Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We didn't play him and we didn't take up the option on him.....do you blame him?
At the time the rumours had it that the player indicated that he wouldn't sign permanently hence exercising the option wasn't possible.

Also at the time many on here were saying that he was rubbish and a waste of money. Those of us who said that he needed time to acclimatise were pooh-poohed.....

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though....

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair though he hardly got a run of game time to do so.
But as far as I understood it at the time, he wasn’t putting the effort in at training to warrant Nuno giving him a start. If any coach can get players running through brick walls for them, it was Nuno. Vitinha wasn’t cutting it. Another that wanted mainland Europe and instead ended up at English West Midlands.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
But as far as I understood it at the time, he wasn’t putting the effort in at training to warrant Nuno giving him a start. If any coach can get players running through brick walls for them, it was Nuno. Vitinha wasn’t cutting it. Another that wanted mainland Europe and instead ended up at English West Midlands.
Him silva and hoever were always being *******ed by Nuno for not training properly

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Him silva and hoever were always being *******ed by Nuno for not training properly
That is why a performance coach can be worth their weight in gold. It is not a 100% but to be able to motivate is to get into the mindset of the player if you want good success. Sometimes you have that in certain managers. Shanks had it by the bucketful, Cloughie had it with most. Hopefully GON looks as if he could have that to get our second team playing better than Lope's first team.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite clear Hugo Bueno needs moving on. Hopefully we can get a 2-5m fee for him.

So does doc but I can’t see that one happening.

For me it’s:

- kilman out - 30m
- Neto out - 40m-50m

Then some others like bueno, podence out.

Recall Mosquera, sign 2 x cbs, 2 x cfs, winger, and keeper (Bentley out)

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Quite clear Hugo Bueno needs moving on. Hopefully we can get a 2-5m fee for him.

So does doc but I can’t see that one happening.

For me it’s:

- kilman out - 30m
- Neto out - 40m-50m

Then some others like bueno, podence out.

Recall Mosquera, sign 2 x cbs, 2 x cfs, winger, and keeper (Bentley out)
2-5m for Hugo? He was very good last season and is still young. I wouldn’t be selling for a low fee.

Also wouldn’t take 40-50m for Neto.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2-5m for Hugo? He was very good last season and is still young. I wouldn’t be selling for a low fee.

Also wouldn’t take 40-50m for Neto.
Hugo was linked with bigger money move I think reports from Spain was min of €10m not that long ago was a regular under JL.

Neto depends who comes in for him City or Saudi will give us what we want.

Interesting summer ahead in terms of departures we could make mega millions Neto & Kilman is £100m alone potentially when you combine both rumoured fees

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to be selling Hugo,
Might be worth considering loaning him out for a season if GON prefers Doc to be RAN’s backup though. Celtic were apparently interested.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman should be the one we look to cash in on this window. He hasn't quite been at his best this season and is pure profit. If we can get £40m+ for him we should sell. Brighton got £50m for White 3 years ago so we should be looking for something similar, unless there is a Brighton premium now as well as an English premium.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only going to happen if the outgoings also get done early, which is unlikely. It's the way of things at Wolves and I don't expect a change. Better not to build expectations.
Given the general tone on finances from most clubs, I'd imagine very little will happen until July.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can get £40m+ for him we should sell
This gets repeated on here ad nauseam but I don't see a world in which anyone bids even close to that for Max on this season's form.

(I know, Napoli etc etc... just don't think there's a chance personally)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he? He has been at it ten years. Apart from brighton leicester and villa we are the most successful second tier club moving up over last decade or so.
Also having a more consistent business CV than many other club chairmen. You don't need someone from the football mafia in charge, just someone who can act as administrator and intermediary between the club and owners.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This gets repeated on here ad nauseam but I don't see a world in which anyone bids even close to that for Max on this season's form.

(I know, Napoli etc etc... just don't think there's a chance personally)
Wasn’t Man Utd linked in the other week? New money with big Jim at the helm

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is he? He has been at it ten years. Apart from brighton leicester and villa we are the most successful second tier club moving up over last decade or so.
1) It's 8 years despite having never been in that position before at any conpany or be qualified for it outside of China. He's overseen record losses despite raising ticket prices higher than they've ever been.

2) So we're not the most successful club to come up from the second tier

The desperation to make Shi sound competent is always baffling to me.

Reactions: Ian

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1) It's 8 years despite having never been in that position before at any conpany or be qualified for it outside of China. He's overseen record losses despite raising ticket prices higher than they've ever been.

2) So we're not the most successful club to come up from the second tier

The desperation to make Shi sound competent is always baffling to me.
I am in no way a fan of Shi but this post exemplifies the schizophrenia of at least some Mixers... Wah, it's unfair that tickets have gone up; Wah, it's unfair that Fosun aren't investing; Wah, it's unfair that the club are making allegedly record losses...

So what you want is dirt cheap tickets, massive investment and big profits..... Right......

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's getting towards that time of year when we're linked with every man and his dog only to see them fall by the wayside, one by one.
If only I could switch off on the final day and then look again a week before the season starts but that ain't going to happen.

No doubt we'll be entertained by another summer charade that goes on forever, only for the bloke to choose Fulham at the last minute or his agent double the asking price.

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil has effectively saved our short-term future with the way he has improved players.

We're seemingly reliant on selling to buy and we're now in a position where his coaching has given us 4 players who would easily command fees in excess of £40m (Cunha, Neto, Ait-Nouri, Gomes), and in some cases substantially more. There's also Kilman.

I remember saying a few years ago that we needed to change our style of play to get the maximum out of these players, with Brighton the obvious example. Big clubs don't buy players if they don't have the numbers and don't show they could fit into their system.

Where we used to be defensive and negative, we're not a good watch, and it's easy for us to say it on a forum, but it's another for O'Neil to do it. Imagine how bleak the future would be if Ait-Nouri, Cunha and Neto hadn't transformed? This should at least give us a strong base to build on in the years to come - as long as Fosun do the bare minimum and allow us to spend what we bring in, which is by no means guaranteed.

As for the window, we're in an unusual position where we need squad fillers IMO, other than replacing the one or two big players that are sold.

Our XI is very good for us, and, realistically, we're going to struggle to spend on established players to get in our XI, maybe with the exception of the defence. It's about beefing up the squad.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am in no way a fan of Shi but this post exemplifies the schizophrenia of at least some Mixers... Wah, it's unfair that tickets have gone up; Wah, it's unfair that Fosun aren't investing; Wah, it's unfair that the club are making allegedly record losses...

So what you want is dirt cheap tickets, massive investment and big profits..... Right......
That's a bit unfair.

We're the only club to continually raise prices in the Premier League over the past five years.

We justified initial price rises due to on-pitch success, so by that logic they should've gone down.

This is all pointless anyway to be honest, as the difference a price rise makes to any Premier League club is next to nothing in the big picture. But whatever, we won't change that ourselves.

I think in a realistic world, raising prices when the ground is poor and in some cases terrible - Steve Bull Stand, so no investment, and there's no net investment into the team, the ticket prices shouldn't go up.

We're fourth lowest for wage bill in the Premier League.
We've made around £80-100m in the windows this season?
It's accepted by almost everyone that the ground is not suitable in certain areas.

So, ticket prices is something we should all be on the same page with. They should not go up again.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

The losses aren't alleged they are in the accounts.

I must have missed the bit where a business needs to operate at a loss to have success and to gain investment.

And I must have missed the bit where I posted any of that.

Club simps make my skin crawl.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The losses aren't alleged they are in the accounts.

I must have missed the bit where a business needs to operate at a loss to have success and to gain investment.

And I must have missed the bit where I posted any of that.

Club simps make my skin crawl.
Hahaha Look at my posting history and then say that l'm "a club simp". What l am is a professionally trained analyst who spent over 35 years of my career identifying, among other things, logic inconsistencies and fails.....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a bit unfair.

We're the only club to continually raise prices in the Premier League over the past five years.

We justified initial price rises due to on-pitch success, so by that logic they should've gone down.

This is all pointless anyway to be honest, as the difference a price rise makes to any Premier League club is next to nothing in the big picture. But whatever, we won't change that ourselves.

I think in a realistic world, raising prices when the ground is poor and in some cases terrible - Steve Bull Stand, so no investment, and there's no net investment into the team, the ticket prices shouldn't go up.

We're fourth lowest for wage bill in the Premier League.
We've made around £80-100m in the windows this season?
It's accepted by almost everyone that the ground is not suitable in certain areas.

So, ticket prices is something we should all be on the same page with. They should not go up again.
I actually agree some of that. The issue is that our ticket prices are still below the median and the club is located in an area where other earning opportunities are frankly limited. Hence ticket revenue is perhaps more important to us than to others.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hahaha Look at my posting history and then say that l'm "a club simp". What l am is a professionally trained analyst who spent over 35 years of my career identifying, among other things, logic inconsistencies and fails.....
So being an analyst of some repute why would you claim the clubs losses are alleged?

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to be selling Hugo,
Might be worth considering loaning him out for a season if GON prefers Doc to be RAN’s backup though. Celtic were apparently interested.

Agree H Bueno needs a season of first team football at a good level, we can't sell him yet.

Back
Top Bottom