Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Steve Bull Stand

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
I love my little stand, always walk straight in bout 20mins b4 ko , OK cud do with more than 6 loos but I've never wet myself queuing ;), never buy food or drink in the ground so that don't effect me, but yes I do have long legs so cud do with a little more room :), just can't see how they are ever going to rebuild it with relocating us all

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just wait for an injury and then go. I'm a bit of a camel though. Six pints before the game and then slash it out during the second half.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they were the cheapest colour option at the time.
Pretty much sure that they were one of the only three or four options available at the time. Also we were in financial troubles due to the escalating cost of the stand and rising interest rates

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People were clearly very slim and no taller than 5'10 in the late 70's.
There were standard height, weight estimates used in building based in 1950s research.... Try a vintage bus etc...

I remember going to the US in the late 80s and being unable not to laugh about the number of stupidly obese people. I couldn't imagine that in UK. Guess what....

JJ59

Reaction score
There were standard height, weight estimates used in building based in 1950s research.... Try a vintage bus etc...

I remember going to the US in the late 80s and being unable not to laugh about the number of stupidly obese people. I couldn't imagine that in UK. Guess what....
In the 80s I recall Brits in Epcot Florida taking pictures of XXXL visitors to show folk back home. It seemed unbelievable that there could be so many obese folk waddling about. Food portions there were huge but generally not tasty or appetizing.

TooMutchBull

Reaction score
Charming! we suggest it's a bit cramped in there and then get told to go on the Atkins diet tubby! Just as well I can't get a pie in the queues at half time.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
In the 80s I recall Brits in Epcot Florida taking pictures of XXXL visitors to show folk back home. It seemed unbelievable that there could be so many obese folk waddling about. Food portions there were huge but generally not tasty or appetizing.
I remember buying a large coke at some place in America in the 90s and it was basically a bucket full of pop with a lid and a straw. I think that mega sizes are banned now but I believe that free refills are still a thing over there.

beppe7619

Reaction score
Time to take note of Brighton - developing the stadium and the team in tandem.
Our ground, especially the Steve Bull, is way behind the curve. We've got the balance between the players and the stadium all wrong.
Trouble is that most of our fans prefer the instant fix of a new signing to something that will benefit the club and its supporters for a generation.
Fosun need to show leadership and vision.
Guedes or Steve bull stand

beppe7619

Reaction score
I love my little stand, always walk straight in bout 20mins b4 ko , OK cud do with more than 6 loos but I've never wet myself queuing ;), never buy food or drink in the ground so that don't effect me, but yes I do have long legs so cud do with a little more room :), just can't see how they are ever going to rebuild it with relocating us all
They could put a tier on the south bank 6000 and add to the north bank then do the bully easy fit people in the stands rebuild the Steve bull put changing rooms and player’s entrance in there then do the Billy Wright stand easy

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s still fulfilling its purpose and we need investment on the pitch far more

beppe7619

Reaction score
Scousers where banging on the executive box windows after the match in the steve bull stand

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They could put a tier on the south bank 6000 and add to the north bank then do the bully easy fit people in the stands rebuild the Steve bull put changing rooms and player’s entrance in there then do the Billy Wright stand easy
Something like this. Like we've discussed elsewhere, extend the South Bank, then add a South Bank / Bully corner, extend the quad. Then you can relocate us Bully ST holders and work on the Bully in a couple of parts. Other clubs do it so we can do it.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scousers where banging on the executive box windows after the match in the steve bull stand
We'd have done the same.

There were some Scouse wronguns walking through town though, hitting random people with an inflatable, sounds daft but it was nasty. It was one of those moments where you want our rowdy mob around (who were mostly still in the South Bank), to make em stop n think.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our ground, especially the Steve Bull, is way behind the curve. We've got the balance between the players and the stadium all wrong.
Trouble is that most of our fans prefer the instant fix of a new signing to something that will benefit the club and its supporters for a generation.

Brighton have done well recently. But before lauding them too much, we should remember that their move to Falmer took more than a decade, in which time, they played at a pretty crappy council facility and didn’t do any great shakes on the pitch either. We should also remember the cautionary tale of their south coast cousins at Southampton. Equally lauded for years, for their move to a modern stadium, stellar academy, and sensible squad management. Look where that’s got them. They will likely be joined by Leicester, who also have a modern stadium, have a PL title, FA Cup and European football in the last decade… While it seems unlikely, there is nothing stopping Brighton from ending up in the same predicament this time next year.

I do agree on the broader point about needing a vision. I think the club do have a vision for the club as a whole, and in developing the Wolves “brand” to grow commercial income. They appear to have little or no vision for Molineux, or the surrounding land, which is a disappointment.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. We could temporarily move to Aldersly stadium for ten seasons whilst developing a new ground in Penkridge.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, balls. That took me a while squinting at the screen to write what Sussex did far better in many more words lined up in the correct order.

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A completely theoretical/historical question. If events hadn't taken the course they had, and we had ended up with the whole ground constructed like the John Ireland/Steve Bull - would we be in a better or worse situation now (stadium wise)?
Interesting question. I think without the construction of the New Stand in the late 70s it is hard to imagine Wolves still playing at Molineux in 1990. The Bradford fire would have condemned three sides of the stadium and, post Hillsborough, the South Bank would be doomed too.

The amazing thing about the late 70s redevelopment was its sheer ambition though. If the stadium had been completed as planned it would have been the best in the country (remember what grounds in the 80s were like). Sadly it looks like there were no real plans for how to pay for it but assuming there were it would have held FA Cup semis etc. Who knows? Most likely the debt would have killed the club as it would be beyond saving.

Chances are by now we’d be moaning about cramped seats, narrow concourses and the whole 80s vibe of the place. And maybe scratching our heads wondering what to do with all that concrete.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting question. I think without the construction of the New Stand in the late 70s it is hard to imagine Wolves still playing at Molineux in 1990. The Bradford fire would have condemned three sides of the stadium and, post Hillsborough, the South Bank would be doomed too.

The amazing thing about the late 70s redevelopment was its sheer ambition though. If the stadium had been completed as planned it would have been the best in the country (remember what grounds in the 80s were like). Sadly it looks like there were no real plans for how to pay for it but assuming there were it would have held FA Cup semis etc. Who knows? Most likely the debt would have killed the club as it would be beyond saving.

Chances are by now we’d be moaning about cramped seats, narrow concourses and the whole 80s vibe of the place. And maybe scratching our heads wondering what to do with all that concrete.
If you're talking about ambition there were concrete plans drawn up in the late 50's to redevelop the ground in the 60's to a 70,000 capacity stadium, but these were rejected by Wolverhampton Council. One can only wonder what might have been if they had been allowed to go ahead with the plans. Maybe the whole 80's fiasco would never have occurred.

Air Wolf 90

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you're talking about ambition there were concrete plans drawn up in the late 50's to redevelop the ground in the 60's to a 70,000 capacity stadium, but these were rejected by Wolverhampton Council. One can only wonder what might have been if they had been allowed to go ahead with the plans. Maybe the whole 80's fiasco would never have occurred.
Very true but that late 50s style design was very much a rebuild on the same footprint and would have had cramped side stands and an enormous south bank. Certainly would have lasted better than the 1935 Molineux though but ultimately the club would have to expand or move. The construction of the New Stand, as over ambitious as it was, at least ensured that the footprint of the stadium was increased and probably ensured Wolves wouldn’t eventually be forced to move (although just survival became more of a priority).

Fun fact - the Steve Bull stand will soon be older than the age of the iconic stand it replaced (old Molineux Street was built in 1932, demolished 1979 so 47 years-ish). The New Stand is now in its 44th year…

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It looked very dated even at the time, so I imagine we’d be needing to knock down even more concrete than just the Steve Bull stand right now.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I heard when the council rejected the plans that was us finished and teams like Man U went miles ahead of us

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Isn’t stadium redevelopment about to be included in FFP. It’s currently nothing to do with it and doesn’t count towards it but as soon as it does we can kiss goodbye to any major improvements until we are a genuine, 100% guaranteed self reliant top 10 outfit.
It should be the opposite, show youve invested in the facilities and get points in your favour for ffp. Keeps the stadiums modern and improves image of PL...

Reactions: Ned

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For all the criticism of the ground, ISTR that when SJH rebuilt the stadium, it was given an award for the “best disabled facilities” or something similar.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very true but that late 50s style design was very much a rebuild on the same footprint and would have had cramped side stands and an enormous south bank. Certainly would have lasted better than the 1935 Molineux though but ultimately the club would have to expand or move. The construction of the New Stand, as over ambitious as it was, at least ensured that the footprint of the stadium was increased and probably ensured Wolves wouldn’t eventually be forced to move (although just survival became more of a priority).

Fun fact - the Steve Bull stand will soon be older than the age of the iconic stand it replaced (old Molineux Street was built in 1932, demolished 1979 so 47 years-ish). The New Stand is now in its 44th year…
That’s a mad fact.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s a very interesting question. As we all know, football was a very different business then from now. It was even before the era of the wealthy owners who lifted the likes of Blackburn to the very top. But imagine a slightly younger Sir Jack being successful in his proposed takeover in 1982 instead of the Bhatti Bros, eight years earlier than he eventually did. Imagine that he initially invests in the team, preventing the steep decline which came in the early eighties, and later redevelops Molineux. In this alternative history, we may have remained a top flight team, still a relatively large club with relatively high attendances. Our average attendance in 79/80 was 36k, and comfortably 25k+ while in the top flight during the 70’s. So instead of building a 29k stadium, imagine instead he built a 35k stadium. In this history, we are one of the original PL clubs, with a modern stadium similar in size to most of the top flight teams of the time. A great foundation to the new wealthy football era, and who knows where that could have led us…

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
I was looking back at Steve Morgan’s original plans earlier.

When announced in 2010, the redevelopment/rebuild of the horseshoe (3 sides of Molineux) was projected to cost £40m.

Really doesn’t sound like a lot of money these days does it?

We all know why it didn’t happen, but looking back how different things would be now if he’d seen that project through.

Edit: although It would have meant a 2 tier South Bank - which would have been a mistake.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't seem a lot of money now, no, but let's not forget about eleven years ago the ground was singing "**** the team, and build a stand."

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't seem a lot of money now, no, but let's not forget about eleven years ago the ground was singing "**** the team, and build a stand."
And now it would maybe cost 200m to rebuild Steve Bull and South Bank.
In 11 years time that would be the equivalent of 500m?

beppe7619

Reaction score
I was looking back at Steve Morgan’s original plans earlier.

When announced in 2010, the redevelopment/rebuild of the horseshoe (3 sides of Molineux) was projected to cost £40m.

Really doesn’t sound like a lot of money these days does it?

We all know why it didn’t happen, but looking back how different things would be now if he’d seen that project through.

Edit: although It would have meant a 2 tier South Bank - which would have been a mistake.
I really do think that if we went ahead with Morgan’s plans we would still be looking to expand now from 40000. Morgan messed up by not making the north bank a 12000 capacity stand

GV Wolf

Reaction score
The club explained what they intend to do last summer and it wasn’t any of the above.

Back
Top Bottom