Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve McClaren Euro 2008 Punditry

J

jonesey85

Steve Mclaren has been commentating on the Croatia game according to TalkSport.

I found it especially astounding when one listener rang in and reckoned Mclaren had said he was "surprised by the croatian's bright start!!!!"

You couldnt make it up could you!

Does anybody think that this is a bad move by the Beeb? I do. And I think it is a bad move by SM himself to take the offer to be honest.

Its too soon and we are all still annoyed by our failure to qualify. I think this is a highly unprofessional move by both parties.

I have nothing against Mclaren as a person... I dont know the bloke, but what I do know is that he has a high association and involvement in a lot of English football's recent pain.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BBC should not give this $$$$ing $$$$$$$ $$$$ money...

He should never ever be given money by anyone.

$$$$$

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard him tonight on the way home in the car...he's not a great pundit....and he's full of boring cliches as well...."the lad did well", "he's got two great feet".
He even thanked the BBC for making him feel welcome......
He's so full of remorse that he keeps on apologising saying how great it would be if England were competing.....

We $$$$ing well know that Steve....that's why I'm driving my car through Birmingham with the radio on listening to you wittering when i should be in Austria having a good time!
Thing is...he's not a bright man. Alex Ferguson employed him as a football coach, not as anybody who was ever going to be a threat to his position as manager...just the same as Brian Kidd and Carlos Queiroz.
It's the FA's fault for appointing McClaren National Manager above his capabilities and turning him into this broken wreck.

Graham Taylor was much better on the Poland match.

C

cooper_J

The first question is why were you listening to Talk Sport? Load of bloody tosh.

It irritates me that second choice Steve is there spouting his opinions. What is it about failed England managers and babbling rubbish during live games? Taylor I can understand as his opinions are valid and he talks alot of sense.

But Hoddle, Venables and McClaren? A trinity of absolute $$$$e.

D

Denmead Wolf

BBC should not give this $$$ $$$$$$$ $$$$ money...

He should never ever be given money by anyone.

$$$$$

This is too polite Glasgow. I commented on this prior to the tournament and think its an absolute disgrace that we are all sat at home watching it on the box, because of one mans failings. And the BBC pay that man to go to Austria and Switzerland to remind us of why we are not there. Paying the licence fee as law, when there are so many other modems of media and communication we can CHOOSE is pure communism. Arrgghhh, why did I read this thread I knew it would wind me up!!! :mad::mad:$$$$in Steve $$$$in McLown can $$$$ off and spend his pay off some other $$$$in place, but not be in my $$$$in ears each night commentating about a $$$$in tournament he $$$$in failed to get us to. he is a quite annoying gentleman!!!!:mad::mad:

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
This is too polite Glasgow. I commented on this prior to the tournament and think its an absolute disgrace that we are all sat at home watching it on the box, because of one mans failings. And the BBC pay that man to go to Austria and Switzerland to remind us of why we are not there. Paying the licence fee as law, when there are so many other modems of media and communication we can CHOOSE is pure communism. Arrgghhh, why did I read this thread I knew it would wind me up!!! :mad::mad:$$$ Steve $$$ McLown can $$$$ off and spend his pay off some other $$$ place, but not be in my $$$ ears each night commentating about a $$$ tournament he $$$ failed to get us to. he is a quite annoying gentleman!!!!:mad::mad:
Quaintly put- and correct.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the two Croation games he's commented on and came across as very knowlegeable about them IMO.

Pity the out of his depth England Manager could not put into practice that knowledge when they were the actual opposition.

M

MK Panther

Are you trying to say you are $$$$$ upset to $$$$$$ care what he $$$$$$$ says because he $$$$$$$ failed to get England to $$$$$$$ qualify for this $$$$$$$ event, if I heard you right?

This is too polite Glasgow. I commented on this prior to the tournament and think its an absolute disgrace that we are all sat at home watching it on the box, because of one mans failings. And the BBC pay that man to go to Austria and Switzerland to remind us of why we are not there. Paying the licence fee as law, when there are so many other modems of media and communication we can CHOOSE is pure communism. Arrgghhh, why did I read this thread I knew it would wind me up!!! :mad::mad:$$$ Steve $$$ McLown can $$$$ off and spend his pay off some other $$$ place, but not be in my $$$ ears each night commentating about a $$$ tournament he $$$ failed to get us to. he is a quite annoying gentleman!!!!:mad::mad:

M

MK Panther

I am so $$$$$$$ $$ $$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$ $$$$$ $$ $ so there!

B

Black Suit

When are the pathetic players going to get a share of the blame? It is not one man's failing.

Capello has hardly set the world on fire has he?

We have a relatively small pool of overrated players to choose from, yes we should have qualified but to blame that bloke alone is plain wrong.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

To quote Barry Glendenning, "Isn't there a law which prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes?"

B

Black Suit

To quote Barry Glendenning, "Isn't there a law which prevents criminals from profiting from their crimes?"

Agreed, but FC would have chosen a very similar team, sightly different tactics, tactics are over-rated, the players must share the responsibility.

I

It's Mixu Paatelainen

Agreed. I blame some of the players more than I blame McLaren. Especially those whose international form is a mile away from their domestic form, such as Gerrard and Fat Frank.

F

fickleasfolk

Agreed, but FC would have chosen a very similar team, sightly different tactics, tactics are over-rated, the players must share the responsibility.

FFS bs tactics were over-rated in the Mclaren era,that was his problem he didn't have many.
He was the most inept manager we have had and as much as we slagged off Sven,he was a football genius compared to Mcalren.
I don't though blame the players and not Mclaren either because who wouldn't take the job if offered?The ultimate blame lies with the FA.

B

Black Suit

FFS bs tactics were over-rated in the Mclaren era,that was his problem he didn't have many.
He was the most inept manager we have had and as much as we slagged off Sven,he was a football genius compared to Mcalren.
I don't though blame the players and not Mclaren either because who wouldn't take the job if offered?The ultimate blame lies with the FA.

That's right. The leaders take the blame!

What about Mick and Jez, oh errrr no. :eek:

A wanderer from Bristol

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mclaren was out of his depth...

He just looked petrified most of the time and his fear transmitted itself to the players.

I think Capello at least understands that he has to get england players to play without fear. He has to get them to stop worrying about what's gonna be written in the press the next day and whether they're going to be booed at every ground in the country. He's got to get them to not be scared of failure. Mclaren was far too scared of failure himself to deal with this. I think Capello knows what he's doing. He has no fear, he has achieved too much in the game to worry now.

By the way, reckon Mclaren is alright as a pundit, not great but better than tayor!

UEAwolf

Reaction score
and much better than the Gary Neville/Andy Townsend combination :)

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When are the pathetic players going to get a share of the blame? It is not one man's failing.

Capello has hardly set the world on fire has he?

We have a relatively small pool of overrated players to choose from, yes we should have qualified but to blame that bloke alone is plain wrong.

Population of Croatia, 4,491,543 (mid 2007)
Population of England, ca 50,762,900 (mid 2006)

Seems Croatia as a far smaller pool to pick from, but far more technically competant.

So, perhaps, the overrated quote is correct Black Suit.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
and much better than the Gary Neville/Andy Townsend combination :)

Don't get me started on the Andy Townsend and his magic circles.:)

Who was that other commentator who always constantly critizes players for missing open goals that he would have got to?....I did not think Pele was on ITV

Dougal McGuire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
During the Trinidad & Tobago friendly, Alan Shearer ( and others ) commented on how the players didn't want the game as "they would rather be on their holidays".

W

wolfie smith

the players thought they were bigger than the manager (mclaren
), we now have a manager with stature who wont accept mediocre.
the croatia i saw last night werent "ronaldos" "kakas" they were just playing for their country with pride, played simple football, passed and moved with pace, didnt overract at refs decisions and were a joy to watch.
i like the way they kept the ball, the centre backs immediately forged forward with the ball not just passing it side to side and 2 inches forward to one of several midfielders sitting in front of them.

B

broughtonwolf

During the Trinidad & Tobago friendly, Alan Shearer ( and others ) commented on how the players didn't want the game as "they would rather be on their holidays".

And on that occasion I agree with them - it was a shameless exercise in football politics to cosy up to someone who can help us get votes. Seven substitutes later it was very nearly pulled from offical records.

Waste of time.

R

RichRalph

I couldn't bring myself to listen.
How can the other commentator sit next to him with out questionning everything he says?
Eg.
"Why didn't you do that then Steve?"

J

jbarnettuk1984

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his voice. A disgraceful decision by the Beeb to take him on during a tournament which we're not even in, due to the bloke’s mediocrity.

The saddest thing is, I have watched most of the games in the Euro's this year, and there has been at least one team in every game that I have looked at and thought "If England WERE there and WERE playing you, we would be losing"

Sad times...

As for Steve McClaren - he is an utter $$$$.

F

Famous Grouch

When will an England manager pick an entire team of players who are burning with pride to play for their country? It's a lot more than just kissing the badge. For most of the players it just means a load more money. How many times should the present 'golden' crop of England internationals fail before they are consigned to the scrapheap?

T

Tettenhallian

Chris Waddle is best - "He should've went down. He would've had a pellunty."

J

jbarnettuk1984

When will an England manager pick an entire team of players who are burning with pride to play for their country? It's a lot more than just kissing the badge. For most of the players it just means a load more money. How many times should the present 'golden' crop of England internationals fail before they are consigned to the scrapheap?
Indeed. I was calling for wholesale changes when we failed to qualify.
Get rid of all these players who have constantly failed and go with a somewhat 'Wolves approach' and play young & hungry English players, who will put 110% in, in every game.
The pride of playing for your country has gone for certain players.

B

Bedford Wolf

I don't blame SM for not qualifying.
I blame the men who gave him the job in the first place.
It was the FA who made such a mess of getting Big Phil (what ever happened to him?) that we ended up with a man no one wanted. We needed a new broom, fresh ideas, a breath of fresh air. We got more of the same old, tired old tosh that had gone stale under Sven.

D

Del Woppio

To be fair, I doubt the £8k appearance money makes a great deal of difference to them, and I don't think you could ever say that a player doesn't try in an England shirt in a competitive game. The problem lies with having a manager who doesn't just shoehorn the best 11 players into a formation, something that I don't think Fabio will do.

D

Dewsburywolf

Didn't I read somewhere that the players put their appearance fee into a kitty and donate it to nominated Charities these days? If so quite a noble gesture.

Until you realise it's only a day's pay.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't believe that the BBC had decided to take Steve Mclaren as a pundit for this tournament - talk about rubbing our noses in it..so I am personally boycotting R5Live for the duration of the tournament...doubt it'll make one iota of difference but at least it will save me from placing my foot through the radio!!....if I have to listen to the radio I'll tune in to Talkabsoluterubbish and listen to their bilge instead

UEAwolf

Reaction score
To be fair, I doubt the £8k appearance money makes a great deal of difference to them, and I don't think you could ever say that a player doesn't try in an England shirt in a competitive game. The problem lies with having a manager who doesn't just shoehorn the best 11 players into a formation, something that I don't think Fabio will do.

Think the problem is that its no use simply picking the best 11 players-- its picking 11 players able to function and play as a team.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Didn't I read somewhere that the players put their appearance fee into a kitty and donate it to nominated Charities these days? If so quite a noble gesture.

Until you realise it's only a day's pay.

Not if you're Joe Lewis of Peterborough, a place in teh England squad, a trip to Trinidad and £8k all his birthdays come together!!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's this attitude that cripples the England team. I think anyone would be proud to play for their country- what England needs are players who are composed and intelligent about their play and don't run around in some hyped up 'for God and country' mentallist manner. Croatia yesterday were disciplined, kept it simple and had their just rewards. We have Stevie G who charges around like a demented steam locomotive and has the tactical nous of a 3 year old Glenn Hoddle.

P

Paul76

I still don't understand why he played Carson. For that alone, he should be shot.

T

Tettenhallian

It's this attitude that cripples the England team. I think anyone would be proud to play for their country- what England needs are players who are composed and intelligent about their play and don't run around in some hyped up 'for God and country' mentallist manner. Croatia yesterday were disciplined, kept it simple and had their just rewards. We have Stevie G who charges around like a demented steam locomotive and has the tactical nous of a 3 year old Glenn Hoddle.
Word has it that Hoddle was pretty tactically aware as a three-year-old. It was later on that it all went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom