Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stephen Ward - not linked or dead

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Stephen Ward has announced his retirement from international football at the age of 33 after winning 50 caps for the Republic of Ireland as a full back - not a bad haul for someone who started here as a striker, then a winger before dropping back, and who many Wolves fans thought was not good enough for us in the old days - still more chance for the Doc now though.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stephen Ward has announced his retirement from international football at the age of 33 after winning 50 caps for the Republic of Ireland as a full back - not a bad haul for someone who started here as a striker, then a winger before dropping back, and who many Wolves fans thought was not good enough for us in the old days - still more chance for the Doc now though.
Well done Ward, not the greatest, but still a massively underrated player by some Wolves fans.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shame he never got to play much as a striker for us,I always thought he looked reasonably handy there when he did.

W

Wolves in Bucharest

Until this season the one player from Mick’s time in charge who in every season since he left has been at a club that finished above us and has indeed played consistently for those clubs. Indeed played for a number of those seasons in the Premiership. A good servant to the Wolves, a decent bloke. All too often the target of the boo boys. Your only retiring from the international scene Stephen, presumably you may make one or two more appearances against us.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good servant not the most talented but served us well never the less. Good Luck Wardy.

W

we8wba

Carved out a great career

Is he currently fit? Last season Burnley he was excellent first half season before injury and since then haven’t really spotted him? Albeit Charlie Taylor has replaced him to high level

Wigan Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember standing on the Anfield Road End watching him score, then I started shouting Wardinho, Wardinho only to get some strange looks from the locals.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
171 prem appearances shows he had more talent than where we were playing. Proved us all wrong.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never understood the mentality of deciding you don't want to represent your country any more. Even if it is just to be backup if needed on the bench while your long-term replacement is being bloodied.
You should never retire from International football, always be available if your country needs you in any capacity, if you're any kind of patriot.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Stephen Ward is a proof that if you have brains you can overcome a shortage of skills in any domain, football included.

Not that he had no skills but there are many more skillful players than him.

But he always appeared to me as someone who
1) is intelligent in his play
2) knows how to make the most of what his abilities
3) is able to adjust and change
4) works hard on his deficiencies

Well done Stephen Ward.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good boy was Stephen Ward, and a shame he became a whipping boy for us - he had the last laughs really :-}

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love to see Ward vs. Traore. Who wouldn't be able to back off quick enough :D

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick McCarthy was asked to name his best player on the Old Gold Podcast last week.

He squirmed a bit and talked about it being difficult to choose as players have different attributes, then he settled on Stephen Ward.

He said for him to have come in as a striker, before being a winger, then to convert into a fullback and for him to then go on and play regular Premier League and International football in that position was one of his proudest achievements.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The mad theory of Stephen ward going out with mick daughter was the only reason he played lol.

Now they must have split up and he don’t want to go on international duty to see him.

FinnishWolf

Reaction score
Shame he never got to play much as a striker for us,I always thought he looked reasonably handy there when he did.
Funnily enough, I feel he could have done well as a wing-back in a system similar to our current one.

Always liked Wardy, good luck to him! (And also, bloody hell, is he 33 already? I guess it really has been almost a decade since Mick's "young and hungry" team, huh...)

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never understood the mentality of deciding you don't want to represent your country any more. Even if it is just to be backup if needed on the bench while your long-term replacement is being bloodied.
You should never retire from International football, always be available if your country needs you in any capacity, if you're any kind of patriot.
I guess, to some people, it allows them to draw a mental line in their lives.
I do object to those who announce their retirement from the national team in a fit of pique.
BTW, I would like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from the English team, and my agent should be contacted in order to arrange interviews or presentations.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe not the most talented player we have ever had, but he was certainly nowhere near as bad as the boo boys suggested. He has never let anyway down, irrespective of which club he has been at.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always respected Stephen Ward.A great servant to the club under Mick.
A class act on and off the pitch.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Full and total respect for Wardy.

Came out and professionally held his hands up publicly in the Irish press, absolving Solbakken of any blame on his sacking with the extremely difficult 'identity shift'....fully understood that the limitations of the old players impacted badly on the situation as it needed to be with the effort - contrary to absurd reports of leading a revolt against him to the Board.

Had his weaknesses but was always a honest, committed trier.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of respect for Ward as a professional, and for the career he's had. But let's not kid ourselves that he was any good at left back for us, unless you call running backwards at speed an appropriate defensive tactic. He was only there because Mick failed to sign a decent left back, though fair play he clearly came on leaps and bounds after he left us.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Great servant to Wolves and represented all that was good about the McCarthy era.

And we’ll always have Anfield...

K

Knocker Lite

Made the most of what he had and now makes a key decision to help prolong his club career.

Back
Top Bottom