Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Madeley

Status
Not open for further replies.

molinew

Reaction score
Strange reaction to what he's said given he's 100% correct. Someone sat next to me in the North Bank joined in with the "always the victim" chant and he wasn't the only one. Anyone trying to defend that chant as being not about Hillsborough is either too thick to understand the issue or being deliberately dense, or both

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Accusing wolves fans of singing about Hillsborough
I suppose the question is did anyone sing such a song? As the press sit in the Billy Wright it would need to be the whole of the South Bank or North Bank for him to hear. And finally why hasn’t anyone else mentioned it? I think there may have been more than a couple of journalists there.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This bloke clearly wants a job like mr spears got from working on our club.

The major difference is that Tim had a personality and was actually a talented journalist who wrote some great pieces on the club for them and had a good skill set on social media.

This ass hat is just woeful…..

The club need to address what he has said as I don’t know a single person who was at the game who heard these alleged chants……

W

WasStefan

Strange reaction to what he's said given he's 100% correct. Someone sat next to me in the North Bank joined in with the "always the victim" chant and he wasn't the only one. Anyone trying to defend that chant as being not about Hillsborough is either too thick to understand the issue or being deliberately dense, or both
If it was about hillsborough you’d have a point

Do you know for a fact this wasn’t sung before Hillsborough, in reference to Heysel?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry mate, the always the victim but as I see it personally is that they have to find a way to be the victim or blame someone else when their fans or team screw up.

Nothing to do with that event when I call them victimpool…..

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Did they chant that? I didn’t hear anything. If they didn’t then we can add “making stuff up” to the long list of negatives about him.

I hate to see anyone lose their job but I don’t think he is suited to being the “Wolves” journalist at the Athletic.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once a Boggie ****er always a Boggie ****er... Perhaps lots of cancelled subscriptions with an explanation email will get him justifiably sacked.
They have seen a spate of cancelled subscriptions before this, maybe the pressure is on him and he is taking his failings and costing them substantial out on the fans?

He wouldn’t be the first media person to torch a fan base for their own shortcomings to create a narrative of “they hated me because of (insert reason) and never gave me a chance” to future prospective employers.

Also defending the victim narrative of Liverpool will help him carry favour as who is more fashionable? Us or them?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did they chant that? I didn’t hear anything. If then didn’t then we can add “making stuff up” to the long list of negatives about him.

I hate to see anyone lose their job but I don’t think he is suited to being the “Wolves” journalist at the Athletic.
Judging by the amounts of times he is on holiday during the season he isn’t cut out to be a football journalist full stop!

There are two week breaks if not in the cup
And international breaks plus the off season to get holidays in. That is what the sensible and career minded sports journalists do

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t even know what that song is, let alone what it references. Didn’t hear anything that sounded like that in the South Bank. As for Steve I’ve never really joined the bashing of him, I think his articles are good, but I’ve had to unfollow him on Twitter due to the constant bickering with Wolves fans.

W

WasStefan

I don’t even know what that song is, let alone what it references. Didn’t hear anything that sounded like that in the South Bank. As for Steve I’ve never really joined the bashing of him, I think his articles are good, but I’ve had to unfollow him on Twitter due to the constant bickering with Wolves fans.
He’s referencing always the victim chant

molinew

Reaction score
Sorry mate, the always the victim but as I see it personally is that they have to find a way to be the victim or blame someone else when their fans or team screw up.

Nothing to do with that event when I call them victimpool…..

Do you know for a fact this wasn’t sung before Hillsborough, in reference to Heysel?
Stefan, is it too much to ask for people to just not sing songs which may invoke images of stadium disasters in which loads of people died? I hate the 'Sign On' chant for similar reasons, it's just really grim and not actually funny, particularly when people all across the country can't afford to heat their homes and feed their children.

Every team's fanbase has a chip on its shoulder with regards refereeing decisions and the like, but for some reason nobody sings about the fans of other clubs being self-perceived 'victims', only Liverpool... I wonder why...

Whether people realise it or not, the belief that Liverpool fans think of themselves as victims is impossible to separate from events like Hillsborough, not least because those attitudes partly informed the responses to it.

Either way, lots of people are still with us who lost loved ones and were roundly mocked by the British establishment and other football fans about it for decades. Every time the knuckle draggers from another club make sure this issue resurfaces yet again, that's more hurt cause to those people, and for what?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Well unless you can tell me different it supposedly came from the 2004 Spectator leader written by Boris Johnson saying that Liverpool people were always looking to be victims and that their drunken fans were responsible for Hillsborough. So people might be ignorant, but it is in fact about this and shouldn't be sung.

W

WasStefan

Stefan, is it too much to ask for people to just not sing songs which may invoke images of stadium disasters in which loads of people died? I hate the 'Sign On' chant for similar reasons, it's just really grim and not actually funny, particularly when people all across the country can't afford to heat their homes and feed their children.

Every team's fanbase has a chip on its shoulder with regards refereeing decisions and the like, but for some reason nobody sings about the fans of other clubs being self-perceived 'victims', only Liverpool... I wonder why...

Whether people realise it or not, the belief that Liverpool fans think of themselves as victims is impossible to separate from events like Hillsborough, not least because those attitudes partly informed the responses to it.

Either way, lots of people are still with us who lost loved ones and were roundly mocked by the British establishment and other football fans about it for decades. Every time the knuckle draggers from another club make sure this issue resurfaces yet again, that's more hurt cause to those people, and for what?
I’m glad i’ll never share a pint with you

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've claimed this 'always the victim' song as Hillsborough related and it's not right.

I've been reading the comments between Madeley and Wolves fans on Twitter and it links to one article where it's stated that this song became prominent at a Manchester United vs Liverpool game which was after the Suarez/Evra incident.

There was 20 years+ for that song to become common place if it was about Hillsborough. It didn't.

The way Liverpool acted with the Suarez/Evra incident was embarrassing and 'always the victim' actually fits that. They twisted everything, they wore shirts in support of the player etc.

So, as far as I can see, that's the starting point and that's hugely important in this situation.

Then, it can be applied to other things. The way they moan in general - look at the excuses Klopp makes up when they lose, there's a long list of ridiculous statements. There's the blaming of Chelsea fans after Heysel. There's Heysel itself, does that get the coverage it deserves? Liverpool fans rioting caused 39 deaths and many don't feel as though it's fully remembered as it should be. You could back that up by the fact Liverpool decided to hold a trophy parade on the same day in 2022.

Of course, there will be a minority that attach Hillsborough to all of this, I won't pretend there isn't.

However, it's far more complex than 'always the victim' = Hillsborough. It's something Liverpool have tried to own and make a fact, which ironically fits.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
He’s bound to have a holiday or 4 coming up soon so wouldn’t loose any sleep over this guy

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard the sign on chant, no idea what the victim chant is. No idea what this Hillsborough song or reference to it. This is all new to me.
It essentially is "Always the victim, never your fault". I must admit that l always thought that it related to Heysel and the aftermath. Still tasteless and not something that l personally would sing..... To be clear l heard no such song on Saturday.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Accusing wolves fans of singing about Hillsborough
the issue here is we don’t know.

always the victim in my mind has zero to do with hillsborough, however i know some do associate it with that.

i’m especially sensitive to Hillsborough with coming from that area and having friends there etc

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
It essentially is "Always the victim, never your fault". I must admit that l always thought that it related to Heysel and the aftermath. Still tasteless and not something that l personally would sing..... To be clear l heard not such song on Saturday.
I didn't hear this on Saturday either so regardless of what is is or isn't about is irrelevant if no one other than him seems to have heard it sung anyway. Though got to be honest I wasn't even aware of this chant until reading this thread.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Sadly I did hear the victim song sung by just a few idiots in the South bank on Saturday.

W

WasStefan

View attachment 33041
Try to justify it to yourselves all you want, it comes from this.
So the disaster happened in 89, apparently the chant started in 2011 after Suarez/Evra incident, now you’re saying it started in 04.

Point i’m making no one has any clue when it started therefore what the intention of it was originally. Some say it started soon after 85 Heysel disaster.

Not one person on Saturday sung it with Hillsborough in mind, but 100% had in their minds Klopp’s incessant moaning and excuse making.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So these fans haven’t ripped up and destroyed seats at their last few visits to our ground?

Sorry to take this away from football but….. They blame everything Socio-economically in regards to crime and unemployment on everyone but themselves. their “**** the torries” chants at every event and the “scouse not English” nonsense plus booing the monarchy and the national Anthem do not help my view of them always being the victims…..

Nothing to do with the two catastrophic events in my views of why I call them that.

They never take responsibility for anything as a city

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dress it up however you like but there are 2 indisputable facts here. Firstly, most Scousers do have a victim mentality. It’s in their DNA. Hillsborough feeds into that, for obvious reasons, however it’s the equivalent of playing the race card to try and link this personality trait solely to that tragic event. It seeks to shut down debate, which people typically tend to do when they have no argument.

Second fact, this Madeley bloke seems a complete and utter ******* and an even worse appointment than Nathan Jones.

Edited to add… anyone signing sign on should be banned for life. The single most embarrassing chant to ever grace a football stadium.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 33041
Try to justify it to yourselves all you want, it comes from this.
The victims of Hillsborough and subsequent cover-up united all of Merseyside and yet Everton fans have sung this to Liverpool fairly regularly (Google it if you don't believe me). That would make me question your assertion.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the disaster happened in 89, apparently the chant started in 2011 after Suarez/Evra incident, now you’re saying it started in 04.

Point i’m making no one has any clue when it started therefore what the intention of it was originally. Some say it started soon after 85 Heysel disaster.

Not one person on Saturday sung it with Hillsborough in mind, but 100% had in their minds Klopp’s incessant moaning and excuse making.
Too right, I've never associated it with Hillsborough and find it amusing that some, for political reasons, associate it with a BJ article in the Spectator, the go-to magazine for your average football fan. :)

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard it a few times from the Steve Bull Upper, it 100% happened and was quite loud late on.

As my previous post outlines, I don't have a problem with it and I don't like Madeley but it without doubt happened, so he's not lying on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom