Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Strength in depth

Marvellous007

Groupie
Reaction score
What concerns me is that our first 13 are good enough to compete with anyone but the rest of the squad of players are just not good enough and would struggle to get in any championship ,side it does need addressing

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What concerns me is that our first 13 are good enough to compete with anyone but the rest of the squad of players are just not good enough and would struggle to get in any championship ,side it does need addressing
Really?? Another thread on squad depth..... :rolleyes:
i will point out the team and bench from the last game;
patrickio
coady
saiss
dendoncker
semedo
jonny
neves
moutinho
traore
neto
jose

bench
ait-nouri
hoever
Marcal
silva
MGW
ruddy
kilman
vitinha
Otasowie

notable absentees
boly
podence
jimenez

I saw the bench the other day, and thought - doesn’t look too bad. Throw in the 3 senior players missing and bench looks a whole lot stronger.
So there is 23 players listed there, and we all know of the silva debate - which frankly is bloody boring now - but which are the 10 players who would struggle to get in a championship side?

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Think it’s a tad unfair to bemoan our strength in depth. There are literally a couple of sides in the League who have genuine quality in every position in reserve. You can make the case for City and Chelsea, but look at the vast sums they’ve spent. They can use £40-£50m plus just on a player to sit on the bench. Man Utd have a string squad but are held back by a poor manager. Liverpool have strength in depth but most of their injuries have been in the same position. Beyond that? I’m not sure.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy
RB Kilman Saiss Marcal
Donk Otasowie Vitinha
MGW Silva Ait Nouri

Obviously a few out of position and we need a RB. That team would hold its own in the champ

Edit. Bringing back the loan players would give us more options (Sanderson, Giles, Toti, Shabani, Buur, Sarkic)

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We replaced Jonny with Marcal and then Ait Nouri.

Kilman and Hoever for other cover.

The lack in other areas is due to injuries.
Not too shabby.

What I would say is we need to focus on a top drawer centre back and a top drawer central midfielder. But that has been the case for a while.

Just think back to where we were 2 months ago, now that was a lack of depth!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We don’t need to throw the baby out with the bath water come the Summer .We will need to address the loanee players but more fundamentally we need to find a commanding centre back and a box to box midfield player .
The other issues centre on Raul getting fit ,Silva pushing on, and possibly a re-think on how we set up and start games .
We are far from having to start again but we definitely need to re-evaluate where we are now so we can push on again .
I just want us safe mathematically and then make those key decisions

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's pretty simple really.

We have a finite amount of money. Should we spend that on a small # of good players, or a big number of average players? Don't complain about the small squad, if you enjoy the amzing things the first choice players can do.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Raul looking to be back before the season is out the striking area will finally have the number of players for first team in the mix. Mental we only went into the season with 2 options

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Really?? Another thread on squad depth..... :rolleyes:
i will point out the team and bench from the last game;
patrickio
coady
saiss
dendoncker
semedo
jonny
neves
moutinho
traore
neto
jose

bench
ait-nouri
hoever
Marcal
silva
MGW
ruddy
kilman
vitinha
Otasowie

notable absentees
boly
podence
jimenez

I saw the bench the other day, and thought - doesn’t look too bad. Throw in the 3 senior players missing and bench looks a whole lot stronger.
So there is 23 players listed there, and we all know of the silva debate - which frankly is bloody boring now - but which are the 10 players who would struggle to get in a championship side?
Close Thread.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at Southampton and Burnley’s bench, we are no different to a few prem teams. Only the big 8 spenders have really strong benches, Everton abd West Ham I add to the 6. Look at Villa, Keenan Davis on the bench, he’s garbage

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sign 4/5 players we could break top 6 but these have to be players to make impact straight away

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this season we have the strongest squad we have ever had in the Premier league. We just miss a quality match ready striker and a different centre midfield option. We were lucky in the last couple of seasons with injuries which has not been the case this time.
Keep our best players next season, add a couple of quality additions and we are in the 5thmto 8th place group Imo.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The spine of the team for me, a back up keeper, Ruddy isn’t upto it if Rui is out.
Top class centre back, I keep saying it but let’s push for Tarkowski. Dias shows what one player can do to a defence
Centre midfielder, I do like that Anguisa at Fulham
And another striker, I’m torn on Jose as he seems a bit past it at 29, that needs a Mendes rabbit pulling out the hat

Added to our current squad that’s top 6

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at Southampton and Burnley’s bench, we are no different to a few prem teams. Only the big 8 spenders have really strong benches, Everton abd West Ham I add to the 6. Look at Villa, Keenan Davis on the bench, he’s garbage

So if we don't change, we will remain much the same as Southampton and Burnley? Going up and down the table between 8th and 16th like yo-yo's, depending on whose injured this week. Fine with me as I believe we still have a long way to go until we are genuinely established as a Premier League side. Might not please those who think we should be improving position and competing in Europe every year.

Also, it's all well and good to say "add in the 3 injured players and...". But it's pretty much pot luck with injuries. The other side of the coin is "take out another 2 or 3 injured players". Injuries are a fact of life and to have 3 or 4 players in a squad injured at any one time is usual.

Our recent bad run suggests that the squad depth is a key difference between us and the top 6.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are caught between a rock and a hard place at the moment

We have strengthened the squad no doubt,but we have 3 loan players with options to buy to do that
Buy them and thats the war chest gone, and we dont get new players in,dont buy them and we have to find replacements as we will be weakened again

FFP stops us from going crazy in the market,we have already been fined for ignoring it once
Quality players cost quality wages as well as the fees involved,i fear we may have to sell before we buy again,and that in turn will weaken the squad as it would have to be Traore or Neves you would think

So yes we need a couple of quality players but its not as simple as some think to do that and keep what we have

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of depth, we're probably short in 2 positions, in terms of senior players. A wide player & a CM.

That’s not bad & I do think it's important we are seen as a club, for younger players, where they have a realistic shot at breaking into the 1st 11.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The spine of the team for me, a back up keeper, Ruddy isn’t upto it if Rui is out.
Top class centre back, I keep saying it but let’s push for Tarkowski. Dias shows what one player can do to a defence
Centre midfielder, I do like that Anguisa at Fulham
And another striker, I’m torn on Jose as he seems a bit past it at 29, that needs a Mendes rabbit pulling out the hat

Added to our current squad that’s top 6
Ruddy is 34 now and is ok as a short term back up whilst Sondergaard gets some experience.Ruddy may choose to say having regard to his age and what is going on

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
In terms of depth, we're probably short in 2 positions, in terms of senior players. A wide player & a CM.

That’s not bad & I do think it's important we are seen as a club, for younger players, where they have a realistic shot at breaking into the 1st 11.
Given the choice I would prefer a dominant CB to a wide player

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the choice I would prefer a dominant CB to a wide player
I think @Golden_Wolf is more saying that those are the positions we are short of options in, rather than the options we have being good enough.

I think most would agree we need a top CB, especially if we want to go to a back 4, but we arent actually short of players for that position where as we are probably short another forward who can play either wide or in a 10 (if we play with one).

If we stick with a back 3 I’d say a CB (as an upgrade for one of our current ones) and CM are required, if 4-2-3-1 then probably a wide forward is needed as well as / instead of a CM dependant on budget available.

With a 4-2-3-1 a box to box midfielder becomes less of a priority as the 10 should do the forward work and the 2 CM’s can sit a bit more.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy is 34 now and is ok as a short term back up whilst Sondergaard gets some experience.Ruddy may choose to say having regard to his age and what is going on

From what I have seen the lad Sarkic we have on loan at Shrewsbury is going to be better than Sondergaard - at 6' 5" Sarkic dominates the area better and looks to have excellent distribution form the clips of have seen from his loan in Scotland and Shrewsbury.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
From what I have seen the lad Sarkic we have on loan at Shrewsbury is going to be better than Sondergaard - at 6' 5" Sarkic dominates the area better and looks to have excellent distribution form the clips of have seen from his loan in Scotland and Shrewsbury.
Is Sarkic that tall ?If he is fair enough but he hasn’t looked that tall in the clips I have seen of him.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know where we are short and I hope that will be addressed in the summer. If we are to genuinely to compete at this level we need to factor in injuries and I think the policy of buying youth and expecting them to step up has not worked. Imv we need 2 players in each position who can start Prem games if need be and when they do they are able to make a contribution.

D

Deleted member 11332

Realistically if we are moving to a back 4 we need a top quality cb and wide man who could also play more centrally. Don't need major surgery really.

I know this is unlikely but say we got Kounde to partner boly and verscharen from Anderlecht to play as an am for us we would be a side who could challenge for the top 6 comfortably.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know where we are short and I hope that will be addressed in the summer. If we are to genuinely to compete at this level we need to factor in injuries and I think the policy of buying youth and expecting them to step up has not worked. Imv we need 2 players in each position who can start Prem games if need be and when they do they are able to make a contribution.

The youth policy may work, but it is going to take at least 2 more seasons to even begin to bring in returns.

I think there are bargains with experienced players in the transfer market. They just said Coufal cost West Ham £5M, for example.

Oh yes, we don't "all know" anything :D Plenty of disageement and polarisation. A fair few seem to think that nothing can change and everything is exactly the only way it can be. That backup strikers never work. That FFP means we can't buy an experienced players and so on. Everything is already as good as it can be. Our squad is perfectly deep enough, we are not lightweight and so on.

The point is that it isn't that affordable experienced players who would improve the squad aren't available. If we don't get them, it would appear to be by choice, choosing other approaches. And we stand or fall by those choices.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy
RB Kilman Saiss Marcal
Donk Otasowie Vitinha
MGW Silva Ait Nouri

Obviously a few out of position and we need a RB. That team would hold its own in the champ

Edit. Bringing back the loan players would give us more options (Sanderson, Giles, Toti, Shabani, Buur, Sarkic)
Add Mir and Cutrone to your returning loanees list...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or Sarkic who is getting rave reviews at Shrewsbury.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy
RB Kilman Saiss Marcal
Donk Otasowie Vitinha
MGW Silva Ait Nouri

Hoever would be the right back. Our 'reserves' would be a force in the Championship

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think @Golden_Wolf is more saying that those are the positions we are short of options in, rather than the options we have being good enough.

I think most would agree we need a top CB, especially if we want to go to a back 4, but we arent actually short of players for that position where as we are probably short another forward who can play either wide or in a 10 (if we play with one).

If we stick with a back 3 I’d say a CB (as an upgrade for one of our current ones) and CM are required, if 4-2-3-1 then probably a wide forward is needed as well as / instead of a CM dependant on budget available.

With a 4-2-3-1 a box to box midfielder becomes less of a priority as the 10 should do the forward work and the 2 CM’s can sit a bit more.

Couldn't have said it better to be honest

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who hasn't stepped up?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who hasn't stepped up?
You know the young players who haven't stepped up?; we all do. As usual you're angling for a fight. It's pathetic. I'm all for young players but 18 and 19 with no genuine top level experience is not 'back up' as far as I'm concerned.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree. I've been one saying we could do with that powerhouse midfielder that can drive us forward, but if the plan is to play four at the back in predominantly 4-2-3-1 then all of a sudden that type of midfielder isn't a priority, in fact it would almost come off the list altogether with a dominant centre back and more options in the forward areas being the new priorities

Back
Top Bottom