Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see him as a starter for us that soon after his move.
He would need to work to get a start.
You think Nathan Fraser or Bellegarde would be starting ahead of Broja? Okay.

I think you just misread the article and are now trying to backtrack.

As I said, it's a shame for all parties that he didn't come here. I wonder if we'll go back for him in the summer? Seems O'Neil is a big fan and Chelsea may be in a position where they have to sell.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As I said, it's a shame for all parties that he didn't come here. I wonder if we'll go back for him in the summer? Seems O'Neil is a big fan and Chelsea may be in a position where they have to sell.
What did Broja do against us? Total donkey. Did one good run which came to nothing. Fabio did a lot of that

Madmalc

Reaction score

I just don't see any new signing simply walking into a starting berth in our squad. Particularly one recovering from an ACL injury.
The £4m looks like he needed to start as soon as he got out of the Limo, and start every game from then on.
It just wouldn't happen pretty much anywhere.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. He would've played here.

They're only paying because he hasn't started enough games.
Would he have started 60% of our games? There were 16 league games left at the end of January, so we're talking 10 out of 16 games. If Cunha, Hwang and Neto don't get injured, he doesn't start that many games, or are you using hindsight? We'd have had to pay that £4m fee if they were healthy and in a race for a European spot. He'd have been 5th choice after those three and Sarabia.

Rowzed

Reaction score
If and its a big if Luton go down we should be all over the centre half(mengi I think) and the big lad up front whose injured ATM
Elija Adebayo scores some great goals with a high conversion percentage in a team that don’t get many, and he works hard

If Luton were to go down, and I hope they don’t, then he could be a handy number 9 without breaking the bank or the team spirit

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja has never been prolific. He had a good spell at Southampton scored six goals and had an Acl. Go do some scouting and purchase a player from South America for half the fee. .

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there’s very little chance but I wish we could get Solanke I think he’s definitely a player who fits the way we play

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would he have started 60% of our games? There were 16 league games left at the end of January, so we're talking 10 out of 16 games. If Cunha, Hwang and Neto don't get injured, he doesn't start that many games, or are you using hindsight? We'd have had to pay that £4m fee if they were healthy and in a race for a European spot. He'd have been 5th choice after those three and Sarabia.
Of course I'm using the injuries because it's our reality. Broja would have started for us in 60% of the games, quite easily, IMO.

Every transfer has an element of risk to it. I understand why we didn't (I don't agree with it, but I understand), but as I said initially, a shame for all parties that he isn't here.

Marco Silva gives off Lopetegui vibes on transfers to me, can imagine he was desperate for Fulham to get him despite having decent options already.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course I'm using the injuries because it's our reality. Broja would have started for us in 60% of the games, quite easily, IMO.

Every transfer has an element of risk to it. I understand why we didn't (I don't agree with it, but I understand), but as I said initially, a shame for all parties that he isn't here.

Marco Silva gives off Lopetegui vibes on transfers to me, can imagine he was desperate for Fulham to get him despite having decent options already.
I think it's easy to say in hindsight, but it's very possible if we had signed him he wouldn't have started 10 out of 16 games ahead of those four forwards. There was no way of knowing we would lose three of our forwards in quick succession. If you include his wages we're talking about £6m for a four month loan, Fulham got absolutely spaffed.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
I think it's easy to say in hindsight, but it's very possible if we had signed him he wouldn't have started 10 out of 16 games ahead of those four forwards. There was no way of knowing we would lose three of our forwards in quick succession. If you include his wages we're talking about £6m for a four month loan, Fulham got absolutely spaffed.
That £6m cost would also have been included in the 2023/24 accounts

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
giphy.gif

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These people are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to make decisions.

The idea that you can't judge in hindsight is hilarious. Especially in this instance when literally the vast majority knew injuries were likely, so it wasn't actually hindsight lol.

But, either way, generally, sporting directors/transfer people are there to make decisions with the future in mind.

Imagine you lot with United. £86m on Antony. £73m on Sancho. Ah well, unlucky lads, they were alright before, not your fault :D

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These people are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds to make decisions.

The idea that you can't judge in hindsight is hilarious. Especially in this instance when literally the vast majority knew injuries were likely.
While l'm not ecstatic either l can safely say that they would have way better info about all of this risk factors and the exact financial situation than random folk on the Mix....

Sometimes informed risktaking is required

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While l'm not ecstatic either l can safely say that they would have way better info about all of this risk factors and the exact financial situation than random folk on the Mix....

Sometimes informed risktaking is required
The financial cost was £0 and wages according to the report...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The financial cost was £0 and wages according to the report...
That does assume that the report is wholly accurate.... What are the wages too???

I would personally feel much happier if we had another forward but can't change the facts so....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That does assume that the report is wholly accurate.... What are the wages too???
Yes it does.

My initial point was the fee would've been £0 for us because he would've played and it's a shame for Wolves, Fulham, Broja and Chelsea that he isn't here.

Pretty hard to disagree with I presumed for obvious reasons, but here we are.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A 4m fee would have been too much for the club to absorb based on the accounts, right? At least from what's been reported.

Either way, just on principle I am glad the club didn't do that style of deal with Chelsea. Don't like the idea they can formally make the manager pick a player.

He would of course have helped, at least a little....who knows how much though. He hasn't played well in forever.

It's a shame about Yuri Alberto, but a good sign for scouting I guess.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
The pessimists knew we’d have all these injuries, they also knew we’d be in a relegation scrap!
Pessimism is safety, I suppose. If things go badly you can say I told you so, if they go well you can be happy with overachieving! I should know- I thought we'd go down at the start of the season.

Reactions: Ian

Madmalc

Reaction score
It’s not hindsight that we needed a forward. Neto was recovering from a hamstring injury and Hwang has a long record of niggly injuries. I’m not saying Broja was the answer but i find it impossible to believe we couldn’t have found a better option than Fraser for an acceptable fee.
I don't recall seeing any better option than Fraser moving anywhere in the January window for an acceptable fee, so don't think we missed out on any available forward.
At least no one has mentioned someone we missed, who has done any good elsewhere, since moving in January.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. He would've played here.

They're only paying because he hasn't started enough games.
he would play now due to injury only. he wouldn’t have started so the danger was he may not have reached that clause so would have been forced to pick a player so we didn’t have to pay money we couldn’t afford to.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it does.

My initial point was the fee would've been £0 for us because he would've played and it's a shame for Wolves, Fulham, Broja and Chelsea that he isn't here.

Pretty hard to disagree with I presumed for obvious reasons, but here we are.
but at the time he wouldn’t have so it would have cost us money we couldn’t afford to pay..

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not hindsight that we needed a forward. Neto was recovering from a hamstring injury and Hwang has a long record of niggly injuries. I’m not saying Broja was the answer but i find it impossible to believe we couldn’t have found a better option than Fraser for an acceptable fee.
We found one.

The fee was agreed and he was coming by all accounts, then his agents bumped their fees at the last minute to hold the deal for ransom, we refused to pay.

Remember all the praise we gave the club for being tight on FFP (or whatever it's called now) ?

Those fees could have ****ed that up for us.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Pessimists are seldom disappointed.
Before joining this forum, I was a devout pessimist when it came to our club. I did find comfort in looking down rather than up!

But I realised that football is there to entertain and to be enjoyed in general. When the day we stop doing so well comes, I'll remain hopeful instead of getting myself down. This forum is really helping me appreciate WWFC more, and in particular what it means to the supporters. Sorry for the unnecessary ramble at this time in the morning, I am just really enjoying it here. Never felt so welcome on a forum before TBH.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Before joining this forum, I was a devout pessimist when it came to our club. I did find comfort in looking down rather than up!

But I realised that football is there to entertain and to be enjoyed in general. When the day we stop doing so well comes, I'll remain hopeful instead of getting myself down. This forum is really helping me appreciate WWFC more, and in particular what it means to the supporters. Sorry for the unnecessary ramble at this time in the morning, I am just really enjoying it here. Never felt so welcome on a forum before TBH.
Never lose the pessimist streak with Wolves. They have a capacity to disappoint that other clubs fail to reach either in the level or frequency. It also means the successes are more appreciated and the lows are what you expected.

I’d hate to support a club where the expectation was winning the league every year. Not because I don’t want to win the league but rather it becomes toxic when expectations aren’t met. Think of the football we watched in the championship and not getting anywhere.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he would play now due to injury only. he wouldn’t have started so the danger was he may not have reached that clause so would have been forced to pick a player so we didn’t have to pay money we couldn’t afford to.
exactly this. £4m could well have pushed us over the edge for FFP so we could have ended up in the scenario of playing a striker who isn't performing and having to leave two of Neto, Hwang, Sarabia and Cunha on the bench.

Then the same posters would be complaining about team selection, Jeff messing up again etc... etc... etc...

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Never lose the pessimist streak with Wolves. They have a capacity to disappoint that other clubs fail to reach either in the level or frequency. It also means the successes are more appreciated and the lows are what you expected.

I’d hate to support a club where the expectation was winning the league every year. Not because I don’t want to win the league but rather it becomes toxic when expectations aren’t met. Think of the football we watched in the championship and not getting anywhere.
Oh trust me, I will never lose the capacity to have and enjoy a good moan about anything in life!

Interesting re: that last part by the way. I've often thought that Man City "fans" and Liverpool fans must get bored of winning? And I hate they, the Sky 6, proclaim every major slip up to be a club-ending disaster. Constant success does create unrealistic and unsustainable expectations. Every great side has its day, the top team or teams always seem to change every 10 - 15 years. I have no dount that Pep will struggle when the next revolutionary manager joins a fellow top side!

Anyway... The infighting amongst those fanbases seems like it'd be awful to be a part of.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Fraser, but Broja would be a significant upgrade on him. He'd have done far better for playing time here too as it turns out!
Yes agree.... obviously the 4m loan fee was ridiculous....I get why we didn't do it...

All the talk of 30m for him is waffle as well.... Chelsea tried but got no takers....I think he might go for a few of around 15m in the summer....not saying he should be the main target but I think we should be asking the question....price pending....

In a daft way him going to Fulham and not playing might reduce his price in the summer....had he come here and done ok it may have been more....I was impressed when he came on , although it was only briefly...he game Fulham a target and a bit of aggression they missed....which is also something we miss .

We probably need 2 strikers in the summer as apposed to going big on one....2 , 15m players over one 30m player maybe....one of them a safe bet which Broja could be...

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just can't take a player on loan with a clause to say they have to start 60% of games (or pay £4m), unless they are significantly better than what you have already.

Broja doesn't start when Cunha, Neto and Hwang are fit.

Yes, he would be nice to have now, but we would have been stupid to agree to that at the time.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there’s very little chance but I wish we could get Solanke I think he’s definitely a player who fits the way we play
Yeah and with GON's links to B'Muff . . .

Think he is probably a level above us though. Can see him going to Spurs or Utd.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah and with GON's links to B'Muff . . .

Think he is probably a level above us though. Can see him going to Spurs or Utd.
Why Spuds or Yernited?

Yernited have Hojlund, Rashford, Garnacho and Martial in attacking positions. Even if Martial leaves, Solanke isn't getting in the side above the three left.
Spuds have Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Johnson and Werner (loan). Even if they don't sign Werner (they will, I think), Solanke doesn't get in the side ahead of those.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why Spuds or Yernited?

Yernited have Hojlund, Rashford, Garnacho and Martial in attacking positions. Even if Martial leaves, Solanke isn't getting in the side above the three left.
Spuds have Son, Richarlison, Kulusevski, Johnson and Werner (loan). Even if they don't sign Werner (they will, I think), Solanke doesn't get in the side ahead of those.
Well ManUre's forward line is pretty poor. If they were happy with it, they wouldn't be looking at signing Kane, who I don't think they can attract, so will go for the next level down like Solanke or Toney or Watkins.

Spurs have shown an interest in neto which suggests they are shopping in the market for a forward.

Just think he is a bit out of our reach financially and in terms of ability.

What do we reckon £40M?

Back
Top Bottom