Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Madeley

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
Apologies if there's already a thread on our new(ish) Athletic correspondant, but every time I see this bloke tweet I absolutely despair.

I think every minor or major Wolves development we've had since he took over, he's been M.I.A for days or if he's in the country and working he still doesn't tweet about it until about 6 hours after everybody else!

He's arguing with fans currently and fails to understand that we'd like a journalist to actually ask some questions and not just be another mouthpiece for the club. Spiers had similar critique too but actually broke some decent news, Madeley is years behind Liam Keen, Nathan Judah, Tim Nash and the boys at talking Wolves too.

I always felt Spiers got a bad rap from our fans and a lot of unneeded abuse, I actually think he's one of the better club journalists out there and compared to Madeley he's an absolute diamond!

Last edited:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vote with your feet and simply cancel your Atheltic subscription.

Keen and Judah are great, really enjoy their podcasts.

I don't think the club would actually be allowed to 'black out' the E&S like they did years ago. Keen asks the questions and I don't think Davis is bending the truth with his answers.

If Sellars had anything about him, he'd contact a journo and release his side of events to protect his rep.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He does come across as a bit of a tit on Twitter but just unfollow him if he offends you that much? Plenty of other Wolves content providers on Twitter

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
He does come across as a bit of a tit on Twitter but just unfollow him if he offends you that much? Plenty of other Wolves content providers on Twitter
He doesn’t offend me, cancelled my subscription a long time ago but considering I’ve a few months left I still follow him
and read his content until it ends

I’m just amazed how poor he is at the role. I could easily forgive the subpar content as there is a number of other better journalists out there as you said, but I do find it amazing that he’s even still in the role considering he seems to miss every major development by a good few hours.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see his full article but I am struggling to disagree with what I have seen.

Journalists need to be 'putting it on' the club.

Fans want answers.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
This is what I did. If I want an albion fans opinion on wolves I’ll ask the idiots I know certainly not paying to read Steve madeleys rambling rubbish

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Don't look at him on Twitter, but his article about Sellars this morning seems to be someone trying to step back a bit and be objective. He points out the official line, that Sellars isn't involved, but also that he's in the stands talking to the analyst guy Mat Pearson, who is in the dugout. He seems to be quite defensive of Sellars who he says doesn't really have a say in the big decisions. He does come across as an objective journalist with no real love of the club.

What mystifies me is that if he is the most senior football man at the club, but isn't really driving most of the signings, or the manager selection, then that means Shi is not just signing stuff off, but actually making footballing decisions. Surely that is utter madness (not that I'm saying it's not true!)

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't see his full article but I am struggling to disagree with what I have seen.

Journalists need to be 'putting it on' the club.

Fans want answers.
I'm calling bull**** on Mendes leading the manager hunt and recommending Sasa Kaladjzic

I'm also calling bull**** on Sellars knowing nothing about any of the players signed.

Madeley then contradicts himself by saying Sellars did recommend Collins and Traore. But it was Shi who signed then off.

Even the most basic rudimentary knowledge of business would tell Madeley that purchases over a certain level need to go to board approval.

He's a crap, lazy, Albion loving journalist.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm calling bull**** on Mendes leading the manager hunt and recommending Sasa Kaladjzic

I'm also calling bull**** on Sellars knowing nothing about any of the players signed.

Madeley then contradicts himself by saying Sellars did recommend Collins and Traore. But it was Shi who signed then off.

Even the most basic rudimentary knowledge of business would tell Madeley that purchases over a certain level need to go to board approval.

He's a crap, lazy, Albion loving journalist.
I could only see a paragraph of it but yeah, that's complete rubbish.

He's actually a Walsall fan apparently.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems really poor and as thread starter points out he is behind the curve on everything and actually confirms what other journos have said. He doesn’t have an in depth understanding of wolves or the game it appears. Whilst he got some things wrong I actually liked Spiers, and his tweeting during games is both informative, amusing and demonstrates a fans passion. He does the same for Spurs now.

Madely’s argument about Sellars is fundamentally flawed and he could have had this corroborated by Spiers or Keen as one of them interviewed Sellars for their podcast and Sellars actually said we wouldn’t sign anyone unless he agreed and likewise we wouldn’t sign anyone unless Bruno agreed. So to say he has no say in the big decisions is rubbish.

Journalists should be asking serious questions of the club but it needs Sellars and Shi to be willing to front up.

I cancelled my subscription because the coverage of Wolves was as poor as the performances on the pitch.

AberWolf

Reaction score
I think his ineptitude and poor writing highlights more what we've lost in Spiers

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He seems really poor and as thread starter points out he is behind the curve on everything and actually confirms what other journos have said. He doesn’t have an in depth understanding of wolves or the game it appears. Whilst he got some things wrong I actually liked Spiers, and his tweeting during games is both informative, amusing and demonstrates a fans passion. He does the same for Spurs now.

Madely’s argument about Sellars is fundamentally flawed and he could have had this corroborated by Spiers or Keen as one of them interviewed Sellars for their podcast and Sellars actually said we wouldn’t sign anyone unless he agreed and likewise we wouldn’t sign anyone unless Bruno agreed. So to say he has no say in the big decisions is rubbish.

Journalists should be asking serious questions of the club but it needs Sellars and Shi to be willing to front up.

I cancelled my subscription because the coverage of Wolves was as poor as the performances on the pitch.

None of them are asking any sort of serious questions about the club. Sad really.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them are asking any sort of serious questions about the club. Sad really.
Journalists should be asking questions and I expect some of them are but if Shi and Sellars don’t answer then there is not a lot to report.

What is perhaps more concerning is that journalists keep referring them to Jeff and Scott. I understand the latter in terms of twitter and saving 2 characters but it makes it appear that it’s all very pally pally and they’re nice people really and how dare the lumpen proletariat that fork out £600 plus criticise. The same was used with Johnson where he referred to constantly as Boris rather than the slimy, two faced lying ******* who couldn’t give a flying **** about anyone but himself, former Prime Minister Johnson.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read the article. Basically, Madeley says Sellars is being made a scapegoat unfairly. He says he had a hand in the Collins and Boubs signings, but not the expensive Mendes ones, and has had nothing to do with the coach search. He also says he doesn’t have any control over the team or tactics, and is just there to cover the gap in backroom analysis. Basically, Sellars has not been involved in anything which has gone wrong, but had a hand in some of the few bright spots. The final paragraph from the article sums it up…

“After a result that left Wolves in 19th place in the Premier League, level on nine points with bottom side Nottingham Forest, Sellars will need to prepare himself to bear the brunt of further anger in the weeks ahead.

But he should not be the main man in the crosshairs.”

It’s an article clearly written after Madeley has spoken with Sellars, and given there is some criticism of Shi and Fosun in it, then it may support the rumours that there’s been a falling out between Shi and Sellars, and this is Sellars getting his story out before further developments.

NJ Wolves

Reaction score
Really miss Spiers, this guy is hopeless.

Cancelled Athletic during transfer window but still follow him on Twitter. He's got to be the most boring person on the planet.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read the article. Basically, Madeley says Sellars is being made a scapegoat unfairly. He says he had a hand in the Collins and Boubs signings, but not the expensive Mendes ones, and has had nothing to do with the coach search. He also says he doesn’t have any control over the team or tactics, and is just there to cover the gap in backroom analysis. Basically, Sellars has not been involved in anything which has gone wrong, but had a hand in some of the few bright spots. The final paragraph from the article sums it up…

“After a result that left Wolves in 19th place in the Premier League, level on nine points with bottom side Nottingham Forest, Sellars will need to prepare himself to bear the brunt of further anger in the weeks ahead.

But he should not be the main man in the crosshairs.”

It’s an article clearly written after Madeley has spoken with Sellars, and given there is some criticism of Shi and Fosun in it, then it may support the rumours that there’s been a falling out between Shi and Sellars, and this is Sellars getting his story out before further developments.

The article is absurd. Dont tell me Mendes was leading a manager search, that ended with us interviewing Beale, Edwards and Anthony Berry....

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, for clarity, can someone quote me the bit where he says Mendes is in charge of our manager search?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, for clarity, can someone quote me the bit where he says Mendes is in charge of our manager search?

Quote…

“Neither did Sellars lead the fraught search for a new head coach that led to two rejections and the eventual decision to stick with an interim management team for the foreseeable future.

Again, Sellars had a say but Shi and Mendes made the running.”

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see what he has written that isn't true.

Good journalism is when you aren't scared to upset people with the truth.

How is he a club mouthpiece when he is blaming Fosun?
I increasingly can't help but wonder, looking at the totality of your responses, if you are Scott Sellars.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people are realising now that Spiers was actually a decent bloke who got a lot of unnecessary stick, and a lot of his opinion pieces were excellent, and most importantly, written from the heart, and he had a decent sense of humour as well. Madeley has no real connection to Wolves, and seems to spend half his time picking pointless fights with Wolves fans on twitter with his ridiculously outlandish takes, or talking about cricket.

Not a great look for The Athletic who pride themselves on bringing the best coverage of sports across the board, when the E&S pair of Keen and Judah are far more likable and engaging. I know Judah especially isn't to everyone's taste, but I absolutely despise Madeley. I unsubscribed from The Athletic last month, no intention of renewing while Madeley is reporting on the club.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think people are realising now that Spiers was actually a decent bloke who got a lot of unnecessary stick, and a lot of his opinion pieces were excellent, and most importantly, written from the heart, and he had a decent sense of humour as well. Madeley has no real connection to Wolves, and seems to spend half his time picking pointless fights with Wolves fans on twitter with his ridiculously outlandish takes, or talking about cricket.

Not a great look for The Athletic who pride themselves on bringing the best coverage of sports across the board, when the E&S pair of Keen and Judah are far more likable and engaging. I know Judah especially isn't to everyone's taste, but I absolutely despise Madeley. I unsubscribed from The Athletic last month, no intention of renewing while Madeley is reporting on the club.
Considering he's writing for an outlet that depend on subs, he has a habit of regularly rubbing his target audience up the wrong way

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would agree with him that Sellars shouldn't be the only one copping some flak. There's plenty of that to go around. A plague on all their houses.

But as other have said, Madeley glosses over some issues. Sellars has stated publicly he has a say on transfers to the point he can veto deals the head coach wants. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Sellars says he has that power. Did Mendes suggest Michael Beale? If he did that's a hell of a scoop by Madeley, but I don't believe it.

The overriding issue is the that club's leadership as a collective, including Shi, Sellars, Lage, the players and the rest, have put the club in a situation like this where journalists can write this stuff. I wish they would have other benign things to write about to occupy their time.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Keen and Judah are great, really enjoy their podcasts.

I don't think the club would actually be allowed to 'black out' the E&S like they did years ago. Keen asks the questions and I don't think Davis is bending the truth with his answers.

If Sellars had anything about him, he'd contact a journo and release his side of events to protect his rep.

Judah is very much a marmite figure for me: at times I find him needlessly loud and irritating, but I very much like the way he says things as they are. I often find myself nodding along to his podcast rants on the club’s (many) current ills.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I increasingly can't help but wonder, looking at the totality of your responses, if you are Scott Sellars.

Well you have proven that you'll believe anything. Just tap your shoes and wish.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's worth people considering why people might need to take long absences from work at what are deemed 'important' times by those on the outside looking in.

Be human, and think about it, before criticising people for taking holidays or extended leave.

As for his writing, seems alright to me. Seems to be speaking the truth. Overall, would say Wolves are one of the poorest in terms of that output too mind. If you look at Leeds, for example, Phil Hay is out of this world. Then obviously the 'big' clubs have a lot to choose from. E&S is just guff as well but perhaps more engaging because they're a bit more lively on social media and do videos.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Surprised he had the time to post, the blole is constantly on leave

He must be reading the forum as he's just tweeted he's on leave again this week! Let's hope we don't appoint a new manager until after Brentford...

Marzt

Reaction score
Seeing Spier's Spurs-related tweets is like watching an ex 'win' by living well. I think Skrilla is totally right in that people are perhaps now seeing that he was a really good fit as the main journo reporting on us, effectively as one of us. Madeley may have the benefit of totally impartial opinion but he has the bad luck of entering into the role just as we are stumbling into a freefall; when you couple that turmoil with his quite defensive attitude is makes people just want to dislike him too.

I think you can't negate the fact that he isn't a very public presence as well, Spiers had an excellent podcast, had established himself visibly with E&S videos with Judah previously and had a couple of live podcasts too; now on the other hand I don't even know what Madeley sounds like and only know what he looks like from his twitter pic. Sure it isn't a journalists job to be a pseudo-celeb within the football club but it goes a long way in drumming up an audience that appreciates their input.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quote…

“Neither did Sellars lead the fraught search for a new head coach that led to two rejections and the eventual decision to stick with an interim management team for the foreseeable future.

Again, Sellars had a say but Shi and Mendes made the running.”
Well that’s a stupid thing to write as a trained Amoeba knows Beale would not have been on Mendes, therefore Shi’s radar. I believe it was @Hoganstolemywife who said that Beale wasn’t Shi’s choice, which means a) there were more than Shi and Mendes involved b) Shi can be persuaded c) it’s a collective decision d) we didn’t have a list of potential candidates which is down to the Technical Director. What it clearly demonstrates is that Madely doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that’s a stupid thing to write as a trained Amoeba knows Beale would not have been on Mendes, therefore Shi’s radar. I believe it was @Hoganstolemywife who said that Beale wasn’t Shi’s choice, which means a) there were more than Shi and Mendes involved b) Shi can be persuaded c) it’s a collective decision d) we didn’t have a list of potential candidates which is down to the Technical Director. What it clearly demonstrates is that Madely doesn’t know what he’s doing.

I think it shows that Madeley is simply parroting what Sellars has told him. If I were Shi reading that, I would not be pleased at all.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers was repeating Madeleys words today on the Totally Football Show, sounding quite happy to be back on old hunting grounds (It's all Mendes fault, etc).
Basically saying Sellars has no power at all. Also said there's no structure at the club so it's either Mendes or nothing. This time Mendes offered Nuno and when Shi said no, there was no alternative.
Somehow that (according to Spiers) is Mendes fault, even though the job of a DOF is to build such structure.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all seriousness who do we believe came up with Edwards, Beale and Anthony. Was it Sellars or Mendes because to be honest the answer is pretty bloody obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom