became.

We went in to the final day seemingly set to get a good CM in, with links to two good CB’s and suggestions of a forward. If we’d have got all 3 positions over the line they’d have been rightly lauded, CB and CM would have been praised, CM alone would have been accepted, but none sees them criticised. And that for me is fair all things considered.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Tottenham and Chelsea have been put on red alert after Ivory Coast midfielder Franck Kessie, 24, turned down a new AC Milan contract. (Gazzetta dello Sport - in Italian)

Red Alert!

I’m spewing anger at Fosun as we’ve not been mentioned in this article.

well Wolves might have been, but I wasn’t going to pay 1.99€ to read past the first paragraph. Anyway, you’re failing us again, Jeff.

I couldn’t bring myself to put this in the January Transfer Window thread.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

At the lake early this morning with your rod?
Tbf I was going to ask you the same posting an article of a player we allegedly could have signed but wouldn’t offer enough in wages (allegedly) Missed the boat on him now hence the non wolves transfers thread joke.

I have a 3 year old 7:15 is a lie in

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Tbf I was going to ask you the same posting an article of a player we allegedly could have signed but wouldn’t offer enough in wages (allegedly) Missed the boat on him now hence the non wolves transfers thread joke.
He’s only 24 years old. We’ve got another 8 years of ‘FFS FOSUN, sign Kessie and our midfield will be sorted’.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

He’s only 24 years old. We’ve got another 8 years of ‘FFS FOSUN, sign Kessie and our midfield will be sorted’.
I wonder if Moutinho will be manager then or still playing in midfield for us?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I tell you something, Yerson Mosquera had a bloody good deadline day.

Reading some of the posts Yerson will solve all our defensive worries. So far he has looked promising in pre-season friendlies played at three-quarter pace. That's all. He was signed to be 'around the first team squad,' not as an integral part of it and definitely not as the answer to all our defensive problems.

Yerson may come good: Boly may stop being so injury prone and stop having lapses in concentration. But if Botman was willing to come not paying the extra £5m was simply the latest in a long line of stupid decisions

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tell you something, Yerson Mosquera had a bloody good deadline day.

Reading some of the posts Yerson will solve all our defensive worries. So far he has looked promising in pre-season friendlies played at three-quarter pace. That's all. He was signed to be 'around the first team squad,' not as an integral part of it and definitely not as the answer to all our defensive problems.

Yerson may come good: Boly may stop being so injury prone and stop having lapses in concentration. But if Botman was willing to come not paying the extra £5m was simply the latest in a long line of stupid decisions
He's fast becoming as good as Guedioura and Milijas were when they were out the team!

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Is anyone else missing the transfer window?
Ok then. We need a good centre back so that we can push Saiss out of town. We need an attacking midfielder and Jeff has let us down so badly but what can he really do if Fosun are pulling out anyhow?
If you’re really missing that stuff, there’s pages and pages you can go over again.
You could view it is the first dozen pages of the January transfer thread.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok then. We need a good centre back so that we can push Saiss out of town. We need an attacking midfielder and Jeff has let us down so badly but what can he really do if Fosun are pulling out anyhow?
If you’re really missing that stuff, there’s pages and pages you can go over again.
You could view it is the first dozen pages of the January transfer thread.
All too much of it is the same folk saying the same things repeatedly (l'm sure that l'm as guilty as anyone).

D

Deleted member yltz11841

Logging on now and reading about Royal Caribbean sponsoring the training ground kit, people asking if the players stay at Novotel and injury updates on kids I've never heard of. It's so boring between matchdays.

I even found myself talking to the wife last night.
Don’t worry next weeks episode of wolves tv, the question everyone wants to know, does Coady put butter on his toast as well as beans? its going to be a real blockbuster.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Logging on now and reading about Royal Caribbean sponsoring the training ground kit, people asking if the players stay at Novotel and injury updates on kids I've never heard of. It's so boring between matchdays.

I even found myself talking to the wife last night.
Is the transfer window more about exciting than actual football?

Genuine question

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We apparently tried to sign Jerome Boateng.

Think our recruitment team took Lage's requests for an aggressive defender too literally if we tried to sign him and Ruben Semedo

"Boateng made his debut for Lyon as a substitute in the weekend's 3-1 win over Strasbourg, despite being found guilty of assaulting his ex-girlfriend a few days prior."

Yeah, dodged another bullet I think!!

Back
Top Bottom